Start by marking “The Art of Seduction” as Want to Read:
The Art of Seduction

The Art of Seduction

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  17,689 ratings  ·  1,156 reviews
The season's most talked-about all-purpose personal strategy guide and philosophical compendium," said Newsweek of Robert Greene's bold, elegant, and ingenious manual of modern manipulation, The 48 Laws of Power. Now Greene has once again mined history and literature to distill the essence of seduction, the most highly refined mode of influence, the ultimate power trip.

Th
Published 2001 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Seduction, please sign up.
La Petite Américaine

Am going to have to disagree with the other comment, even if it is 4 years old.
Jesus.
Is it really that hard to get laid? Keep fit, act confident, be…more

Am going to have to disagree with the other comment, even if it is 4 years old.
Jesus.
Is it really that hard to get laid? Keep fit, act confident, be nice, buy drinks. Chicks generally like that.
I doubt anyone wanted to kick the commenter’s ass out of “jealousy.” Manipulation is obvious. People don’t like it, and it usually sends them into beatdown mode.
If you have to resort to these tactics to get play, take note: you’re pathetic—that’s why you don’t get p*ssy. If you can only score women (or men, for that matter) by fooling or manipulating them into loving you, fucking you, and doing what you want, you’re a loser—and everyone hates you, not because they’re jealous of your “mastery of seduction,” but because people see through that shit and don’t like it. People always catch on to manipulators, date-rapey assholes, and other bottom-feeders who lie about who they really are...at best, it’s an ass-kicking outside a bar because you deserve it, but more realistically, people will simply remember you, and fuck you over when the time is right. Not exactly the best way to win friends and influence people, but you’re fine, if ignore me, you’ve got this—-great strategy.
I mean, when did getting a piece become some giant chess game? Last time I checked, the world is full of sexual people, and getting some isn’t a massive challenge.
It’s called being nice, having confidence, smiling, not looking like crap (try hitting the gym a few times a week), and being genuine in what you say and do. And buying drinks.
Can’t manage any of that and need to turn to this psychopathic drivel? You’re a loser who thinks they’re in control of other people, when you’re really being controlled by your own desire to have someone you don’t believe you’re worthy of or deserve. (Now there’s a chick magnet right there). Keyword being loser, anyway.
Reevaluate your life. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mouneer Soulaiman https://www.facebook.com/almouneer تواصل مع مترجم الكتاب

·  17,689 ratings  ·  1,156 reviews

Start your review of The Art of Seduction
Melissa
May 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
I can't find the perfect word to convey how awful this book is. It espouses a completely manipulative style of dealing with other people in which they are all prey to be hunted. It's noxious. I also believe that I know one of the master seducers who is referred to in the book under a pseudonym, which was terrifying in its own right. It's not about how to do what I would call "seduction." It's about how to control, direct, engineer, exploit, manipulate, machinate, maneuver, steer and hunt others. ...more
Tim Pendry

Almost hypnotically repetitively at times, this might be the book that Machiavelli could have written about love if he had been a jaded modern.

Unfortunately for those determined to be 'nice' in the world, there is scarcely a line in this book that does not ring true.

For better or worse (depending on your stance), Greene is persuasive that seduction is a game between equal partners where the 'victim' is willing enough for what they will get out of the process.

It is about the flow of power betw
Laryssa Wirstiuk
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Since I started reading The Art of Seduction, I've recommended it to just about EVERYONE because everyone seriously needs to read this book. It gave me so much insight into people's desires and the reasons why we're attracted to others. I feel like my mind has completely opened up. As a writer and reader, I feel like I have better insight into character relationships, and I want to explore these new things I've learned in my fiction. Now I watch almost every movie that involves a love interest t ...more
Stefania
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was going to be another annoying "to get him to do this flick your hair." Love this book, it is filled with little inside novela type of things, historical facts, and it has just some of the most interesting people in history. I love history so this book really did it for me. I could read it over and over not even for the seductive element but just because it is so good (in my opinion). The little side note quote and stories are a must read, don't skip over them, too wonderful you'd ...more
Nicholas
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Forewarning:

Due to it's misleading nature and implications one could be lead to believe that the sections in this book may be used to seduce another.

In modern society the need to seduce another would have unhealthy implications and in my opinion comes from a waek/try-hard mindset. It's like saying 'who I am isn't good enough so I'll put on a fallacious act and be that cool/attractive person.'

Sure it might seem like a good idea but ultimately doing such a thing would cause you to lose connection
Thekeyofdana
This is not your Karrine Steffans vixen manual..This is your comprehensive manual of how to seduce not only men but an entire empire. With this manual I have received a proposal, gained a stalker and experienced a riven heart. It was great! lol
iänỳ
Feb 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody ever!
Really? I mean some good work went into this in terms of historical research I guess...But it so was not for me. It just seemed so silly. Nothing deep or meaningful. It was a tad...silly. And a bit painful to read. I did not agree with most of the points made or categories drawn. Human beings are way more complex than this. No. I would not recommend it. For anyone. I am actually afraid of what damage it could do to a lost mind or in twisted hands.
Taka
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GOOD! GET THE BOOK--

Like Tim Ferriss's The 4-Hour Workweek, this book is packed full of useful information that you would want to come back to again and again, which is something difficult to do with audio format.

It pretty much lays it out for you. Equal parts philosophical and psychological, it outlines each step of the seduction process. Some people condemn the techniques and strategies propounded here to be "amoral" and Machiavellian, but the truth of the matter is: they work. And they have b
Christopher
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Uh... there's a LOT to be learned from this book about human psychology. To really get the best/most of it, you have to stare yourself in the mirror and ask the hard questions -- where do you fall in the various archetypes? What anti-seduction techniques do you personally exhibit? And what kind of victim are you?

I can't decide which book is more interesting and entertaining and thought-provoking, this or the The 48 Laws of Power, the anecdotes from history, the margin quotes/stories are EXCEPTI
Jack
May 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
A great read. It assumes that you are a liar and manipulator by nature, but once you get past that, it's a fascinating study. Some great annecdotes from famous figures in history make it enthralling in parts.

Riku Sayuj
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
'A History of Great Seducers' would have been a more apt title.
Mo
May 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers, not fighters
Shelves: schwing
I have three copies of this. It's endlessly entertaining.
J
Mar 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: misc
If you can get past the blatant misogyny and the fact he uses the word "victim" on about every page I guess it has some value in cold calculating machiavellian way.

The ancedotes in places are interesting and are easily the best part. the Quotes along the sides are irritating to read and really break up the flow.

And of course he rationalizes his whole philosophy by suggesting in many places that people who aren't ok with deception and dishonesty have no value (and should be avoided at all costs).
Jenbebookish
This was hilarious. Entertaining, insightful, somewhat informative, and absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sure there's lots of info in here that's valid and relevant, but a lot of it is a crock that reduces men and women to manipulators and the manipulated. More of a skim through, a what-kind-of-seductress-am-I figure outer, a book to read and compare your own seduction style to and laugh about. Not a book to be taken seriously.
Laleh
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This book...is not pretty. Nor is it a light read. 500 pages written in the most miniscule font known to man...let's just say it takes a lot of effort.

My feelings on it are very mixed. Greene has clearly put a lot of effort into writing it, it's jam packed with extracts from loads of different books, besides embarrassing pretty much every celebrity the world has ever known. (lots of skeletons in the closet!)

So, if nothing else, it's an entertaining read. But the methods it suggests are at times
Suzy Davies
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delicious, wicked book which offers insights into character types, and the art of manipulation. Humorous and Machiavellian, this book may shock and disturb you, and your perception of the way people are. This eclectic book is beautifully written and draws on folk tales, legends, fairy tales, literary figures, and history to illustrate situations and personality types. In essence, it is a study of exchange theory and power relations in interpersonal situations. The book offers advice on strateg ...more
Angela
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every woman should read this book. Not to learn how to seduce, but to learn how NOT to be seduced.
A.C.
May 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I found this book in my town's public library and decided to pick it up on a lark. I've spent a lot of time reading this book--which is unavoidable because it's long--and I've come to the realization that this is a classy version of the pick-up artist.

The classiness of this version comes from the extensive use of classical literary and historical examples. Referencing Casanova, Salome, Evita, and many others, Greene does his best work in using these examples to explain how they were effective in
Alice
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book.

I was initially turned off by the preface's assertion that seduction is an art developed exclusively by women some 5000 years ago (I believe that it's just the way the sexes talk to each other, and it's never been the purview of solely either women or men) but after I waded into the main text it began to impress me a little more.

It's tiresome to have everything presented as a "how to manipulate someone into playing your evil little game," but the information is s
Samy
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is best used for gaining or building on perspective rather than as a how-to book. It provides some insights into patterns of human behaviour that can be useful far beyond what the title and the marketing image implies. I could have done without the authors repeated use of the words "victim" and "manipulation". Such deliberate negatives come off as cheap and with malicious intent, meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator, rather than an understanding of dynamics that occur in in ...more
Little Miss Esoteric
A fascinating and well written book, but let's face it, the outlined tactics are those commonly employed by sociopaths.

Deliberately wounding, confusing, stone walling and gaslighting the chosen 'target' will result in at best, an emotionally damaged and highly insecure person. Sure, in such a state, it's easier to discard them when you are through with them. It's also easy to justify the discarding 'how could I continue with such a emotionally unstable person?'. But if, unlike the sociopath or
Alain Dib
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I took my time reading the book to judge it correctly I will first discuss the negative matters:
As you go through the pages you can clearly see that the first few chapters are interesting to read and the others are as well but the style at some points becomes SO repetitive I mean if I ever see "put a spell" one more time i feel like burning the book.
And toward the end you sense that Robert Green gets self absorbed and carried away in certain chapters of the book.
To the point where he writes some
Daniel
From a psychological perspective, this book is fascinating. From a moral perspective, this book is horrifying. From a historical perspective, this book is interesting but over embellished.

Essentially, this book is a guide on how to emotionally manipulate and use people in the form of seduction. I mainly read it to be better able to analyze myself and other people; to those ends, this book is quite useful. It goes over many different types of seducers and seduction strategies.

If you follow the s
Yomna hosny
Jan 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
By letting you assume you're the one doing the manipulating, the author is playing on your own insecurities about how people perceive and judge you.

direct quotes from the book:
"Disarm Through Strategic Weakness and Vulnerability"
Why? Are you a Russian spy?

"Aim at secret wishes that have been thwarted or repressed, stirring up uncontrollable emotions, clouding their powers of reason. Lead the seduced to a point of confusion in which they can no longer tell the difference between illusion and real
Omar Hegazy
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Seduction is Distraction"
"I would rather hear my dog bark at a cow than a man swear he loves me "
"The masses have never thirsted for truth.they demand illusions, and cannot do without them. they constantly give what is unreal precedence over the real"
"Never Complain. Never explain "
"You know what charm is , A ways of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question "
"People who display no weakness, on the other hand , often elicit envy anxiety and fear!"

This was not only informat
Zoe
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Zoe by: A girlfriend gave it to me
I want to read Robert Greens other book The 48 Laws of Power so when someone gave me this book I thought I'd check it out too.

This was an interesting book. Parts of it I enjoyed.

I love learning about the psychology of why we like things or why things are popular so that aspect of it was facinating.
It breaks down how movie stars, politicians and world leaders seduce their public. WHY we are drawn to them or why some leaders are better public speakers than others. Very interesting and helpful f
Aleksiel
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: relationship
For everyone out there who thought this book is about manipulating the other person - you misunderstood it. This is not a practical guide telling you what to say or do, it's more a psychological (and a bit of a historian) study of how people react to certain stimulations. The book teaches you to take your time and study the one you want - to learn how they think and what they want so you can offer them that.

One of the points here is that everyone has a dark side and appealing to it is one of th
Kenya Wright
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent body of work. So many great lessons. Warning, I did have to see the information as a body of work exploring seduction throughout history verses a how to seduce. There was a discussion of choosing your victim etc. It was fun to read and for me this is great book research writing a romance, but would I do a lot of these things. . .yes/no.
Meko
Mar 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help-book
The title of this book should be changed to...: "How to Date Like an Emotionally Unavailable F*cktard and Win the Attention of Your Emotionally Unavailable Lover".

While entertaining, the one thing that everyone should learn from this (something that Greene says himself) is that this will not work on a healthy and functional adult. These tactics work only on those with a low self esteem--those that lack boundaries and self-love. No emotionally available adult would carry out these tactics or be s
Cassandra Kay Silva
Jul 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
I hated this book. It could have been tolerable if the author presented it more as a study and kept with the historical details and research. Instead he gives you a crash course on how to manipulate, use, and discard the "object, target, or victim" of your seduction. That language alone lets you see what the aim of the game is, and it is neither beautiful or lovely. It is heartless and calculating, heaven help the fools trapped by such overtly conniving people.
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong informations about a book 4 24 Jul 16, 2019 08:38PM
Methods of Getting More Out of This Book 1 103 Apr 14, 2015 02:32PM

• The 50th Law
  • The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists
  • The Mystery Method: How to Get Beautiful Women Into Bed
  • Models: Attract Women Through Honesty
  • The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • The Rational Male
  • The Rational Male – Preventive Medicine
  • No More Mr. Nice Guy
  • The Art of War
  • Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
  • How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
  • The Book of Pook
  • What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People
  • Summary: The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • The Way of Men
  • Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.

Best-selling author and public speaker, Robert Greene was born in Los Angeles. He attended U.C. California at Berkeley and the University of Wisconsin at Madison, where he received a degree in classical studies. He has worked in New York as an editor and writer at several magazines, including Esquire; and in Hollywood as a story developer and

News & Interviews

“When our emotions are engaged, we often have trouble seeing things as they are.” 192 likes
“People are more complicated than the masks they wear in society.” 150 likes