Start by marking “One Forever: The Transforming Power of Being in Christ” as Want to Read:
One Forever: The Transforming Power of Being in Christ

One Forever: The Transforming Power of Being in Christ

When the New Testament describes what it means to be a Christian, it uses a phrase that is everywhere in Paul's letters but almost nowhere in our churches. Overwhelmingly, when the Bible wants to describe being a Christian, it says that we are in Christ.

But what does it mean to be in Christ? And how does this important biblical idea help us understand what God has done for
Kindle Edition, Guidebooks for Life, 63 pages
Published March 1st 2013 by Matthias Media

To ask other readers questions about One Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Forever

Matthew Weston
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
How Rory Shiner has managed to pack so much rich, joyous theology into a short and very readable book, I'm not quite sure - but he has. The book looks at what it means for Christians to be united to Christ, in areas such as justification, church, fighting sin, and the new creation, but it does so in a clearly understandable and practical way. Another reviewer wrote "Finally, a book on union with Christ that ordinary Christians can read" - I agree! It was a pleasure to read - thoroughly recommend ...more
Victor
Finally, a book on union with Christ that ordinary Christians can read!
Brodie
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Younger Christians
This book is a faithful and direct exploration of what the biblical description of Christians being in Christ means. Shiner makes great use of illustrations to keep it clear and very engaging; he has quite an Aussie humour. And I love the blurb at the back of the book: "This short book by Rory Shiner sparkles with clarity, wit and biblical wisdom on this vital and much-neglected topic."

It's only short, and it's very accessible. Which is great, since it takes readers through some of the basics of
Chris Little
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How do I feel about this book? Answer: I wish I had a whole pile of copies to give to my Christian friends (as well as to non-Christians interested in this whole Jesus-business).

This is a short work, written after the material initially appeared as conference talks. So my rating is for that kind of book - a relatively quick but oh so important read. (It would be unfair to rate it for what it never tries to be.) One Forever is a book for any reader.

One thing I have found among all Christians, mys
Penny Morrison
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How does Rory Shiner take an abstract concept and make it so simple to understand?

The book is Biblical and practical, and even better - it's short. Rory's writing is so easy to read that I was even reading a chapter before bed. He uses unique illustrations which explain the point clearly and stick in my mind. He even manages to be funny while talking about what it means to be united with Christ.

I loved this book. I hope everyone who reads Ephesians will read this on the side.

And I hope Rory wri
Tim
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In our union with Christ by faith, we encounter someone who is unlike us, but who, in being unlike us, corresponds to us in a way that someone who was exactly the same as us could never correspond. We discover that Christ is not us, nor is he a 'second us', but rather he is the completion of us. When we meet Christ by faith, it is not just a union. It is a reunion." (pg.21)

"The one whose image we bear came to bear our image." (pg.26)
Gavin Felgate
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short book about how Christians a "united with Jesus". I'd read one piece by Rory Shiner before, and it was a short essay in a longer book with several contributors.

I liked how this set out various aspects of what it means to be a Christian, including why we should see going to church as a privelage rather than a chore, and how we are all united as one body. The book also looked at the idea of the New Creation from angles that I'd never thought of before.
Lindy
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on his talks at NTE, this book clearly explains what being 'in Christ' really means, how it affects your life and the joy and freedom that can be found in it. It takes a difficult and not often talked about concept, and applies it to the now, with forever in mind. It's short and mostly easy to read, though packing so much in to so few pages can make it feel kind of heavy at times.
Ruth
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibelkommentare
Ein sehr gutes Buch, Theologie für die Praxis des Alltags! Ich hab mich bei jeder Seite gefreut - über die Wahrheiten der Schrift, ich die sehr verständlich rübergebracht werden, aber auch über die sprachliche Schönheit! Eine gute Leseerfahrung für Herz und Verstand!
Andy
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Would recommend it to anyone.
Hin-Tai
I liked it. Lots of good nuggets and an easy read.
Phillip