Start by marking “When Harlem Was in Vogue” as Want to Read:
When Harlem Was in Vogue

When Harlem Was in Vogue

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  258 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The decade and a half that followed World War I was a time of tremendous optimism in Harlem. It was a time when Langston Hughes, Eubie Blake, Marcus Garvey, Zora Neale Hurston, Paul Robeson, and countless others made their indelible mark on the landscape of American culture: African Americans made their first appearances on Broadway; chic supper clubs opened on Harlem stre ...more
Published June 1st 1997 by Penguin Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about When Harlem Was in Vogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Harlem Was in Vogue

₵oincidental   Ðandy
A penetrating study of Afro-American culture (the Harlem Renaissance in particular), racial prejudice & struggles. Although not exactly an 'easy read,' One must commend the author, Mr. Levering-Lewis, for the intense research necessary to write such a compelling (& beautifully-written) book.

For anyone seriously interested in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s (along with the early foundations of the Civil Rights Movement), they will find all the characters responsible for its creation
Ari
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
"The Depression accelerated a failure that was inevitable, for the Harlem Renaissance could no more have succeeded as a positive social force, whatever the health of Wall Street, than its participants could have been persuaded to try a different stratagem of racial advancement." 305

The Harlem Renaissance has fascinated me since I was a little girl and I think I've come full circle now that I've read one of the most widely-cited books on the time period. I took an English class in college on the
Staci Taylor
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: academic-school
The Harlem Renaissance became a widely known cultural phenomenon and a real way out for African Americans to express themselves without shame and instead with dignity and self-respect, breaking color lines and stereotypes. The optimistic atmosphere and industrial boom between 1923 and 1928 had given many African Americans a glimpse at a better life and confirmed W. E. B. Du Bois’s prediction that migration would aid advancement in civil justice and progress. Even though the Harlem Renaissance he ...more
"KayFey"
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
When in Harlem, do as Harlemites do! I can't begin to say enough about this book and how it helped in my research for my own book. Levering Lewis uses a conversational tone, affecting the reader to forget this is an academic book, a reference book for a time lost but still very much alive and vibrant.
Roger Mckenzie
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a superb study of the origins and development of the period known as the Harlem Renaissance. It sets this important period within its proper historical and political context and is not afraid to highlight the shortcomings of key figures and the inevitability of the end of the Renaissance. I highly recommend this tremendously well written book.
William
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Always love to reread books that I read in college (this is one of my favorites). This is a must read for those of us that are patrons of the finer things in life (art, music, et cetera...). You will not be disappointed.
Acacia
Feb 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
Fine as a narrative. I don't like histories that don't provide a sort of outline at the outset, letting you know where the author is going.
Frank
Jun 15, 2010 rated it liked it
A remarkably detailed but also rather tedious overview of the Harlem Renaissance.
Charles
Mar 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A really good look at the history of Harlem, which has had a lot more influence on American culture than is often understood.
Gwen Lester-Cunningham
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very informative and entertaining book. Well written and interesting. As a Harlem Renaissance buff, I found it quite satisfying.
Stephen
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Too many names, places and dates; difficult to keep track of the key players in the Harlem Renaissance. Not enough information about painters and sculptors.
Dylan Suher
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Comprehensive, decent pop-history, although also quite scattershot and meandering. Overemphasizes the importance of formal associations and linkages, underemphasizes informal relationships.
Robbie
  • Terrible Honesty: Mongrel Manhattan in the 1920s
  • Harlem Renaissance
  • The New Negro
  • New Art City: Manhattan at Mid-Century
  • All-Night Party: The Women of Bohemian Greenwich Village and Harlem, 1913-1930
  • Spunk: Selected Short Stories
  • Miss Anne in Harlem: The White Women of the Black Renaissance
  • The Damned and the Beautiful: American Youth in the 1920's
  • Too Heavy a Load: Black Women in Defense of Themselves, 1894-1994
  • When Washington Was in Vogue: A Love Story
  • Race-Ing Justice, En-Gendering Power: Essays on Anita Hill, Clarence Thomas, and the Construction of Social Reality
  • The Big Sea
David Levering Lewis is the Julius Silver University Professor and Professor of History at New York University.
More about David Levering Lewis

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99