Start by marking “Over Cast” as Want to Read:
Over Cast

Over Cast

(Over Cast #1)

Growing up in small town Louisiana as the only child of a single mother, G.J. led a somewhat sheltered life. Being a misfit didn't bother her until a G.J. aimed prank gone wrong caused her mother’s death by killer bees. Since then she has moved to the other side of the country to live with her Aunt. In this new town being a social outcast is the least of her troubles. The ...more
Paperback, 1, 307 pages
Published March 4th 2014 by Kwbenton

To ask other readers questions about Over Cast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over Cast

James McCormick
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Over Cast deals with most of the issues one might expect of young adult fiction; teen angst, popularity, peer pressure, sexual attractions and crushes. It also features a protagonist G.J. who is very much the outsider and “a bit of a target”, a five foot eleven ninth grade female student with an out of place Louisiana accent.

On the whole the first person narrative works well and is written in prose we might imagine G.J herself speaking, something not always the case when an author adopts a radic
Scott Spotson
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
The book starts of beautifully, with descriptive language and sparkling dialogue cleverly dissecting a teenager's hopes, dreams, and relations with her peers in a school setting. I loved the coming-of-age material in this book, and even if all of the fantasy was removed and this book found a new plot line concerning teenage angst, I would love it.

I love speculative fiction, and the prevalence of fantasy in everyday life, but here I found it puzzling. There are a lot of teenage boys surrounding t
E.G. Manetti
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

K.W Benton’s Over Cast, is a delightful addition to the Young Adult Paranormal space. The precocious fifteen year old G.J hits the right note for her age as she veers between sophisticated references to Da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man and fumbling awkwardness in her attempts to assimilate to a new school mid-year. Adding to G.J’s challenges are the double upheavals of tragically losing her mother and moving from Louisiana to Washington State. Benton
Hock Tjoa
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This is overall a well-written fantasy novel, the few nits that one might find in it notwithstanding ("Gus's smile is a spectacular [period]"). It is a story told with easy charm and likable characters.

I find the story line evasive for several chapters about the men and the women who are not the main characters; it is as if the author is toying with her reader. Mostly, however, I am much puzzled by the choice of a nine-grader as the voice of this first person narrative.
This is a device that can
K. Cat
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

This YA book grabs your interest from the beginning. It’s written from the viewpoint of the main character, fifteen year-old G.J. Conflict likes to follow G.J. around and there is plenty of conflict in this novel.

I enjoyed the paranormal element and looked forward to G.J.’s supernatural abilities as she alternated between trying to use them and accidentally using them. It was hilarious when she put the Icy Hot in the nasty girls’ underwear
Florian Armas
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Reading Over Cast was like traveling back into childhood – the result of being written from the viewpoint of a fifteen year-old girl, and it seems that Benton finds it both easy and enjoyable to slip under the skin of the main character, G.S. This is a hidden fantasy world – with Wiccan witches and werewolves – that can exist in your back yard without you knowing it, and many children would dream finding the proper gate to step inside, after reading the novel.

As there is a lot of good humor, mos
Mary Benton
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fun read for young adults and even for old adults like me. The characters are likable and the plot well defined. I especially enjoyed the author's pop culture references and inside jokes throughout the book. I felt like one of the insiders. An excellent first novel. I can't wait for the next one.
Anna Fantabulous
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over Cast has a fantastic start and a less-than-awesome finish. Apparently, the first book in a YA series, it has a good synopsis, witty dialogue and well-developed characters. Glory Juniper Gardner aka G.J. is a 15-year old 5’11” witch who grew up with her mom in improvised isolation in Dean Lee State Forest, Louisiana in an area surrounded by cemeteries. She can control things - a power her mother used to call ‘overreach of will‘ and spent her childhood being happy around alligators, snakes an ...more
Mike Robbins
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Over Cast is a novel for young adults, the sort you might buy for your teenager in an attempt to wean them away from the PlayStation. The trouble is, you’re going to end up reading it yourself. I was hooked from the first page, on which the main protagonist, a 15-year-old girl called G.J., has an interview with the school principal:

“G.J., do you have any idea how Icy Hot ended up in Miss Ackers’ underpants?”
This I can answer with at least a half-truth. “No, sir. No, sir, I do not.”

For UK readers
G.J. Griffiths
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: gjg
Over Cast is a well-written and charming tale with likeable characters but containing many terms and phrases unfamiliar to this British reader. However, despite this small obstacle and the fact that its main appeal would be to teenagers and young adults, I found to my surprise that I quite enjoyed it. The story is told through the voice of Glory (or G J as she is called throughout the book) a somewhat precocious fifteen year-old girl, who is taller than average and happens to possess paranormal ...more
Sherrod Wall
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
"Over Cast" by K.W Benton is a paranormal romance tale told from the point of view of G.J. Gardener. As a whole the story is very interesting. Benton draws from a number of well known paranormal phenomenon to create a fantastic setting for her characters to dwell in.

My favorite aspect of this novel is how Benton veils the paranormal part of her universe and gradually introduces G.J. and her readers to it. Although, I do think the hints at the beginning of the novel are a bit subtle. "Over Cast"
K.W. Benton
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Adults and Young Adult readers.
This is an entertaining YA novel. I found myself giggling aloud as I read.
A.L. Goulden
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teenagers
Recommended to A.L. by: author
This is a great addition to the imaginative young adult novels that have sprouted up over the last few years. It took me a while to read do to life getting in my own way, but there was no way I could walk away and not finish this novel. It hooks you in from the first page with a great main character, 15 year old G.J. I will admit that at first, I didn't like her name. The two initials don't roll off the tongue well, but over time it fit this special character.

I felt like there were several chara
P.J. McDermott
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults fans of fantasy fiction
I was given a copy of the novel, Overcast, in exchange for an honest review.

Overcast is fantasy fiction for young adults. There is a lot I liked about this novel. The main character, GJ, is an intelligent fifteen year old girl with an acerbic wit and an affinity to all things in nature, including a local wolf who befriends her. GJ has just moved to a new town to live with her aunt, following the accidental death of her mother. The locals seem to be mainly young men with magnificent physiques, an
Jake Thompson
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a teen-focused tale, written in first person. The book reminded me of a teen version of Charlaine Harris’ Dead Until Dark with its first person narrative, spunky heroine and supernatural mystique. The book is filled with many comic one-liners and inner dialogues written for humorous effect. There is also a lot of pseudo-Wiccan folklore included to help drive the plot.

Moreover, the book is a very easy read. There is mostly telling and very little showing. For the reader, there is no need
Jamie Jeffries
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, reviewed

The first thing I want to say is that I enjoyed this book more than the star rating shows. I love a book that's hilarious as well as having a good story line, and this one is and does. In fact, I hope that the last scene indicated a sequel is coming, and I'll gladly read it. The characters did engage me and intrigue me, so for humor and storyline, 5 stars.

Take a naturally powerful telekinetic from the south and drop
Ryan
Mar 21, 2014
Kalpana Ronlov
Mar 25, 2014
Muditha Gunasinghe
rated it did not like it
Jun 14, 2019