Start by marking “Hercufleas” as Want to Read:
Hercufleas

Hercufleas

Greta is a girl on a mission: to venture to Avalon and bring back a hero who can save her home from destruction by the monstrous giant Yuk.

Many heroes have tried before now. Many have failed.

What Greta needs is a hero whose courage and self-belief are greater than himself. She needs Hercufleas.

The only problem: he is a flea, no bigger than a raisin. But the smallest person
Published April 2nd 2015 by Andersen Press Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Hercufleas, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Briar's Reviews
Hercufleas is the cutest book I've read this year, and it deserves so much more recognition than it's getting!

Sam Gayton has created hit that Disney might want to steal in the future! This off the beaten path "Hercules" re-telling (in a way) is one of the best action novels I've ever read and enjoyed - and it's a middle grade novel! This book outdid so many adult action novels and it wasn't even aimed at my age group! I can see so many adults reading this to their kids and getting a lot out of i
Fleur Hitchcock
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Like Sam's other books, Hercufleas is vaguely set in Albion, a land of surprising things and people. it's a fantastical tale, but told snappily and directly, with another great heroine and a fabulous hero.
Pop Bop
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
After A Slow Start This Tale Builds Nicely

This book opens with the birth, (hatching), of Hercufleas. We meet his family and visit the hat in which he lives. We are showered with flea puns and flea words, (we meet Hercufleas' "fleamily", and so on). After a few pages of that this looked like it would just be a little-engine-that-could tale with flea jokes. But boy, that's just a piece of the story.

I sympathize with authors who have to set up an arch, slim and maybe cutesy premise before they can
Edie
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A hero's journey story centering around a flea with big dreams and an embittered girl who has lost all she loves but wishes to save her town from a dreadful monster. There are many lovely moments in this book, some centering on when Hercufleas drinks a drop of Greta's blood and senses the sweetness when she is hopeful and the bitterness when she is not. He longs for his family while she has lost hers and the two finally come to an understanding of each other around this shared experience. Hercuf ...more
Rachael
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I think I enjoyed this book more than The Snow Merchant. The amount of thought that went into this book is mind blowing. From the Flea Hat House to the giant world around Hercufleas. There's so much attention to detail and amazing imagination that went into this book. I really want to read it again because I'm sure I'll pick up on more things!

I will definitely be recommending this book to children in the library. You won't forget this raisin-sized hero, that just wants to go on a que
Andrew
May 25, 2015 marked it as to-read
Hercufleas by Sam Gayton

An evil giant by the name of Yuk needs to defeat and many heros have failed before him. The next hero to combat this evil creature is... Hercufleas a tiny flea who is no bigger than a raison. This tiny character is small by nature but mighty by heart which is demonstrated many times through the story. Throughout the story the flea comes across obstacles and decisions which will have incredible awful outcomes if he does not succeed.

The story looks at friendship and the th
Terry Maguire
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic riff on the hero's journey that middle grade readers will love! The action, humor, and unlikely hero of this novel will appeal to many students & the central idea - "believe something and it is halfway to being real" is a great takeaway. Young people will love Greta & Hercufleas and will be delightfully grossed out by the descriptions of The Yuk who's been guzzling people from Greta's hometown of Tumber.
Holly Anderson
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great read! It incorporated myths and legends with cool twists. Extremely innovative and fantastical characters. The author is amazingly talented at word play in both a meaningful and amusing way. The morals of the story are easy to see, yet told in such an entertaining way that it in no way feels like you are being lectured, but in fact, the reader feels involved in the evolution of the character development.
Rebecca
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable children's story about a flea named Hercufleas who wants to be a hero. With the help of a human girl named Greta, they go on an adventure to try to save her town from an evil giant. Very well written, good character development, and excellent flow.
Michele
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being legally blind, I used two different technologies to read this book. Slow and often frustrating, I still do it.

I enjoyed this book. It was an amusing, good read with a moral to it. The moral didn't hit you over the head which was nice.

I would recommend this bood.
Luisa
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Well written, a unique fairy tale, but not my cup of tea. In reviewing this book i did keep in mind that i am not the intended audience for it. I had higher hopes based on the blurb about it but it just did not live up to my expectation. yes i would recommend it for age appropriate readers.
Emily P.
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full of heart it was a nice story
Scott Hensley
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story
Tianna
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through a good reads giveaway. This book was really unexpected. I had a lot of fun reading about Hercufleas and his adventure though this book.
Elizabeth Beverley
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story, very unique. Loved the references to characters from Sam's other books too.
Lil Jen
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really cute story that doesn't have a love aspect. Family, friends and fighting giants, great read for MS students.
Mel
Sep 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was a bit too strange and all over the place for me, but I can see why it would appeal to a younger audience.
Julie Dietzel-Glair
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A classic adventure with an un-classic hero. I would have loved this book as a child.
Kien Le Trung
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book is so incredible fun, great plot and teach reader a wonderful things everyone needs to know. That “ small” things can be important, that a flea can be a hero. Hercufleas. That is his name. Hercules + flea. The Hercules of Flea. He will have to save an village from a monstrous giant who already won so many heroes who is “bigger”, “stronger” than him. And why do he win? I recommend you to read out this epic book and find out yourself.

- Whatever the size of his enemies, the winner’s
Sydnie MacDonald
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was sweet and nature filled but one thing is that in this book the main character a flea drinks blood and I found that slightly gross. Otherwise it is nice. It is not my favorite, I wish there was more action but but it was good.
Lisa
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent adventure. Thoroughly enjoyed this minuscule hero
Robin
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hercufleas is a flea - an unusually large, talking flea, but still, a flea. Nevertheless, from the very day he hatches out of his egg, he wants to be a hero. He gets that chance in short order, thanks to his fleamily's position as employfleas - you see where this is going - of a man who rents out heroes. Along comes a girl named Greta, from a town named Tumber, whose citizens are being guzzled by an indestructible giant named Yuk. They have tried hiring heroes before, but none of them has manage ...more
Fox
TMM
Oct 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Strongheart: Wonder Dog of the Silver Screen
  • How Oscar Indigo Broke the Universe (And Put It Back Together Again)
  • Sled Dog School
  • Mr. Gedrick and Me
  • The Midnight War of Mateo Martinez
  • Stella Diaz Has Something to Say
  • Everything You Need to Know about Nightmares! and How to Defeat Them
  • Clutch
  • The Enchanted Egg (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #2)
  • Herobear and the Kid Volume 1: The Inheritance
  • Pablo and Birdy
  • Gertie Milk and the Keeper of Lost Things
  • Like Magic
  • The Magnificent Flying Baron Estate (The Bizarre Baron Inventions, #1)
  • Under Water, Under Earth
  • My Little Pony:  Fluttershy and the Fine Furry Friends Fair
  • Marabel and the Book of Fate
  • The King of Kazoo
Sam Gayton lives and writes in a basement, where the spiders are big and hungry. He works at a primary school in Kent. The Snow Merchant is his first book. Now it’s finished he’ll go and write another one. He can’t tell you anything except for the first line: I can’t outrun the horses.