Start by marking “Room in the Heart” as Want to Read:
Room in the Heart

Room in the Heart

Told from several points of view, this novel reveals how life in Copenhagen was soiled by the Nazi occupation and how the Danes fought back with courage and kindness. Julie lives with the constant, nagging fear that her family will be sent to a concentration camp. Niels can't stand the brutish, arrogant Nazi soldiers and finds himself drawn to the Danish resistance. When N ...more
Published October 13th 2003 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Room in the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Room in the Heart

Start your review of Room in the Heart
HyrumSasser
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The German Occupation of Denmark lasted from 1940 to 1945. In 1939 Denmark and Germany had signed a non aggression pact. Denmark was invaded on 9 April 1940. Denmark's government feared the strength of the German armies, so they decided to cooperate with the Germans. For many of the danish their life's went on as normal. However there ended up being shortages of goods, rationing, air-raid warnings, blackouts, and closed borders. There was a resistance to the Germans that included a illegal pres ...more
Marina Stephenson
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
In the book “Room in the Heart” by Sonia Levitin, the story follows the lives of two Danish teens who experience the time period of 1940-1943, also known as World War 2. During this time the two teens, Niels and Julie, are faced with many challenges that test their beliefs. These situations help to develop the theme that by being persistent and steadfast in times of adversity, one can truly find their purpose in life. I enjoyed this book a lot. There were times while reading the book where you w ...more
Geena
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
[Written: 12-9-04] | [Edited: 9-07-19]

"Room in the Heart" was a book I loved reading every moment of. Historical fiction as told from the perspective of children and young adults really does the most and remains an invaluable part of keeping crucial aspects of history alive in the minds of kids completely divorced from a period they've only glimpsed in history books.

In the case of the Second World War, which has often been mythologized into a bare-bones tale of "America vs. the Nazi
Kaitlyn Wilson
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was forced to read this book for school, but actually ended up enjoying it! I appreciated that the book didn't center around the romance in the story. This book is great for gaining an understanding of the holocaust and I recommend it to young readers.
AnnMarie Smith
At first glance, I believed that the novel was about a relationship between the two main protagonists. I was expecting a bittersweet love story that took place during WWII. In some ways it lived up to my expectations, but it missed the mark in others.

Firstly, the novel progressed slowly. Because of the multiple points of view, nothing seemed to happen. The point of views didn't feel distinctly different because of the similarities in voice and writing style. However, the letters did feel extrem
TPTE
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
The book showed a really slow progression; it took me a whole month to finish Room in the Heart! I just wasn't that interested in the plot, and I might've as well as stopped reading it if it wasn't for that I almost always finish what I start reading. Here's the list of things I didn't like about the book:

1. Willi.
So he just writes to his mother and that's basically it. I know he met Julie once, but that did next to nothing in the story.

2. Emil.
Emil's change o
Elaina Carsten
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a story that takes place during WW2 when the Nazis start taking Jews to concentration camps and it is about a Jewish family who survive through the holocaust and don't get caught at all. I really like all the characters in the book especially this non-Jew named, Niels, who helps out the Jewish family. I really liked this book because if you know me I really like reading and learning more about the Holocaust and WW2.
Margo Tanenbaum
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: denmark, world-war-ii, ww2
A moving Holocaust story that makes a good companion book to Lois Lowry's Number the Stars. Like that classic, it focuses on ordinary people in Denmark, Jews and Gentiles alike, who work to rescue Danish Jews from the Nazis. This story focuses on young people and is told with alternating points of view of different characters in the story.
Jenny
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, teen
Julie, Niels, and their families are awakened one night by planes dropping leaflets over Denmark. Germany and the Nazis have invaded. They struggle to live normal lives, despite the occupation and to fight the Nazis in many ways. When the roundup of the Jews is planned for Rosh Hashana, Niels' family hides Julie's and helps them escape to Sweden.
Joy
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story of the occupation of the Danish people and how they protected and helped the Jewish people during WW2. The only chapters I thought were dumb were about Willi. The book would have been better without the German soldier's chapters.
Melinda
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, kept me tense and on edge nearly from start to finish.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Danes rescuing Jews in World War II.
Matthew
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book based on the story of Denmark and Danish resistance during the German occupation of World War II. So many brilliant passages and touching moments.
9hannahd
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was one of the better books i have read. It made me feel like i was actually in the Holocaust, but not really.
Sara
Mar 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2009, ya-lit
Kyla Cropper
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
it was a very heart warming book
Erica Chapman
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Class of 2015: Room In the Heart 1 3 Dec 11, 2014 09:45PM

• The Feminine Mystique
  • Madness and Civilization: A History of Insanity in the Age of Reason
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • På vei. Tekstbok
  • The Wretched of the Earth
  • The Cross of Lead (Crispin, #1)
  • På vei. Arbeidsbok
  • I Believe in ZERO: Learning From the World's Children
  • Strengthsfinder 2.0 from Gallup and Tom Rath: Discover Your CliftonStrengths
  • The Green Collar Economy: How One Solution Can Fix Our Two Biggest Problems
  • Racial Hygiene: Medicine Under the Nazis
  • Living with a Green Heart: How to Keep Your Body, Your Home, and the Planet Healthy in a Toxic World
  • Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know--And Doesn't
  • Protected
  • The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University
  • The Special Ones
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • Ruthless
Sonia Levitin is a German-American novelist, artist, producer, Holocaust Survivor, and author of over forty novels and picture books for young adults and children, as well as several theatrical plays and published essays on various topics for adults. Her book Incident at Loring Groves won an Edgar Allan Poe Award.