Start by marking “The Salmon Princess: An Alaska Cinderella Story” as Want to Read:
The Salmon Princess: An Alaska Cinderella Story

The Salmon Princess: An Alaska Cinderella Story

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In this adaptation of the well-loved fairy tale, the father still has his head in the clouds and the stepmother is as mean as ever. But this story is set in the Last Frontier, and its details and imagery reflect Alaska's landscape and sensibility: the fairy godmother becomes an eagle spirit, the glass slipper a fisherwoman's boot. Evocative writing and colorful artwork dis ...more
Published March 9th 2004 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about The Salmon Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Salmon Princess

Melki
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure the world needed another retelling of the Cinderella story, though this one is not bad. Living in Alaska, poor Cinder can't go to the Silver Salmon Festival because she's go too many fish to clean. An eagle serves as her fairy godmother, and outfits her in the shimmery salmon-skin dress shown on the cover. I love that when she runs off at dawn, she leaves her clunky, rubber fishing boot behind. I don't suppose I'm giving away anything by saying that Cinder marries the prince, and th ...more
Bonnie Brown
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dwyer, M. (2004). The salmon princess: An Alaska Cinderella story. Seattle, Washington: Sasquatch Books. Unp. Ages 3 and up.

This charming Alaskan twist on the Cinderella story, The Salmon Princess follows the age-old tale. When a turn of events places Cinder in the grasp of a nasty stepmother, who keeps her working and cleaning fish all day, an eagle helps her go to the festival and find her happily ever after. Accompanied by full colored illustrations, this book insights the imagination and is
mary dewley
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
A modern take on the Cinderella story, but not very ambitious or interesting. I liked the idea of a Cinderella who was more independent, but Dwyer's Cinder falls under the same trappings of the Disney version in which she still longs for happy-ever-after with the prince and is the obedient daughter. I can see how this would be appealing to those that live in that region, but for other children, there is nothing to connect them with these characters or the story.
Abbie Gerig
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-lit
Genre: Traditional Literature
Grades: K-3

This was a weird book. I did not like it at all. It is supposed to be an Alaskan twist on the story of Cinderella, but it hardly follows the story line (at least not very well). However, it was neat that on every single page, there was a salmon included in the illustrations in some fashion.
Kali Hilliard
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
4-6; modern fantasy; I don’t even to know where to begin with this one. If it wasn’t for my professor providing me the opportunity to read this book I don’t think I would have ever picked it up. I am so thankful she did though! What a complete 180 from the original Cinderella story! I love how the characters are closely related to modern every day people versus loyalty.
Keri Rohr
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Salmon princess is a tradition literature book for grades 3-4. This is an Alaskan spin on the traditional Cinderella story. This book is very entertaining and was a good read. I think it is neat how well the book tied the Alaskan culture into the book.
Erin B
Julie
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Ages K-3

I...kind of liked this one. I'm still a little uncertain. I liked that it was set in Alaska as you don't read many books set in Alaska. I liked the illustrations. I liked SOME of the parts of the Cinderella retelling.

But I was really hoping it would not be a typical "ends up with a prince" ending. I liked the idea of the boy only trying to find her because she won money with her raffle tickets, but apparently he also fell madly in love with her after one night, as ya do, so they got marr
Christina Fisher
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
In this creative adaptation of the original Cinderella story, the setting is Alaska and there are several noticeable changes in the story - the glass slipper is a fisherman's boot, the fairy godmother is an eagle spirit, and scenic descriptions that readers may have never experienced in person, yet come alive in the story. The beautiful watercolor paintings really create a beautiful setting for the book. The ending and story line follow the same format as the traditional Cinderella tale, but chi ...more
Kalynda
This story started out great. It had many of those unique Alaska connections and did a great job of creating the characters and backstory. Then, when it came to the meeting of the boy, I felt it lost some of it's flow and it started to seem more like it was trying to fit the pattern than holding it's own. It still had Alaska connections, which was great, but the transitions could have been smoother...perhaps the story could have been a little longer to help with that. Having said that, I still r ...more
paperdollmom
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute retelling of Cinderella. It takes place in Alaska, and Cinderella is part of a family that fishes and smokes salmon, her job being to clean and smoke the fish. Her mother dies, her father remarries a woman with two sons. There is a Silver Salmon Festival and Sitka Slippers. it is cute, though I do wish the writer and illustrator had made Cinderella and her family Native Alaskan, instead of Cinderella being a redhead... if so, then I would have given it 5 stars.
Dolly
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining Alaskan version of the classic Cinderella story. The story has an unusual, but humorous local flavor, but the details are a bit forced to make it match up with the classic story. The illustrations are comical and overall, it's a fun book to read.

I discovered this one while shopping for souvenirs during my short stay in Anchorage.
Lea
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
An Alaskan version of the Cinderella tale with a silver salmon motif running through, still retaining the traditional rescuing prince aspect, but nice for modern children in the Pacific Northwest for whom sneaking off to the Salmon festival in a skiff may ring more familiar than a magic pumpkin carriage.
Rusty Gregory
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
"There once was a place where a girl could walk across the sea on the backs of so many wild salmon."

An interesting way to tell the story of Cinderella with an Alaskan view. Some parts of the story worked better than others.
Kristy
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Surprisingly, I rathered this complete story than the original Cinderella (probably because the prince wasn't blind and couldn't recognize her!!). Plus I'm sure anyone from Alaska must love the story set in their surroundings.
Kara
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ft-cinderella

The Cinderella story is reworked here into a very modern setting with more of a magical realism twist than out right magic and fantasy. Its very grounded in reality and has a feel of a story originally made up by a parent at bedtime, tailor made to fit exactly what the child wants to hear.
Alene
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful take on the Cinderella story where instead of a fairy god-mother, an eagle helps her out a bit, and like the original Cinderella, she works hard, but this one values it more than setting up the scene of an enslaved stepdaughter though she still is. I love how woodsy it is.
Carolynne
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Lively and energetic retelling of Cinderella. But Cinder doesn't become a salmon princess (spoiler alert!!!) until she marries the son of the King Salmon Cannery. No Lexile measure is available.
Joy Gerbode
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Delightful rendition, incorporating all the parts of nature that would be part of the Eskimo culture. A fun, different, retelling of the story that says your wishes can come true.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This was a well-written Cinderella tale, with beautiful prose and lovely illustrations. However, I just didn't like the story.
Shelley
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This one has 2 step brothers, and the eagle is the fairy godmother!
Gretchen Paulson
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Funny to read stories that Alaskans put their own spin on. :-) I can picture it well.
Heidi
Mar 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another version of Cinderella. This was not the worst one I have read. Nothing extremely special, though and since I am not a salmon fan it's not one I will add to my collection.
Emyrose8
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Funny and charming... and set in Alaska! I love the way the illustrations use perspective!
Elaine