Start by marking “Blue Labyrinth (Pendergast, #14)” as Want to Read:
Blue Labyrinth (Pendergast, #14)

Blue Labyrinth

(Pendergast #14)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  21,777 ratings  ·  1,584 reviews
Special Agent Pendergast-one of the most original, compelling characters in all of contemporary fiction-returns in Preston and Child's new exhilarating novel Blue Labyrinth.

A long-buried family secret has come back to haunt Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast...

It begins with murder. One of Pendergast's most implacable, most feared enemies is found on his doorstep, dead. Pen
Published November 11th 2014 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blue Labyrinth, please sign up.
Mark Horner You could read it as a stand alone, however the story is so much more richer if you take the time to read the series in order.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Frank
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  21,777 ratings  ·  1,584 reviews

Start your review of Blue Labyrinth (Pendergast, #14)
Matthew
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 to 4.5 stars, but going with 4 on this . . . . and here is why!

Sometimes you have to suspend your disbelief a bit when reading action thrillers. With Preston and Child, they try and make the unbelievable more believable. However, there have been a few books where the suspension of disbelief has to be dialed up a notch to get through to the end. Blue Labyrinth is one of those. Not that this has to be a bad thing, it just is such an obvious contrast to their other books that it makes it feel som
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
The book starts off with a bang! The murdered corpse of an enemy shows up on the doorstep to Agent Aloysius Pendergast's home and later on during the autopsy a turquoise is found in the stomach of the deceased. This stone will lead Pendergast on a hunt to find the killer of his enemy and this killer is out for revenge that will put Pendergast life in danger!

It's action from the start, just the way I like it. It's great to read another excellent book by Preston & Child about Agent Pendergast. I d
Ginger
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, buddy-read
Another crazy and action packed book in the Pendergast series!
Preston & Child just keeps throwing out new subject matter in this series and it's always well done and researched.

Blue Labyrinth starts off with a huge spoiler AND I can't mention it at all.

In fact, there is not much that I can mention about this plot since it affects so many previous books in the series.
If you are looking for a fun, action packed and exciting series to read, look no further then the Pendergast series!

If you can susp
Bob/Sally
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With their 14th entry in the Special Agent Pendergast saga, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child not only get their hero back to his prime, but they get the story back to basics. Blue Labyrinth is an extraordinarily strong entry in the series, and exactly what fans have been asking for, especially after last year's White Fire, in which Pendergast was just a supporting character.

It's impossible to write a typical review of this without getting into serious spoiler territory, so I thought I'd do some
Sean Gibson
Mar 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
If you’ve ever had top-shelf tequila—Cabo Wabo, Don Julio, Patron—you know it can be a smooth spirit that you can sit, sip, and relax with, or that can transform an ordinary margarita into a transcendent experience.

Blue Labyrinth is not top-shelf tequila. It’s more like…Montezuma Tequila.

Two decades ago, I worked in the commercial publishing industry in Manhattan. Two obvious but relevant facts: 1) living in Manhattan is kind of expensive; and 2) entry-level publishing gigs do NOT pay well.

On
Diane S ☔
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pendergrass is an FBI agent, who has many complaints against him, but far more successes. He has a very strange and complicated family history. He is, in my opinion, one of the most interesting and original characters in this genre.

I was glad to see him once again dealing with a case that takes him back to his own family and glad to see Constance playing a significant role. Although anything in this series is more interesting than most, I have to admit I am glad the whole Helen trilogy of books,
Chad
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite Pendergast book, but a solid read nonetheless. There's not nearly enough detective work in this book. It's just Pendergast stumbling around in the dark and being helpless. Constance gets a chance to take center stage at the end of the book though and is great. ...more
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
2.5 stars. For me personally, BLUE LABYRINTH is definitely the Preston & Child book where the Pendergast series started to go down hill. The authors simply aren't developing their characters much anymore, and story situations are becoming too absurd. Pendergast seems more arrogant and less appealing than ever before. The development of Constance is really a sad disappointment. Perhaps this series has finally run out of gas. :( ...more
Kimberly
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another addition to the Pendergast line-up!

I have to admit that there were several scenes/subplots that just didn't sit very well with me; however, the last 1/3 of the book was so good that it almost made up for those "that-character-would-never-have-done-that" moments. In previous books, I found the character of Constance to be "unnecessary". In BLUE LABYRINTH, she actually played a pertinent role and made for a much more believable personality, in my humble opinion.

This book brings back severa
Sue
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This latest in the exciting Pendergast series begins in a mysterious way with the dumping of the body of Pendergast's son, Alban on the agent's door step. From there it is a fast and furious across country and nations journey to find who killed this young man and why. There are ties to the history of the Pendergast family and money, ties in the distant past.

As always, the pace is fast and, happily, along the way Pendergast is joined by past cohorts and companions Constance Greene, Lt. Vincent D
kartik narayanan
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Blue Labyrinth left me feeling unsatisfied. It starts off well but then it meanders all over the place.
For some reason, Margo Green makes an appearance and is now an ethnobotanist because you know - plot. Alban magically reverses 15 years of brainwashing. And Constance suddenly becomes talented at spec ops. There is one intriguing new character who is introduced but he is promptly killed off. WTF! Preston & Child have literally lost the plot here.

Anyway, for a while I thought this book was a hom
Mark
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of brilliant thrillers
After a serious lesson about online retailers interested in your money and not in earning it, it taught me that while Online a book might be cheaper when it comes to really delivering you best go to a real bookstore. And at the end of the day I still ended up with a 1st edition of this novel. Next time I just might go for a signed version.

The novel starts with a rather unexpected twist, Pendergast evil twin son turns up at his doorstep. And he is mighty dead. While Pendergast ponders the questio
Juli
The Pendergast series is one of my favorites. The mix of strange, mysterious characters and plots, plus police investigation and supernatural events just ticks most of my I-love-to-read-this boxes.

When I first started the audio book for Blue Labyrinth, I did not remember reading this book before. But as I got further into the story, I started to remember a few plot points. Luckily, I didn't remember any major spoilers and enjoyed the story a second time.

The action starts immediately and doesn'
Stefan
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In a single word, WOW. This is the 14th book in the Pendergast series and this time the dynamic duo of Preston and Child really outdid themselves. I have to admit that I didn't get as much enjoyment out of the Helen trilogy as I did the Diogenes trilogy, but Blue Labyrinth more than made up for it. I actually think this one tops my favorite, The Cabinet of Curiosities. Fans of Constance Greene will really enjoy this one as she takes center stage in much of the action.

It was interesting to see Pe
Shaina
Rtc ... one of the best so far.
Edit: It has come ... my review!
So, as all readers of this series goes forward, it gets harder and harder to review them with no spoilers, right?!
Well, what I can say, is;
This was one of the most interesting to me because it hits our favorite agent very close to heart and home. It also gives us the very definition of irony. You hate the irony it gives and yet like me you might be glad about it at the same time. You’ll see.
I also felt catharsis in many areas of
Stewart Tame
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'll confess that I love the Preston & Child books too much to rate them objectively. They write some of the best thrillers in the business, and are the standard by which I judge all other such books. And Blue Labyrinth is among the best they've written. Yes, this is a series book, and, yes, some things in previous books will be spoiled if you read it first. But don't let that put you off, because this book is one hell of a ride. Rarely does Pendergast face off against a foe this deadly or deter ...more
Emma
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Wow! Constance in action! Unexpected..lots of action. Very enjoyable.
Steven
Preston & Child are at it again! This wild ride was a globetrotting adventure, with characters making trips to Brazil, Switzerland, California's Salton Sea, Upstate New York, Louisiana... these people were busy!

Someone unexpected shows up on Pendergast's doorstep. That's not unusual, right? But here's the kicker -- this person is dead! Pendergast follows the breadcrumbs and gets himself in over his head. Very un-Pendergasty of him, no?

Meanwhile, a murder case at the museum leaves our brave Vince
Skip
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A great return for FBI Special Agent AXP Pendergast. His sociopath son, Alban, shows up as a corpse at the Riverside Drive mansion, with the only clue being a rare piece of turquoise in his stomach, luring Pendergast to a shuttered Salton Sea resort, where he is dosed with a deadly poison gas. Meanwhile, NY Detective Vincent D'Agosta is assigned to solve the murder of a Museum of Natural History employee, who was helping a visiting scholar. Of course, the two cases become linked, and there is a ...more
ash c
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Equally compelling as the large majority of the rest of the series. This has been my guilty pleasure, and a great resource for learning how to write well, since I started picking up adult thrillers when I was 14 (a decade ago!) I couldn't put it down and I devoured it in a few days.

I may be getting a bit tired of the overused and cheap tropes - the whole good and evil twin story (there's always twins! always!), silent, unassuming lady killer, yada yada - but I can't deny that I do love Penderga
Julie
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Overall, the writing was good and included delightful descriptions. However, the second half felt rushed, or jumbled together. Indeed, the way the plot ended felt stitched together haphazardly. Additionally, the epilogue lacked authenticity, and my daughter and I were left feeling somewhat dissatisfied, and as if we had missed something.
fleurette
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Well, this book is still not as good as the first few books in this series but it is unquestionably much better than White Fire which I found pretty boring.

Pendergast finds his evil son’s dead body on his threshold. Despite the lack of deep feelings regarding this death, he is determinated to find the killer. The whole case becomes more and more connected to the Pendergast family’s dark past.

The good thing about the book is that we spend so much time with some well-known characters – D’Agosta a
TS Chan
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned goes the usual phrase. Judging from this book, I'd think it is more appropriate to say that hell hath no fury like a woman bent on saving the one she loves most.

"Your fatal mistake was believing you had - and please forgive the crudeness of today's vernacular - a bigger pair of balls."

What a thrilling ride this book has been. This was one which I couldn't even mention a single thing without spoilers. And for once, even the synopsis of the book was
Jun 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
I can't for the life of me understand all these 4 and 5 star reviews! This book was quite a drag! And badly written: much too much detail given during an achingly slow investigation... Pendergast is seriously boring, mind-numbingly so.

However, if you love FBI agents capable of ridiculously super-human feats (e.g. putting oneself into a transe to be able to watch an event taking place in the past), and wooden undeveloped characters, then you'll probably love this book.

I don't, so I didn't.
Kylie H
Mar 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is book 14 in this series and it still has plenty of momentum.
In this instalment Pendergast is haunted by the actions of his great-great grandfather. An alchemist who sold an elixir that was supposed to heal but caused a slow, painful death and which was then passed on to future generations.
As usual the book delves in some of the paranormal, the bizarre and the macabre. Never a dull moment.
Looking forward to book 15 ☺
Gina
Apr 20, 2021 rated it liked it
Whilst this installment was entertaining and highly readable, it wasn't my favourite. I found the plot to be a little on the mundane side compared to previous adventures. Here's hoping I love the nest one more :) ...more
itchy
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic
no firearms knowledge? no problem

greene and green team up, kick ass--horrifically

p135: as he took a seat beside margo, d'agosta loosened his tie and unbuttoned the top button of his shirt.

p178: as he passed a small, grimy upholstery store, a dented and scarred toyota hilux four-door pickup stopped in front of him with a screech. it was barely narrower than the alleyway itself and effectively blocked his progress. while the driver stayed behind the wheel, three young men in khaki pants and bright
Shawn Deal
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Agent Pendergast is back again and someone is trying to kill him and it is all his great grandfathers fault. This is the latest plot line of one of the most consistent series being written. In this 14th book of the series, we find a very humble Pendergast, run down by his previous adventures, just coming back to the world. One of the most intriguing characters in thie genre we find more about Agent Pendergasts family and family fortune in this novel. Any time we get to see the Pendergast Family ...more
Lou
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Father and son estranged.
Death literally comes knocking on Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast's door.
Sins of fathers and Ancestors take you into a vortex of intrigue, mystery, and adventure.
Pendergast has two sons, twins, opposite of each other in behaviour, one in particular has great importance in this tale.
This is another chapter in the adventures and thrills that ruminate around Pendergast brought to you by two capable authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln child.
A thriller than one can read wit
Tifa
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Like all Preston and Child novels, there are some parts I really, really like, and there are the other parts I really, really don't. At least I didn't give myself a headache rolling my eyes as much as I have in their past few novels. (And I believe I only counted one reference to a "violet-eyed woman" which was a huge relief.) I'm still stumped over why they included parts of the subplot, and again, some of their characters do completely out-of-character things to the extreme. Overall ...more
Horror Aficionados : Blue Labyrinth - Preston/Child 244 39 Jan 01, 2019 08:53PM
Pendergast Task F...: Blue Labyrinth 10 136 Aug 17, 2015 04:06PM
Book Giveaways: Blue Labyrinth by Preston & Childs (Pendergast #14) GIVEAWAY 3 21 Nov 01, 2014 08:03PM

• The Third Gate (Jeremy Logan, #3)
  • Terminal Freeze (Jeremy Logan, #2)
  • Full Wolf Moon (Jeremy Logan, #5)
  • The Forgotten Room (Jeremy Logan, #4)
  • Deep Storm (Jeremy Logan, #1)
  • White Fire (Pendergast): by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child -- Analysis
  • The Elephant Tree
  • Blue Labyrinth: by Preston & Child (Pendergast Series, Book 14) | Summary & Analysis
  • Child of God
  • Betrayal of Faith (Zachary Blake Legal Thriller #1)
  • The Room
  • The Zombie Room
  • Crimson Shore: by Douglas Preston | Pendergast Series Book 15 | Summary & Analysis
  • The Drowned World
  • The Scrolls of Destiny (The Last Templars Book 3)
  • Bleak Harbor (Bleak Harbor #1)
  • Aprikoosiyöt
  • Ainoa kotini
See top shelves…
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more

Pendergast (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Relic (Pendergast, #1)
  • Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast #3, Nora Kelly #0.5)
  • Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)
  • Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)
  • The Wheel of Darkness (Pendergast, #8)
  • Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)
  • Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)