Start by marking “The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Living with BPD” as Want to Read:

If you or someone you love is struggling with borderline personality disorder (BPD), you need up-to-date, accurate, and accessible information on the problems you’re facing and where you can turn for help. But where do you look? Much of the professional literature on BPD is too technical and confusing to be of much help. And searching the Internet for accurate information ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by New Harbinger Publications (first published January 12th 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide

Start your review of The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Living with BPD
TJ
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Surprisingly good and useful for a self-help book and seemed to be way more compassionate than all the other books on BPD at the library. This one made sure to stress that you're not a manipulate awful person to be avoided at all costs if you have BPD, while a lot of other books seem to kind of (subtly or not so subtly) work through that as a given framework.

But shit got weird went the authors tried to approach suicide and they actually at multiple points, really bizarrely used 'no one really kn
Josiah
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, health
Written by two of the experts at the forefront of research on BPD, this book is written for the average person who has questions about Borderline Personality Disorder.

Contents: What is BPD? BPD: Is what they say really true? What causes BPD? Will I have BPD forever? The course of BPD. Problems that often go along with BPD. Suicidal behavior and deliberate self-harm. How do I find help for BPD? Dialectical behavior therapy. Mentalization-based treatment. Dealing with suicidal thoughts. Coping wi
May Ling
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Summary: It's oriented more toward BPD people who cause self-harm or have truly self-destructive behaviors. There are other books that address the full spectrum. Still, there are some helpful tips enough that I would throw it in the mix if you're dealing with a BPD person.

Read this on hoopla and don't quite have my settings correct for page numbers. Here they are:
225 pages left - "The powerful emotions and sensitivity of people with BPD can be exciting and intense. People with BPD can be dramati
theodora
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found out about BPD years ago, so there was a lot of familiar information here, but I wish someone had given me this when I was diagnosed. It's written with a very understanding voice, and succinctly covers a lot of important areas at once. Only real criticism is the usual US-centricism, when it comes to getting help.
Elizabeth Gamble
Compassionate and neutral. They didn’t villianize bpd. Some of this info is probably old but I appreciated getting some information and learning a bit more.
Soph
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I would recommend this mainly for the first half of the book, which is a clear and informative overview of BPD. Since I received my diagnosis last year I have read a lot online about the condition, but this book was the first to talk in more detail about the symptom of anger and how it is often internalised by people who fear and avoid conflict. Very helpful to have that validated!

I found the second half the book less helpful, personally. I have no interest in medication treatments again so I ju
Emma
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent guide about living with BPD, although not all the advice is spectacular and this book can sometimes feel a bit "guilt-trippy" in the way it tries to convince you why certain BPD behaviours are bad. "Don't kill yourself or you might go to hell for eternity" is not really the best advice!

I'd just stick to the first half which does a good job explaining what BPD is, but there are much better books out there on how to cope and manage symptoms.
Tara Calaby
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bpd, psychology
This is the best book providing an overview of BPD that I've read so far. It's mostly aimed toward people who actually have BPD, but I think it would be a really good read for their loved ones as well. Completely empathetic and fact based, and focussed on giving people with BPD hope for their future. Excellent.
Joyce
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bpd-books
This book explained BPD and even explained a bit about Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), the treatment of choice for Borderline Personality Disorder. It's the treatment that helped me recover. I like how, included in each chapter, were examples of what it's like living with BPD. There are even some great exercises to try to help you cope with your emotions.
Jenny Demonic
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A very broad and generic overview, but enormously beneficial for those not well-versed in the lingo and new to the world of BPD.
That said, some of the examples became so simple it was like being talked down to. Other examples seemed to fold back in on themselves until they became overdrawn and forgetful.
Putting the weakness aside, this was still a very helpful starting point.
Leonor Costa
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Centred around those who are struggling with this illness, rather their loved ones. Used respectful language. Found the last chapters less captivating but otherwise an interesting reading.
Melissa
May 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
It was an okay book, good for people who need an overview. I found the parts about DBT and Marsha Linehan especially helpful. :)
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Of all the books I've read since my BPD diagnosis, by far the most helpful. Much, much better than "I Hate You, Don't Leave Me" for me.
Kassie
Real rating 4.5 stars.

This was a very informative book. It made a point to talk about how bpd is an illness, and the person who has it is not at fault just for having it. It also did a great job on explaining why people become suicidal and why the term “cry for attention” is a bad term. Beyond that, it did a good job explaining why bpd could come into being.

I wish I’d had this book several years ago. I think it would have been a good resource to have when I was still unsure of my symptoms. As
Artemis
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book just lacks something.. perhaps a sympathetic feel?
I have to admit, after reading Gabor Mate's books, it is a bit hard to read medicinal/psychological titles which doesn't allow me to connect to the subject on a more deeper level. Gabor Mate just seems to hit the truth but, at the same time present it in a remarkably un-hostile way
Anita
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
i read this book to fulfil the goal read a book written by two authors. i have read better guides as far as explaining what borderline personality is. however this book is the first one that included stratagies for getting better that went beyond traditional therapy or medication. a little heavy on suside prevention, but considering the target audience may be appropriate.
Stephanie
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Incredibly simplified (too much so for clinicians or students) but seemingly would make an excellent guide for newly diagnosed patients.
Annika Seitz
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helpful for clinicians who treat clients with this disorder, as well! Much less stigmatizing than “I Hate You, Don’t Leave Me.”
Amanda McKellar
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A comprehensive look at a highly stigmatized disorder that helps to break the stigma.
Andrea
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this book for my daughter who has BPD but I thought it would be good if I read it first. After reading it I feel comfortable giving it to her and hopeful that she might find it helpful.
C
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I want to give this 2.5 stars, mainly because it did not paint borderline patients as manipulative assholes, but the most helpful self-help book, in my opinion, is Linehan's Skills Training.
Gerard
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth a look but not quite what I expected.
Carla
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I think this was a good self-help book to help me better understand BPD. My only issue was the chapters on treatment dragged on and didn't really teach me anything I didn't already know.
N
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
An insightful and informative guide that provides helpful coping strategies.
Basma
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This is my first intro into BDP and for that I thought this book provided me with new information but it still felt sort of lacking. I wanted more.
Collette Baker
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some of the book was general information you get in most BPD books. But the material was not triggering or shameful of someone with BPD as some books are. The information on what "manipulation" and "alien self" was appreciated.
JR Hassett
Overcoming BPD is “learning how to manage your emotions”. The book is full of wonderful insights and information on how we learn and what we didn’t learn if we have BPD. Not only are there ideas on how to accept your emotions, but how to learn to understand what you are thinking, feeling and wanting.

For the families, friends, and loved ones of those with Borderline Personality Disorder the book helps identify areas that we can help. Yet it also points out that ultimately, it is up to the patient
Ajae Corbett
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Simply stated, I highly recommend this book!!

This book is by far the best informative source regarding Borderline Personality Disorder I have ever read to date. Granted there are probably more recent texts which cover this topic. However, this is the best one I have read thus far!

In one very quick statement the book's subject can best be summed up in this manner. Description of BPD that is easy to understand. What are the causes and symptoms? How do you find help?

This book is easy to read and un
Linda
This is a very good book on Borderline Personality Disorder. It would be a helpful read for anyone from someone who believes they may have BPD, someone newly diagnosed, or someone who has a loved one with BPD symptoms. I especially liked the section on Mentalization-Based Treatment since most books I have read did not mention it more than briefly. The breakdown of what to expect from both DBT and MBT was also wonderful as I was not familiar with more than a brief description of each form of ther ...more
Kirsten
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't read every single part of every chapter. I didn't read every single chapter, either. I only read the parts that were relevant to me and my symptoms. Overall, it was very informative and I feel like I have a better understanding of my disorder. It was refreshing to read something that had so much knowledge compared to everything else. When I was diagnosed, the psychiatrist just told me and didn't offer any information at all. I felt overwhelmed so I'm glad I got this book from the librar ...more

• I Hate You, Don't Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality
  • Sometimes I Act Crazy: Living with Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Buddha and the Borderline: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder through Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Buddhism, and Online Dating
  • Mindfulness for Borderline Personality Disorder: Relieve Your Suffering Using the Core Skill of Dialectical Behavior Therapy
  • Loud in the House of Myself: Memoir of a Strange Girl
  • The Borderline Personality Disorder Workbook: An Integrative Program to Understand and Manage Your BPD
  • The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, and Distress Tolerance
  • DBT Skills Training: Manual
  • Loving Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder: How to Keep Out-of-Control Emotions from Destroying Your Relationship
  • DBT Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets
  • Girl in Need of a Tourniquet: Memoir of a Borderline Personality
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert Resume Book: Eat Pray Love Ebook Summary, Quotes From Eat Pray Love, Liz Gilbert, Eat Love Pray, Eat Pray Love Book, Elizabeth Gilbert Husband (Resume Books)
  • What You Can Change and What You Can't: The Complete Guide to Successful Self-Improvement
  • Cox
  • Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness
  • The Paper Bracelet