Start by marking “Bear Heart” as Want to Read:

Bear Heart

(Klawdia #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Alternative cover edition for ASIN: B00CYOV33I

“Women serve men, and you must prove that you can be a man before you may lead.”

The Bear tribe have always ruled the Nation of Ruxdor, though with no male heirs to continue the line, Klawdia, the chieftain’s daughter and only child, must compete in a bestial rite of passage against four other tribal boys to retain her family’s
Published March 2014 (first published May 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Heart

Samantha
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I loved Klawdia in the Healers of Meligna series and was excited when I found that she's got her own books.
I was surprised to finish the book so quickly, it was very fast paced. I thought K.J. Colt did an excellent job describing the scenery.
Klawdia was an easy character for me to like. She tries hard to be strong but her walls crack a time or two. I know he didn't get loads of page time, but I also really like Jeykal. He seems like a very loyal friend. I hope we ge
Scott
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Is this book worth reading being free? To be honest I would've been willing to pay for it.

It's a first person perspective book full of wilderness survival and action. It's quite a contrast to KJ Colt's Concealed Power ((The Healers of Meligna, Book #1)), which has virtually no action in it. But despite the two being very different in that sense, they're both excellent stories in their own right.

This story occurs in the same world as Concealed Power, maybe about 15 years before it. Klawdia is a c
Cat
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-freebie
Interesting premise, though I was really disappointed with the heroine of the book, Klawdia. Her poor decision making skills may be a testament to her age (15, I think) but also leads me to believe she really would be a terrible leader.

Anyhow, short story so it's an easy read.
Tina
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Girl tries to make good for the Bear Clan but everyone is in her way. She's trying to prove to her father that she not useless and prove to the clan that she's leadership material. Klawdia is sent on a rite of passage for and the results of the rite decide who the next leader is. When her crush tries seducing her she thinks he's trying to make a move on her but is that all? Or is he trying to mess up her chances of being leader?
Personally, I had a few issues with the story. I don't' care for wea
Candice Harris
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 and half stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Written well and very enjoyable to read. Loved the storyline and its very fresh and new to read. Couldnt put down.

I liked how tge storyline progressed and how strong the female lead is. Finished in a place that leaves you looking for the next book! Im really interested to find out what happens to our female lead and if she meets any new and excitibg characters.

Recommend to anyone who likes to read with strong female characters. Mature reader +13yrs.
Laura Greenwood
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

Reviewed as part of the FIERCE anthology

Title: Bear Heart
Anthology Release Date: 10th March 2015
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon
Anthology Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Klawdia has to prove herself. As a girl born into a land where the chief position is passed from father to son, she has to prove herself in the Bestial Chal
J.
Hmm. Discovered this book somewhat by chance (browsing through LibraryThing and then noticing it was permanently free on Amazon for Kindle), and overall, I'm impressed with the level of world-building it packs into a fairly short novella. The characterization is also handled quite well, and I felt like, in a short book, I still got to understand several characters and their motives somewhat--if not deeply.

I think my main problem with the book, though, is the level of melodrama. From Chapter 1, y
Rosie Amber
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bear Heart is book one in this YA fantasy series. It begins with a ceremony preceding the Bestial Passage. The Bestial Passage is a test of strength and skills that the first born young from 4 of the main tribes of the land must take part in. Klawdia is the daughter of the ruling Bear tribe, Skelkra is the son of the Wolves. Jeykal is the son of the Hawgrald Birds, Ketnal is son of the Lions and Lild is the son of the Snakes.

The teenagers are drugged and taken to the Death Peaks mountains where
Lunamoth
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a short novella Bear Heart defiantly packs a punch. Klawdia being a female must partake of a challenge (the first in more than 200 years) against 54other boys from the neighboring tribes (Wolf, Snake, Hawgrald and Lion) In order to be able to rule the Bear clan after her father dies.

From the get-go the book was fast paced and mesmerizing. I loved Klawdia's tough character and she defiantly made some hard choices during the trial and afterwards. Not that it was easy for her, Skelkra of the W
Bill Thibadeau
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to let you know that I do not read fantasy genre books EXCEPT for those written by KJ Colt. I received a free copy of the first book in the Concealed Power series (Healers of Meligna). I did not know what to expect but I had committed to read it in exchange for a review. Suffice it to say that I was enthralled by the style and skill of the author.

I read on the author's blog that she was writing a series about Klawdia during her formative years. Klawdia is a somewhat minor character in the
Irene ~ Ice Cold Passion
First thought: different, thought it would be a shifters, but turned out to be a kind of historical, prehistoric kind of story, which I actually loved very much!

Allthough this was not what I was hoping for, the story turned out to be pretty great! It was really well written, nice and short (only a hundert pages) which makes this in my book a novella. I thought Klawdia was a strong character, I like her but in some cases she was a bit naive. But on the other hand, the betrayal came as a bit of a
Brewergnome
Interesting, but gets caught up a bit consistencywise in politics/social mores. Not sure exactly where, but maybe it was just the weight of all the little pieces that didn't quite fit. The "you can be a female chief if you beat everyone else" totally fits, cool. But somehow after that, I couldn't quite buy the "no babies out of wedlock" EXTREME value with the apparently *equally* extreme "OMG NO ABORTIONS EVER" value, given that the stated reason for the value was population... that said, curren ...more
Michelle Thomas
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bear Heart is the story of Klawdia's test to retain her right to rule the Bear Clan. Ruxdor is a male dominated nation and The Bear Clan has ruled for many generations but now with no male heir Klawdia must win a competition against the male heirs of the other clans to earn the right to rule. It is a coming of age story with lots of action, betrayal, friendship and Klawdia's determination to complete the quest and prove herself. While the ending finishes the story it leaves an opening for future ...more
Joanie
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
This was a free e-book from Librarything and now I can't wait to read book II.
Klawdia was a daughter of the tribal leader so she had to go into a competition against four male participants to gain control of the tribes. Her family (the Bears) have been ruling for many years and the Bears wanted to keep it that way. Killing a bear with a knife was hard to do but could she survive? What a great fantasy ebook!
Sheena
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first foray into the world K.J. Colt has created although now that I know this is part of a larger universe I'm keen to learn more.

This is pretty much a novella although that's not a bad thing in the slightest. You're thrown straight into the action with Klawdia and there's no real let up until the end. So it's short, but a fun read and then on to the next one.
Kevis Hendrickson
An excellent novella that kicks off what appears to be an exceptional series. The world-building is quite amazing. The story reminds me of a mash up of a fantasy version of The Clan of the Cave Bear and The Last of the Mohicans. A great book for readers looking for a strong female lead. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Delphia L. Slover
Bear Heart (Klawdia series book 1)

Loved reading about Klawdia in her youth and can't wait to read the next book. So glad I already purchased it and it's waiting for me on my Kindle.
Deborah
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this little novella even though it was an off shoot from another series it's fine to read without reading the original series. Warning there is a major cliff hanger and the need for the next book is massive!!!
Ivey Rashid
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I received a copy of this book as part of LibraryThing Member Giveaway program. Though the story line is similar to Hunger Games, the adventures of Klawdia makes it an enjoyable read. Hope to enjoy the next book of the series as well.
Annie
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-16-21
I really enjoyed this fast-paced, action-packed novel. It was short so I read most of it in one sitting. It reminded me a bit of The Hunger Games. I liked all the characters and the chemistry between them.
Berta Kleiner
Sep 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
see FIERCE: Sixteen Authors Of Fantasy
Eoin Coffey
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vibrant

Great story from the beginning. The story makes you understand Klawdia better and why she is who she is in the Healers of Meligna series
Kathy
Feb 24, 2018
Kacie
Aug 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Lost Secret of Fairies (The Crystal Keeper Chronicles, #1)
  • The Encounter (Boreal and John Grey, #1)
  • Mighty Hammer Down
  • Rylee (The Rylee Adamson Epilogues, #1)
  • FIERCE: Sixteen Authors of Fantasy
  • Magic of the Gargoyles (Gargoyle Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta
  • The Legend of Witch Bane
  • Winter's Bite
  • Fire-Heart (Tales of Alterra, The World That Is #2)
  • Ties That Bind (The Spire Chronicles, #2)
  • Hedge Witch (The Cloven Land Trilogy #1)
  • War-Bringer (Twinborn Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Dragons and Dreams: Bedtime Stories
  • The Hourglass of Souls (Max and the Gatekeeper Book II)
  • The Mountain of Marvels: A Celtic Tale of Magic, Retold from The Mabinogion (Ancient Fantasy)
  • A Grave Magic (The Shadow Sorceress, #1)
  • Anja's Star (Outer Settlement Agency, #1)
U.S.A Today Bestselling author Kylie J. Colt writes fantasy with a psychological twist. By threading common psychological pathologies such as anxiety, depression and mood disorders, into her storytelling she creates deeper, more dynamic characters.

Located on the sunny Gold Coast of Australia, she has been writing for three years. Her favourite writers are Kristin Cashore, Robin Hobb, Trudi Canavan

Klawdia (3 books)