Start by marking “JJ Virgin's Sugar Impact Diet: Drop 7 Hidden Sugars, Lose Up to 10 Pounds in Just 2 Weeks” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  423 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
From New York Times bestselling author of THE VIRGIN DIET comes a groundbreaking program that will revolutionize the way readers think about sugar and help you drop fat fast--up to 10 pounds in just two weeks!
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
If you're eating healthy, but just can't seem to lose weight, you're not alone. Sugar is the single biggest needle mover when it comes to yo
Published November 4th 2014 by Grand Central Life & Style

To ask other readers questions about JJ Virgin's Sugar Impact Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JJ Virgin's Sugar Impact Diet

oleeleeo
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I won this as a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a sucker for healthy living books; maybe a little bit of that is my hopeful 'reading creates healthy by osmosis'. I've perhaps read more of these (and absorbed more information) than I realized because I knew most of the things presented in this book. Ketchup tastes so great because yes- it has tons of sugar! Sugar hides in so many things we eat (oh, delicious bagels..)

In terms of a starter book for anyone earnest about giv
Joani Edens
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Good message for people who are concerned about sugar and who think "added sugar" is the only thing they need to manage. Also good for people who don't realize the negative impact of sweeteners - including some natural ones.

I won't be following the diet or most of the recipes, though.

My biggest turn off is the featured use of protein powder, which she happens to sell, for meal replacements, while touting "real, whole food."

I also dislike the lack of precise language and seeming contradictions
Beyond the Pages
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
JJ Virgin's Sugar Impact Diet book was good. It was filled with helpful information, meal plans, recipes, and fitness suggestions. While being thoroughly comprehensive, it was also fairly repetitive. With that said, however, I must say that I liked the ongoing reminder that sugar is bad and that we should beware of both the very evident and the super sneaky sources of where it is found.

I appreciated that Virgin took the time to present how sugar impacts the body's systems. The influence of how
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it provides a systemic way to eliminating sugar, through three clearly-defined phases. The tools inside the book are a useful path of stepping stones to creating a life without sugar - from 7 foods to swap to a long list of delicious low-sugar impact recipes, this is a fantastic all-in-one plan to braking the sugar trap.

In a nation that's facing the highest obesity rates of all time - and the reality that our children will (for the first time ever) live shorter lives t
Sandra
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. I read the book first, now I will get started on the plan. I don't have any weight problem but my husband does. He is very addicted to sugar, so I was reading it to help him. I learned that there are many sneaky ways that sugar get in you, even if you thought that you were eating healthy. JJ has an easy to follow plan to slowly move you from high sugar impact to low sugar impact. It doesn't take something away without giving something to replace it with. JJ gives you a lot of hel ...more
Judy Heinrich
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent information, easy to read.
Beth
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This diet has helped me so much with feeling better and avoiding sugar crashes. I had ditched added sugars and starches years ago, but continued to have low points throughout the day. The secret was the fructose in fruit: I was having too much! My only problem with the book is that sometimes the information isn't organized as well as it should be, or the details are missing in certain places. I've overcome that by rereading and using post it flags to mark the sections I refer to the most. I like ...more
Rachel DuBois
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've noticed a lot of positive reviews of this book but very few people who have actually DONE the diet. My husband and I are in the middle of Week 2 and thought I'd share our experience so far.

I did the Virgin Diet almost a year ago and lost 50 pounds as a result, and have managed to keep it off. That programme was fantastically helpful and I recommend it for everyone. Sugar Impact Diet is also very good, but much harder to implement. The recipes are complicated and require expensive ingredien

Sirene Jolie
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because Dave Asprey from Bullet Proof Executive endorsed it on his website. I went into it knowing more or less what Ms.Virgin was going to say. Sugar in its many forms is not a healthful food/substance. What I didn't realize is how many places sugar can hide. It really opened up my eyes to just how much sugar is stuffed into everything. It also afforded me more technical information. I learned how sugar affects hormones controlling fat storage and hunger signals.

Overall,
Laura Kilby
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful explanation of the effects and impact sugar has on the body.

A wonderful explanation of the effects and impact sugar has on the body.. I thoroughly enjoyed her humor and wit. She was very understandable, made sense.
Apryl Anderson
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: what-s-cookin
I've yet to resemble Ms. Virgin in any shape or size, but the gospel she's preaching is right on the money: That sugar's the devil! Not her, of course, she's an advocate of life. I'm talking about my life-long relationship with sweet stuff. It's killing me! It was literally, but now it's figurative (and I mean that literally, considering how much better my figure looks without it). Seriously though, it's like an obsessive ex who's not willing to see you happy without him. The western world is so ...more
Y
Has good information for those who don't know much beyond "sugar is bad for metabolism", but mostly yet another too complicated diet that most people will likely have troubles even starting.

Also, be wary of any diet book author that lets you know you can treat yourself to 100% cacao dark chocolate like it's akin to winning a trip to Disneyland. They no longer have any concept of what the average American feels is possible to do on the path to weight loss, leading to the "not even gonna try" atti
Charissa
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Lots of enlightening stuff regarding sugar's harmful effects on the body. I don't agree with all of the suggestions Virgin gives, but I still found a lot of take-aways in this book to improve my health and the health of my family.
Amy Lambert
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Glenda
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good stuff in here with background on how and why sugar is to detrimental to your body, and how it sneaks into everything.

I don't have a lot of the problems that are the cycle 1 "swaps" but you aren't supposed to jump to cycle 2... so I'm pessimistic about losing "10 lbs in 2 weeks".

What didn't like in this book - the multiple references to "resources" online (which you have to give your email to access, so fine) that ended up being just a JJ Virgin store. Or I can't find the references..
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

JJ Virgin's Sugar Impact Diet is an ideal "catch all" diet and health book. Most of the current knowledge we have about dieting and health is in here in brief form - leaky gut, hormones, low fat/low carb debunking, etc. The tone is friendly, the plan very easy to follow, and the recipes aren't too exotic or take heavy preparation. The best aspect of the book is that it doesn't feel like another narrow focus fad. Despite
Tracy
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've known for years that I'm addicted to sugar and that it is a huge contribution to my weight issues. This book helped me understand that not only is sugar causing me to keep gaining weight but also that it is harming my body and is the root cause of most of my medical conditions. Now, that I know all this information it is up to me to follow the recommendations in the JJ Virgin's Sugar Impact Diet book.

The book has a step-by-step approach to move you through the program using three phases/cyc
Julia
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Husband and I have been on Slow Carb for over a year now, and, as with many things, diet fatigue has set in. Husband decided that this might be something good for us to try, so I read it with the purpose of understanding what we will be following. I will update this review once we have actually been on the SI diet.

This book reminded me a lot of the Whole 30 "It Starts With Food" which annoyed me. The overly casual tone while clearly selling products reminds me a lot of an Amway presentation or a
Carolyn Amundson
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The basic premise is to cut back on foods with a high sugar impact (which is pretty much anything with a high glycemic load (GL)). For one week, you replace the high GL food with medium GLs. Think sweet potatoes instead of bread. For two weeks, you only eat low GL foods. That means no fruit, either.

There are tons and tons of lists to describe what's good and what's not. Some of the explanations are a little weird. The discussion of how the typical balsamic vinegar on the grocery store shelf has
Tanya
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy JJ Virgin's shows/speeches, she is sassy. She presents interesting ideas in this book - looking at Glycemic Load instead of Glycemic Index for a better understanding of the impact of the food. And she presents a very well-worded scientific discussion of how fructose is dealt with in our body. As well as a good/in-depth discussion of artificial sweeteners. I also like that she is a proponent of a slow transition from sugar-burner to fat-burner, with decreasing your sugar in take in ...more
Barbara
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I am somewhat addicted to diet books, as I am always hoping to find out something new or different in each one. We all know that sugar is bad for us, especially if you are on a weight loss journey or have related health issues. Anyhow, I found the information on hidden sugars not too surprising, but to give up soy on this diet was a little much for me. I really don't know if I could do so, even though soy has been linked to impaired thyroid function, etc. She recommends taking a vegan protein po ...more
Marla
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway winner.

I try to eat whole foods as much as possible and as little processed foods as possible. This book opened my eyes to where sugar is hidden. I have been using agava nectar in my tea but now I'm going to try monk fruit. I'm hoping by adjusting my food consumption to lower my sugar intake it will shrink my stomach more. Of course pre-menopause doesn't help with the stomach either.

If you are looking for a book that could help you with losing weight
Rebecca
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookery, diet
I received a free copy of this book through a GoodReads giveaway.

The author does a good job of explaining the impact of sugar, and clearly defines the rational behind her diet strategy. However, she references her previous book numerous times, making it clear that the diet outlined in this book is really part 2 of a diet plan--and that you will need to purchase the other book to get the full plan.

The diet in this book is designed to take off those stubborn pounds that weren't lost through the f

Diane Bixler
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Life changing if your not afraid of the truth. As a diabetic it has dramatically reduced my blood sugar and stopped cravings in their tracks. I have even reduced my medication.
Jai
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book had some good information in it, but it was so over diluted with repetitive and unnecessary words. I was able to skip whole pages without missing anything, simply because the author spends most of her sentences either trying to get you pumped on the program, to convince you to keep reading, and constantly repeating herself over and over.....and over again.
This book could have easily been a third of the size, and I felt that the authors writing style wasted way too much time. That bein
Kelly Clevinger Bernard
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
**Book received as part of the the GoodReads Giveaway program.**

JJ Virgin's book was a fast read with sensible advice, easy to follow three-step plan and lots of recipes. I felt the book was a little longer than it needed to be (and a little repetitive) for the information provided. Not a fan of the whole protein powder spiel but other than that I was pleased overall and have begun to implement the plan outlined with immediate results.
Lindsay
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting and eye opening, but a bit extreme for me to adopt as a lifestyle. It kind of left me feeling defeated like what CAN I eat?! She gives swaps and recommendations but many I've never heard of and have no idea where to buy them. Unless you have a Whole Foods in your back yard I think this would be hard to adopt long term.
Bridget Hewitson
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: health, audio
The information in the book is valuable but painfully repetitive. I do not like repetitive information; it may help someone but puts me off completely. I forced myself to read on, despite the repetition, as I wanted to glean all the sugar info and advice. Had the book been non repetitive, I would have read it again.
  • The Healthy Gluten-Free Life: 200 Delicious Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free and Egg-Free Recipes!
  • Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes
  • The Doctor's Diet Cookbook: Tasty Meals for a Lifetime of Vibrant Health and Weight Loss Maintenance
  • The Appetite Solution: Lose Weight Effortlessly and Never Be Hungry Again
  • The New Low-Carb Diet Cookbook
  • Natalia Rose's Detox Guide to Youth Regeneration: Achieving Timeless Beauty
  • The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet: Activate Your Body's Natural Ability to Burn Fat and Lose Weight Fast
  • The Reboot with Joe Juice Diet: Lose Weight, Get Healthy and Feel Amazing
  • The Paleo Kid 26 Easy Recipes That Will Transform Your Family
  • Make Your Own Rules Diet
  • A Modern Way to Eat: Over 200 Satisfying, Everyday Vegetarian Recipes (That Will Make You Feel Amazing)
  • Running with Nature: Stepping Into the Life You Were Meant to Live
  • The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet
  • Fine Cooking Cakes & Cupcakes: 100 Best Ever Recipes
  • The Juice Diet: * Lose Weight * Detox * Tone Up * Stay Slim & Healthy
  • The Diet Trap Solution: Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good
  • The China Study Quick & Easy Cookbook: Cook Once, Eat All Week with Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes
  • Down Size: 12 Truths for Turning Pants-Splitting Frustration into Pants-Fitting Success