Start by marking “Planetary, Volume 1: All Over the World and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Planetary, Volume 1: All Over the World and Other Stories

Planetary, Volume 1: All Over the World and Other Stories

(Planetary #1)

Elijah Snow, a hundred year old man.
Jakita Wagner, an extremely powerful and bored woman.
The Drummer, a man with the ability to communicate with machines.
Infatuated with tracking down evidence of super-human activity, these mystery archaeologists of the late 20th Century uncover unknown paranormal secrets and histories, such as a World War II supercomputer that can access
Published February 1st 2001 by Wildstorm (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Planetary, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planetary, Volume 1

Start your review of Planetary, Volume 1: All Over the World and Other Stories
Jeff
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Three and a half stars rounded up

Planetary now employs the ultimate power trio:

Jakita Wagner: field leader and all purpose, kick-ass, invulnerability. Yowsah!

Elijah Snow: The guy, who’s, um, dressed in white. Manipulates cold and has a wicked sense of humor. "Pass the coffee that tastes like a dog took a leak in it." Light. One sugar.

The Drummer: Annoying info-tech guy. “Take those drum sticks and shove them…”

This one has all the hallmarks of a decent Warren Ellis penned book: Interesting, well-
Terry
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the Planetary series by Ellis and Cassaday may be one of the most ambitious, and certainly most enjoyable, comics (excuse me, I mean graphic novels!) that I have ever read. It is yet another post-Watchmen, post-Dark Knight meta-textual exploration of the genre, but manages to be one that doesn’t lose its sense of humour or sense of wonder as it dissects some of the weird, wonderful, and even silly elements of the genre…no small feat! Also, Ellis does not restrict himself solely to an exa ...more
Dennis
That's been a whole lotta awesome. But hell if I know what's going on.

It's almost like one of those TV shows where the clock is set to zero with every new episode and there's very little continuity.
Well, it‘s almost like that. Because there were just enough recurring themes to at least make me wonder if I had missed something.

Maybe it’s just that whole multiverse thing that made it sometimes a little confusing.

description

Or it’s me being stupid. Though that’s unlikely. Amiright?!

Am I right? *silence ensues
Sam Quixote
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Planetary has always seemed to me to be a less than substantial series of Warren Ellis’. They’re a group that fit in between The Authority and Stormwatch and act as a sort of Vector-13 but with superpowers. Also, Ellis really lets go of any subtlety of concept here, he just goes for it.

So there are stories of a group in the 40s who built a machine that created the world or can create the world and brought about the end of the world but the man who learned to not age survived and guarded the por
Ill D
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who believe the Hype
Stop me if you've heard this one. An albino, a female version of The Flash, and a tech expert named The Drummer all walk into a bar... If you haven't heard this one it's probably because you haven't because its not funny. And this non-joke is just as mirthless as the aforementioned protagonists of Warren Ellis' Planetary.

For a series that has received innumerous accolades its a little disheartening (to say the least) that such boring and uninspiring characters drive it. And the lackluster doesn'
Alejandro
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-book
This great book by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday, you know that you are about to read something really good when you see that the introduction is by Alan Moore himself. This first tpb introduces you to the world of Planetary, a secret organization with the objective to discover the secret history of the world. Three exceptional members are always selected to form a field team and investigate what no one else even know that exist. Also, if you read The Authority, you will enjoy even more this wo ...more
Wreade1872
Firstly i enjoy reading these, i got them as a gift but can't say i'd have payed for them. My enjoyment however is for the losest of low-brow reasons because make no mistake this is AWFUL!

Its really badly plotted and written. So many confusing elements. Characters not reacting to information leaving you unsure of whats important and whats not. The protagonists are mostly just tourists, they turn up, look about, then the issue ends usually without any resolution like the last few pages went missi
Mike
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the legendary works of Warren Ellis. Many creators cite Planetary as one of the most influential Ellis series, and it sure has a ridiculous number of Goodreads ratings.

Does that make it a mind-blowing book? On second reading, I really don't feel that moved by it. Maybe it's the later volumes that add the gravitas that so many people report. Right now, a day after finishing this first collection, I'm feeling a little "Alan Moore" vibe from it, which is not a good thing.

What's great
David Dalton
Very different. Like X-Files and Indiana Jones rolled into one. I like the stories, not too sure about the characters. Got this from my digital library, and they have other volumes of Planetary. I will check out one more to see if really like it enough to finish them all. I love the Secret History aspect of this series.
Jace
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
It's hard to rate this book, because I can see where it's going and it looks pretty interesting. Unfortunately, these first 6 issues didn't really deliver. From what I've heard about this series, it's a pretty cool overarching journey. Although I was not completely hooked by this volume, I'd certainly consider checking out the rest.

The series strikes me as a sort of Justice League meets X-Files. From what I can tell so far, this team of people with super powers travel around investigating myster
Richard Guion
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I bought every issue of Planetary from 1999 to the last one in 2010 and decided to re-read the entire saga. The first 6 issues are a bit light and the stories seem to be done-in-one little short stories. We get introduced to the team of extraordinary archaeologists: Elijah Snow, Jakita Wagner, and the Drummer. I think Elijah Snow is one of the best characters that Warren Ellis has ever created. He's cunning and takes no guff but Snow has a soft side. Pop culture junkies (like me) will love the r ...more
Juho Pohjalainen
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
So far, I can't say I'm particularly impressed. The art is all right, but the characters are fairly shallow, and story is way out there and by the end of volume one leaves far too many questions than answers, too many loose threads and not nearly enough climaxes. I don't really know how much I'm looking forward to learning the answers for them, either.

But it's been highly acclaimed, so there probably will be something great to look forward to in the end. I'll keep reading, see where it takes me.
Tom Coates
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Planetary is an incredible exercise in uncovering and exploring—and occasionally exploding—the big narratives of comic and popular culture. Every issue / chapter is self-contained, taking a trope from the schlock culture of the past and interrogating it a bit. You could view it like a few volumes of short stories each one taking a code concept that we're familiar with and doing something wild and new and fascinating with it and you'd not be far wrong.

Partly it's about adding human emotion and re
Patrick
I've been wanting to read these graphic novels for a VERY long time. I couldn't find them anywhere and I finally had to put in for an interlibrary loan for the compendium because they didn't have the single volumes. After reading Invincible, I missed the non DC/Marvel superhero/sci-fi story. When I found Planetary I was very excited! After reading the first volume, it's everything I've been missing!

Planetary Volume 1 has a great range of characters. Some are still mysterious, but the others see
Sean Leas
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Planetary consistently keeps showing up on my recommended feed, so on that alone I decided to pick this up. If Goodreads is insistent on the fact that I have to read this book, that's a good thing right? You couldn't be further from the truth. I was confused with this graphic novel, the storyline felt like it could have something special but ultimately didn't deliver. I really like Elijah Snow, everyone else I could do without. I really didn't develop a connection with them and in the end, I did ...more
Melissa McShane
I just had a hard time being drawn into this. Some of that is its episodic nature, the first stories being more or less unrelated--that is, until they start being related, which did draw me in. Some of it is that I found the three main characters distant, hard to relate to. They're mysterious and have mysterious back stories, but...I don't know. It just didn't work for me. I was sufficiently interested by the end of the volume to think I might try the next one, though.
Roberto
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A must read for sure. And there is nothing more that can be said about Planetary that Alan Moore himself has already said in the Introduction of this first volume.
Keith
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Earlier this year I went and reread some old Warren Ellis comics (NextWave) as a sort of antidote to some other stuff (X-Force), and even though all that I got out of it was realizing those old Ellis comics weren't as good as I remembered, here I am again. I just read the newest volume of Grant Morrison's The Invisibles, and it was awful, and it made me think about other comics with mysterious supergroups exploring the uncharted unknown.

So of course Planetary, a book I never really liked before,
BellaGBear
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This stories becomes more interesting with every volume. in the beginning the volumes are one-shot stories and later the overall story becomes clear.
Shaun
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe it took me this long to get to this book. I've known of it for quite some time, and now that I finally picked it up, I can't imagine life without it. This may be one of the coolest series I've read in some time. Okay, maybe since I read Transmetropolitan. Kudos, Warren Ellis, you're taking over my life (though I've heard he has some not-so-grand runs in comics, so far he's aces with me).

What a concept. Archaeologists of a lost, hidden, secretive world(s). First of all, we know ar
Eli
May 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
I feel like I completely missed something here? It’s got very high ratings, so I expected to really dig it... but I didn’t. I felt like there was a whole volume I missed before this one even though this is the beginning of the series. I just felt thrown in and confused, and I didn’t like any of the characters or even remotely care about them.

One thing I can say for sure is I didn’t like the art.

Might revisit later just to see if I wasn’t paying enough attention, but I don’t know if I’ll even do
Justinbwood
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Warren Ellis has the talent like Alan Moore of creating vivid, interesting characters in a medium supersaturated with tired superhero ideas. What's fascinating is that yes, you can consider their characters parodies or critiques, but they are so believable in their own right. Compared to the millions of X-men whose characters get more generic or forced and powers more esoteric, Ellis comes along and pops out characters that just nail it. I believe in these characters.

Jakita is stunning and appro
Rob
Still on this comics kick. This is a Warren Ellis joint, which puts it in the company of Transmetropolitan and The Authority.

Let me put this upfront: I liked this one a lot. I'm going to continue the series.

I think Planetary is a bit tricky to define, at least so far. Is it a superhero series? It's hard to say, although I've heard it described as a modern update of one. It isn't your customary superheroes-in-spandex-fight-crime deal. It isn't a black-and-white, 1950s good-versus-evil series eith
Zedsdead
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ellis and short story fans.
Recommended to Zedsdead by: Tim
Shelves: graphic-novels
A series of single-issue strange tales, told through the eyes of three post-human investigators. Planetary refers to itself as "mystery archaeologists", seeking to unearth the secret history of the 20th century.

The players: Jacinta Wagner, the leader and basically Superwoman; Elijah Snow, a recently recruited 100 year old hermit with thermal abilities; and The Drummer, a free spirit who communicates directly with technology (perhaps the tapping of his drumsticks represents zeroes and ones?)

The
Amy
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disparate stories loosely connected by a team investigating unusual phenomena across the world (including multiverse bleed) but no narrative progression or story-to-story linkage (or not enough) to really create a whole. There's just not enough of anything: not enough character development, not enough set-up if this were all to be premise, not enough pay-off if we're getting dropped into an ongoing serial adventure, not enough cohesion in what weird stories it wants to tell. Not even enough cons ...more
Kirsten
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a ton of fun. I felt like I "got" the concept of Planetary much better than I did with the last collection I read, probably because this is the first collection. :) The interplay between Elijah Snow and Jakita Warner is brilliant -- no one does snarky dialog like Warren Ellis. My current favorite line: "Why do I even have to say this? Why do I have to say 'get off the unique and probably alien living plinth that zaps the unwary'? What is wrong with my life that I have to say these thing ...more
Vinton Bayne
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book kind of confused me. I felt lost and left outside of a story. I will probably enjoy it more when I finish the series. It felt like a series of unfinished vignettes, connected by lines it out of the story.
Like reading every other chapter in a novel.

It has some awesome concepts and great potential. I'm willing to bet I will love it when it is over, but as for now, I'm just hoping it starts to connect and make sense.
Travis Duke
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secret Sci-fi team Planetary is on the hunt for the mysteries of the past century. It reminds me of X-files meets Jupiter's circle and nowhere men. Past secrets hidden that come to light slowly with future tech and super smart people that may super power is right up my alley. Issue 2-3 where a little slow but the majority of the book is great. The art is also well done for the late 90's. Ill keep reading
Timothy Boyd
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
A nice different type of superhero team. Working behind the scenes they solve the odd problems of the world most people never see or know about. Very good art and story. Recommended
Quentin Wallace
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a cool series. I remember reading some of this when it first came out but I never got around to finishing the series, which I plan to do now.

Planetary is a group of superpowered researchers. There are four members, but we only are introduced to three, all of which we know every little about, including just what exactly all of their powers are. Along the way the team meets a group of pulp heroes based on Doc Savage, The Shadow, Airboy and others who end up battling a group based on the Justi

• Justice, Volume 2
  • Fatale, Vol. 5: Curse the Demon
  • JLA, Vol. 1: New World Order
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 1: In the Line of Duty
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 1: First Shot, Last Call
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN, as well as the digital short-story single DEAD PIG COLLECTOR. His newest book is the novella NORMAL, from FSG Originals, listed as one of Amazon’s Best 100 Books Of 2016.

T

Planetary (5 books)
  • Planetary, Volume 2: The Fourth Man
  • Planetary, Volume 3: Leaving the 20th Century
  • Planetary, Volume 4: Spacetime Archaeology
  • Planetary: Crossing Worlds

News & Interviews

“Why do I even have to say this? Why do I have to say "Get off the unique and probably alien living plinth that zaps the unwary?" What is wrong with my life that I have to say these things out loud...?” 6 likes