Start by marking “Abigail” as Want to Read:

Lois T. Henderson

Abigail

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Paperback, Large Print, 284 pages
Published March 1st 1988 by Christian Large Print (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Abigail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abigail

Guna
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abigail is the little-mentioned wife of King David. This is her story from her childhood - it amplifies our understanding, does not conflict with the biblical story.
Chloe
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful insight into what it was like to live during King David's lifetime.
Leah Good
Abigail is a young teenager in Hebron. Her love for the fields and making songs do not fit a woman in her culture, but her shepherd father finds ways to allow her both pleasures. Abigail savors her time in the wilderness pastures with their sheep because she knows her time at home is rushing to an end. She is betrothed to a man much older than herself--a man her father didn't realize was a drunk until the betrothal could not be undone.

Soon before she leaves Hebron to join the household of Nabal,
Anne Marie
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, a work of fiction, tells a story of the biblical Abigail, wife of David, who becomes King of Israel. I read the first book of Samuel from the Bible first, which helped set the story and gave me a good background as to the events going on at the time. Abigail meets Samuel, who blesses her before she marries Nabal, a mean man who is rich, but drinks heavily. When David's men ask for food for their army for protecting Nabal's land, Nabal refuses, but Abigail goes out with offerings to th ...more
Holly
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book caught my attention since it is the woman I named my daughter after. I wanted to do a more in depth study of the woman of the Bible. I didn't realize the battles she had to endure, including sharing her husband with multiple women. It was a good book that made me consider reading the other books of the series.
Umab8587
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for my Abigail Circle. Interesting historical fiction about one of David's wives.
Erin Goettsch
Found this book from 1980 on a low shelf of a church library while visiting. Dumb and cheesy in a fun guilty pleasure kind of way.
CM
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting & fast-moving novel, although much is purely conjecture given few Biblical details of Abigail in the life of David.
Meadow Frisbie
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting tale of the life of Abigail. The women who faced up to a King, and in return became the Queen of Israel.
Marcy Stearns
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marcy by: Marcia Meerwarth
I was hoping for more insight re: the life of this interesting Biblical woman. It was a good story, but I didn't find any new insights.
Rachel
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Such an amazing view of an extraordinary woman.
Lizzie Hills
Mar 20, 2013
Bonnie
Jun 22, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lois T. Henderson is an American author of Christian novels, many of which are dramatizations of Biblical narratives about women
More about Lois T. Henderson