Start by marking “How Great Leaders Think: The Art of Reframing” as Want to Read:
How Great Leaders Think: The Art of Reframing

How Great Leaders Think: The Art of Reframing

The proven model that offers powerful and elegant strategies for leaders How Great Leaders Think: the Art of Reframing uses compelling, contemporary examples to show how more complex thinking is the key to better leadership. Leaders who understand what's going on around them see what they need to do to achieve the results they want. Bolman and Deal's influential four-frame ...more
Published July 1st 2014 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about How Great Leaders Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Great Leaders Think

Start your review of How Great Leaders Think: The Art of Reframing
Ismail Elshareef
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, nonfiction
Leaders have to harness frames, or leadership lenses, to think clearly and make better decisions. These frames are:

– Structural (i.e. right design for the task at hand. Excellence in execution.)
– Human Resource (i.e. empathy, listening and respect of the humans on the team)
– Political (i.e. power balance and clout and justice)
– Symbolic (i.e. purpose, meaning and why)

Great reminder that we, as leaders, have to balance our philosophy between these four frames.
Orhun
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Büyük liderler nasıl düşünür?" İsmiyle Türkçe'ye çevrilen bu kitap, yazarlarının 4 başlıkta kategorize ettiği makro liderlik stillerini gerçek hayattan örnekleriyle birlikte açıklamakla kalmayıp, hepsinin güçlü ve zayıf yönlerini de inceliyor. Bununla da yetinmeyip, bir film karakteri gibi siyah/beyaz olmayacağınızın farkındalığıyla, kendi karmanızı bulmanıza ve nasıl geliştirebileceğinize de odaklanıyor.

Beklentilerinizden çok çok fazlasını sunan "Büyük Liderler Nasıl Düşünür" kitabının tek
Ashish Piplani
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Listened to its Audio book as part of a coursework. It has a few episodes from corporate america which tells us hy some leadere hit a wall while others suceed. In a nutshell, this book urges every manager to think of tough situations in Boleman's proposed four frames of HR, Structure, Political and Symbolic. A leader will naturally be good in one and two, but reframing situations will help her take a holistic approach to the problem.

Topic could be covered in one HBR article itself.
Jake Chesser
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
There is a bit of fat I think could be cut from this book, but there was still good food for thought throughout.
Meg
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I only read two chapters of this, but I do really love Bolman and Deal. They write from the same framework in every book, but it's great stuff, so it doesn't get old.
Will Burns
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’ve often complained about books that spend too much time on the theory of management and less on how it works in practice. This is the first book that gives helpful tips on actually navigating an organisation. It separates leadership strengths into 4 “frames” and looks at how these frames could apply to different scenarios. You can then take a test to ascertain your own strengths and weaknesses. It really helped me reflect on how I could change my style in different situations.
Jeremy
I discovered the idea of reframing while reading Bolman and Deal during my master's degree research. This book presents that information in an easier to grasp format. Definitely recommended for anyone in leadership, and especially for the people who live and work at the intersection of the different types.
Bryan Doughty
Sep 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
An audio book review:

I have read a lot of business books and this one is simply not very good. It rehashes info from lots of others books, but breaks no new ground never brings it all together. I was very disappointed in this book as I had read it all before. Just read the originals
Michael
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-read
The ideas in the book were good ideas it just took a while to get to the point. The best part of the book was the interesting stories about several top businesses.
Jean
Sep 26, 2015
Nirav R. Shah
Nov 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Thriving Through Ministry Conflict
  • Francona: The Red Sox Years
  • Born to Run
  • The Leadership Triangle
  • Your Intentional Difference: One Word Changes Everything
  • Thriving through Ministry Conflict: A Parable on How Resistance Can Be Your Ally
  • The Wright Brothers
  • With the Fire on High
  • Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • Conviction
  • Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • Where Good Ideas Come from: The Natural History of Innovation
  • The Enneagram Advantage: Putting the 9 Personality Types to Work in the Office
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture