Start by marking “The Copper Witch (The Broken Line, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Copper Witch (The Broken Line, #1)

The Copper Witch (The Broken Line #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Adela Tilden has always been more ambitious than her station in life might allow. A minor nobleman’s daughter on a failing barony, Adela’s prospects seem dire outside of marrying well-off. When Adela catches the eye of the crown prince, Edward, however, well-off doesn’t seem to be a problem. Thrown into a world of politics and intrigue, Adela might have found all the excit ...more
Published March 13th 2014 by 5 Prince Publishing (first published March 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Copper Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Copper Witch

Laura Greenwood
The Copper Witch was a bit of a slow starter for me, and at one point I wasn't actually sure that I was going to carry on with it. However, I kept going, and I'm glad I did, as by the end I didn't want to put it down.

The thing that put me off a bit was how old Adela was. She was 15 at the start of the book, but she was acting a lot older (we're talking seducing men and playing politics). For the most part though, especially later in the book, it was easy to forget how old she was, and that real
Austine (NovelKnight)
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
My, my, my, Miss Adela Tilden certainly knows how to get herself noticed. From the granddaughter of a baroness to the king's court, this little spitfire works her way to the top and all while under twenty. That's definitely ambition if I ever saw it. Dall threw Adela into a world of politics and intrigue and set her loose on the poor nobles.

They never stood a chance.

I didn't take to Adela's character until later in the story. Her young age and mannerisms gave her an edge of teen annoyance that I
Rosy
Feb 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review was written for The Review Diaries.

You can read the full review on the site: http://reviewdiaries.blogspot.fr/2015...

Thanks to Netgalley and 5 Prince Publishing for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I am a huge fan of historical novels, particularly when they feature a strong female protagonist who isn’t afraid to use her wits/charms/any attributes whatsoever to get what she wants, so I was understandably excited when I started this one. However it all went downhill
Lauralee
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Jessica Dall’s debut novel tells the story of the impoverished daughter of a baron who manages to catch the crown prince’s eye. She then rises from her humble beginnings to become the most powerful woman in the country. This is a tale of ambition, romance, and betrayal that will be sure to delight fans of soap operas. But overall, there is an intelligent woman, who will do anything to achieve her goals.

Adela at first seems to be a carefree, independent, bold woman, who loves to speak her mind.
Emma
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

First off, I love the cover it is beautiful.

The premise of the book was exciting and engaging. I was a little disappointed there was no reference to where and when it took place.

The story was intriguing, I had no idea where it was going most of the time, which was a good thing. I felt drawn into the story and I wanted more, I always wanted more. Unfortunately I wanted more at the end too. I have no idea what happe
Anne
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Copper Witch is about 16 year old Adela Tilden, the kind of woman most of us hate.
She is uncommonly beautiful and gets whatever she wants because of it.
Her flaming red hair inspires the book's title.

At the beginning of this story, I found it very hard to sympathize with her.
She uses her looks, and sex, to get what she wants in life, and she is ambitious.
But she also knows exactly who and what she is, and what her position in life will be like (impoverished) unless she takes control of her d
Rochelle
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adela Tilden has ambition. Although young and having been sheltered in the country, she is able to quickly rise from the position of future Baroness to Queen. It is unclear whether her good fortune comes from her beauty, her wits or the charmed copper bracelet she wears. Her power to seduce and manipulate men at court alienates those around her leaving her with few friends. Antony Fletcher, Adela's former art instructor, is caught under her spell and follows along in her wake as a lone constant. ...more
Dawn
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a free ecopy of this book for an honest review.

The Copper Witch is about Adela, a beautiful young lady who easily gets what she wants because of her beauty and charm. At 16 years old, she's already a sly seductress even though she grew up in a secluded area of the country.

The story takes you from Adele's original home with her grandmother to the city of her fiance to the court where she meets the prince. It seems that all men are enamored with the beautiful young woman.

By the end of t
Rachel Carpenter
The story accurately portrayed the sickness of greed and lust that was so rampant in kingdoms of that era. The characters, though hard to like at first, were tolerable toward the end and at several points, even enjoyable. I found myself thinking about the story while I was away from it, and to me, that is the mark of a good story.

I would advise that this is an adult book and while there is no explicit content, you may wish to consider it the equivalent of a PG-13 movie. There are fade-to-black m
Adele
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
I was given an advanced copy if this book for a fair and honest review.

I enjoyed The Copper Witch, although it wasn't my usual genre of reading. I found Adela very ambitious and cunning and she used her beauty to get what she wanted. I did find her quite vulnerable though and felt like she was targeted by the powerful, political men. I loved the authors description of Adela, she sounded at times quite magical and ethereal. Adela also reminded me of a female Henry VIII. The author kept me interes
Kim
Overall Thoughts:

Though the book jacket description is eye-catching, it really isn’t doing this book justice. The story is much more involved than it would lead you to believe. I expected to like the book, but I ended up enjoying it, and Adela, more than I thought I would. I’m definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.

Read the rest of the review at Quintessentially Bookish
Shannan Carriker
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a book that was slow to start, picked up in the middle, and was disappointing in the end. I really did like the story overall. The tragic life of a girl who never truly knew love. When she did find it, she lost it all too soon. Not sure what to do after that, she used only what she knew from the past to help her keep going. The book has an abrupt and disappointing ending that I did not expect. I guess after the build up of the book, I expected more. I give it 3 out of 5 stars because I ...more
Mary Egizii
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Copper Witch

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I give it a 4 out of 5 stars

Was it the copper bracelet or Adela who had the powers… Adela had the ability to bewitch any man and move up from a minor nobleman’s daughter to a Queen leaving broken hearts along the way. With her copper bracelet she was able to take anything that was thrown at her and come out on top. Great story. I would love to read the sequel.
Becky
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty disappointing, the main character, Adela is totally unsympathetic and unattractive. She is a mix of manipulative, naive, and without morals. The premise is that she is minor nobility who uses her looks and her effect on men to fulfill her ambitions.

There are some promising moments in the book, but every single one disappoints as Adela continues to be terrible to everyone in her life. This one is not worth the time.
Amy
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character is very flighty...Wanting her freedom and privilege, she seems to go with whatever man gives her that. She seems to be searching for "love" in all the wrong places.
The poor ladies maid tries to keep her out of trouble and in good graces, but she never listens.
Was a good read, I want to thank Netgalley, the publisher, and the author for letting me read this book for free for an honest review.
Raquel (Rocki)
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, blog-review
The full review can be found at my blog.

Though I can say this was a very good read and I hope to find out what happens in book two.

Clare
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the book and the writing style was fantastic. I felt the end was just a tad abrupt so I was a little disappointed, but overall a great read!
Jenni Schell
I'm torn about this book. While I loved the main character, Adela, I just couldn't seem to love the story as much. I think that it deserves a read and maybe another chance.
angela hazelhurst
Jul 07, 2016
Samantha Wheeler
Jun 10, 2015
Kriselda Gray
rated it did not like it
Feb 18, 2015
Lynn Demsky
rated it it was ok
May 14, 2014
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 01:09PM
  • Patience Becomes A Lady (The Hawthorne Diaries #1)
  • The Angel of Time
  • Haunting Miss Trentwood
  • Nannyland
  • Once Beloved
  • Will
  • Miss Armistead Makes Her Choice (Miss Delacourt #6)
  • Curious, If True: Strange Tales
  • White Feathers
Jessica Dall finished her first novel at age 15 and been writing ever since. She is the author of such novels as Raining Embers and Off Book, the Broken Line Series, and a number of short stories which have appeared in both literary magazines and anthologies. When not writing, she works as a editor and creative writing teacher in Washington, DC.
More about Jessica Dall

The Broken Line (4 books)
  • The Copper Rebellion (The Broken Line, #1.5)
  • The Porcelain Child (The Broken Line, #2)
  • The Paper Masque (The Broken Line, #3)