Start by marking “Jack of Eagles” as Want to Read:
Jack of Eagles

Jack of Eagles

Danny Caiden is on the run - from the FBI, the SEC, the Justice Department and the Mob. Only recently, Danny was an average New York copywriter, until he suddenly found he had ESP. His knowledge of the future is astonishing, and the rest of Danny's powers are just beginning. But someone has plans for Danny: a mysterious group of sinister men bent on world domination. They' ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published March 1975 by Arrow (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Jack of Eagles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack of Eagles

Roddy Williams
‘Danny Caiden has always thought of himself as a normal guy: an ordinary young American with no special talents leading an ordinary, uneventful life.
Normal, that is, until he suddenly realises he can see into the future.
Before he knows it, Danny has developed a dozen more alarming powers, lost his job, run foul of the FBI – and found himself at the centre of a shattering psychic struggle for the future of humanity…’

Blurb from the 1975 Arrow paperback edition.

Although a minor Blish novel this, fo
Johnny
Mar 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Imagine a Michael Moorcock-esque multiverse crammed into a short novel. That's both the beauty and frustration of Jack of Eagles. Blish plays with parapsychology, conspiracy theories, and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle (in combination with Planck's constant) in order to weave a tale of wealth, ambition, and the paranormal gone wrong.

Blish is, possibly, most famous for his very brilliant A Case of Conscience and his Star Trek novels/stories. However, this relatively compact book packs a trem
Cheryl
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated. Sexist. Unbelievable heroic main character. Requires a thorough suspension of disbelief about psi-powers/ ESP. Sometimes crammed too densely with info-dump ideas and explanations of the real science that Blish is extrapolating into a story. Underdeveloped characters and plot tangents.

But still worth my time to read.

I found it exciting, and interesting, with some absolute gems in some of the little sketches. If "Danny had long ago heard enough. He bounded up the stairs, leaving the landlor
Ilaria
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urania
La trama e' interessante, anche se ci solo dei lunghi pezzi di spiegazioni scentifiche degni di un libro di fisica, che sono difficili da seguire ( pseudo scentifiche, perche' per meta' si nomina teorie accreditate e per meta' leggi della fisica del tutto inventate) non mi lamento della scienza inventata, che mi aspetto da un Urania (e che mi piace) ma i dettagli della leggi fisiche che permettono al protagonista di sposare oggetti o persone (con tanto di formule ) le trovo eccessive e soprattut ...more
Bill
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
I read this one way back in my teens (MYATICTC), and I still go back and re-read it every decade or so, just to remind myself how good hard SF can be. The original eyes-wide-open novel of strange talents, and still one of the best.
Kenneth
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Is this the book that was renamed? (Esper)I think it was well worth reading. I don't remember when I read it. I know it was a long time ago, but it left a lasting impression on me.Enough so I still remember the story line. It made me a James Blish fan.
Adam
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of the seminal work of psionic scifi. Great read!
Alden
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Ah, pulp science fiction. Ideas over characters. Handwaving. Pseudoscience that’s preposterous on reflection — or, in this case, on first reading. Danny Caiden has ESP. Suspend your disbelief as he figures out how it works and uncovers — and defeats — the obligatory evil secret society bent on world domination. And the only female character with more than two lines is the protagonist’s love interest. I don’t care, the book was free, and short, and you can see James Blish in his early days.
Andrew
Quick read, but not all that engaging - science parts were a bit of a slog
Joshua Buhs
Solid.

This is the first book-form novel published by James Blish, one of the well-known names of science fiction’s golden age, and it stands up more than sixty years later as a good read.

The story focuses on Danny Caiden, who thought he was normal; a bachelor, ex-soldier, drone for agricultural publications (a job very similar to Blish’s own early career), except that he keeps hearing voices talking about him. And he has this weird ability to find things that are lost. His weird talents get him
John Loyd
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Jack of Eagles (1952) 192 pages by James Blish.

This is me, but I think Blish tried to incorporate too many ideas into too few pages. I went online and saw theoriginal cover had a man and a transparent staircase with several flights of steps. That's the part of the story that gets a little abstract, and I think unnecessary plot element. The story starts with Danny Caiden, a junior reporter for a food sector newspaper, having a couple visions of the future, one that he unwittingly uses as an eleme
Henry Hallan
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Danny Caiden is a newspaper writer who discovers one day that he has psychic powers. These powers emerge painfully and chaotically, getting him in trouble with local mobsters, earning him an accusation of insider trading, and attracting the attention of a particularly attractive girl.

At first he is a victim of the conflict that his newly-emerged powers create, but as the story progresses he learns to understand and then control them, by use of engineering to enhance these powers. As his understa
Alien
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: quit-reading

Average guy finds that he has visions of the future. Has he gone mad? He gets fired from his job, makes a stock market speculation based on a vision and wins a lot of money. The FBI gets suspicious.
He develops more and more paranormal abilities. He finds out that there are 2 organizations of others like him that are fighting each other. And so on...
The plot gets more and more messy and unbelievable. I wanted to read this book to the end, but after about 3/4 I just had to quit.
The beginning wa
Mark Isaak
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This book shows a bit of what a world (in 1952, when it was written) would be like if some people really did have psionic powers, although the plot is fantastic even beyond that premise. Some of the background in it might interest those whose interests include psionics (and its debunking). Plus, it is mostly entertaining.
Andre Chiasson
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Almost 50 years ago, when I was 10, I was introduced to "real" science fiction (as opposed to Tom Swift). This was my first. It was called Esper at that time. I've read it a few times since then and am now reading it on my Kobo. Hard to be objective but it is interesting. I love it!
Jakk Makk
Jan 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Has potential, wish I'd read it as a younger person. DNF twice.
Jules Jones
"Oh, look, SFGateway is republishing books I haven't read in years!" It has some issues seen through 21st century eyes, but is still a worthwhile exploration of psi powers.
Charles
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: x-sf
Read this a parsec back. The title stuck with me. Eagles was a fifth suit of cards used to play bridge. The eagle suit was green in color.
John

• Search the Sky
  • Roderick
  • Galactic Effectuator
  • Two Hawks From Earth
  • Los hijos de nuestros hijos
  • Virgin Planet
  • Starshine
  • The Warriors of Dawn (Ler, #1)
  • The Mind Cage
  • Major Operation (Sector General, #3)
  • Yurth Burden
  • Tower of Glass
  • Worlds of the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • Ballroom of the Skies
  • The Maracot Deep
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942