Start by marking “Accursed Women” as Want to Read:

Accursed Women

Five stories, five women, five legends.

Phaedra, a Minoan princess, marries out of duty and to safeguard her precious home. She falls in love with Hippolytos, her husband’s son and asks the Goddess Aphrodite for help. He spurns her affections.

The Trojan War, one of history’s greatest stories ever told. What if the legend as told is wrong? History is told by the victors,
Published December 2nd 2013 by Mythos Publications (first published November 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Accursed Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Accursed Women

Start your review of Accursed Women
Effrosyni Moschoudi
A fresh interpretation of ancient Greek myths with unique astuteness and vivid imagination!

Being a Greek, I’ve been raised with the enchanting myths of my country, including the ones portrayed in this book. They’ve always fascinated me so when I was presented with the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review, I jumped at the chance, yet didn’t expect any novelties in the content. Little did I know though, what the author had in store: Greek heroes and heroines I thought I
Judith Barrow
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
was lucky enough to win Accursed Women in a competition a while ago.

It is an anthology of character-led short stories unravelling and illustrating Greek mythology in a contemporary way.

This was an unusual read for me, partly because, not being totally familiar with the original tales, I first needed to read them in order to see how Luciana Cavallaro contrasts or equates the with contemporary society. And partly because the book is not something i would instantly look for. But I was intrigued…
Linnea Tanner
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The collection of short stories by Luciana Cavallaro is a retelling of Greek myths about cursed women and goddesses, but with a different twist from what we originally read. These myths are told from the perspective of different storytellers: a Minoan princess writing her last account after taking poison; a historian interviewing Helen of Troy; a talk show host interviewing Hera; a parent telling the story of Pandora; and Medusa’s story in retrospect. Based on the storyteller, the plot unfolds ...more
Ellie Midwood
“Accursed Women” is a collection of short stories portraying the well-known Greek mythology in a new, modern light. As one can guess from the title, the protagonists are all females, strong, driven, highly intelligent and causing nothing but the admiration of the reader, especially taking into consideration the sexist society they had to live in.
The feministic line is very powerful in this collection, and the parallel of women’s role in the ancient culture and today’s society can be easily
Marissa
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me and I’m so glad I read it because I discovered Luciana Cavallaro’s writing. She gives vibrancy and personality to the most famous Greek myths. It is written in an engaging tone. Definitely not your typical dry, textbook reading about Helen, Hera or Pandora! We know these famous names but Luciana engages us into their timeless and dramatic tales in a truly creative way. In the end she successfully brings out the compelling and important themes that we love to ...more
Michael Butchin
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ACCURSED WOMEN, self published by Luciana Cavallaro, is a series of vignettes re-telling the tales of five notable women of ancient Greek myth and legend. She writes of Phaedra, Helen, Hera, Pandora, and Medousa. In her short stories, Cavallaro adeptly gives voice to women who are known to us today only by their faults and failings.

The first story is Aphrodite’s Curse, and it concerns Phaedra, daughter of Minos and Pasiphae, sister of Ariadne, and the wife of Theseus. There are a few versions of
Deborah Bowman
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A New Voice in Mythology!

Ms. Cavallaro brings new blood to ancient myths with imaginative, unique story telling! "Accursed Women" speaking for themselves, revealing perceptions never before considered. A fresh take to pique the reader's curiosity, such as a Queen goddess on a modern day television talk show and a famed beauty relating her own experiences to an understanding historian, just to mention two of these unusual, thought-provoking tales. Totally enthralling and captivating! There's
Rosary McQuestion
A Solid 5-Star Story Collection!

Splendidly written, Luciana Cavallaro gives life and personality to some of the most famous and fascinating characters of Greek mythology. However, ACCURSED WOMEN is mythology with a modern twist! The stories don’t read like a dry academic recounting, instead the author weaves mythological legends with modern motif.

The collection of five stories is refreshingly unique and creatively told, each from different perspectives. Ageless legends unfold differently than
Sheri
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Accursed Women by Luciana Cavallaro

A book of five short story about five legendary women. Phaedra, who falls in love with her husbands son. Helen of Sparta who was claimed to have a war started over her. Hera, wife of Zues and the most powerful Goddess. Pandora who was know for opening a forbidden box, and Medousa, the snake haired creature.

Each story is wonderfully told with a twist on what might have been. The woman are perceived as actual women, not as Goddesses. Told from the women's point
Colin
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable retellings from Greek mythology!

This is a book I did not expect to enjoy very much, because it attempts to do something that is very difficult indeed - to retell stories from Greek mythology with the author's own unique interpretations and twists. I have seen this done badly so many times that I did not have great expectations for this book. I am happy to say that I was wrong - these stories are very well done, and are unique interpretations of the related stories. Strongly recommended
Lisa Spratling
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luciana Cavallaro
Mythos Publication

A unique collection of short stories about an array of Greek myths and legends. Every story engages the reader and makes you feel like you're there living the moment. Expertly written and a very enjoyable take on the Greek Gods and their myths. I especially enjoyed the story The Curse of Troy because of it's excellent characterization.
Thanks to Goodreads First Reads and Luciana Cavallaro for this free copy!
Caroline
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read-list
This was a FIRST READS win on GOODREADS!.This is a very entertaining take on some of the Greek Myths told from different perspectives.Very original and obviously (from the title) based on five women .Each of the stories is told in a unique and factual way.I must admit I never studied Greek Mythology and this has educated me as well!The stories are all really well written and i was going to give a favourite but i enjoyed them all. This is highly recommended
Christy
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
This book of short stories is such an original concept! I like how author Luciana Cavallaro retells popular Greek myths in ways that add twists and modern elements. The short stories, which focus on women, were very enjoyable to read!
Cathy
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All the stories are well written and packed with information. They are highly readable and entertaining. I'm sure if school Classics lessons had been this interesting I would have paid more attention. A really enjoyable collection and excellent adaptations written with flair and originality.
Paola Benavides
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is awesome.

Review coming soon!
Lois
Jun 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hoped this book would be an amusing way to remind myself of the Greek Gods and Goddesses and their complicated family tree. And I did relearn about the War between the Titans and Olympian Gods, about part-human monsters, about Gods who eat their children. However it was at the expense of wading through some pretty uninspired writing.
Courtney Klein
I would have preferred the author not use names close to the original Greek. I can appreciate the desire to maintain accuracy, but even with a rough guide at the beginning it was difficult. Then there was the weird sudden twist to modern settings when the other stories to place in Ancient Greece.
Kahawihson
Dec 10, 2019
Aurora
Feb 23, 2017
Susanne Sanderson
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2018

• The Giver of Stars
  • Where The Story Starts
  • Olive, Again
  • The World That We Knew
  • Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1)
  • The Five Wishes of Mr. Murray McBride
  • The Water Dancer
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Letters From the Ledge
  • Dog Logic
  • The Woman I Was Before
  • A Man Called Smith (John Smith, #2)
  • To Leave a Memory
  • The Warden's Son
  • The Dutch House
  • Queen of Love
  • Horror Movies: The Secret Life of Real Occult Demons, Paranormal Ghosts, and Supernatural Monsters (The Secret Life of Horror Movies: Part 1- Cursed Films)
Historical fiction novelist and a secondary teacher, Luciana Cavallaro, likes to meander between contemporary life to the realms of mythology and history. Luciana has always been interested in Mythology and Ancient History but her passion wasn’t realised until seeing the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. From then on, she was inspired to write Historical Fantasy.
She has spent many lessons promoting