Start by marking “Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)” as Want to Read:
Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)

Half-Off Ragnarok

(InCryptid #3)

When Alex Price agreed to go to Ohio to oversee a basilisk breeding program and assist in the recovery of his psychic cousin, he didn't expect people to start dropping dead. But bodies are cropping up at the zoo where he works, and his girlfriend—Shelby Tanner, an Australian zoologist with a fondness for big cats—is starting to get suspicious.

Worse yet, the bodies have all
Published March 4th 2014 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Half-Off Ragnarok, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half-Off Ragnarok

Choko
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.55 ***

Another Wednesday, another UF buddy read with the Fae and Weird creature nerds at BB&B!

-------------------------------------------------------

Just as good if not better the second time around!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

So, I was very, very excited to get started with this book, since in the first two of the series I fell in love with Verity, Dominique, cousin Sarah, and most importantly, the Aeslin Cult of Mice!!! Long live the talking critters!!! A
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I'm not going to lie, I was initially put off by the POV shift from Verity to her brother Alex. Verity is the quintessential urban fantasy heroine that I've come to know and love, and if it isn't Verity, I'd be much happier if it was Antimony (my favorite roller derby goddess, thank you freebie short stories available on McGuire's website).

But Alex?

Alex like snakes, disparaging his sisters, and not much else as far as I can tell.

Booooooo.

*snickers*

Meet Alex:

“You
Robin (Bridge Four)
HAIL! Welcome to the celebration of the defeat of the petrifying one and the introduction of a future priestess to the Gods of Scales and Silence. Gather round as honorary acolyte Robin of Bridge Four recites the tale.

The God of Scales and Silence was summoned by the Elder Heartless One to Ohio to help heal the Younger Heartless One after she heroically saved the Aboreal Priestess from capture by the Covenant. Luckily there was also a zoo in need of our God’s services and a secret program to mat
Bradley
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am I a bad man for liking Alex Price better than Verity? I hope not. I just like how nerdy and reptilian he is next to his sister who just happens to have a slight and glancing blow in this novel.

We're off and away from NYC and dab in the heart of Ohio, where the basilisks roam and revenant grandfathers give you dour looks. I think I love Alex's dry commentary and the greater exploration of Sarah and the rest of the Price family more than the previous volumes, too.

Is this a turning point? If so
Steven
Thanks, Seanan, for swapping Price perspectives and giving us a little time with a different family member. Thank you for taking that chance, and completely nailing the execution. I should have believed you knew what you were doing -- you've literally never let me down before, so why didn't I have faith? *I'd make a bad Aeslin mouse.*

Anywho, it was awesome getting to see a different piece of the Incryptid world with a (mostly) new cast of Price/Healy/Baker/Zellaby family members. I really liked
carol.
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of light UF

Remember that period in college (and in some cases, post-college) when you were convinced Cinnamon Toast Crunch was an acceptable substitute for any meal? You know how you managed that, right? By not thinking about the fact you were basically eating vitamin-enriched pellets, and concentrating on that sugary, cinnamony crunch.

Half-Off Ragnorok is like that.

Half-Off explores the world of Alex, one of the human members of the Price family. Alex is officially working at the Columbus Zoo as a visitin
Lois Bujold
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: contemporary-fantasy fans, biology fans

I liked this one best of the series so far, in part because I prefer Ohio to New York City, and biology to ballroom dancing, interesting in an alien sort of way as the latter two are. I was also quite charmed by our biologist-hero Alex (because, biology!) Or anyway, magical biology, which was a stitch, pretty much. The primary female lead was a sort of female Steve Irwin (and also biologist!) Her kick-ass approach to life reminded me not a little of some Australian women I have known.

I was look
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
Okay, I thought book 1 & 2 were better but it still deserves 5 stars! This series is fantastic <3
Angela
I was a little bummed when I realized that I was going to be leaving Verity's point-of-view, which we'd spent the last 2 books being immersed in. And I did miss Verity a bit in this one, but I can easily say that Alex has created a spot in my favorite-character list all his own.

I'm not sure if it was missing Verity, or other issues, but this book gets off to a bit of a slow start.I think it's a little of that, and a little of getting used to the new character. One of the things I appreciate most
Emma
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This was good! I wasn't sure about this series after the first book, then the second book I enjoyed more and with this one I. Decided I prefer Alex to Verity. Now however I am annoyed because, having decided to buy the next one straight away, I find that the fourth in the series isn't available on kindle in the UK. Why on earth not?!
Oh! And I want a church griffin!
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
"Meh"is the only word I could use to describe whatever this was. I was bored the whole time and was wondering if this is even the same series. Alex was dull, Dee had no personality whatsoever, Shelby was like a sledgehammer to my brain and the cryptid community wasn't that veried. I guess grandparents were alright but they weren't in it that much so I really couldn't say. I'm kind of upset with this turn of events so I'll switch to something else for now.

Over and out
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
After two very entertaining InCryptid books with Verity Price and her Covenant boyfriend Dominic, we now join her older brother Alex in Ohio. I had my doubts about McGuire’s decision to leave Verity and change narrators in the third book, but Alex proved to be a very entertaining, albeit completely different protagonist.

Alex joined his grandparents in Ohio to help his cousin Sarah and oversee the breeding of two basilisks (that sounds much dirtier than it actually is), but he certainly got more
☕️Kimberly
I have to say I am impressed. Not only did McGuire change locations, taking us from Manhatten to Ohio, she also gave us a new POV, that of Alex Price, Verity's brother. I was worried about the change of POV. It isn't something one traditionally sees in urban fantasy, but damn if she didn't pull it off. I love how fresh this series is, and the paranormal "cryptid" creatures are living amongst humans.

Alex lives with his (non-related) grandparents, as they take care of his cousin Sarah (again non-
Ferdy
Spoilers

I enjoyed the first two books in the series, this one not so much. The main issue I had was the extremely tedious main character, there was nothing remotely engaging about him. I really wish the author had stuck with Verity's character, she was a far more endearing narrator.

-The beginning was rather slow, boring, and info-dumpy… Actually most of it was.

-The plot wasn't gripping, it was the run of the mill 'ooh something/someone is killing people and we must find out who/what it is and s
Half-Off Ragnarok steps away from Verity and gives her older brother Alex a chance to shine. I would have been nervous about the change in narrator for the next few books but after reading a lot of the free short stories on Seanan McGuire's website I've really enjoyed getting to know lots of different members of the Price family so I was looking forward to the switch up.

Alex is very different to his sister, where she's confident and outgoing Alex is more of a nerd, he has friends but his circle
Wanda
Hail! Cheese and cake for all!

Half Off Ragnarok is another delightful installment of the Price family series, cryptid investigators and protectors par excellence. This third book follows Alexander Price, Verity’s brother, in his studies of reptiles, both regular and cryptid. I appreciated the accuracy of the reptile information and of Alex’s location at a zoo, an environment that I am familiar with.

The excellent Aeslin mice are still present, although we are obviously dealing with Alex’s branch
Ina
4 stars

I can honestly tell you I didn't expect there to be different main character in the third book of the series. I usually read books that have one MC throughout the whole series, so the sudden change was kind of unexpected, but surprisingly, it was quite a pleasant surprise. It took me a while to get used to Alex, but it seems like all Price children are easily likable (we haven't met Antimony yet, but let's hope she will be as fun as the other two) and Alex was more mature than Verity, whi
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews!

Seanan McGuire is one of my favorite authors and her InCryptid novels are turning into one of my favorite series. In Half-Off Ragnarok, the narrator of the previous two books, Verity Price, takes a break and her brother Alex takes over the storytelling. While I didn't find Alex and his girlfriend, Shelby, to be quite as interesting as Verity and her boyfriend, Dominic, I did truly enjoy the story and always love learning more about the Ba
Hallie
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really expected to love this one, and am a bit baffled as well as disappointed that I didn't. Part - or, really, a lot - of it was down to Shelby, Alex's sort-of, maybe-he's-blown-it, can-he-have-a-girlfriend? girlfriend. I got to the point where her repeated "I had venomous snakes as teething toys in Australia was just super-irritating, and it didn't say much for the relationship that she kept telling Alex about it. I also found it incredibly convenient that she just happened to be who she wa ...more
Negine
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Behold the next InCryptid cover! In which we meet and follow in the adventures of Alex Price and his group of Aeslin mice, Hail! :)
Beth
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This third book in the InCryptid series has a new point of view character, Verity's brother Alex. He's in Columbus, Ohio, staying with his grandparents (and Sarah, who is recovering from events in the previous book) and fronting as a reptile researcher at the West Columbus Zoo, his primary goal being to research basilisk breeding levels in the area. He's got an indefinite relationship going with Dr. Shelby Tanner, a researcher from Australia who is working with the zoo's big cats.

Of course, thi
Wendi Lee
Half-Off Ragnarok is the third book in the InCryptid series. The first two books follow Verity Price as she protects Manhattan from the Convenant. This one features her older brother, Alex, who works at the Columbus Zoo while carrying on with his own cryptid research. At first I was resistant to the idea of new characters in a new location, but I immediately warmed up to Alex, his unique grandparents, and his love interest, Shelby. Oh, and cousin Sarah is here too, a recurring character from the ...more
Alice
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I was not compensated in any way for my review.

Can we just clone Seanan McGuire? Please? Because I want more InCryptid. I also want more October Daye. And sequels to Indexing . And more Mira Grant tales of science gone wrong. And short stories she keeps posting on her website. And I want her to be able to sleep and go to the Disney parks, because really, anyone who brings so much joy into the urban fantasy world deserves nice things
Roslyn
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started writing down my thoughts about this novel, it reminded me again of the problems I have with star ratings. I'm aware that I'm somewhat inconsistent in the way I rate books. Sometimes they reflect my objective assessment of a book while at other times, it's more a reflection of my subjective reading experience. I've given books I really enjoyed and thought objectively brilliant only 4 stars in the past and I have no idea why, really. This one should perhaps be 3 stars because of a c ...more
Marjolein
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I was quite surprised at the start of this novel as all of a sudden, there was a completely new main character! (My bad for my habit of not reading the synopsis of books before I start reading, I know but still). Alex is not completely unknown though, as he's Verity's brother and also a cryptozoologist, of course.

His focus is more on the cryptid animals and science than his sister, and it involves a lot of reptiles. Hiding his
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance fans,Urban Fantasy fans, Kim Harrison fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: previous books
Wow I really wasn't expecting a protagonist change! I love this guy, he's just to damn funny. I like how awkward he is while he blunders from one situation to the next. Like the first book with Alex's sister Verity, there is also another colony of Aislin Mice. I think that this was a brilliant idea on McGuire's part. They bring a lot of comedic relief to the series.
 photo 10891878_10152483426036326_6234829602753752857_n_zpst23uzzta.jpg
I'm really looking forward to the next book of the series. Until then...
Cheers Pretties!
Anna
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This was by far my favorite of the InCryptid series - I loved meeting Verity's biology geek brother Alex and his friends from the zoo. To be honest, I loved everything about the first two books except the two main characters. In this third book we get to switch protagonists and it works splendidly. I like Alex ( and Antimony who isn't in this book but who has a couple of InCryptid short stories to herself) much more than Verity... Also, McGuire is so good with cryptozoology and Alex's status as ...more
Megan Baxter
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It got me through a week where I was largely on trains to or from my mother, and then sitting by while she was in surgery, or in the days after, sitting by her bed while she rested. (The surgery went well, all is good.) I desperately needed something diverting at that very moment, and this book delivered that and more.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.

In the meantime, you can read
Kris Hill
This book has nothing to do with the previous two in the series aside from being set in the same universe. The POV character is now Alex Price, Verity's older brother we had never met.

Sarah is still damaged so I guess that is the most that is taken up in terms of the plot in the rest of the series.

Another rival cryptid organization sends another representative who falls for the Price.

It is disappointing after the development that happened in Midnight Blue Light Special that Seanen McGuire deci
Ivy
Loved Alex's introduction. Hope to have more adventures in this world.

• Glitter & Mayhem
  • Westward Weird
  • The Ghost Train to New Orleans (The Shambling Guides, #2)
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • The Future Falls (Gale Women, #3)
  • Dragon Justice (Paranormal Scene Investigations #4)
  • The Dragon Conspiracy (SPI Files, #2)
  • Unsympathetic Magic (Esther Diamond, #3)
  • Devil's Punch (Corine Solomon, #4)
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • Codex Born (Magic Ex Libris, #2)
  • Symbiont (Parasitology, #2)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, March 2016
  • Bloodstone (Deadtown, #3)
  • Stone Cold (Broken Magic, #2)
  • Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)
  • Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

InCryptid (9 books)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
“(Australia. The only continent designed with a difficulty rating of “ha ha fuck you no.”)” 27 likes
“ALL GLORY TO THE SCIENCE RULES OF SCIENCE!” 15 likes