Start by marking “A Learning Experience (A Learning Experience, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Learning Experience (A Learning Experience, #1)

A Learning Experience

(A Learning Experience #1)

Earth is not alone. There is a towering civilisation out in the galaxy, far greater than anything we can imagine. But we are isolated from the galaxy ... until now.

When a bunch of interstellar scavengers approach Earth, intending to abduct a few dozen humans and sell them into slavery in the darkest, they make the mistake of picking on Steve Stuart and his friends, ex-mil
Published March 2nd 2014

To ask other readers questions about A Learning Experience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Learning Experience

Richard Plummer
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Keep your politics out of sci fi

I have purchased quite some few of the authors books end enjoyed his writing but this book get preachy about American politics and reads like a GOP propaganda manual.

Message to Chris - Just enter in your bio that I hate anything that is not White Anglo Saxon. I get it ......your conservative who lives in a society that has an artificially inflated standard of living based on colonialism. I get it as I benefit every day from being born in the U.S., however I'm not
Dan
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This might be the best of Nuttall's books that I have read. I can't think of any of his that I have enjoyed more.
Per Gunnar
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would say that this book is a bit different. It is not the usual adventure book about a bunch of humans that discover that aliens do exist, get hold of some alien tech, and boldly goes on an adventure into space. Well, it is a bit of that but it is also quite a bit a political story about breaking free from the Earth and the existing governments and creating a whole new nation.

Normally I do not like books with too much political slant in them but I have to say that I found this one rather enjo
Shannon Harry
Aug 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Left me shaking my head in wonder, how did this book get printed?

Firstly no character development at all, they are literally pop up card board cut outs.
Secondly character interaction is awful! stereotypical, b-grade dialog,
which i can normally live with, as long as i get my sci fi fix, right? well i did read it all, so guilty there, sadly the book left me feeling almost insulted? it really does treat you, like your an intellectual muppet.

quick example

I loved the part where his girlfriend gets
M. Spencer
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Learning Experience.......

A really good story, political and military science fiction... but as good as the story is, there are some very real and hard truths about the political realities in the USA. In today's world, this is a possibly very real portrait of the conditions underlying the premise of the story. Give it a shot....you'll be entertained....Plus have something to reflect on.
Jean
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a new series by Nuttall. I have become a big fan of the various Nuttall series. In this book our hero is Steve Stuart and friends who are all ex-military. An interstellar gang of scavenger abducts Stuart and friends with the goal of selling them into slavery. Stuart and his buddies take over the ship (an advanced alien ship) and instead of returning to earth decide to establish a colony on the moon. Of course, they have lots of exciting adventures in the process.

The book is well written
Dwayne Allen
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

this is one of the few books that really kept me interested. lots of action and down home thinking. I for one would love to see a sequel to this book, maybe even a series.
I would recommend this book to everyone.

Country ways of life, military thinking and space ships, what more could you ask for.

Jim
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is pure science-fiction. There isn’t much better science-fiction than what this story tells. You have aliens, advanced technology, Earth veterans/military guys, women, and a bunch of criticism of the government. What more could you ask?

This starts out with a group of military veterans, friends and their brothers out camping in Montana. The military veterans have all recently gotten out of the military for one reason or another with most not happy the way things were going. These people
Ken Selvia
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
At times it was hard to listen to such a right wing nut job, but since the premise of the story is terrific, and Nuttall is a good writer when he's not being self-indulgent, I had to power through it. There are even some times when Stuart seems to acknowledge the error of his ways, and realize he is a hypocritical tool who bases many of his beliefs on unfounded propaganda. I'm hoping the next book in the series finds us in space among the stars where Stuart will find less cause to rave about how ...more
Shelley Lyons
Jan 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
This had such great potential then ruined it with political garble. I couldn't get past the anti government rambling to try to get to what could have been a good story
Shane
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-scifi
I really like it when an author makes me think things like "what if" and "what might happen, next...". "A Learning Experience" is one of those books. Nuttall skips over some of his usually rich character development (the characters are good, just not as deeply developed as they could have been, nor as developed as Nuttall usually offers). This was an intersecting trade off, unfortunately it felt like a trade off instead of a balance between world building and characters.

One thing I am discoverin
Noktelfa
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it
There's a decent story hidden underneath all the political ranting. The author really needs to learn the difference between English and American phrasing, though. Also, since when are Conservatives the ones who are pro-science? Perhaps the author lives in a parallel universe, but in this one, Conservatives are anti-science. Also, I understand that some people want to have guns, even if most of those shouldn't, but seriously, what's with insulting people who don't own guns for not owning guns? Bu ...more
Curtis Edmonds
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Essentially a condensed, twentieth-century take on BATTLEFIELD EARTH. A scruffy tribe of aliens try to abduct a group of disaffected ex-military Montanans. The Montana troopers proceed to annihilate the aliens, steal their technology, and set up a lunar base populated by libertarian misfits, almost literally straight out of Heinlein. The strident political message is cut a good bit by showing how the technological power corrupts those who wield it, but there's still more than a surfeit of anti-g ...more
Elizabeth A. Bara-Skowronek
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting and of course readable

Christopher Nuttall never disappoints. You may not agree with him (I had also thought of Montana as the place where men are men and sheep are scared), but he is so prolific that just wait, you probably will agree with the next book. Anyway, I expected to hate this book, didn't, found myself agreeing with a lot of his protagonists' actions (even the adult sheep) and enjoyed the book. I recommend that you suspend your natural distaste and just enjoy.
William Howe
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad, just...

I don’t really mind the politics. It’s a bit heavy handed, but it’s handled well. Some of the ‘humor’ is *really* heavy handed. The kind of inside jokes that don’t read well, more a way to wink and nod as if to say,”I am on the inside.”

The plot is good. The SF tech is a bit handwavium, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. There is a decent amount of breadth to the scope, although Steve is clearly central and thus America.

The prose is clean and there were no noticeable editing
Bryan M
Feb 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
This comes across as a poor effort from the author. I haven't read any of his other work so perhaps this is an excellent effort on his part but he's just got a really low ceiling in terms of talent.

Nuttall appears to be poorly informed in terms of actual science which is unforgivable. The entire repository of human knowledge sits there, available for the perusal of anyone with time to spare. A SCIENCE fiction author should spare the time to know what they're talking about.

The characters are flat
Readerone
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nuttall might be the most prolific author in the world at the moment. Lots of fun fantasy and Military SF released in a timely fashion for very little cost. Even if I don't love every one of his books, I'm never bored.

A Learning Experience is the first of his novels I've actively disliked. It's hard to see how a lad from Edinborough can write characters that espouse far right US libertarian nonsense and it not be a satire. But he plays it so straight that I began to wonder if Nuttall himself mi
Matthew Robinson
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Terrible, just terrible. Every other line has someone complaining about the government or talking up libertarian ideals. You may be thinking I'm exaggerating, and I am a little, but Nuttall wont shut up about his political ideology. It just ends up being a painful, boring lecture on the evils of governments and the virtues of the individual.

The book is written like a libertarian's wet dream, with the protaginist being ex military and somehow better then everyone at everything, including a whole
Cathy
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is what the future probably looks like

I thought this book was awfully slow getting started and I almost didn't finish, but after reading more I kept going until the end. At first I thought Steve was a jerk and I see from reading the author's comments lots of other readers felt like me. If you really think about it he did pretty well at the end. You don't realize how many things go into setting up a new colony. The author did a good job with this book and now I plan to read the next one.
Kickarse Reviews
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a new concept

Reading this book after having read a few other moon colony /space fleet building stories, it really didn't hold anything new. And it lacked a lot of personality in the main characters. I kinda liked the concept, four ex-marines getting abducted by aliens only to free themselves and take over the spaceship...

The author could have had so much more fun with that, but instead it felt cardboardish, same old-same old.
Richard
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very fun "what if" book. There are strong influences from Heinlein which is definitely not a bad thing in my eyes. I enjoyed the exploration of what is a US Military war veteran's utopia and what concessions would have to be made when applied in reality. The characters weren't to important to me, but the interactions were interesting due to the plot and their fairly transparent motivations.

I found it enjoyable and will recommend it to my friends 4/5
Tonya
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This author is a favorite of my son. He recommended this book as a first read from the author. I really enjoyed the story and the concept of creating a society and government, almost from scratch. This is the first of a series and I plan to read more.
The author's Libertarian political stance is readily apparent. He makes several good points about the negative consequences that have occurred following well intentioned government programs.
Keith Heater
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A well thought out book, but

I don't like books with too much profanity. I spent four years in the military and did not hear the "f__" word as much in those four years as these people use it in one day. It is an uneducated way to talk. I would have given at least one more star if the language had been better.
Jay Collins
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
2.75 to 3 stars, It was okay, I liked some parts and had some small issues with others. I think I will continue with the series.
Anthony Howard
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even better the second time

I've read this book twice. it's still a good read. I'm looking forward to reading the 2nd book again too.
Meredith Barthel
Mar 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
The author constantly preaches his political beliefs. It takes away from what could have been a good story.
Warren Ward
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story!

Exciting read! First contact books always get me, but this one seems real. That makes it fun. And I love how he picks at liberalism. My kind of guy!
Tony Hinde
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, despite the overt US-centric proselytising. There's not much here that's truly original but it's well written and has good pacing.
Val
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's always a hidden jewel out there amongst the stars of books!

Large scale and fast paced galactic development. Much to ponder as I enjoyed this political and military ride.
Hermes Vasconcellos netto
Nuttall tells us a history of a group of humans that are abducted by an alien race, however the aliens choose a family of veterans from the US army and intelligence, leading to the humans quickly overpowering the aliens and taking over the ship. From there they start building a society based on the alien tech.

This is the plot of the book. However i had two big problems with this book. First, you need a huge dose of suspension of disbelief to accept how easily humans adapt to the alien technology
  • The Middle of Nowhere (April, #3)
  • The Terran Privateer (Duchy of Terra, #1)
  • Pirates Bane (The Wandering Engineer, #6)
  • Rise of the Kobani (Koban #3)
  • Star Vigilante (Vigilante Series, #1)
  • Flight of Freedom (Wings of Steele #2)
  • Omnia Online (Omnia Online #1)
  • Metal Boxes (Metal Boxes #1)
  • A Sword Into Darkness
  • The Merrimack Event (Shieldclads #1)
  • The Eaorl (The Casere, #2)
  • Fermi's War (Battlecruiser Alamo, #2)
  • Return to Haven (Empire Rising, #3)
  • No Honor in Death (Siobhan Dunmoore Book 1)

A Learning Experience (5 books)
  • Hard Lessons (A Learning Experience, #2)
  • The Black Sheep (A Learning Experience, #3)
  • The Long Road Home (A Learning Experience, #4)
  • The Long-Range War (A Learning Experience Book 5)
“The federal government hated it when people tried to move outside its sphere of control, no matter the reason.  It was incapable of leaving people alone, even if they weren't causing trouble or doing anything more than keeping themselves to themselves. ” 2 likes
“Defending the United States was important and there were few higher honours, yet ... was it worth making such a commitment when one’s political leaders were worse than the enemy?” 1 likes