Start by marking “Leonie Martin: A Difficult Life” as Want to Read:
Leonie Martin: A Difficult Life

Leonie Martin: A Difficult Life

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Leonie Martin was the least gifted of the four sisters of St. Therese of Lisieux. She was an emotionally disturbed child who suffered and and caused anguish to her family. Her mother, the heroic Zelie Martin, suffered most of all. Marie Baudouin-Croix, well-known French poet, has examined Zelie's correspondence with her daughters, her sister, her brother, and her sister-in ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Veritas Books (IE) (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Leonie Martin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leonie Martin

Nan
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
There were five Martin sisters. Four of them were healthy and pretty and well-behaved and smart. One of those four, Therese, was canonized only twenty-eight years after her death.

And then there was the fifth sister. Even the family called her "poor Leonie!" Leonie wasn't pretty. She had little or no common sense or impulse control, and probably had what we would today call learning disabilities. Her behavior as a child could be atrocious, upsetting the otherwise near-perfect family life. (It was
Beverly
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
For those who are not familiar with the story of the Martin family, all the surviving Martin children grew up to become cloistered nuns. The most famous, of course, is St. Theresa who was canonized by the Church during her sister's lifetime and made a doctor of the church during ours.

The father of the clan wanted to be a priest, but was lacking in the classical education that was needed at the time. The mother of the clan wanted to be a nun, but was not accepted as a postulate probably due to th
Jana
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A saint for the middle child. Leonie was the "forgotten" sister of St. Therese of Liseux. Often referred to as "poor Leonie" in her childhood, she was the first to follow after her saintly sister's footsteps in the way of spiritual childhood. Her own cause for canonization is being considered...giving hope for any "problem-child" out there.
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this very moving book in just a few hours. It was very worthwhile. I learned a lot about Leonie Martin, the older sister of St. Therese, and the black sheep of the Martin family. This is a must read, especially, for any parent who has a child who is a challenge to raise.
Gigi
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gift of a book. Deeply moving and humbling. Leonie will forever be an example of how to use "The Little Way" of her Sister-Saint to strive for holiness in the midst of so many trials, and to do it all with kindness and fortitude and a smile.
PEGGY KECK
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sainthood?

She should be a saint after everything she went though. The Martin had 5 daughters become nuns. What an amazing family.
Karen
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this little book, a great grace for those of us struggling to be what we want to be
Teddie
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. Not very much has been written about Leonie Martin. This book gives a broad overview of her life. It gives insight into the whole Martin family. And you learn how the family reacted to their sister becoming a saint. In reading other books about St Therese of Lisieux, Leonie is barely mentioned. But now I understand her place in the family.
Edie
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is very interesting and inspiring.
Natalia
Jul 13, 2015
John S Evans
Mar 30, 2018
Finbarr
rated it did not like it
Mar 25, 2009
Mar 29, 2018
Linda
Mar 31, 2018
“Heaven, where I shall live and die.’ L” 0 likes
“Our little daily crosses are our greatest joy; they prepare our hearts to accept greater crosses when our good Master sends them.” 0 likes