Start by marking “The Churn (Expanse, #0.2)” as Want to Read:
The Churn (Expanse, #0.2)

The Churn (The Expanse 0.2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,983 Ratings  ·  227 Reviews
From New York Times bestselling author James S.A. Corey...
Before his trip to the stars, before the Rocinante, Amos Burton was confined to a Baltimore where crime paid you or killed you. Unless the authorities got to you first.
Set in the hard-scrabble solar system of the Expanse, The Churn deepens James S. A. Corey's acclaimed series.

The Expanse (soon to be a major SyFy Ch
Audiobook, 2 pages
Published June 10th 2014 by Hachette Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Churn, please sign up.

Напушен Песнопойни The series is numbered in terms of chronology, but according to the authors, is best experienced in order of publication (main novels in bold):

…more

Leviathan Wakes (2011)
The Butcher of Anderson Station (2011)
Caliban's War (2012)
Nemesis Games (2015)
The Vital Abyss (2015)
Babylon's Ashes (2016)(less)

Kemper
Amos Burton is the resident bad ass among the crew of the Rocinante who often argues that whatever problem they have at the moment could be solved by a judicious use of gunfire and/or tossing someone out the nearest airlock into space. But Amos isn’t a thug, or rather, he’s not just a thug. He’s repeatedly been shown as a loyal friend and soft-hearted protector of the defenseless who would rather die then fail to keep a promise. It's all of these elements of his personality that make him among m ...more
Ashley
"To go from an unregistered birth such as his to having any power and status at all was an achievement as profound as it was invisible."

Before he was the engineer on the Rocinante, Amos Burton lived in Baltimore. A product of prostitution himself, he spent his childhood in sexual slavery, before being rescued by the woman who would essentially become his step-mother. This novella takes place about twenty years before the main events of the series, during a time when the organized crime in Baltim
Rob
May 31, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: Amos is one of my favorite characters of the Expanse novels, and it's nice to finally get his backstory.

Full Review
For someone who doesn't really like short fiction, I seem to be reading a fair amount of it recently. Of the few Expanse short stories, this is the one that was the top of my list.

I finally decided to pick it up in preparation for the next Expanse novel. I thought it was just "alright" until the last little bit. The ending really made reading this worthwhile for
Jason
Jan 01, 2016 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-2016
4 Stars

I am a huge fan of the Expanse series and decided now would be a great time to read the tiny novellas. The Churn is a fun story with a great twist. Can't say much more without spoilers but it is worth a read.

The Expanse series is one of my very favorite ongoing series today.

The Expanse is now an awesome show on Syfy and it has already been renewed for a second season.
Sanaa
Mar 30, 2016 Sanaa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
[3 Stars] I've had this novella finished for a while, but I'm just now getting around to reviewing it. I was really conflicted about my overall thoughts. There were parts of this I loved like the writing, and parts I thought were absolutely predictable and boring. I figured out what the twist was really early on, like as soon as you could even possibly put it together, and after that the book just wasn't really to my taste. It's well written, but I was often bored and organized crime stories jus ...more
Alex Ristea
I finished this novella, and then immediately read it again from the beginning. (For those of you keeping score at home, that's two read-throughs in one sitting).

There won't be any spoilers here, since I'll let the revelation dawn through your own eyes, but hot damn, that ending.

It wasn't even just the twist that made this a worthwhile read—the whole piece was well-written. We get to see Earth, which is a stagnant backwater as most affluent humans have fled to the stars. It's a bit of a darker s
Brandon
Apr 20, 2016 Brandon rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, ebook, syfy, 2016
The Churn takes us to Earth - Baltimore Maryland to be exact - to give us the backstory on The Rocinante's lovable lug, Amos Burton.

At this point I've become such a huge fan of this series that I will consume anything Corey decides to write and release. Luckily for me, The Churn is a great piece of storytelling that unfolds dramatically into a pretty brutal climax. I'm actually happy that it is it's own separate story rather than being folded into one main books as it makes the subject matter hi
Daniel
Apr 07, 2015 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesantan prikaz sveta koji je i tezak i depresivan plus dobijamo malo istorije u vezi jednog od glavnih likova. Samo to je vec cini skoro obaveznim must readom. Steta sto nema malo vise maste u smisljanju sveta posto opisno je vec vidjeno.
Efka
Apr 14, 2016 Efka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
After reading both Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War, I bitched about not having enough backstories of secondary characters, especially my personal favorite Amos. Well, can't be grumbling about it anymore. This ain't a fantastic short story, but it certainly offers a good insight into who is Amos and what's his story.
Dale Pearl
Jan 13, 2016 Dale Pearl rated it liked it
A decent piece. I would say that this feels more like a writers back story than anything actually intended for fans of the Expanse universe. I probably should have held off on reading this one until after the second or third book but I am reading them in the authors order an this is supposed to take place before book 2.

The Churn is the back streets and alleyways of the earth city Baltimore. This very short story goes into the daily life of street thugs. Interesting glimpse into the underworld el
aPriL does feral sometimes
'The Churn' is a short 'Expanse' series novella describing the backstory of one of the science fiction characters in the series, Amos Burton. Burton is a psychopath, or something like, as well as a member of the crew of the Mars battleship 'Rocinante'.

There has been a lot of things going on the fictional future universe of 'The Expanse' series, which is up to book five so far as I write this little review, but if you really want to see if you, gentle reader, might like this exciting operatic sc
Aaron

Amos Burton was a tall, stocky, pale-skinned man with an amiable smile, an unpleasant past, and a talent for cheerful violence.

This novella, published after Abaddon's Gate but set years before Leviathan's Wake, describes an event from the tragic past of one of my favorite characters from the series. The twist the story almost immediately begins revealing is quite a hook after seeing Amos in action for four books so far. The prose this time is solemn, sad, and probably some of the best of the ent
Antonio Diaz
Con la idea de repetir el exitoso experimento de Promise of Blood, he decidido leer Leviathan Wakes, pero con todo el material previo publicado antes.

The Churn es la primera de dos novellas que sirven de precuela y, me imagino, de presentación de personajes para Leviathan Wakes y la saga de The Expanse.

En esta novella, Timmy, es un joven musculoso y de mirada vacía que realiza trabajos de matón y chico para todo para uno de los jefes criminales más importantes de Baltimore: Amos Burton.

El estilo
Matt
Nov 13, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
WOW. So good. If you are a fan of the Expanse series then don't miss this. Great backstory.
Scott
Apr 18, 2016 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Nice little origin story from our favorite Rocinante bad ass.
Jim C
Nov 26, 2015 Jim C rated it really liked it
This is a novella and is a prequel to the novel The Expanse. I strongly suggest reading that book first before reading this novella. This novella is about one of the characters we meet in the first book. This character has recently been hired by a local mob family and fails his first trial with them. He has one more chance to prove his worthiness. Even though this takes place in a science fiction series I would say this is more of an organized crime story.

I was going to give this a three star ra
Leslie
Sep 27, 2014 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, sci-fi
Great background story about the criminal underground of Baltimore where birthplace and youthful stomping grounds of our beloved Amos Burton. This is probably the best of the Expanse novellas that I have thus far read. (novella? novelette? short story? whatever). I must admit that I was a wondering just how Amos was any part of this story...but you'll see. You'll see. :)
Katherine
Jan 27, 2016 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favourite novella. It captured everything I love about this series – the grit, the noir, the simmering rage, and the quietly beautiful moments amongst the destruction. Set on Earth, some time before the events of Leviathan Wakes, which the TV show is based on, it tells Amos Burton’s backstory, and takes him from being a rather dull thuggish character on the show to one of the most fascinating characters in the series. It’s a story of high-stakes gangland violence, and to say anything ...more
Genesee Rickel
Jan 16, 2016 Genesee Rickel rated it really liked it
Joseph
Sep 04, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it
Of all the Expanse novellas, this is probably the most crucial. And beyond that, I say nothing because I was genuinely surprised by the final revelation and I don't want to spoil anything.
Casey Hampton
Oct 27, 2014 Casey Hampton rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
While this does provide character background, I'm left wondering if not knowing would have been preferable to knowing. It's not a bad story, and I don't discount its appeal, but it's left dangling in an awkward position of either revealing too much, or not enough. I hesitate to say this, but I almost wish I hadn't read this now. I think I might have appreciated this story more if I had waited for the entire series to run its course, and then backtrack to pick this up. My grouse is that now readi ...more
Alex Sarll
One of the most harrowing details of The Wire was how, as bad as life for Baltimore's unwanted seemed at the start of the series, by the end it was so much worse. Now, take that process by which Stanfield and Partlow replace Barksdale and Bell, and push it a few centuries into the future - while the authorities continue to divorce themselves from the life on the street, policing becomes ever less community-minded, and the environment decays. That poor bastard city is where this takes place. Core ...more
Gareth Nicholls
May 14, 2014 Gareth Nicholls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amos Burton. If ever there was a character that had more to him then it was Amos and here we get to see how his grim past started out back in Baltimore. This was a very enjoyable read, short but to the point and sheds some light on what life is like back on Earth if you’re living on less than basic and how Amos became the fiercely loyal and brutal friend that we see in the Expanse Series.

Well worth the small investment and it also comes with a nice little surprise at the end to keep the appetit
poiboy
Mar 07, 2016 poiboy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Expanse series prequel book. But unlike Drive (which I thought was a wasted opportunity), this novella was well crafted. The story of the solid and faithful Amos Burton is told prior to his life with the characters in Leviathan Wakes. And it was told well.. with sadness, passion and plain truth of existing in a sad place like future poverty/crime stricken Baltimore. If you like the Expanse series, read this.

My next sentence is a bit of a spoiler... so read no further if you have not read
Timothy Neesam
May 06, 2014 Timothy Neesam rated it really liked it
Great novella featuring one of the main characters of the James S.A. Corey Expanse space opera series. No spoilers. Set in the overpopulated, underemployed, dangerous city of Baltimore, the book explores how Amos ended up working in space. Great atmosphere, strong characters, the book is more of a character sketch than anything else. This is the first of the Expanse novellas I've read. It's short, but good.
John
Dec 10, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Origin outtake for an Expanse character. The SF trappings seem just laid on here--it's really a "mean streets" coming of age story that could be set in the past or present as well with just a little fiddling. But the violence isn't gratuitious and the moral message is laid on with a light hand.
MadProfessah
Jul 02, 2015 MadProfessah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Churn gives us important back story on Amos Burton

This was an interesting foray into the world of The Expanse. We not only find out more about Amos, but also more about life on Earth in the time period in which the books are set.
Periklis
Feb 18, 2016 Periklis rated it it was amazing
Socially relevant Science Fiction, set against a "gangster" backdrop. Can't wait to delve deeper into the expanse series...
Stacy Taylor
Mar 20, 2016 Stacy Taylor rated it it was amazing
Amos Burton has quickly become one of my favorite characters of all time.
Dara
Nov 05, 2015 Dara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick review: This is the best of the Expanse novellas so far (I have one more to read). This story focuses on a young man named Timmy and his life in crime-riddled Baltimore. Not too much is expanded on in the Expanse universe but the characters here are fleshed out quite nicely.
  • Edge of Infinity
  • A Problem of Proportion (The Human Division, #11)
  • Sword & Laser Anthology
  • Lucky Thirteen (Frontlines, #2.1)
  • Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch, #2)

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (Expanse, #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (Expanse, #6)
  • Untitled (Expanse, #7)
  • Untitled (Expanse, #8)
  • Untitled (Expanse, #9)

“Outside, the city glowed, the violence and bustle made calm and beautiful by even such a small distance. The wail of the sirens and angry blat of the security alerts became a kind of music there, transformed by the mystical act of passing above waves.” 0 likes