Start by marking “The Darkest Part of the Forest” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Part of the Forest

The Darkest Part of the Forest

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  37,612 ratings  ·  6,001 reviews
Children can have a cruel, absolute sense of justice. Children can kill a monster and feel quite proud of themselves. A girl can look at her brother and believe they’re destined to be a knight and a bard who battle evil. She can believe she’s found the thing she’s been made for.

Hazel lives with her brother, Ben, in the strange town of Fairfold where humans and fae exist si
Published January 13th 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Part of the Forest, please sign up.
Asma
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  37,612 ratings  ·  6,001 reviews

Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
4.5 stars - Holly Black at her finest.
Seriously, how does Holly Black create such bone-chillingly wondrous books time and time again?

Hazel Evans and her brother (Ben) live in Fairfold - a town blessed (cursed?) by the fair folk. The food tastes better, the art is more beautiful and the world, far crueler.
There's a monster in our wood.
She'll get you if you're not good.
Drag you under leaves and stick
شيماء ✨
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel like my life is just a constant cycle of finally getting past the book I was obsessing about and then immediately finding another book to obsess about.

My heart is growing a lot and I want to cover this story and these characters in it. This book made me want to lie down on the forest floor for a moment or two and just breathe in and out and in and out, letting nature wash over me with dirt in my hair and dew on my skin while the sun slowly slips into the sky and the morning is slowly born
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I LOVED THE CHARACTERS in this!! If anything they were the pull that kept me coming back to this book. I also liked how weird this book got! BRING ON THE WEIRDNESS AND YOU'RE SURE TO WIN ME OVER. I do think this book missed the WOW factor and I wasn't super keen on the plot, but it was still a fun time.
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This was such a satisfying read! I started this not knowing pretty much anything about the book and I'm so glad I didn't read more into the synopsis. It was such a fun and enjoyable read.
Lola
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Down a path worn into the woods, past a stream and a hollowed-out log full of pill bugs and termites, was a glass of coffin. It rested right on the ground and in it slept a boy with horns on his head and ears as pointed as knives.

*Holly Black has written a considerable amount of books, but this is the first novel by her that I have read. Not that I was not interested in the others: I am simply always too excited by new releases. While wondering what great reads 2015 would bring us, I found thi
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”They were in love with him because he was a prince and a faerie and magical and you were supposed to love princes and faeries and magic people."

This LINE!!! It resonated so much with me when I read the book!
It describes my love for faeries in the best possible way and I can’t thank Holly Black enough for writing it down! I think this is going to be one of my favourite quotes ever. XD
And I’m convinced Holly Black and I will have a very long and prosperous relationship in the future! If all he
Emily May
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of Black's Modern Faerie series
Oh book, you make it so difficult to rate you.

The thing about Holly Black is that she writes in very different styles. Before I read White Cat, I tried the first of her Faerie books - Tithe - (really didn't get into it), and her Spiderwick Chronicles (cute kids books but not really my thing). Then I discovered the Curse Workers trilogy and holy shit awesomeness: it was great! I liked the characters, the plot, and the twists... so much good.

The Darkest Part of the Forest feels closer to her earli
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
What fun!!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Lia  (a paper pigeon)
Down a path worn into the woods, past a stream and a hollowed-out log full of pill bugs and termites, was a glass coffin. It rested right on the ground, and in it slept a boy with horns on his head and ears as pointed as knives.

First time reading Holly Black and I'm not disappointed.
I was a bit skeptical at first because I heard her writing is similar to Cassandra Clare's, who I'm not really a fan of, but I'm glad to say the rumors were only and exactly rumors, and that Holly Black could give
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This book is about evil fairies and subverting genre expectations.

// SUBVERTING TROPES AND BLENDING BINARIES

It took me a long time to figure out why, exactly, this book captivated me so much. Yes, it's definitely a solid read, but what made this a five-star-favorite-book-ever read? I think in the long run what stood out to me was how Holly Black sees the tropes of this story and avoids them. Ben and Hazel are essentially a role-reversal of typical fantasy heroes. The boy is the one in love wit
Charlotte May
4 magical faerie lore stars ⭐

"Down a path worn into the woods, past a stream and a hollowed out log full of pill bugs and termites, was a glass coffin. It rested right on the ground, and in it slept a boy with horns on his head and ears as pointed as knives."

This was my first Holly Black book and I was not disappointed!
Hazel and Ben have lived in Fairfold all their lives, and as all the residents know, they share their town with the faerie folk. They take precautions, they know the rules, don
Melanie

This was such a whimsical and beautiful story about a sleepy little down named Fairfold, who has a pact with all the faeries that if the fae leave them alone, all the tourists are free game. But why would tourists want to visit this little town nestled in the forest? Oh, because a handsome horned fae boy is asleep in an unbreakable glass casket. Some visit because they do not believe in magic, some come
C.G. Drews
This book.

OH, SWEET FAIRY BREAD, THIS BOOK WAS BEYOND FANTASTICALLY AMAZING. I expected to like it after reading The Coldest Girl in Coldtown and White Cat (which have quickly risen to my "favourite books" category. But adore it this much?! It was so beautiful, so powerful, so intriguing and fantastical and dark and bloody that...I just loved it.

description

It's a magical story about Hazel and her brother, Ben, and their love for a horned boy cursed to sleep in a glass coffin. My words (silly useless words
may ➹
I thought there would be more gay fae and I am sever(in)ely disappointed that there wasn’t

3.5 stars, RTC
Erica Ravenclaw
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
☆☆☆☆☆

No spoilers and colorful language abound! I received this ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Normally I wouldn't review an ARC this early, but honestly, I cannot help myself.

**I am bumping this because I reviewed it entirely too early. It comes out on January 13th! Also, do you ever go back and read a review and say, "what the fuck was I even trying to say" ? Then feel an overwhelming urge to rewrite the entire thing? Yeah, so a little of that too.**

Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, glbt, owned
“Hazel, Hazel, blue of eye. Kissed the boys and made them cry.”

I hereby demand to have my own horned faerie prince. Someone tell me where to find his glass casket.

This was magical (duh). I loved it from start to finish. I think we all know (and Holly does, too) that Holly Black is pretty good™ at writing anything faerie-related. She is just as fascinated with their beauty, horror and wickedness as we are. Lots of times, when I finish a book, I think to myself that I should have read it sooner. T
Heidi The Reader
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Darkest Part of the Forest is a delightful fairy tale and coming-of-age story about a girl who wants to be a knight and a boy who wants to be loved.

The fairies in the woods around Fairfold are not the playful, glitter-winged sprites of popular culture. These are dark and frighting creatures who lure unsuspecting travelers into their caves and ponds to gnaw their flesh from their bones. They sneak into the homes of Fairfold and exchange their fairy children for the human ones. They will encha
emma
2/5

oh noooo.
i'm really sorry if i'm upsetting anyone by not liking this book. if it helps, i'm upset, too.

full review @ https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...
Steysha Kravits
There’s a monster in our wood.
She’ll get you if you’re not good.
Drag you under leaves and sticks.
Punish you for all your tricks.
A nest of hair and gnawed bone.
You are never, ever coming…

Holly Black has done it again! She gives us dark, mysterious and scary story about a girl-knight, who swings a sword better than fairies, about her brother who has the gift to charm everyone with his music, and about a prince who is sleeping in a glass coffin in the middle of the forest. There are horns gro
Tatiana
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, fairy-tales, ya
I loved quite a few things about this book - the setup, the fairy lore, the whole "fairy-prince-sleeping-in-a-glass-coffin" idea. But the plot of this novel was very poor - so rushed, with everything crammed into the last third, with an underdeveloped conflict, a silly villain ((view spoiler)) and hasty romances. Black definitely had trouble plotting this story out, which was confirmed by her own "Acknowledgements" at the end of the book.
Puck
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing fantasy stand-alone about genuinely terrifying fairies, a cursed prince, and two brave siblings caught in the middle.

I’ve had my eye on this book for a long time, and I’m so glad I finally read it because The Darkest Part of the Forest was absolutely magical, creative, and so beautifully written. Holly Black’s writing style is captivating and dreamy and twisted; and although this story takes place in the real world, it feels like you are reading an old fairy-tale, which fits this boo
prag ♻
The thing about fantasy is, it's always a hit or a miss for me. TDPotF was definitely a hit - it's character driven with an enchanting setting and writing that makes everything unbelievably believable.

Once, there was a girl who found a sword in the woods.

Once, there was a girl who made a bargain with the Folk.

Once, there was a girl who'd been a knight in the service of a monster.

Once, there was a girl.

If
beth ✨
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Rating - 4.5 stars

It’s took me a while to review this just because I had no words to describe how much I enjoyed it.

This story follows two siblings called Hazel & Ben who live in a very strange town in which fae also live. Some people don’t believe they’re real, but Hazel and Ben do. They are obsessed with a beautiful prince who sleeps in a glass coffin in the middle of the woods… if that doesn’t make you want to read this…what would?

The plot/story drew me in right away and I instantly fe
Steven
Once I picked this one up, I couldn't put it down. I read almost all of it in one day. It was that entertaining. I was hooked, needing to know what was next, what was going on, where these characters would end up.

My first Holly Black book will certainly not be my last!
Carrie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black is a standalone young adult fantasy read that takes place in a world just like ours only there are fae living among the humans. Now this one is on the darker side as these fairies are not the sparkly nice kind but the dark and creepy version.

Hazel and Ben are a brother and sister who live in Fairfold, a city in which the humans live alongside the Fae. In the woods there is a glass coffin with a faerie boy that has been there for years and years that
Fables&Wren
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so much better than The Cruel Prince. Where has THIS book been this whole time? RTC

- - -

Buddy Read with Kayla and might I say that I am loving this far more than I did The Cruel Prince
Riley
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-fantasy
I enjoyed this but I definitely think I will forget about it in a couple days \_(ツ)_/ ...more
Liz
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved the writing style in this book. I want more 3rd person POV! And this is the first fairy book I've read all the way through that I've enjoyed! It was fun, but still had substance.
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
Upadate: Bumping up my rating to 3 stars. The pros and cons are pretty 50/50 for this one. I love the idea so much to appreciate it from distance, after consideration, while still being dissapointed with the execution. I've also done the math in my head: for me, the beginning was 4 stars, first half 3 stars, secondd half 2 and ending 3, which makes it 3 stars equal.

*******************************************

*2.75/5 stars*

Sigh. I wanted to like this book. No, I was sure I'd love this book. So su
Shannon
There are some nitpicky things I could bring up, (a big one being the oh-so-convenient "parental abandonment"), but I didn't feel like anything I could mention would really have impacted my total enjoyment of this book.

I actually thought that this was the first book by Black I've read, but apparently I forgot about White Cat and her graphic novel series, which I suppose isn't a good thing ...

I really want to commend Black on being able to write stand-alone young adult novels. I honestly don't ne
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
  • Fiendish
  • Kin (Tales of Beauty & Madness, #3)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
  • Except the Queen
  • Dearest (Woodcutter Sisters #3; Books of Arilland #4)
  • The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • Beastkeeper
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine, #2)
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • Prairie Fire (The Story of Owen, #2)
  • Dirty Wings (Metamorphoses, #2)
  • Love in the Time of Global Warming (Love in the Time of Global Warming, #1)
  • Chime
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in ...more
“Once, there was a girl who vowed she would save everyone in the world, but forgot herself.” 231 likes
“I need to stop fantasizing about running away to some other life and start figuring out the one I have.” 172 likes