Start by marking “Starlight #1” as Want to Read:
Starlight #1

Starlight #1

(Starlight #1)

Forty years ago, Duke McQueen was the space hero who saved the universe. But then he came back home, got married, had kids, and grew old. Now his children have left and his wife has passed away, leaving him alone with nothing except his memories...until a call comes from a distant world asking him back for his final and greatest adventure.

This issue launches the much-anti
Published March 5th 2014 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Starlight #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starlight #1

Nicolo Yu
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fcbd-2014
Mark Millar's creator-owned Millarworld properties are often his analogue versions of some of comics' venerable characters. His Nemesis with Steve McNiven was a Batman/Joker super-crime story hybrid; his Superior with Leinil Yu was essentially a modern Captain Marvel/Shazam superhero wish fulfillment tale; and his recent Jupiter's Legacy with Frank Quitely could be easily re-branded as Superman's Legacy.

His new title, Starlight, a property co-created with artist Goran Parlov, draws an older insp
Luke Burrage
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Free comic!

I quite liked this one, mainly because the opening felt cliched, then turned out to be a dream. Then there was a sweet family story with a father and two sons. Then the dream was hinted at being real.

I liked the ambiguity.

And then the ambiguity ended. Once again I felt like this could have remained a fun story about family and grief and moving on. If it had ended at page 23 instead of page 25, on a cliffhanger to sell me into issue #2, it would have stood alone as a really good short
Alfonso Junquera perez
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sentido de la aventura total. Un homenaje a los heroes pulp estilo Flash Gordon y a la Space Opera en general. Una autentica delicia.
Ian Wood
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Rob Pettinato
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Trying to keep this review as spoiler-free as possible.

Starlight, written by Mark Millar and illustrated by Goran Parlov, is the first in a series of books that take place in an expanded and connected Millarworld Universe. Millar was smart to choose Starlight as the book to set the tone for the future of the entire MwU. Grounded mostly on what seems to be our Earth, we do get some flashbacks of our protagonist, Duke McQueen, a former test pilot, playing hero and saving the universe in another di
Mark
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Duke McKean is a retired astronaut who claims to have visited and saved an alien world but no one, most of all his sons, believe him. HIs world is sadder now with the death of his wife and he is living a depressed, lonely life when a young visitor from that alien planet he once saved arrives to bring him back to save it once again. This comic is how you do a return to pulp heroes correctly. The story was engaging and zipped along. While it was perhaps always foreseeable and some people will be p ...more
Robert Morganbesser
Like Flash Gordon on crack

Looking for fun? Love space opera? Well look no further. Because within this volume are the adventures, the two fisted adventures of Duke McQueen, who saved another planet, cane home to disbelief and now has to do it again! Just read it. And have a great time.
Unai
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Como todo lo de Millar de un tiempo a esta parte, hay que ponerlo en cuarentena. Por el momento el primer numero es prometedor, serio (dentro de la idea que propone) y me ha gustado, pero el potencial para convertir una historia decente en pura mierda del este twittmilar hace que no me fíe ni un pelo.
Fiction State Of Mind
Duke Mc Kean has had a full life that is now sadder since the death of his wife. Duke is a retired astronaut who claimed to have visited a wonderous alien world.No one believed him. Now an envoy from the planet has tracked him down, asking for his help one mote time.

I really enjoyed this book. The flashbacks have great space action and the story is really engaging.
Trece
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Es lo mas parejo que he leido de Millar. Aunque todas sus ideas son como storyboards pensando en hacerlo pelicula, esta historia logra mantener lo divertido de la idea a pesar de lo simple. Ya no espero nada de los finales de Millar que tienden a ser decepcionantes, pero este cierra bastante bien para como se cuenta esta historia.
Glenn
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow, Millar writes a very good opening chapter with this one. The human-transported-to-an-alien-world-and-becomes-a-hero story is not new (i.e. Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers), but I'm anxious to see how this one plays out.
Amy
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: image-comics, sci-fi
An interesting idea but not something I want to read issue by issue at this point. Might jump in later when theres more to get my teeth into.
Eric Stellrecht
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great characters, ton of emotion, awesome art. Excited to see where this one goes!
Kathleen Ross
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
The first installment in the Starlight series. Kept me interested enough to want to know more about the character and pick up it's next installment.
Vincent Stoessel
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Always liked Millar's plots and really like this return to Hero SF in comics. Art is cool with some shades of Moebius. A wonderful start.
Lucy Werner
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting start, written in a way where your unsure if you are going to carry on but you don't notice how quickly you are turning to the next page :)
Michael
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The most promising first issue I've read in a while. Parlov's art is great too. Looking forward to the rest of this series.
Paul
Jan 26, 2015
Pencil Fights
Feb 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more

Starlight (6 books)