Start by marking “Science Fiction: The Illustrated Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:
Science Fiction: The Illustrated Encyclopedia

Science Fiction: The Illustrated Encyclopedia

Rumor has it that critic John Clute, in the aftermath of the success of The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, was given carte blanche to develop an illustrated reference. This lavish volume, studded with graphics and nuggets of information, is the pleasing result. Science Fiction : The Illustrated Encyclopedia showcases the prophecy and pageantry of science fiction. It weav ...more
Published September 9th 1995 by Dk Pub (T) (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science Fiction

Start your review of Science Fiction: The Illustrated Encyclopedia
Paul Bryant
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I did not buy any of the magazines, so I was spared the garish aliens on the covers who staggered about with their glamorous earth girls in their tentacles as if looking for an A & E department but not being able to read the street signs. Nor did I attend any of the science fiction fan conventions, so I was spared any confrontations with the frightening Damon Knight, or grim James Blish or alarming Michael Bishop. Not to mention my fellow fans, who indeed invented the concept of the ubergeek. I ...more
Minifig
May 05, 2019 marked it as consulta  ·  review of another edition
Se trata de una segunda edición ampliada de una enciclopedia publicada en 1978.

Como la mayor parte de los libros de la editorial Dorling Kindersley, es un libro notablemente visual, con artículos a doble página (de forma que toda la información del artículo se encuentra a la vista en el momento de la lectura), con un gran párrafo introductorio a 12 puntos y cuerpo de texto a 9.

Además de estos artículos principales cuenta con varias líneas del tiempo, también a doble página, que contextualizan au
Mattomic
Jun 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SF buffs
Shelves: reference-books
At the moment, I'm piecing together a library research class for a sci fi literature class. John Clute's name came up in a discussion with the professor about what resources to include. Clute has authored a number of reference works, but this stands out as my favorite. It's fully illustrated with nicely laid out calendars of events for each period of the history of sci fi in culture in its various media: books, magazines, t.v., film, and radio. While its not the most in-depth resource, it makes ...more
Fred Hughes
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for someone who has started reading science fiction books or watching science fiction movies to get a background on the genre.

At only 312 pages long it is truly just a snapshot.

It has some great eye candy in the inclusion of some older science fiction books and magazines that you will probably never run into.

It highlights what the author considers the main science fiction authors of their times with a short history of their books.

Movies are covered as well as illustrators ,
Natt Cham
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english, sci-fi
Magnificant!
รวบรวมได้อย่างยอดเยี่ยม โดยเฉพาะ Timeline และ Major Writer.
ทำให้รู้ถึงประวัติศาสตร์โดยย่อของไซไฟ นักเขียนและงานที่น่าสนใจ
อีกทั้งรูปประกอบมากมายทำให้น่าอ่าน
Peter Jones
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It sat on my shelf, with a bookmark about 5 pages in, for a decade or two, without me even thinking of picking it up again. Started looking at it again recently, and went thru the whole thing. Some fun info and interpretations on the history of the genre, but not super-impressive (and at 20+ years after being published, somewhat out of date). Not anything I'd be likely to want to read or reference a second time.
Jbmcgraw
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, sci-fi
This is a must have for any sci-fi buff or collector. While it doesn't go TOO far into details of each era, it has wonderful information about the entire timeline that can lead to further research. I love it.
Kevin Fletcher
Jan 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full of error after error
Scott Golden
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent, well-organized and detailed overview of science fiction media -- particularly focused on 20th century SF magazines, books and films -- by a dedicated chronicler of the genre. Clute's appraisals of SF's best & most popular writers are measured and fair; and if his critique of SF film seems harsh, it is, in almost all cases, certainly justified. Twenty years after its publication this volume screams for an update, but there is still a lot that is worthy, informative & fascina ...more
Andy
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A very in depth look at the history Science Fiction, from the early works like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and HG Wells all the way through, decade by decade, until 1995. Featuring bios and bibliographies of important authors, although I'm mystified why Leigh Brackett isn't featured in the bios section, plus the book takes a look at film and television as well. If you like your Science Fiction, then I would recommend picking this up.
Clare
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Science Fiction: The Illustrated Encyclopedia is a lovely coffee table book about the history of the genre, although Clute’s mild hypocrisy might rub some readers the wrong way. Still, it’s lovely and downright charming in its datedness—imagine a world where Doctor Who was cancelled and never came back! Oh, it’s too horrible to even bear!
Chris
Jul 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
See the Goodreads description to get the idea. This book is essential to anyone who wants the whole SF shebang. Loaded with the coolest artwork, I read this whole thing from cover to cover. It turned me on to all the best authors. This book answers all the SF questions, especially, "Where do I start?" and the never-ending "Now what do I read next?"
Mark
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful, liberally illustrated, reference to science fiction by noted critic in field. Seminal authors quickly biographied and critiqued, citing major works. Quick genre history and survey of representative films. Book dated, from when it was published; still attractive reference. Learn more about authors and books you want to read.
Daniel
weaves together world history with literary history and technical developments with SF trends, providing a cultural context to the Zeitgeist of the genre. Words truly cannot do justice to the visual delights of this colorful tome: time lines, charts...
Gregoire
not only best sellers books and authors but also films zines till the end of the 80th with very nice pictures So it is a good book for those who want to know more of the "golden" age of sf Myself, i want something more about the new generation of writers
John Bradney
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've thumbed my way through this book so many times I've had to buy a new copy (2 actually, one for reference and the other to sit on my shelf to look good). Apart from the fact it's now missing a decade of good sci-fi, it's indispensable.
Jose Manuel
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
La leí en su versión en castellano. Junto con la guia de la CF de Miguel Barceló fueron las luces que iban iluminando el camino del género.
FranklinTV
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Okish book with a good summary section on authors.
Mark
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any Sci-Fi Nut
If you don't know where to start, or want to do some exploring with authors that matter, then this will be a valuable resource for you. Most of my MUST READ list was found here.
Ken Newman
A simply fantastic book. Period.
Shari
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very good section on sci-fi authors and titles. It's 1995, though, so a little outdated, nothing current.
Álvaro
Jason
Apr 13, 2012
rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2016

• Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • Emergency Skin
  • Summer Frost
  • The Magic Mountain
  • The Word for World is Forest
  • Randomize
  • Ark
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • Precious and Grace (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #17)
  • Dying of Embarrassment: Help for Social Anxiety and Phobia
  • Enchanted Forests
  • To the Land of Long Lost Friends (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #20)
  • 44 Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street, #1)
  • In the Garden of Iden (The Company, #1)
  • Pfitz
  • Forrest J Ackerman's World of Science Fiction
  • O Pirotécnico Zacarias e Outros Contos
John Frederick Clute (1940- ) is a Canadian born author and critic who has lived in Britain since 1969. He has been described as "an integral part of science fiction's history."

Clute's articles on speculative fiction have appeared in various publications since the 1970s. He is a co-editor of The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction (with Peter Nicholls) and of The Encyclopedia of Fantasy (with John Gra

News & Interviews