Start by marking “Oceans Apart” as Want to Read:
Oceans Apart

Oceans Apart

Airline captain Connor Evans has a great life with his wife and their daughters. Meanwhile, a flight attendant is raising a son by herself when the plane she's working on crashes. His father must be contacted before he can be given over to the state.
Hardcover, Large Print, 532 pages
Published February 1st 2005 by Thorndike Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Oceans Apart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oceans Apart

Start your review of Oceans Apart
Terra
Mar 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-read
I seriously hated this book... but it was a book club pick so I read it.

The story is about an airline pilot who has a wife and two daughters and living a perfect life in Florida. But, his family doesn't know that he had a one-night stand eight years ago in Hawaii on a layover during a hurricane. What he doesn't know is that the chick got knocked up and he has a son. The woman gets killed in a plane crash - she's a stewardess still - and her will states that her son should spend two weeks with
Cathy
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i will not list all of Karen Kingsburys books, but if you pick up one of them, you will read them all, they are a great way to escape and find how people handle common crisis in life.Awsome author.
Georgie
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had this book focused purely on Max's story, and cut down significantly on the shove-it-down-your-throat God/Jesus/Forgiveness stuff, I would have a) been able to finish it, and b) given it more stars.

Basic plot - in 1996, married pilot Connor Evans has a one night fling with air hostess Kiahana while they are both stuck in Hawaii. Kiahana has a son, Max, but doesn't tell Connor as she doesn't want to wreck his marriage. 7 years later, she dies in a plane crash. Her will includes a wish that
Cynthia Marcano
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen Kingsbury is a master storyteller and I cried way too often while reading this story of forgiveness.

While it was a capturing tale. I was disappointed when, as a reader, we learned what happened in Connor's past. I found it wanting, especially on Kiahna's behalf. I felt that Kingsbury had truly developed her character and then blew it apart in a very non-believable way. Yes, we are humans and we all have flaws, but even character's mistakes usually have a reason no matter how crazy or
Kathryn
This was a little predictable at times, but I appreciated the lessons that were woven into it. I especially liked a saying of one of the characters in the story - that love happens when you forgive. I haven’t read a Karen Kingsbury before, but it won’t be the last of hers I read.
Andrea Cox
Such heartbreak! I really felt such pain for all the characters. It’s so hard when good people make poor choices, but it does happen. Encouragement may be found in this book, because it reminds us that devastation and mistakes may be overcome with God’s guidance and help.

There were some awkward sentences using phrases like “made a little laugh,” “did a short cough,” and “did a cry.” The music in the audio distracted from the story.

Content: one expletive, poker (once), marital affairs (including
Randy Tramp
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Airline pilot Connor Evans and his wife, Michele, seem to have a perfect life. Then a plane goes down and a casualty is Kiahna Siefert, who leaves a seven-year-old son, Max.

In Kiahna's will she states that her desire is for Max to spend two weeks with his biological father.

The secret Connor had hidden for many years now explodes in his life.

My wife and I have fostered many children. Max reminded me of Ryan, a child we had in our home for several months. We instantly bonded and understandably
Lynn
I think my problem with this book was the overwhelming perfection of a woman who slept with a married man... she was perfection personified...in love with a man she slept with once....she never had another man after him...she birthed a perfect son..a 40 year old god trapped in a 7 year old childs body.. yeah thats the whole setup.... the paragon of virtue dies and it so happens his perfect mother seeing fit to never tell her "beloved" one night stand of her pregnancy she leaves a letter to him ...more
Emily Brunswick
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book five out of five stars, because it is a really good book. It also is really easy to read, but I recommend it to all girls, teenagers and adults.
I liked this book, because it has a very good theme behind it, and it was really easy to read, like all of Karen Kingsbury's books. This book is about Conner and his wife Michael, and how they have to get through their struggles, while eight year old Conner has to live with out his dead mom. All Conner wants is a dad, and his dog, but
Becky
Sep 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, 2018
I read this book because it was a book club book, but it is very far from the type of book I would normally choose to read. It was very Christian and very cheesy, as you may guess from the cover design. This book tells the story of a pilot, Connor who had a one time affair with a flight attendant, Kiahna, 8 years ago which led to the birth of Max. Connor never new about Max until Kiahna dies in a plane crash and in her will, requests that Max goes to stay with his father for two weeks before he ...more
Book
This book sported the typical storyline of a cheating husband and a “Lord, please help me forgive so I can think I’m a better person and not merely stupid for—keeping my cheating and too overwhelmed with lust to use a condom husband so it’s a good thing the OW didn’t have a STD or I’d have it too—wife.”

She ultimately goes to get and agrees to raise his illegitimate child so I guess her ticket to heaven is non-refundable.

The writing was fine but the child’s religiosity was overdone. Really
Meghan
May 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
This book wasn't about real people, it was about fake people! The author manipulated the characters to her ideal end. It was unnatural and unbelievable and preachy. I gave it a 2 because I like the premise of forgiveness, and the ideal end would have been what I wanted, if only the story had been told more realistically.
Vikki Vaught
Loved the story, and this book is a wonderful redemption story. It kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the book. At one point, I greatly feared it would go a different way, but Ms. Kingsbury gave me a fantastic ending. I listened to the audio version and the narrator is fabulous. Happy reading!
Cherihy808
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book!!! 5 stars from beginning to middle to end! It is a beautiful story about love, marriage, family, forgiveness and believing in God and God’s miracles. I had a very hard time feeling any sorrow for Connor since he cheated on his wife but then when I would read chapters with sweet little Max, it just made me wish for a happy ending for them all. It was a great book and I definitely recommend it for anyone that loves fiction with faith and God in it.
Jasmyn
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ward-book-club
Kind of forced by book club on this one. It was ok, just really heavy handed religious advice... I felt like the characters were relatable and I could empathize with the struggle they were going through. The voices on the audiobook were hard to listen to, though, which might also contribute to the 2 stars... ...more
Amainary
Mar 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really amazing. It makes you think more on the right and wrong decisions and it makes you think in faith and if your being loyal to a certain person. It could be a friend,a boyfriend or even a husband if you're married. In this book Conner Evans, a pilot, makes a poor decision that leads to a major concequence. He was a married man with children when he breaks the greatest promise he ever made. He had an affair with a flight attendant named, Kiahna Siefert. He never saw her again. ...more
rjp316
Jan 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about how your wrong decision (sin) can come back to get you even after you have moved on and even after 9 years has pasted. Kingsbury is a religious author but I found her most interesting and religious main character was the 8 year old boy. None of the adults seemed to be daily Christians but rather “Sunday only when I can fit Christ in” Christians, except Max’s mom. Found that the theme of forgiveness was ok in the book. I liked the son/father forgiveness storyline but the ...more
 Marla
Dianna
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Typical Karen Kingsbury's -- FANTASTIC.

I am an avid Kingsbury fan. This is the story of a man who made a mistake 8 years ago, but what you do in the dark will come out in the light. That is what happened to Conner. Only this mistake stands to break up his marriage and also destroy the lives of his wife and the children involved.

Kingsbury always keeps God in the forefront of all her stories. Her point is that when we feel we are truly alone, that is when if we listen we will hear God speaking to
Maleah
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book about sacrifice and what happens when life is full of its worst drama. It's a lot of real life which so far makes it a good read. I would recommend reading it, but know that I don't think I'll be buying it. For me, the subjects and characters angered me longer than the book had enough paper to cover. And while I must say its was a interesting read it still was upsetting and kinda emotional abusive to the reader.
Rick
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indescribable

This is my 1st ever KK book. As a Liberty U alum, I saw that KK received an honorary doctorate this year, 2017. So, I decided to buy this kindle book for $2. I can barely describe in words what this book did to me. KK so vividly described my own journey with death, remarriage and adoption and so much more. I am still in awe. Thank you.
Jana
I got it from the library and decided to give it a try.
The writing wasn't the best, but overall it was a good story with a good message of forgiveness. I might read more from this author if i'm in the mood for an easy read.
Shawnette
As with all of Karen Kingsbury's books, I loved this one. She tackles tough subjects head on. Having learned about forgiveness the hard way myself, this story was a reminder of the healing power of forgiveness and that the consequences of sin are not limited to yourself.
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
God's plans are not our plans. Forgiveness. Those were the lessons here. This book packs an emotional punch though I think the time frame should have been spread out a bit. In real life humans are stubborn and prideful and it takes us awhile to forgive and know that God has good plans for us.
Becky Thomasson
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. Anything by Karen Kingsbury is great but I really liked this book. If you are struggling with love and acceptance this is the read for you. Be ready for tears of joy.
Ashley Marden
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the sixth time I have read it. Each time I start it, I can't seem to put it down. Love the story of love, healing and forgiveness!
Rebecca "Rebaka" Lewis
Karen does not disappoint with this beautiful story of second chances. Love is tough but choosing it, with God's help, you can get through anything.
Tami
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book. A great reminder to love others and forgive just how God loves and forgives us.
Kathy
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story about forgiveness and family.

• The Scarlet Thread
  • Leota's Garden
  • Bridge to Haven
  • The Atonement Child
  • Covenant Child: A Story of Promises Kept
  • Her Mother's Hope (Marta's Legacy, #1)
  • Unveiled: Tamar (Lineage of Grace #1)
  • The Last Sin Eater
  • Emerald Windows
  • Because of Him: A Christian Romance (New Hope Falls Book 2)
  • Misconception
  • The Purpose of Christmas
  • When Snowflakes Never Cease (Crossroads Collection)
  • An Amish Christmas Gift (Amish Christmas Gift)
  • Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy, #2)
  • Last Light (Restoration, #1)
  • The Unexpected Mother: A Surrogate Mother Caught Between Science, the Law, and Humanity
  • The Christmas Cowboy (Rodeo Romance, #1)
Karen Kingsbury, #1 New York Times bestselling novelist, is America’s favorite inspirational storyteller, with more than twenty-five million copies of her award-winning books in print. Her last dozen titles have topped bestseller lists and many of her novels are under development with Hallmark Films and as major motion pictures. Her Baxter Family books are being developed into a TV series slated ...more
“I tell of hearts and souls and dances...
Butterflies and second chances;
Desperate ones and dreamers bound,
Seeking life from barren ground,
Who suffer on in earthly fate
The bitter pain of agony hate,
Might but they stop and here forgive
Would break the bonds to breathe and live
And find that God in goodness brings
A chance for change, the hope of wings
To rest in Him, and self to die
And so become a butterfly.”
185 likes