Start by marking “Kitty (The Smuggler's Wife #1)” as Want to Read:
Kitty (The Smuggler's Wife #1)

Kitty

(The Smuggler's Wife #1)

When 18-year-old Kitty Carlisle's father dies unexpectedly in Norfolk in 1838, Kitty and her mother are left impoverished. After Kitty is discovered in a compromising position with an unscrupulous adventurer, her reputation is left in shreds. In desperation, her mother banishes Kitty to the colonies in disgrace, under the guardianship of her dour missionary uncle and his l ...more
Published December 15th 2006 by HarperCollins - NZ (first published 2006)

Start your review of Kitty (The Smuggler's Wife #1)
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
I must say, I prefer the original cover Kitty (The Smuggler to the one I picked up from my local library. Kitty (Kitty #1) by Deborah Challinor

The cover blurb sensationalises the story - or else maybe Challinor doesn't sensationalise it enough. I didn't quite get the wild, colonial days feeling from this book.

What I did like although this will seem a funny way of praising a book is (& this isn't a spoiler as this information is on the back of the book)but don't you get sick of that tired old trope of the compromised, but innocent young girl? T
Brenda
The humiliation that had caused Kitty Carlisle’s mother to banish eighteen year old Kitty to the colonies of New Zealand with her Uncle George and Aunt Sarah, both missionaries, had deeply saddened Kitty. She grieved the sudden death of her father and knew she would miss her mother deeply, but the journey by sea to the whaling port of Kororareka was one she enjoyed immensely. She loved the feeling of the rocking of the ship, the smell of the sea and the freedom. But her arrival on the island gav ...more
Chloe
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Deborah Challinor is firmly in my favourite authors list. She has certainly contributed to historical fiction now being one of my favourite genres! I loved how she protrayed the Convict Girls series (Behind the Sun) and I love how she brings to life the early European settlement in New Zealand in this book.

Set in New Zealand and Sydney, Australia, this story is rich in history, tension, suspense and the little twists along the way that I have come to know and love in this author's books.

One thin
Heather
Jul 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Probably better described as a teenage read but still loved it.
Enjoyed the development of the characters and they way in, which they interact. It was delightful to suddenly discover that I was reading about the Treaty of Waitangi from the perspective of someone living in the area at the time. There were enough unknowns to keep me reading and wanting to know what else would happen. The blurb on the back can be a bit misleading. I’d definitely recommend this one.
Teao
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
Book club read- really did enjoy this book, considering I judged the book by its cover.
Jody
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a bookclub read. For some reason, I generally don't enjoy books set in New Zealand, but this was OK. I didn't really believe the love story, and I thought it could have used a few more translations for some of the words for readers unfamiliar with Maori, but it was a quick, easy read and better than I expected.
Sarah Harrison
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great adventureous story. Kitty is a wonderful character & I cant wait to continue reading her adventures. Gotta love a good series/ trilogy. ...more
Jenelle
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another exceptional read from my favourite NZ author Deborah Challinor. One of her best books yet.
Kate Loveday
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy reading a Deborah Challinor book, some more than others, and this was one of the best. Kitty is the first book in the series of The Smuggler’s wife. I have read the Convict Girls series, which I loved, and I think Kitty rates up there with that.

Set in the 1840’s in New Zealand and Sydney it brings to life the early European settlement in New Zealand, and looks at the missionary families and also the Maori tribes at the time of the signing of the Waitangi treaty. It is rich in his
Laureen
3.5 stars. This was interesting in that it is the 1st historical novel I have read about New Zealand’s settlers and natives. I must read more on this topic. It is easy to see why Christian evangelical Priests were so “on the nose”. No doubt there were good ones amongst the bad but there was something in their mission that spoke of superiority when they should have been humble and willing to learn from their experiences with new cultures.

Australia was a penal colony and our natives got treated b
S.E. Morgan
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I'd call this romantic fiction with a historical setting. The background was good but really it was a cliche about a girl falling in love with a strong silent type. It was really written from a modern perspective, I just didn't believe her attitudes as a supposedly aspiring middle-class early victorian miss would change as quickly as they did.
It was fine as a holiday read on to pass an airplane flight, and did give me some insights into missionary fervour in the earl 1840s.
Janine
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really interesting read about missionaries in New Zealand. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Lucy Gray
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
easy reading and interesting time in NZ history.
Jelena
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best reads ever!! And so good to find out there are writers like D. Challinor in New Zealand. The historical aspect, the writing and characters were all amazing.
Sherilyn
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this up to the rather rushed ending. The way NZ history was worked into the story was well done.
Curtis
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Well written and a good window to an interesting time period. The book was great I am just not into romance fiction that much...
Kate Barker
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hard to tell if this is historical fiction disguised as trashy romance or trashy romance disguised as historical fiction. A good holiday read, the NZ setting is original.
Jo :: The Country Book Nerd
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I couldn’t wait to start the next one.
Darlene Gartside
After almost a year I finally finished this book.

There was a few times it got a bit long winded, but it got going right at the moment of history that New Zealander's have been taught about.
Toni Greenwood
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good book by Deborah.
Megan
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good light read

Enjoyed this healthy alternative to NZ history told in NZ schools. A story told through the eyes of decent, honest people- on both sides
Dannie
The narrator was awful and this was a real shame as Deborah Challinor is one of my favourite authors.
DNF
Joanne
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Feeling generous because it's largely set in NZ, and a little in Australia. Romance fiction with a historical setting. Was a little predictable.
Grecia Ramirez
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read a little like a romance book rather than a historical fiction book in some parts, but was still a very enjoyable read.
Angela
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe it! I've found this story still continuing with other characters. I love it!!
Julia
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A light, enjoyable read set in NZ around the time of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi.
Joy
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book starts out with Kitty a young girl, who is forced to leave England and live in New Zealand with her aunt and missionary uncle.

The sentences and chapters end abruptly and the book did not have a nice flow. There were other elements I did not like but if you decide to read this book, I’d spoil the rotten plot. Needless to say, I was disappointed in this novel.
Kate M
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
A light easy read. Nothing too much too it really.
Justine
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sad book. Loosely based on history of Missionaries & the colinisation of New Zealand. Raw, emotive, with a little twist of intrigue of "what could possibly go wrong next ??? and yes more could go wrong . . If you want a truthful look at early European settlers of New Zealand & the intergration challenges for all races here at the time in the upper north at least, this is a very good book to start with. ...more
Lizzy
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Fast paced read about a young girl who comes to NZ from the UK with her missionary uncle and aunty. Events lead to the young girl, Kitty having to flee NZ on the ship of Captain Rian Farrell. This takes her to Australia. Kitty falls in love With Rian and the story ends on a happy note.

I enjoyed the NZ connection and found the characters robust. I enjoy all of Deborah Challinor's books and this did not disappoint, however it has not been one of my personal favourite ones.

• Khaki Town
  • Secrets Of Whitewater Creek
  • The River is Down
  • The Widow of Ballarat
  • The Woman in the Green Dress
  • The Diamond Hunter
  • Deviations From Paradise (The Rourke Saga #3)
  • The Note Through the Wire
  • Liar
  • The Postmistress
  • Sapphire Skies
  • The Pearl Thief
  • Charlie's Will (Barrington Book 1)
  • Girt (The Unauthorised History of Australia #1)
  • The Escape Artist
  • Rainy Days for the Harpers Girls (Harpers Emporium #3)
  • The Lavender Keeper (Luc & Lisette #1)
  • The Secret Heart (Unmarriageable, #6)
Born in Huntly, she holds a PhD in New Zealand history from the University of Waikato. Challinor has worked as a fulltime writer and historian since 2000.

Primarily known for her historical novels, Deborah Challinor’s first published books were non-fiction history books, including the best-selling Grey Ghosts: New Zealand Vietnam Vets Talk About Their War (Hodder Moa Beckett, 1998).

Her first histor

The Smuggler's Wife (4 books)
  • Amber (The Smuggler's Wife #2)
  • Band of Gold (The Smuggler's Wife #3)
  • The Cloud Leopard's Daughter (The Smuggler's Wife #4)