Start by marking “The Art of Gothic: Music + Fashion + Alt Culture” as Want to Read:
The Art of Gothic: Music + Fashion + Alt Culture

The Art of Gothic: Music + Fashion + Alt Culture

The gothic look head-to-toe black attire and extreme makeup has been a popular one since the 1980s, with each generation reinterpreting this dark aesthetic as its own. From the staccato postpunk of Siouxsie and the Banshees and the dark rock of the Sisters of Mercy through to the industrial metal of Marilyn Manson and the funereal emotional pop of My Chemical Romance, goth ...more
Published November 11th 2014 by Backbeat Books (first published October 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Gothic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Gothic

Susannah
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a secret fan of Goth, I enjoyed this overview of the look and the movement. There are seven chapters, each covering a different aspect of Goth culture: Classic Goth, Dark Fantasy, Futuristic, Sinister, Dark Japanese Style, Melodrama, Modern Gothic.
Apparently Goth has its origins in the post punk music scene in the early 80s, with bands such as Sisters of Mercy and The Cure. So a lot of coverage is given in the book to the inspiration, and artists, behind a lot of Goth band's artwork. Althoug
Nina Misson
Well researched, nicely written and most of all extensively illustrated.
Traci
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous photos, quite a bit of information about the Goth movement and all its various subsets. Starting skimming by the end of the book, though, as it gave info on a lot of stuff I'm not familiar with, such as the Japanese lolita trend. Also talked a lot about steampunk, which I'm not a huge fan of.
Oh well.

Still worth picking up, flipping through.
Metalpig
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice visual history of the goth (and affiliated) subcultures. The photo and graphic selections seemed thoughtful and representative. I also found the commentary informative. Divided by subgenre/era including post-punk, industrial, steampunk, and visual kei. Lots of inspiration!
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Quality and unique insights and research on the goth aesthetic. The Art of Gothic paints a beautiful picture; piecing together the puzzle of a captivating aesthetic in a masterful way. Read my full review in the Dec/Jan 14/15 Issue of Auxiliary Magazine.
Tina
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brilliantly informative. Being in the lifestyle since I was 9yrs old, I was surprised at how little I know about this sub-culture, until I read this book.
A.J. Blakemont
Chelsea Lovelace
Apr 25, 2016
Sajaanaa Smith
Feb 19, 2015
Author, broadcaster, DJ and music journalist, Natasha Scharf has written for UK magazines including Prog, Metal Hammer, Classic Rock and Terrorizer as well as appeared on national television and co-produced a documentary for BBC Radio 1. She was also the founding editor of meltdown, the UK's biggest-selling magazine for goths.

Natasha's first book 'Worldwide Gothic' was published by Independent Mus