Start by marking “The Master Game (Consciousness Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Master Game (Consciousness Classics)

The Master Game (Consciousness Classics)

s/t: Pathways to Higher Consciousness
This book is a compelling exploration of the human psyche and of the specific techniques through which man can achieve the highest possible levels of consciousness. This exploration, which involves every aspect of human behavior--the instinctive, motor, emotional, and intellectual--is, in the words of the author, "the only game worth p
Published April 1st 2003 by Gateways Books Tapes (first published January 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Master Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Master Game

Ho
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS AN IMPORTANT BOOK TO READ WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG. ACTUALLY, THIS IS AN IMPORTANT BOOK TO READ ANYTIME YOUNG OR OLD. AND IT IS CERTAINLY WORTH A RE-READING. ALTHOUGH WRITTEN IN THE 60s IT IS JUST AS RELEVANT NOW AS THEN.
Johanna
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read for any Seeker or anyone who is interested in the topic. The book covered several areas of discussion on consciousness, and delves into some of the reasons why human beings have struggled to reach levels of higher consciousness in their lives. To me, it is a must read!
Zendali
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I can see why this is a classic and a bestseller.
This book has a lot of good ideas to give some thought to, I’ll come back to this book many times.
Ed
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This book was recommended to me as an introduction to the Gurdjieff work. Splendid. It remains prominent on my bookshelf today and I often refer to it.
Whoof
Flippin great
Erik Graff
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: psychology
One social current central to "the sixties", a current in addition to the political, was what may be called "the human potential" movement. For me it began with a public speaking course taken during summer school at Maine Township High School South. Among other research projects, inspired by articles in Life Magazine, I did one on psychedelic drugs. The owners of Time-Life themselves were, as the CIA put it in those days, "experienced" and the articles were generally very positive, alluring even ...more
Pax Analog
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I re-read the earlier edition of this text, as I was interested in all game tropes, adding it to Finite and Infinite Games, by James P. Carse, and Gamer Theory, by McKenzie Wark. This text is an excellent reminder of the neglected seniority of the rigor of Consciousness, a la Zen, Gurdjieff, and other sources. Contrasted with other life games, it stands out in bold relief. I was particularly struck by the inadequacy of the Art game divorced from the Master game, and the efficacy of the two in ta ...more
Kirtida Gautam
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chakra-5
This is not some stupid new age BS book. It is one of the best books on Creative Psychology. The author knows his subject and presents it in matter-of-fact manner.
Ray Greenberg
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it

Great concept, well executed. Some ideas a little scary but a lot that rang true also....
James Hockings
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dated now, but the aim is still true.
Tony Buckland
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exceptional guide to the young man planning his life. I intend now to refer to the book to determine if the outcomes of my life have gone as planned through this book and other readings by re reading it.
David Hamilton
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: self-improvement types
Recommended to David by: Sunday School
This book comports very well with early, Oriental Christianity.

It was the finest and most advanced of the "games people play" or "transactional analysis" genre of books that came out in the late 60's toward the end of the Vietnam War. It has frequent references to the social pathology of warmongers, while offering devotees of the Way a rewarding, yet difficult path to higher consciousness and being. (Devotees will be largely scorned by modern society.)

The author is an exceptional biochemist.
John Sidwell
Jul 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Of occasional insight and interest but basically a self help book framed as something much more. The deployment of Sheldon's typology is particularly dubious as are the author's endeavours to reduce historical error to immature consciousness.
Sally
Aug 18, 2011
Christopher Dowden
Nov 04, 2013
Chris Singleton
rated it did not like it
Dec 02, 2014