Start by marking “Attitude (Orca Limelights)” as Want to Read:
Attitude (Orca Limelights)

Attitude (Orca Limelights)

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Fitting in at her new ballet school turns out to be more painful for Cassie than breaking in a pair of pointe shoes.
Published October 1st 2013 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Attitude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attitude

Jessica
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I won this one from Librarything Early Reviewers, and looking at the cover I couldn't wait to read it. I love reading books that involve dancing or the performing arts, so I was really interested to see how this ballet story would turn out. So you could say I was disappointed to find a juvenile story that lacked any real substance.

When Cassie gets into a summer dance program in Vancouver, she couldn't be more excited to take her dancing even more seriously. But Vancouver is a world away from Au
Julia
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The theme of my book is that even though people are doing the wrong thing and their your friend you should still stick up for what is right. You don't have to go along with them to be popular or for them to still be your friend. Hopefully they will realize what they are doing wrong. Its better to do what is right than to do what someone else wants you to do.
Liralen
Sweet but short on substance. Cassie's fourteen, an aspiring ballerina, spending the summer in Canada for an intensive ballet programme. She'd love to be accepted into the year-round programme, but so would everyone else—and some of the other girls want it badly enough to outweigh ethical considerations.

The last book I read from this publisher was similar in terms of length and style: aimed at YA more than middle grade, but written for struggling readers. I think this one's aimed at slightly you
Anna
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book if you like to dance. It is about a girl named Cassandra who is from Australia. Dance is basically her life, she wants to go to a dance academy in Canada. But her parents aren't quite sure. Finally her parents say yes and she go's. She has to stay with a host family, which the daughter goes to the academy too. But the girls there aren't very nice to Cassandra and the other new girls. Will Cassandra be brave or will she be pushed to the breaking point.
Felicia Moore
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was good and a fast read.
Katie
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fourteen year old Cassie travels from Australia to a summer ballet program in Canada. The plot moves quickly, and glosses over a lot of details. There could have been a lot more description about the day to day life of ballerinas in a prestigious ballet academy. There are nice moments in the book where the dancers bond over how much they love dancing and how important it is to them. Too many books and movies about ballet employ the cliché that every group of aspiring ballerinas includes mean gir ...more
Amanda Gilles
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a dancer growing up since I was four, I was immediately attracted to this book by the cover. It was a short easy read in being a juvenile level book I found in my junior high library in the school I teach-so I will definitely be encouraging my students to check it out. I loved all the dance terms and often found myself doing them in my head while I read. The author-Robin did a great job in using the dance terminology correctly and constantly in the story. I just thought the book took a decent ...more
Eva
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christina
If you've ever wanted to be a ballerina, or just wanted to read about what is required to become a ballerina, then this book is for you. It follows 14 year old Cassandra, an Australian girl who gets the chance to attend an intensive four-week ballet camp in Canada. She has to deal with homesickness, although she is staying with a nice host family whose daughter Edie is her age and also in the same camp; the intense nature of the long hours of practice and many classes in jazz and modern dance as ...more
Rebecca
14 year old Australian ballet dancer Cassie is spending a month-long summer session at a ballet program in Canada, with the possibility of auditioning for a full year, though she’s not sure if she can be away from home that long. She loves the school and the teachers and the classes, but is not so sure about the other dancers. Her homestay ‘sister’ Edie introduces Cassie to all her ballet friends, but Cassie soon realizes how mean they are. When she decides to stand up to them, they get a whole ...more
Sherri
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cassie’s excited to leave her country of Australia to spend four weeks of her summer in Vancouver, Canada attending a prestigious ballet school. Upon arriving, Cassie’s quickly caught up in the pressure of dancing her best in the hopes of earning one of the spots at the year-round ballet school.

Unfortunately, Cassie learns that some of the returning ballet dancers will bully newbies like her in order to get the top dance spots. Cassie has to decide whether she will join ranks with the mean girl
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I used to dance when I was young, and still love reading books about the lives of dancers, and I also think books about bullying are not only interesting, but important esp. for teenagers. This book is geared towards 11-14 year olds and I think this book was perfect for that age group. The story comes in at 137 pages which is a quick read for young teens.

I'm not the targeted age group, and in fact im twice the age group that this is targeted for so to me this book was pretty similistic, but at
Ava Brightly ☕
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 11-14
Many Thanks to Orca Book Publishers and Library Thing Early Reviewers for an advanced reading copy and the opportunity to write an honest review.

I enjoyed this book. I liked that it was short (130+ pages) which would draw in and engage the targeting reading demographic of 11 to 14 yrs old. I always loved ballet growing up (I'm 5ft 10,...sadly, it was not meant to be) but I think it is a setting most young girls could relate to in one way or another.

The story tackled the issue of bullying with a
Brittani Spalty
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Attitude was a very dramatic book about a girl named Cassie who wanted to go to a ballet program in Australia. Cassie's parents were very nervous saying yes to letting her go and be far away from her home in Vancouver. As she is there it has been very hard for her to fit in. She tries to fit in with the "clique". She soon finds out that the girls that have been there for a long time do not want the new girls to get all the attention, they try to sabotage the new girls. Cassie tries to stand up t ...more
Jamie
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I thought this was a good book for preteens and teens (mentions its for 11-14 year olds). It faced a good topic which was bullying between girls, which sadly is very common. I thought it was great Cassandra stood up for herself when they were voting off Cam and said she was not going to do it. It also shows the lengths some girls will go to get what they want. I would recommend this for my friends who have daughters around 11-14, and w ...more
Anne
Cassie has been selected to participate in a summer dance intensive in Vancouver, BC. Although 4 weeks away from her home and family in Australia will be difficult, she is really excited about the new opportunities to learn and perform with this program. The camaraderie and competition between the "old" girls and the "new" girls force Cassie to make some tough decisions.

From what I know of the dance world, this is an accurate glimpse into what happens in these types of programs. The voices are a
emma
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ballet, arc, 2013
the cover is the best part- i really love the cover.
but otherwise, it's a shallow story, very tell-y. not much happens, it's a predictable book. not bad but not amazing.
A good book on bullying. Will make a younger girl realize that even things that seem little and petty can actually end up being really harmful.
Would recommend to a younger girl, 9-12?
Desiree
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-fiction
Cassie is attending a new ballet school far from home and the atmosphere is more competitive than she's ever experienced. A popular clique of girls is intent on winning at any cost. Cassandra must use every ounce of grace and poise to handle the pressure. This is book discusses the different types of bullying, competitiveness, and sportsmanship.
Deborah
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with my ballet loving ten year old daughter. My daughter has had trouble with being bullied, this book opened up some great conversations about her experience. Attitude is a nice quick read about ballet and bullies, I recommend it as a good book to read with your kids as a conversation starter.
Miriah Isel
I thought that the book was okay, it certainly will never be my favorite and that may be mostly for the emotions that it brought in me when Cassie stood up to Melissa. It struck a cord far too hard for to be comfortable. And I also thought the book was too short and I would have loved to know what happen beyond the end of the book.
Rachel
Feb 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
So I love ballet. I was on a comp. team for one year along with 2 or 3 years of ballet technique. But I didn't really like this book. It was too young for me, my little sister would probably like this book more than me.
Missy
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad story but none of the characters besides Cassie really stood out. Still there are not many books on ballet for this age group. I was a little sad about the profanity in it though. One girl calls another girl a b. Not sure its a good fit for their target age group.
Kate Howat
Wonderful short novel about a teenage girl figuring out who she might want to become. It was a quick and light read that touched on many issues teenagers today face.
Cee
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cassie leaves Australia to attend summer school with the Vancouver Ballet. She is bullied and eventually assaulted but takes the high road at every turn. A fast, easy read perfect for fans of ballet.
Hannah
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i got it from a book club, and it was pretty good! It was easy to read and you can learn things from it.. that everyone can't chooose what they want to do in their Life!
Marycate C
I feel like this book was a light read--nothing to dramatic or heavy. You should read it if you enjoy ballet/dance and want a on-the-go read
Ashley Kell
A quick read. wish there was a little more to the ending. but overall I enjoyed it.
Pauline Johnson
Sep 06, 2013
Carol
rated it did not like it
Oct 04, 2013
  • Bois de Boulogne: A Short Story
  • The Zodiac Killer: Terror and Mystery
  • Thicker Than Blood
  • Handbook on Counseling Youth
  • Blood Is Thicker (Chimeria, #2)
  • Eddie and Bingo: A Friendship Tale
  • Gold Mountain Blues
  • Torn Between Two Masters: Encouraging Teens to Live Authentically in a Celebrity-Obsessed World
  • Summer Days, Starry Nights
  • Just Because It Isn't Wrong Doesn't Make It Right: Teaching Kids To Think And Act Ethically
  • Off Pointe
  • Larkspur
  • Joanna's Husband and David's Wife
Robin Stevenson is an award winning Canadian author of 20 books for teens and children. Her newest book is her first work of non-fiction-- PRIDE: CELEBRATING DIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY ( 2016). Robin lives on the west coast of Canada, with her partner and son. When she isn't writing, she edits books and teaches creative writing classes and workshops.
More about Robin Stevenson

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows