Start by marking “Hope to Die (Alex Cross, #22)” as Want to Read:
Hope to Die (Alex Cross, #22)

Hope to Die

(Alex Cross #22)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  22,299 ratings  ·  1,711 reviews
Detective Alex Cross is being stalked by a psychotic genius, forced to play the deadliest game of his career. Cross's family – his loving wife Bree, the wise and lively Nana Mama, and his precious children--have been ripped away. Terrified and desperate, Cross must give this mad man what he wants if he has any chance of saving the most important people in his life. The ...more
Published November 24th 2014 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Hope to Die, please sign up.
Rick As others have said, these books are all part of a series and it is best to read them in order. I started the series in 1998 with Along Came a Spider…moreAs others have said, these books are all part of a series and it is best to read them in order. I started the series in 1998 with Along Came a Spider and my wife buys me the latest one each year for Christmas. Great quick reads and a good progression of his cases, his family and his life overall.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Simon I though that he went back to pilot the boat as what he had said about needing to be steered through this part of the route was confirmed by Mulch.…moreI though that he went back to pilot the boat as what he had said about needing to be steered through this part of the route was confirmed by Mulch. You could then assume that once he was there he was easily taken by the authorities when they arrived(less)

·  22,299 ratings  ·  1,711 reviews

Start your review of Hope to Die (Alex Cross, #22)
Melanie Johnson
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if James Patterson hung up his golf pants at the Palm Beach Country Club or if he finally decided he's had too much sun/surf/pina colada's or what, but apparently he locked himself in a cave and wrote a dang good book. It was fantastic. I felt like I was reading ALONG CAME A SPIDER again and was reminded why I buy Every.Single.Book. of Patterson's like a crack addict waiting for my next fix. It's because I was waiting on a book reminiscent of his old writing - you know, before he ...more
Phrynne
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's nothing like a book by James Patterson for an exciting, fast, fun read. Just don't try and take them seriously because they do not stand up to analysis! But gosh they are entertaining.
This one is a particularly good example as Alex Cross pits himself against an evil mass murderer who has kidnapped his whole family and threatens to return them one at a time - dead. Alex is remarkably smooth considering the potential for loss, and the murderer demonstrates a talent for the gory and
Miriam Smith
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rachel
"Hope To Die" by James Patterson is the twenty second book in the famous Alex Cross series and for me definitely one of the better ones.
The last few I've read have focused a lot on Alex's family and they became a little tedious but this one was like the earlier books in the series where Alex is chasing the bad guy and it's a race against time. Entertaining, fast paced and with easy to follow quick chapters, I'd happily recommend "Hope to Die" and I'm really pleased to see Alex return to full
Sheri
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read Alex Cross from the beginning and it's time to end this series. How many times can a man's family be in serious peril and he STILL won't retire? Always the same story: his poor 90-something year old grandma, his children, and current partner all in the hands of various madmen and it's that same story over and over. I am bored!
Mike French
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex Cross is BACK! I was very disappointed with the ending is "Cross My Heart",but "Hope To Die" is a 5 star book from start to finish. Many of GR friends agreed with me on "Cross My Heart" and I think you will agree with me again. "Hope To Die" is a MUST READ!!!
Amanda Patterson
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hope to Die is the continuation of Cross My Heart, which also received 1/5 from me. I said I wouldn't read this book, but I did. It was there in my book review box and I wanted to see if Alex Cross could make amends.
Thierry Mulch has kidnapped Cross's family and asks Cross to kill people in order to save them. What happens next is too ridiculous to describe. Bad plotting, ridiculous premises, and thin characters fall through this sieve of a book.
I wish I hadn't read it.
Donald Grant
Dec 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
So how many books does an author get to write before editors ignore their work and just put it out there? Obviously, James Patterson hit that number a long time ago.

I have read all of the Alex Cross books. I used to read the Women’s Murder Club books until they became writing by formula. I refuse to read the books co-authored by him after the first one, they are terrible. Now I ask myself, am I going to give up on Alex Cross?

Hope to Die is the continuation of Cross My Heart, which was atrocious.
Brenda
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The psychotic and evil Thierry Mulch had kidnapped Detective Alex Cross’ entire family – his beautiful wife Bree, Nana Mama and the children, Damon, Jannie and Ali had all been taken from Cross. He was distraught, terrified and also bewildered as he tried to ascertain the reason behind it all. With his entire squad behind him, working the case with feverish speed; the FBI and every law enforcement agency getting into the act; still Cross felt helpless.

But then circumstances changed – bodies
Kathy
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
ENOUGH~! I am tired of reading about the horrors of Alex Cross's mental torture concerning his family. There should not be a threat of harm to this family in any future books about Alex Cross. As a reader, I have suffered enough with this man and his family. Patterson needs to move on to other crimes in the D.C. area. Having purchased ALL of the Alex Cross books, I can tell you that I will NOT buy anymore that deal with harm to this family. ENOUGH~!
✨Susan✨
I have not read many of the Alex Cross novels but James Patterson has such a fluidity to his writing that It did not feel like I was reading a book late in a series.

Dr. Cross's whole family has been kidnapped by someone with no demands, which adds to the difficulty of figuring out why this person has specifically targeted him. He is personally attached to the case so he must automatically remove himself as an active investigator, this in turn makes it more difficult for him to find his family.
Quantum Thief - Spooky Ink Bandit Girl
dear god I hope this is not the last book :/ Anyway I am dying to get my hands on this :)
Suzanne
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought I would have to go change into black clothing during a large part of this book. This was an insane reading experience because of the attachment to the characters since it is over twenty books into the series. This one was action packed throughout and leaves readers on the edge wondering how the plot was going to play out.

My quick and simple overall: one of the best books in the Alex Cross series hands down!
Gary
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 22nd book in the Alex Cross series by James Patterson. Having read and enjoyed his books from the start of his career I have been very dissatisfied in recent years as the Patterson book factory has released book after book concentrating on quantity rather than quality with a varying level of authors talent.
This book however was more like the old James Patterson with thrills spills, good characters told in the usual style of short punchy chapters.
Maybe the difference is this one was written
Monnie
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark this day on the calendar, folks: It's the first time in a while that I've given a James Patterson book 5 stars. His series featuring Detective Alex Cross is one of my favorites, to be sure - partly, I think, because he writes these books all on his own as opposed to "share-cropping" with co-writers with varying degrees of success.

This rating also comes after reading, and being quite annoyed with, the previous book in the series, Cross My Heart. It was good, but the cliffhanger of an ending,
Jon Kurtz
Hope to Die is the sequel to Cross My Heart. It represents the 22nd installment in the wildly successful Alex Cross series by James Patterson. With that in mind, I called up my review of book 21, which I read in 2014. It seems to apply in this instance as well. To summarize: I love Patterson's machine gun writing style, but find the premise of the Alex Cross series tired and unrealistic, i.e. a cunning criminal crosses Cross, kidnapping and conceptually killing Cross' kin. Convoluted? Not ...more
Cameron Mitchell
Jan 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Was I the only one who was hoping the villain would succeed? I decided to read this book out of the hope that one of the Cross family members would die, that being the only imaginable way to create any meaningful change in the character and the series. I dared hope that maybe James Patterson has finally come to his senses and will attempt to elevate this newest story above the usual manufactured crap? Perhaps?

But, alas, I find myself disappointed.

House Cross finds itself back at square one, the
Marianne
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hope To Die is the 22nd book in the popular Alex Cross series by prolific American author, James Patterson. It follows on directly from the cliff-hanger that ended Cross My Heart, so cannot really be read without reading that book first. Thierry Mulch has kidnapped and supposedly killed all the members of Alex Cross’s family. But Ava, the runaway Nana Mama took in, gives Alex hope that all is not lost.

Before they can even start searching for where the five might be held, though, another blow
Lawrence
This is the BEST Alex Cross book that I've read from this series. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book to all James Patterson fans. It will keep you guessing until the end. Enjoy the ride!
Sojourner
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
After a numbing fall to the depths of disappointment with Cross My Heart (Alex Cross), the 21st installment in the Alex Cross series, bestselling author James Patterson returns with his most famous character in a sizzling sequel which will restore the confidence of the faithful in his skill as a master-storyteller, and earn him many more new fans. With his reputation as the world's most popular thriller writer at stake, Hope to Die is a high-risk gamble which will either bury the fiasco that was ...more
Greg
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 22nd Alex Cross novel by James Patterson and I must say it is an absolute joy to read. The first part of the story forms a well-written rehash of the traumatic but gripping events from book one that transpired concerning the Cross Family as well as simultaneously revealing new information concerning the killer/s, and every new drop adds tension and depth to the story. As is by now almost trademarked by Mr Patterson, every chapter ends with a clever hook which makes it virtually ...more
Matt
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Patterson returns to his earliest, and longest running, series to tie off the many loose ends from CROSS MY HEART. Giving brief summaries for the reader, the story picks up where last we left Cross, in a state of despair. His family kidnapped, a killer on the loose, and execution-style photos in his possession. He will do anything he can to find them; follow any lead. While Cross goes outside his normal practice and barters with the killer, the reader sees the true desperation in Cross's life. ...more
Skip
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
Hope to Die picks up where Cross My Heart ended (I only got the title tie-in now), with Alex Cross falling apart because his family has been kidnapped. Then some mutilated bodies are found with their possessions, nearly pushing Alex over the edge. Ava returns to help, and a Baltimore detective jumps in too. Some excellent supportng characters: Atticus Jones and his daughter. Between John Sampson, his FBI friends, his tenacity and Ava's creativity, Alex is able to discover the identity of the man ...more
Yvonne Scott
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was scared to start this, after the ending of Cross My Heart. I really loved this book. A few anxious moments and I love the 'fear' factor. Great read.
Maryann Bosah
A gripping story that you do not want to put down till you get to the end. A great follow up to Cross My heart
Milo (BOK)
The Review Can Also Be Found Here: https://thefictionalhangoutsite.wordp...

I’ve been reading the Alex Cross series for a while now, and as it happens, have only missed five out of twenty two at least going what I can remember registering on Goodreads, including the latest Cross Justice. The others are Violets Are Blue, Four Blind Mice, The Big Bad Wolf, London Bridges, so it’s safe to say that I’m a big fan of the series even if the more recent entries have been hit and miss in places.
Wendy
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY!!!

James Patterson is at the top of his game with this book. He is finally back to writing like the author that I fell in love with in the early 1980's. This is certainly different writing than any of the books that he has been co-authoring for the past few years with other authors and this book is written like he wrote it alone. I was so close to giving up on his novels and I'm happy that I didn't. If you liked the early Alex Cross series then don't miss reading this one it was way
Candy Harris
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex's family is growing up.

Another great Alex Cross book.Love the Cross family every book is a joy to read.The Cross kids have grown up before my eyes.Starting one of these books is like getting to see old friends again.What love they have for each other.Every book is full of action and suspense.Start with number one and enjoy them all,each one has it's own story.
Best Crime Books & More
It’s been nearly 10 months since I last read a Patterson Book, and 22 months since I last read an Alex Cross novel. Lately I have been a bit despondent with them although to be fair the last Alex Cross novel I read was a pretty good read. With that in mind I decided to fall back into Alex life, which with a Patterson novel is usually pretty effortless. Thankfully James Patterson demonstrates just how easy he finds it as I was plunged straight back into Alex Cross world and the one thing ...more
Anne
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been anxiously awaiting "Hope to Die" since I finished "Cross My Heart" last year and it was worth the wait. (By the way, I am not one of the people who was disappointed with the ending to "Cross My Heart." I just wanted Mr. Patterson to write faster!) This book starts where the other left off -- Alex Cross's family is missing and presumed dead.

It's hard to give a synopsis without giving away too much of the story, but I can say that the Cross's foster daughter Ava returns and plays a
Tom Tischler
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is going to be a little different from my usual
rambling in that I know that Alex Cross has a huge fan club
and I don't want to spoil it for anyone. This is book 22 in
the Alex Cross series and Iv'e read them all. This is one of
the best yet. A psychotic genius has kidnapped Alex Cross's entire
family and he is now going to force Alex to do whatever he
wants to save his family. Not knowing where they are or even
if they are still alive is driving Alex insane and forcing him to
do
Just finished. Did you like this one? 5 18 Sep 26, 2016 01:23PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Hope to Die by James Patterson 1 8 Feb 24, 2015 08:29AM
The Nooks of Books: Hope to Die 1 6 Dec 19, 2014 08:37AM

• JAMES PATTERSON’S ALEX CROSS SERIES READING ORDER WITH CHECKLIST: ALEX CROSS SERIES READING ORDER LIST WITH SPECIAL ADDED MATERIAL - UPDATED IN 2017 (Ultimate Reading List)
  • The people versus Alex Cross
  • Hope to Die: by James Patterson (Alex Cross Book 22) | Summary & Analysis
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books

Alex Cross (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3)
  • Cat and Mouse (Alex Cross, #4)
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)
  • Roses are Red (Alex Cross, #6)
  • Violets Are Blue (Alex Cross, #7)
  • Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross, #8)
  • The Big Bad Wolf  (Alex Cross, #9)
  • London Bridges (Alex Cross, #10)
“Ruger in his waistband. Then he switched the .357 to his” 0 likes