Start by marking “Murder at the Pentagon (Capital Crimes, #11)” as Want to Read:
Murder at the Pentagon (Capital Crimes, #11)

Murder at the Pentagon (Capital Crimes #11)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  490 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
"Margaret Truman has become a first-rate mystery writer."
LOS ANGELES TIMES BOOK REVIEW
When a genius doctor is murdered and a desert madman gains the means to kill millions, Major Margit Falk, a helicopter pilot and Pentagon lawyer, is drawn into Project Safekeep--an antimissile scheme under congressional investigation. The alleged murderer has his share of secrets, but Fal
Published May 29th 1993 by Fawcett (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at the Pentagon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at the Pentagon

Dolly
This was such a strange book for me to read. I am currently assigned to the Pentagon, so the title of the book caught my eye. But the book was written before I ever joined the military, so it has a very dated feel to it. And interestingly enough, many of the controversial issues discussed in the book (homosexuals serving openly in the military and women in combat) are slowly becoming less controversial, but it has taken more than 20 years to get to this point.

I had to chuckle when I got to the
RuthG
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Margaret Truman's mysteries are always interesting to me. Having visited the D.C. area many times while growing up I can always picture the government buildings, street layouts, and other details in her novels. The mysteries are complex and this one is another example of that. I've never been inside the Pentagon although I've driven by it many times and even got lost in the parking lot once. The information on the building, how to fly a helicopter, as well as trying to figure out the mystery hel ...more
Ellen Moore
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an action-packed mystery involving a murder in the Pentagon. A female major in the Air Force is assigned to defend the young officer charged with the murder. She becomes very involved in investigating and believes in his innocence. She also discovers much more about a possible cover-up in the military. Her former law professor, Mac Smith, and his wife Annabel are minor characters in this book again. When the young defendant appears to have hanged himself, the court case is over; but Mar ...more
Laurel
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I chose Margaret Truman's book, Murder in the Pentagon because my son works at the Pentagon, and I wanted to learn more about what goes on there. I took notes as I read that pentagon book, and when I wanted clarity, I used the Internet to learn more. This mystery book was good—and the ending TOTALLY unexpected. This book was informative-- learning facts about the Pentagon and how it operates. The author makes up names for a fake staff, but the data is supposedly based on facts.
Ann
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Disappointed in this book.the main character was a Major. In the Air Force. Although she was both a pilot and an attorney , she had absolutely no common sense and acted like a teenager. Book seemed more romance novel than mystery.
Bonnie
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Good mystery. Mama gave me this book years ago. Typical government BS - nobody gets punished in the end. The rules that apply to you and me don't apply to those bozos!!!
Barbara
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that makes you wonder about "conspiracy theorys" that we hear so much about. You won't know what you really believe after you read this one.
Argum
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old student of Mac's is newly stationed at the Pentagon. While at a picnic, a big deal DARPA scientist is killed. Unfortunately for her she is selected to defend the guy accused of killing him and believes him innocent. Homosexuality, CIA, women in the military, and defense policy all mix in a heady brew of Washington politics. Mac and Annabel are big if background roles. First book I have read with not entirely new characters which was a lovely change in this confusing series. I still don't ...more
Lynn Atchley
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love truman

She writes with an insider's knowledge and keeps the story moving. It keeps me engaged without being bored with overwhelming detail.
LeAnne
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's 1992. The Gulf War/Desert Storm is still fresh in everyone's memory. Now a Middle East country (unnamed in this story) has rocked the world with a desert test of an atomic as powerful as America's first atomic test years ago. They were supposedly several years away from this achievement. Who provided the help... the materials required? That's the impetus for the rest of the story.

There are three main threads through the story:
*corruption in order to increase U.S. defense spending;
*corruptio
Bob Schmitz
Jul 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: murder-mystery
I found this book left in a tenants house along with A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush,(which was good)

This is a stupid book with a stupid plot and poor writing. Someone in these reviews said this was a good beach book. It would only be a good beach book if it were raining, cold and storming, you were alone so there was no one to talk to and for some reason you had to read and this was the only thing you could read. Actually even then it would be a waste of time compared to humming show tunes or co
Deborah Hamilton
May 29, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a fascinating read about a young lawyer who happens to be a Major in the US Air Force and her struggles with her first high profile defense case. Major Falk is sent to DC as a liaison to a new secret project within the air force. During her first week Major Falk is put to work defending a Corporal who is charged with the murder of an elite scientist. While she struggles to find the truth for this young man, she finds that doors to her future as closing ever so slowing. A great fast pace ...more
grundoon
I liked that the series regulars were in somewhat minor roles, and the protagonist was likable. The plot was one that would usually appeal as well, except that it was entirely guessable from the opening - not just the core, but virtually every move is projected, all the more if one has read the stand-alones. Sometimes the omniscient reader works; here, where that wasn't quite the intent, it just took much of any potential fun away.
Judith
A good strong main character (who happens to be a woman Pentagon lawyer and helicopter pilot), I felt that it made for a pleasant change (not that I have anything against male lead characters). An intriguing plot that moves smoothly and there is some consultation with my favourite recurring character, Mac Smith. Again, given that the author is who she is, one just can't help but wonder if her plots are not based on some actual happenings...
Marcella
Jul 15, 2016 rated it liked it
As you can see by the amount of time it took me to finish this book that it was not one of my Capital Crime mysteries. Although I will admit that, once again, the author is right on with what is happening in the world today. In fact so right on that I found the book frightening and wonder just how much government manipulation actually takes place to create the results that will influence our actions and beliefs -- probably more than I think. Scary!
Phillis
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Without giving the plot away, this turned out a little different then I thought it would. This is Truman's 11th book in her Capitol Crimes series. This was published in 1992. I have been reading each book with the thoughts of how mysteries and technology have been changing in one writers progression (1980-2008). Besides being a good mystery the character development is good . It made me want to find out who did what, why and how.
Mary Ann
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stephen Decatur said, “Our country in her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be right, but my country right or wrong.” I thought of that quote as I read this book, When a murder takes place in the Pentagon, a woman attorney is assigned to defend the man arrested for the crime. She soon discovers a cover up.
Our country is the people who work for her. And often they are wrong, very wrong.
Steve
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oct 2-016 debated between 4 and 5 stars.The hero, Margit, was a well-written character. There are two Elie Wiesel quotes that seem applicable to this story: " There are victories of the soul and spirit. Sometimes, even if you lose, you win. " " There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. "
Conni Harness
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The books are getting better & better. I liked this one because MacSmith returns. Looking ahead he's in the next one too. And the stories are getting more current so we should see more tools & technolgies coming into play.
Billrose
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Okay, but nothing great. Characters are too bland. Not enough good drama, nor twists and turns. Not enough resolution at the end. Good enough novel for a plane.

BTW, Margaret Truman-Daniel is the daughter of President Truman. She died on 30Jan2008.
Kathryn
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I chose this book because I wanted to read one of Margaret Truman's mysteries. Although I occasionally got bored with all the military details, it was a well-written book, and kept my interest. I would read more books by this author.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
When shots are fired in the Pentagon and a nuclear blast occurs in the Middle East Major Margit Falk needs help as she is newly assigned to the legal staff. She calls on law professor Mackenzie Smith for help as everything she holds dear is on the line.
Christopher Ramsay
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I was disappointed by the weak ending.
Cws
LP Tru
Cindy
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: margaret-truman
This story was slow to fire up but it bears a strong message particularily in light of what's happening in Iran. It makes you wonder what goes on behind the closed doors of our governments.
Jcwillis53 Brown
Jun 28, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: anyone
I read all of her books years ago and loved every one of them.
Therese Wiese
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I had previously read Georgetown, and liked this one even more. Gay officer accused of killing noted scientist. Fun writer.
Scoozer
Very unrealistic. She ran from Bolling AFB to the Pentagon (which is impossible) and there were planes landing on Bolling where there are no runways!
Rae
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Truman's mysteries aren't the best, but her settings are lots of fun. This one has to do with a cover-up at the Pentagon.
Linda
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
This was a good story but had a lot of characters and a complex plot, so you really had to pay attention.
  • Monument to Murder (Capital Crimes, #25)
  • Murder in the Lincoln Bedroom (Eleanor Roosevelt, #19)
  • Vineyard Shadows (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #12)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • A Spider on the Stairs (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries, #4)
  • Evil, Inc.
  • Death By Design (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1-3)
  • The Cat Who Went Bananas (Cat Who... #27)
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...

Capital Crimes (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Murder in Georgetown (Capital Crimes, #7)
  • Murder in the CIA (Capital Crimes, #8)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)