Start by marking “The Art of Seduction” as Want to Read:
The Art of Seduction

The Art of Seduction

The season's most talked-about all-purpose personal strategy guide and philosophical compendium," said Newsweek of Robert Greene's bold, elegant, and ingenious manual of modern manipulation, The 48 Laws of Power. Now Greene has once again mined history and literature to distill the essence of seduction, the most highly refined mode of influence, the ultimate power trip.

The
Published 2001 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Seduction, please sign up.
Sean Great question Umberto. I personally have used many of the techniques in this book and had plenty of success. It is important to point out, however,…moreGreat question Umberto. I personally have used many of the techniques in this book and had plenty of success. It is important to point out, however, that if you are aiming for sexual seduction that you must be good looking (healthy, in good shape, groomed well, dressed nicely, smell divine without being overpowering). I used to read this book every night before I went out salsa dancing and I would practice trying to "cast a seductive spell" over women, and I got quite good at it. Also at work I managed to get all the attractive women fawning about me because I was subtle, charming, polite, suggestive, slightly flirtatious, and a little coquettish.

As a man what I learned from this book is how to allow myself to be slightly feminine in order to mirror female psychology and thereby entrance them like a bird looking at its own reflection. I don't have the heart to use people though, and then dump them like a cold-blooded brute; that would be too sinister.

Another thing I used with great success from this book is the art of being indirect - not forceful. If you want to seduce someone who is seemingly impossible to seduce it is paramount that you not give them any reasons to reject you or to think that you are purposefully trying to seduce them: the trick is to seem aloof to the seductive things you do around them (things that are bound to make them think sexy thoughts about you: such as the way you do your hair, your cologne or perfume, your subtly sexy clothes, the suggestive way you move, your vibrant health and fit body, the sound of your seductive voice and the subtle... oh so subtle way you speak to make their ears perk up - without giving away too many signals about your intentions.) I could go on and on. It takes years to learn, but I suggest you start today and practice, practice, practice.

So to answer your question: yes I have tested the advice and suggestions given by this book literally "on the field", on people, on real life situations. And yes, it does work. Remember that if you are using it for erotic seduction that you MUST be healthy and fit; you must dress nice but not be snobby about your looks; you must groom well; and above all you must not have any major anti-seductive qualities such as: very low self-esteem, extreme vanity, rudeness, or greed.

Lastly, keep in mind that the more success you have as a seducer, the more envy you will stir up among the members of your own sex. When I am at my best is when I have to watch my back the most from the extremely envious looks and snares by other guys who are jealous. I've almost come to blows on more than one occasion by some jealous jerk who has no other reason to mug me than he is envious of how much the other women like me. This will happen to women as well. So be forewarned and learn how to disguise your seductions to some extent from the envious eyes of rivals - otherwise they will dog you relentlessly. Then again that is what Robert Greene's other books will help you with - to defend yourself against them. Both "The 48 Laws of Power" and "The 33 Strategies of War" will also teach you a great deal about the Timeless Art of Seduction - IF you view them through the lens of seduction while reading. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mouneer Soulaiman https://www.facebook.com/almouneer تواصل مع مترجم الكتاب

Melissa
May 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
I can't find the perfect word to convey how awful this book is. It espouses a completely manipulative style of dealing with other people in which they are all prey to be hunted. It's noxious. I also believe that I know one of the master seducers who is referred to in the book under a pseudonym, which was terrifying in its own right. It's not about how to do what I would call "seduction." It's about how to control, direct, engineer, exploit, manipulate, machinate, maneuver, steer and hunt others. ...more
Tim Pendry

Almost hypnotically repetitively at times, this might be the book that Machiavelli could have written about love if he had been a jaded modern.

Unfortunately for those determined to be 'nice' in the world, there is scarcely a line in this book that does not ring true.

For better or worse (depending on your stance), Greene is persuasive that seduction is a game between equal partners where the 'victim' is willing enough for what they will get out of the process.

It is about the flow of power betw
Stefania
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was going to be another annoying "to get him to do this flick your hair." Love this book, it is filled with little inside novela type of things, historical facts, and it has just some of the most interesting people in history. I love history so this book really did it for me. I could read it over and over not even for the seductive element but just because it is so good (in my opinion). The little side note quote and stories are a must read, don't skip over them, too wonderful you'd ...more
Laryssa Wirstiuk
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Since I started reading The Art of Seduction, I've recommended it to just about EVERYONE because everyone seriously needs to read this book. It gave me so much insight into people's desires and the reasons why we're attracted to others. I feel like my mind has completely opened up. As a writer and reader, I feel like I have better insight into character relationships, and I want to explore these new things I've learned in my fiction. Now I watch almost every movie that involves a love interest t ...more
Nicholas
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Forewarning:

Due to it's misleading nature and implications one could be lead to believe that the sections in this book may be used to seduce another.

In modern society the need to seduce another would have unhealthy implications and in my opinion comes from a waek/try-hard mindset. It's like saying 'who I am isn't good enough so I'll put on a fallacious act and be that cool/attractive person.'

Sure it might seem like a good idea but ultimately doing such a thing would cause you to lose connection
Thekeyofdana
This is not your Karrine Steffans vixen manual..This is your comprehensive manual of how to seduce not only men but an entire empire. With this manual I have received a proposal, gained a stalker and experienced a riven heart. It was great! lol
Zara
Feb 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody ever!
Really? I mean some good work went into this in terms of historical research I guess...But it so was not for me. It just seemed so silly. Nothing deep or meaningful. It was a tad...silly. And a bit painful to read. I did not agree with most of the points made or categories drawn. Human beings are way more complex than this. No. I would not recommend it. For anyone. I am actually afraid of what damage it could do to a lost mind or in twisted hands.
Taka
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GOOD! GET THE BOOK--

Like Tim Ferriss's The 4-Hour Workweek, this book is packed full of useful information that you would want to come back to again and again, which is something difficult to do with audio format.

It pretty much lays it out for you. Equal parts philosophical and psychological, it outlines each step of the seduction process. Some people condemn the techniques and strategies propounded here to be "amoral" and Machiavellian, but the truth of the matter is: they work. And they have b
Christopher
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Uh... there's a LOT to be learned from this book about human psychology. To really get the best/most of it, you have to stare yourself in the mirror and ask the hard questions -- where do you fall in the various archetypes? What anti-seduction techniques do you personally exhibit? And what kind of victim are you?

I can't decide which book is more interesting and entertaining and thought-provoking, this or the The 48 Laws of Power, the anecdotes from history, the margin quotes/stories are EXCEPTI
Jack
May 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
A great read. It assumes that you are a liar and manipulator by nature, but once you get past that, it's a fascinating study. Some great annecdotes from famous figures in history make it enthralling in parts.

Mo
May 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers, not fighters
Shelves: schwing
I have three copies of this. It's endlessly entertaining.
Riku Sayuj
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
'A History of Great Seducers' would have been a more apt title.
Laleh
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This book...is not pretty. Nor is it a light read. 500 pages written in the most miniscule font known to man...let's just say it takes a lot of effort.

My feelings on it are very mixed. Greene has clearly put a lot of effort into writing it, it's jam packed with extracts from loads of different books, besides embarrassing pretty much every celebrity the world has ever known. (lots of skeletons in the closet!)

So, if nothing else, it's an entertaining read. But the methods it suggests are at times
Jenbebookish
This was hilarious. Entertaining, insightful, somewhat informative, and absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sure there's lots of info in here that's valid and relevant, but a lot of it is a crock that reduces men and women to manipulators and the manipulated. More of a skim through, a what-kind-of-seductress-am-I figure outer, a book to read and compare your own seduction style to and laugh about. Not a book to be taken seriously.
A.C.
May 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I found this book in my town's public library and decided to pick it up on a lark. I've spent a lot of time reading this book--which is unavoidable because it's long--and I've come to the realization that this is a classy version of the pick-up artist.

The classiness of this version comes from the extensive use of classical literary and historical examples. Referencing Casanova, Salome, Evita, and many others, Greene does his best work in using these examples to explain how they were effective in
Samy
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is best used for gaining or building on perspective rather than as a how-to book. It provides some insights into patterns of human behaviour that can be useful far beyond what the title and the marketing image implies. I could have done without the authors repeated use of the words "victim" and "manipulation". Such deliberate negatives come off as cheap and with malicious intent, meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator, rather than an understanding of dynamics that occur in in ...more
Alice
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book.

I was initially turned off by the preface's assertion that seduction is an art developed exclusively by women some 5000 years ago (I believe that it's just the way the sexes talk to each other, and it's never been the purview of solely either women or men) but after I waded into the main text it began to impress me a little more.

It's tiresome to have everything presented as a "how to manipulate someone into playing your evil little game," but the information is s
Angela
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every woman should read this book. Not to learn how to seduce, but to learn how NOT to be seduced.
Little Miss Esoteric
A fascinating and well written book, but let's face it, the outlined tactics are those commonly employed by sociopaths.

Deliberately wounding, confusing, stone walling and gaslighting the chosen 'target' will result in at best, an emotionally damaged and highly insecure person. Sure, in such a state, it's easier to discard them when you are through with them. It's also easy to justify the discarding 'how could I continue with such a emotionally unstable person?'. But if, unlike the sociopath or
J
Mar 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: misc
If you can get past the blatant misogyny and the fact he uses the word "victim" on about every page I guess it has some value in cold calculating machiavellian way.

The ancedotes in places are interesting and are easily the best part. the Quotes along the sides are irritating to read and really break up the flow.

And of course he rationalizes his whole philosophy by suggesting in many places that people who aren't ok with deception and dishonesty have no value (and should be avoided at all costs).
Alain Dib
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I took my time reading the book to judge it correctly I will first discuss the negative matters:
As you go through the pages you can clearly see that the first few chapters are interesting to read and the others are as well but the style at some points becomes SO repetitive I mean if I ever see "put a spell" one more time i feel like burning the book.
And toward the end you sense that Robert Green gets self absorbed and carried away in certain chapters of the book.
To the point where he writes some
Zoya
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Zoya by: A girlfriend gave it to me
I want to read Robert Greens other book The 48 Laws of Power so when someone gave me this book I thought I'd check it out too.

This was an interesting book. Parts of it I enjoyed.

I love learning about the psychology of why we like things or why things are popular so that aspect of it was facinating.
It breaks down how movie stars, politicians and world leaders seduce their public. WHY we are drawn to them or why some leaders are better public speakers than others. Very interesting and helpful f
Yomna hosny
Jan 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
By letting you assume you're the one doing the manipulating, the author is playing on your own insecurities about how people perceive and judge you.

direct quotes from the book:
"Disarm Through Strategic Weakness and Vulnerability"
Why? Are you a Russian spy?

"Aim at secret wishes that have been thwarted or repressed, stirring up uncontrollable emotions, clouding their powers of reason. Lead the seduced to a point of confusion in which they can no longer tell the difference between illusion and real
Suzy Davies
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delicious, wicked book which offers insights into character types, and the art of manipulation. Humorous and Machiavellian, this book may shock and disturb you, and your perception of the way people are. This eclectic book is beautifully written and draws on folk tales, legends, fairy tales, literary figures, and history to illustrate situations and personality types. In essence, it is a study of exchange theory and power relations in interpersonal situations. The book offers advice on strateg ...more
Omar Hegazy
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Seduction is Distraction"
"I would rather hear my dog bark at a cow than a man swear he loves me "
"The masses have never thirsted for truth.they demand illusions, and cannot do without them. they constantly give what is unreal precedence over the real"
"Never Complain. Never explain "
"You know what charm is , A ways of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question "
"People who display no weakness, on the other hand , often elicit envy anxiety and fear!"

This was not only informat
Daniel
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
From a psychological perspective, this book is fascinating. From a moral perspective, this book is horrifying. From a historical perspective, this book is interesting but over embellished.

Essentially, this book is a guide on how to emotionally manipulate and use people in the form of seduction. I mainly read it to be better able to analyze myself and other people; to those ends, this book is quite useful. It goes over many different types of seducers and seduction strategies.

If you follow the s
Zane
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Was expecting something very different when added this book to my reading list.
This book is like a manual for being a douchebag (what's the word for women?) - how to manipulate people, but not really like small things to get them to cooperate or intrigue them. Rather a "how to guide" to have them addicted to you. Because that's healthy, right?
The only people that come to my mind who could benefit from this kind of book - writers who need inspiration on how to build up a high class "bad" charact
Carrie
Sep 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Oh, if only this book had been published when I was a teenager! The quality of my adolescent and college years (okay, and my early- to mid-twenties) might have been far richer, and I might have been so much better at living the hedonistic lifestyle I tried to maintain.

There's a new show on tv about a detective (I think he's a detective) who is so good at figuring everything out first that everyone else thinks must be psychic...but he's not psychic; he's just PAYING ATTENTION. That's supposed to
Laural Bourque
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wish I'd bought the non-concise version, but this is very interesting nonetheless. Throw your ethics out the window before you start reading, although it is very much unisexual. It does apply a tiny bit more to men than women, but the whole point of seduction is it is a power over someone who's fallen in love with you. Love, not lust. And a man in love is just as "silly" as a woman in love. It even goes over types of women from history who were seductresses, as well as the rakes and Don Juans ...more
Aleksiel
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: relationship
For everyone out there who thought this book is about manipulating the other person - you misunderstood it. This is not a practical guide telling you what to say or do, it's more a psychological (and a bit of a historian) study of how people react to certain stimulations. The book teaches you to take your time and study the one you want - to learn how they think and what they want so you can offer them that.

One of the points here is that everyone has a dark side and appealing to it is one of th
Methods of Getting More Out of This Book 1 93 Apr 14, 2015 02:32PM

• Forbidden Faith: The Secret History of Gnosticism
  • A Dark Muse: A History of the Occult
  • The Mystery Method: How to Get Beautiful Women Into Bed
  • Rules of the Game
  • Introducing Neuro-Linguistic Programming: Psychological Skills for Understanding and Influencing People
  • The Art Museum
  • Why Women Have Sex: Understanding Sexual Motivations--From Adventure to Revenge (and Everything in Between)
  • Sperm Wars: Infidelity, Sexual Conflict, and Other Bedroom Battles
  • Comics: A Global History, 1968 to the Present
  • The Pickup Artist: The New and Improved Art of Seduction
  • Introducing Existentialism
  • Civilizations: Culture, Ambition, and the Transformation of Nature
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.

Best-selling author and public speaker, Robert Greene was born in Los Angeles. He attended U.C. California at Berkeley and the University of Wisconsin at Madison, where he received a degree in classical studies. He has worked in New York as an editor and writer at several magazines, including Esquire; and in Hollywood as a story developer and
“When our emotions are engaged, we often have trouble seeing things as they are.” 171 likes
“People are more complicated than the masks they wear in society.” 132 likes