Start by marking “Return from Tomorrow: A Psychiatrist Describes His Own Revealing Experience on the Other Side of Death” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  2,045 Ratings  ·  350 Reviews
At the age 20, a soldier George Ritchie died in an Army hospital. Nine minutes later he returned to life. What he experienced would change him forever.
Published January 1st 1978 by Chosen Books

To ask other readers questions about Return from Tomorrow, please sign up.

Peter If you look for it on amazon, it's about 6 dollars for paperback. It's a very good book, so I recommend not worrying about the cost too much.

Mischenko
I'm in the middle with this one...

*This review may contain spoilers*

I picked this up because I really enjoy reading about people who have had near death experiences. I find it so interesting how different these experiences are for people, and it's not just the "light" that they see. George saw much more than that. He had a travel experience and a visit with Christ.

At first I was amazed and couldn't wait to read on, but the feel was off. Was he just having a dream? This experience went on for w
Matt Evans
The author dies of influenza at a military hospital and goes to the other side. I read this years ago, but I still remember the harrowing scene where substance-abusing addict-spirits were crawling all over humans participating in the activities the spirits craved to mortally do -- e.g., drinking, drugging, sexing, etc. -- trying to get some sort of "energy hit" from their unknowing mortal proxies. It's a sobering thought to consider that whatever desires control you in this life will pass on wit ...more
Little Miss Esoteric
The near death experience the author recounts in Return from Tomorrow corresponds with the messages behind The Tibetan Book of the Dead, The Egyptian Book of the Dead, the Mystery religions of ancient Greece and Egypt, and countless other near death experiences documented since earliest times.

In the case of the author of Return from Tomorrow, the psychopomp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopomp ) or Benevolent Deity who accompanied his time on the bardo, assumed the form of Jesus, following t
Karen
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
This 'near death experience' book, while fascinating in it's telling, also has a remarkably poignant message about what is truly important in this life.
I absolutely believe in a post-mortal life, and I absolutely believe that people have amazing, remarkable, experiences that involve God and those on the other side. I don't know exactly how things will go when I go. And I've read a couple of these books that lead me to believe that it isn't exactly the same for everyone.
But having said that, I
Hannah
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this book. I read this about 10 yrs. ago for the first time. I recently happened upon this book in my personal library and decided to read it again, although it is (sadly) beginnng to fall apart. I plan to buy a couple more copies so my family and friends can read it. I am not quite done with it this second time around, but it has definitely made me re-evaluate why I do what I do in areas I never thought about before. For instance, was I focused on Christ and helping others feel His Love ...more
Charlie
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rayni
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in NDE.
Recommended to Rayni by: Kim Kent
It was an easy read. It is not one I would have picked up on my own. It was interesting that his experience corroborates the teaching of the LDS Church & the man is not LDS & probably, in 1943, had never heard of the Church.

I wonder how many copies of The Book of Mormon he was offered in his lifetime. He died of cancer in 2007.

The bar scene was interesting to me. Knowing our habits & addictions follow us to the hereafter, I can just see myself trying to grab a Mt. Dew out of a morta
Jeana
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeana by: Sue
This isn't my typical type of book, but I thought it interesting to hear what this man saw in his eight minutes of death. Strangely, it all seemed to make sense. I believe what he says he saw was the afterlife.

What I particularly liked about the book, though, was the feelings he felt in the presence of Christ and how he could feel that again in people who had Christ in them. Makes me want to try to be a better person--and see other people that way as well.
Tim Malone
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the few books I will mark as absolutely loved it. Because of the unique things it reveals, it has been one of the most influential books in my life. This was the first NDE book I ever read. I am so glad that Dr. Ritchie got professional help from Elizabeth Sherrill to make it into the wonderful book that it is. You will be fascinated by the story. I know I was. I also learned so much from it about the spirit world that has been confirmed over and over by others who have also had N ...more
Consuela
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a few years ago, but picked it up again and reread it. It gives one a lot to think about and I was very touched by this man's experience of dying and coming back to life and how he at first tried to push it out of his life, but eventually embraced it and let it teach him and guide the rest of his life. He also is very humble -- he's not the type to preach to others but just tries to put into practice the lessons he learned and gently share them with those who ask about it. Durin ...more
Stacie
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012

I did enjoy the easy read, the overall story and his thoughts on life at the end (loving others and making our time here an enjoyable one). He had a very profound experience and one that has altered his view of the world.

As for "near-death experience", well, yeah in the most basic form of the phrase. Did his "spirit" leave his body, walk with Christ and then return to his body? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. I'm guessing he told this story many times before he ended up writing it down (or told
Christie Hagerman
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At twenty years old, Army Private Ritchie was most interested in making it through med school and earning enough money to buy a Cadillac. When a bout with pneumonia took his life, he came face-to-face with Jesus and got a personal tour of some fascinating places.

Ritchie recounts what he saw, from the disembodied, tortured souls wandering the earthly plane to a glimpse of the heavenly city and some of its inhabitants. He also describes the feelings of utter peace and love while in the presence of
Abby
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My teacher read this to our class in 6th grade. I had totally forgotten the name of this book, but I thought it was fascinating, and scary. And I can't believe that my teacher was allowed to read such a religious book in a public school! I remember thinking that even as a 6th grader.

It's about a guy who has a near death experience. He dies, experiences a bunch of crazy stuff, then comes back to life.

Here is a part that scared me, particularly - the dead spirits would all stand around and watch p
JR
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book confirms to me everything that I believe about life after death and the all-encompassing love of Jesus Christ. Interestingly, although the author is NOT a member of my faith, it coincides with what my church teaches and with passages in the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ (read Alma 40-42). Truth is truth. Reading this has reopened my heart to trying to be less critical and more loving to all of my fellow souls on our life's journey, but especially to my family. The m ...more
Lisa Winnett
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amyjoy
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went to Peru to pick up my father in Peru after his helicopter crash. Among his personal effects was this book. My Dad likely bought it at the airport. He must have known that his time was up.
I do not know if he read it or not.
It took me many years to want to feel like reading this. It has changed how I think and feel about Heaven. This is a must read if you are curious about what will happen to us after we die. I have read several other books on near death experiences. They are all similar y
Tanya W
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I loved... I read it as a teenager in the 80's. I would be interested to read it again after having more life experience. I felt the story of life beyond this life (discovered by someone who "dies" on the operating table... has otherworldly experience, then is revived and able to share those experiences and insights) fit pretty well with my personal beliefs of life after this life.
Kirstin
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So, this is my first taste of "life after death" literature. I breezed through this book in two hours. I found myself truly curious as to the meaning of his experience and amazed at the man he became because of it. Nothing he described contradicted what I believe, and although I probably won't go around teaching what he saw as fact, I believe the lessons he applied to his life were truly of merit. He learned to love people as God does, and who can argue with that?

Emily
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story. The second near death experience story I have read (read the message last month). Different authors in different settings, different backgrounds and religions -- and very similar experiences. Made me appreciate my faith all the more and examine my relationship with Christ.
Beth Champion
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book. I would highly recommend it and will read it again and again. I've always been fascinated with stories of near-death experiences (partially because my mom had one), but this is the most unusual and moving one I've read.
Kathy
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, religious
Great book. Thoroughly enjoyed it. This is the story of a man who died and came back. Sounds basic, but his is a good story worth reading. Reminds me of how powerful the love of the Savior is. A must read.
Jennifer Wight
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very interesting and thought provoking. It went along with many things that I believe in, wish I had someone to discuss this one with.
It is one to read again and even own.
Jeanne
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After death experience during WWII. I reread it periodically. I love this book.
J.S. Frankel
Jul 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for stories of the hereafter, but after reading this allegedly true-life account, I'm going to call BS. What I got from this account was that his god is more than somewhat exclusive, rigid and unbending, and hypocritical in many ways. It's more an accept-JC-as-your-lord...but if you ain't Christian, you ain't gettin' in kind of deal.

Leaving that aside, scientifically speaking, I'm also quite surprised that Ritchie never experienced brain damage from his death experience. Allegedly,
Sandra Byers
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth Sharing

This book has opened my eyes to the importance of loving others unconditionally. I read Dr Ritchie's testimony many years ago shortly after a friend's untimely death and it brought great comfort. Reading (and rereading) his book today has been a true gift!
Emily
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ritchie, a medical doctor and psychiatric doctor, recounts in detail his near-death experience and its affects on his life. It interested me that he had not been particularly religious before his experience. Wouldn't it be great to have a peek at the afterlife?
Donald P. Goodheart
Good but short

This is a fascinating story and I found myself wanting more. Indeed that is my only minor complaint about the book: it seemed to be over too soon. I am generally a slow reader but finished it in a couple of hours.
Monica
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring book, I can relate to the author (in some ways [i.e. not knowing how to explain certain enlightening moments to people]).
Kelly
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This really impacted me as a teen.
Kelsey Dunford
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read that offered a lot of cool insight and life lessons.
  • The Burning Within
  • My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life
  • Closer to the Light: Learning from the Near-Death Experiences of Children
  • The Message
  • More Glimpses of Heaven: Inspiring True Stories of Hope and Peace at the End of Life's Journey
  • Saved by the Light: The True Story of a Man Who Died Twice and the Profound Revelations He Received
  • I Knew Their Hearts: The Amazing True Story of Jeff Olsen's Journey Beyond the Veil to Learn the Silent Language of the Heart
  • Deliver Us from Me-Ville
  • Embraced by the Light
  • Transforming Prayer
  • Visions of Glory: One Man's Astonishing Account of the Last Days
  • Heaven and Hell
  • Old Testament and Related Studies (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 1)
  • Life After Life: The Investigation of a Phenomenon - Survival of Bodily Death
  • Miracles Are for Real: What Happens When Heaven Touches Earth
  • Angels, Miracles, and Heavenly Encounters: Real-Life Stories of Supernatural Events
  • There Is No Death: The Extraordinary True Experience
  • Echoes of the Soul: Moving Beyond the Light
“What did you do with your life?
It seemed to be a question about values, not facts: What did you accomplish with the precious time you were allotted?
How much have you loved with your life? Have you loved others as I am loving you? Totally? Unconditionally?
I have shown you by the life I lived. I showed you by the death I died. And if you keep your eyes on Me, you will see more....”
7 likes