Start by marking “The Brothers Quibble” as Want to Read:
The Brothers Quibble

The Brothers Quibble

Spalding Quibble ruled the roost.
He shared it with no other.
But then his parents introduced
a brand new baby brother.

Uh oh.

A picture book about love (and war) from the award-winning author of Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley, The Dreadful Fluff and Noah Dreary.
Hardcover
Published 2014 by Penguin Group

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers Quibble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brothers Quibble

Gaby
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for any book that rhymes! I love the exaggerated nature of Spalding as the older brother who dislikes having to share attention with his new baby brother. This is a great book to read aloud and would suit small children who have a new family member (or who knows what it is like to have one).
Brydie Wright
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm relatively new to Aaron Blabey and while Stanley Paste didn't grab my son and I that much, I suspect The Brothers Quibble is more indicative of Blabey at his phenomenally successful best. We loved the take on brotherly love, hate and sibling rivalry. It's a really smart book with a refreshing sense of honesty about what domestic life is really like! I'm sure kids... and parents, can relate. The illustrations are very cool too. A recommended read, particularly for cheeky boys.
Sean Harding
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Aaron Blabey of Pug and Bad Guys fame is here writing about siblings, and how an older brother gets used to having a younger brother. Often told tale, especially in books for younger readers, but this one is quite well done.
Chrissy Byers
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very cute! ✨📚
Charmaine
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Spalding Quibble seemed to have it all; a loving family, his own space, absolutely anything he wanted. Then one day Spalding Quibble gets something that he didn’t even ask for; a new baby brother, Bunny Spalding. So begins a quirky tale told in rhyme that captures the sentiments of sibling rivalry and jealousy to perfection. Although it takes some time and many mischievous happenings, Spalding Quibble eventually learns that love does conquer all.
Dimity Powell
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
Consummate Blabey. I don't always warm as quickly to some of his work as perhaps I should, however this sprightly tale of being forced to share your kingdom with hitherto zero consultation not only rings loud and true, it is also incredibly funny, visually stirring (my Miss 9 remained in perplexed fascination over the outfit choice, or lack thereof, of Spalding Quibble) and musical to read out loud. Aaron Blabey ticks all the boxes with this one.
Cai
Spalding Quibble has a new baby brother and he soon finds out all the joys of having a little brother!

This book was epic. I absolutely loved how well it captured the transition of the family expanding. When we add to the family, I must buy this for V.

This was read to us at Babes'n'Books at our local library.

V @ 6 months old.
Beth
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: at-home
From the opening lines I was hooked! What a joyously funny book to share with anyone and everyone. I have! Illustrations are thoughtful and unique and gleefully accompany the very smart rhyming text. Getting to know the Quibble brothers is a real treat!
Jbaccon
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Criticised for violence but is there really a sibling who hasn't given their brother or sister a good hard pinch? Blabley does really well in capturing the bittersweetness of the sibling relationship. Great one for exploring the concept of change and growth.
Bev
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How will young Spalding, who is used to ruling the roost, ever adjust to the intrusion of Bunny? The brothers Quibble tells the familiar tale of sibling rivalry that children and adults alike will connect with. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys quality children's literature.
Jacinda
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I must say, being the youngest sibling I didn't quite relate to the main character (more that of the younger brother) but this is a fantastic story of sibling rivalry told in a wonderful rhyming manner.
Librariasaurus
a good read. more research. great recommendation for parents looking for a story to read to a child with themes of new big brother status. Full of mischief, mess and grumpy kids, it's a great little read.
Cass A
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Children's picture book. This book was read for 'Simultaneous Storytime' in Australian libraries in 2015. It was entertaining and looked at sibling rivalry, but I didn't find it connected with my experience of this.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
What a marvellous book. A fabulous tale of sibling rivalry. I generally like Aaron Blabey's books, but I think perhaps this one is my favourite.

Emma
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Brothers Quibble is an excellent sibling introduction book. I have read it so much that I know it by heart.
Alexandra Daw
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Magnificent. What a joy this is from start to finish. So excited that this has been chosen for National Simultaneous Storytime next year. Great choice!
Mere
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The way siblings are supposed to be like.
Kelly
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An impulse borrow from the library resulted in a great read! I love children's books that rhyme and are funny for both kids and the adults who have to read it to them. Fantastic, highly recommended.
Megan Higginson
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
An hilarious book that takes a fun look at the relationships of siblings. It is not smooth, and is sometimes very rocky. But it can be very surprising.
Gervy
Nov 19, 2014
Yvonne
Mar 31, 2014
Menaal Atif
rated it did not like it
Jun 30, 2018
Peter J Casey
May 26, 2015
Leaping Leo369
rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Aaron is an Australian author of children's books and artist who until the mid-2000s was also an actor. His award winning picture books include Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley, The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon and the best-selling Pig the Pug.

In the field of acting, he is probably best known for his lead roles in two television dramedies, 1994's The Damnation of Harvey McHugh, for which he won an