Start by marking “How Great Leaders Think: The Art of Reframing” as Want to Read:
How Great Leaders Think: The Art of Reframing

How Great Leaders Think: The Art of Reframing

The proven model that offers powerful and elegant strategies for leaders How Great Leaders Think: the Art of Reframing uses compelling, contemporary examples to show how more complex thinking is the key to better leadership. Leaders who understand what's going on around them see what they need to do to achieve the results they want. Bolman and Deal's influential four-frame ...more
Published July 1st 2014 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about How Great Leaders Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Great Leaders Think

Start your review of How Great Leaders Think: The Art of Reframing
Ismail Elshareef
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, nonfiction
Leaders have to harness frames, or leadership lenses, to think clearly and make better decisions. These frames are:

– Structural (i.e. right design for the task at hand. Excellence in execution.)
– Human Resource (i.e. empathy, listening and respect of the humans on the team)
– Political (i.e. power balance and clout and justice)
– Symbolic (i.e. purpose, meaning and why)

Great reminder that we, as leaders, have to balance our philosophy between these four frames.
Will Burns
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’ve often complained about books that spend too much time on the theory of management and less on how it works in practice. This is the first book that gives helpful tips on actually navigating an organisation. It separates leadership strengths into 4 “frames” and looks at how these frames could apply to different scenarios. You can then take a test to ascertain your own strengths and weaknesses. It really helped me reflect on how I could change my style in different situations.
Jeremy
I discovered the idea of reframing while reading Bolman and Deal during my master's degree research. This book presents that information in an easier to grasp format. Definitely recommended for anyone in leadership, and especially for the people who live and work at the intersection of the different types. ...more
Orhun
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Büyük liderler nasıl düşünür?" İsmiyle Türkçe'ye çevrilen bu kitap, yazarlarının 4 başlıkta kategorize ettiği makro liderlik stillerini gerçek hayattan örnekleriyle birlikte açıklamakla kalmayıp, hepsinin güçlü ve zayıf yönlerini de inceliyor. Bununla da yetinmeyip, bir film karakteri gibi siyah/beyaz olmayacağınızın farkındalığıyla, kendi karmanızı bulmanıza ve nasıl geliştirebileceğinize de odaklanıyor.

Beklentilerinizden çok çok fazlasını sunan "Büyük Liderler Nasıl Düşünür" kitabının tek maj
Ashish Piplani
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Listened to its Audio book as part of a coursework. It has a few episodes from corporate america which tells us hy some leadere hit a wall while others suceed. In a nutshell, this book urges every manager to think of tough situations in Boleman's proposed four frames of HR, Structure, Political and Symbolic. A leader will naturally be good in one and two, but reframing situations will help her take a holistic approach to the problem.

Topic could be covered in one HBR article itself.
Jared Townley
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bolman and Deal write about the four different frames of leadership (structural, human resource, political, and symbolic). Through examples of popular CEOs, they expound on how using these four frames to frame and reframing impact leadership. I wish the book would have went more in depth into each of the frames instead of spending so much time explaining with examples. Nevertheless, it is a very helpful and practical way to think about how leadership involves different core areas or arenas.
Jake Chesser
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
There is a bit of fat I think could be cut from this book, but there was still good food for thought throughout.
Dimitrios
I am big fans of these research-writers. Here they apply their framing of organization structure to leadership practices. So well done.
Meg
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I only read two chapters of this, but I do really love Bolman and Deal. They write from the same framework in every book, but it's great stuff, so it doesn't get old. ...more
Kathy
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great way to learn how to think about a problem from different perspectives
lauraa
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this for my contemporary management class, was pretty good and interesting.
Bryan Doughty
Sep 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
An audio book review:

I have read a lot of business books and this one is simply not very good. It rehashes info from lots of others books, but breaks no new ground never brings it all together. I was very disappointed in this book as I had read it all before. Just read the originals
Michael
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-read
The ideas in the book were good ideas it just took a while to get to the point. The best part of the book was the interesting stories about several top businesses.
Jean
Jul 03, 2017
Josh C
Dec 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Get Your Sh*t Together: How to Stop Worrying About What You Should Do So You Can Finish What You Need to Do and Start Doing What You Want to Do (A No F*cks Given Guide)
  • The Removed
  • Stories I Only Tell My Friends
  • Didn't See That Coming: Putting Life Back Together When Your World Falls Apart
  • With the Fire on High
  • Three Women Disappear
  • Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life
  • Luster
  • Onward: How Starbucks Fought for Its Life without Losing Its Soul
  • Aquitania
  • Fitness Junkie
  • Conviction
  • How to Sell Yourself: Winning Techniques for Selling Yourself...Your Ideas...Your Message
  • Le talisman de Maxandre (Filles de Lune, #3)
  • La montagne aux sacrifices (Filles de lune, #2)
  • The Delusion of Passion: Why Millennials Struggle to Find Success