Start by marking “Rick Steves Ireland 2015” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves Ireland 2015

Rick Steves Ireland 2015

You can count on Rick Steves to tell you what you really need to know when traveling in Ireland.

With this guide, you can explore lively Dublin, quaint Kilkenny, and the moss-draped ruins of the Ring of Kerry. Navigate meandering back roads that lead to windswept crags on the dramatic Dingle Peninsula. Explore Ireland's revered past by following St. Patrick's footsteps to t
Published December 9th 2014 by Rick Steves (first published December 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves Ireland 2015, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves Ireland 2015

Kate
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Steves manages to use great voice in writing making this a fun read for the candid advice needed when planning travel. He'll provide suggestions for every traveler and guidance on the questions of should I pay extra for this or that or stop here or there-He will say-if you like this go here if you prefer that, do the tour otherwise skip it and so on. The book is comprehensive considering all aspects of the trip including social norms and tipping. The end of the book has good general advice ...more
Corinne Johnston
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After 5 months of poring over this book I think I know it by heart! Really good for planning, if a little too marketed at the American tourist (lots of corny advice about narrow roads, driving on the 'wrong' side, etc) but lots of sites have an idea of how long to visit or what to miss (though sometimes when he says I'd give it a miss he doesn't say why)
A little too heavy to cart around with one, but that is what scanning and PDFs are for
A number of places we've heard on his podcasts like Donega
Stacy
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of helpful details, sometimes buried in an unlikely place. (Example: I challenge you to find his recommendation for best driving map.)

Maps are very useful, but NOT on a Kindle Paperwhite. Use your iPad or other tablet to be able to see the maps. Or just get the paper edition.
Justina
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super helpful in planning and navigating our trip. Filled with great history and recommendations for food etc.
Shannon
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We planned our two-week trip to Ireland with this book leading the way. The best of the travel books we purchased by far.
Jess
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Rick

But, Belfast info is a bit lacking. Dublin is under construction (has been for years) so walking tours are outdated.
carl  theaker
With thoughts of visiting Ireland this year I purchased
"Frommer's Ireland" 2012 and picked up from the library
"Eyewitness Travel Ireland" and "Rick Steves' Ireland"
to compare and glean extra helpful hints.

I've always liked the Frommer's guides. They seem geared for
a range of middle-class budgets, adventures and sensibilities.
"Fodors Guides" appear to be for the higher price range, and
I've graduated from the college angled "Let's Go" and eat the
leftovers from a cafeteria tray and sleep in a hos
Lauren
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travelers to Ireland
Shelves: travel
My husband and I just got back from an 11-day trip to Ireland. We bought this book and the Frommer's Day by Day guide, but the only guide I used the entire time was Rick Steve's. Whether you're planning a trip for 3 days or 3 weeks, Rick Steve's has all of the information to guide you through a fun, interesting and relaxing trip.

Following the outline he provided at the beginning of the book, we flew into Dublin and made our way in a clockwise circle around the entire island. All of the places w
J.R. Dodson
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoy Rick Steves on PBS and felt this guide does a really solid job paving our way towards the interesting, deeper, less touristy parts of the country. His direction and the depth he goes into are very helpful and I didn't feel like any of his accommodation or meal suggestions led us astray at all.

The shortcomings of the guide are few: one is that too much detail is given in sections to the stuff he's really nerdy about, whereas the guide could have used more emphasis on pointing out th
Erica
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in "off the beaten path" travel
I resisted, I will admit, picking up a Rick Steves' guidebook ... by my co-worker swore by it and, my word, it was so much more digestible than the other ones I'd been attempting to slog through! It keeps things short and sweet, and focuses on the types of sites that I am interested in. The book focuses on helping you construct a great trip, rather than telling you everything there is to know about any noteworthy (or not so noteworthy) sight in the country. The writing is diplomatic, but doesn't ...more
Kelly
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as impressed with the "back doors" in this book as I have been with other guides of his I've used in the past. Maybe he's become too popular since I last went to Europe many years ago. Stayed in a B&B recommended in his book and it was nice, but also booked almost solid with Americans. Where's the fun in that? His sleepy back door town of Dingle felt very touristy, was the most booked up of any place we stayed in Ireland, and what the roads lacked in tour buses they more than made up for ...more
Lorraine McCullough
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
It did take me a bit, but as I have been trip planning I have loved this book. I cannot wait to take it with me to Ireland. I appreciate the structure of the book, and I love that it is organized by region.
Jack Hrkach
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Rick Steves is selective, brief, relatively speaking, with strong opinions about what's worth seeing and what's not - he also has a great love for history and culture, and this love shines through in his books. When I am about to head abroad (Ireland, mid-May) I consult him first, then go to the Rough Guide for more detail, and for a more comprehensive view - for example, Steves writes about the area around Cork, but not the city itself - as I will be staying there for four days I want more info ...more
Randee Baty
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My family will be traveling to Ireland this spring and this is the essential tool for planning the trip. The in-depth detail gives hours and prices for attractions. It tells you what time of day is best. It lets you know what to expect from the weather and what to pack. He even goes into the history of the region so you have some idea why what you are seeing matters. It reviews smaller hotels, restaurants and attractions that you might not find on your own and the style is that of one traveler t ...more
Ted
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
We have come to value Rick Steves' travel books. We used this one for two trips to Ireland. On our most recent trip, we found that he warned us away from a sight (Westport Manor) that was well worth seeing, and didn't even list another sight (Auchnanore Castle) which was also well worth seeing. Both were on the Connemara and Mayo driving tour, which was optimistically listed as a one-day drive. I knew from reading it before we left that it would take us two days--which might be affected by the t ...more
Sandy123
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, Rick Steves provides great advice and ideas for your vacation. I am using it as the basis for my upcoming trip to Ireland and know that it will serve me well. This guidebook has a ton of great ideas and information. The book covers all of the important sights in Ireland. I am using it as the basis for my upcoming trip and know that it will serve me well.

It is not as detailed as some of his guidebooks on specific cities like Rome or Paris, but this is due to the fact that he is coveri
Amanda Silvia
I brought this book and DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Ireland with me when my husband and I went to Ireland in May/June of this year to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. Truthfully, I preferred the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Ireland guidebook (with its color photos) over this one, but I did use Rick's Dingle Peninsula and Connemara loop trips, which were great. I also used it for other things throughout the trip. Since we had rented a car, I didn't mind carrying two books around with us, sin ...more
Tammy
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, travel
I was in Ireland for 14 days. I took a Paddywagon 10 day all Ireland tour (which was amazing!), so I only needed a guide book for Dublin. I still used it as a reference during the tour. I found it to be a pretty good resource. It would have been nice if there was more context as to why the interesting sites were worth seeing. Also, like most guide books, there is extensive advice on hotels, but that seems of limited use with the internet.
Taylor
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the sections for the places I would be visiting but it seems like really great information! I love how he rates different places and gives reasoning behind his ratings. It definitely helped when deciding whether to stay in one area versus another. I also liked that he included a lot of history and culture into his book as well. I would definitely recommend to someone traveling and will look for his others when going to other places.
Jennifer Willis
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This travel guide was essentially my bible when I was in Ireland for five weeks in the fall of 2011 on a journalism fellowship. From tour company listings and museum descriptions to out-of-the-way pub recommendations, I relied rather heavily on this book. My copy was definitely well-used -- it's now completely marked up and beat to hell. ;)
Robin
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Thorough!

We're in Ireland now and this book has been very accurate and helpful. I purchased it before we left and it helped to firm up some of our plans and give me some advance knowledge on what to expect while traveling. There are links to maps, websites, hotels, etc...everything you could possibly need.
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, travel, ireland
Okay, I didn't read every single page, but I did read about all the areas I am planning to visit, which is about 2/3rds of the book. A good, informative resource, and a good jumping-off point for my trip planning. This one has enough useful information in it that I plan to bring it with me in-country.
Kate
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick Steves is a good guide because he showcases the best things to see and is honest about other things that aren't worth the time. His opinion comes out loud and clear, which bugged me at times, but he is sensible about price (Fodor's tends to cater to higher income folk in comparison). Rick's books are shorter too, so I suggest comparing them w/ another travel guide.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Rick Steves gives good advice so that you can set priorities for what to see whether you have a two-day itinerary in Dublin or three-weeks to see more of Ireland. He gives a primer on pub etiquette.
Paula
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are going to Ireland for our 20th wedding anniversary and are quite excited. We LOVE Rick Steves as his books are both informative and practical and my husband and I read this one together and we will partake of a lot of the sights to see that Rick talks about in the book.
Terah Beeson
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick's suggestions of what to see and what not to see were in line with our personal preference, but it may not be the case for everyone. We didn't really reference the guide for places to eat or stay.
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful but only for self guided tours. He leaves out whole chunks of the country. If Rick doesn't like it, Rick doesn't write about it. I found his tone a bit patronizing at times. I think I can decide for myself where I want to tour and where not, thank you.
Jason
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource for our Ireland trip. In particular it helped us discover places like Dingle Town and Kinsale, which we never would have considered otherwise. Thanks to this book we learned that Ireland is about a lot more than Dublin!
Rachel
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This guide came highly recommended, and with good reason. It was a great companion during my ten day journey. Steves is a bit of a snob (he really hates Killarney!) but lots of good information, particularly if you do your own driving tour, like I did.
Dustin Wiyrick
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to go to Ireland
Just returned from Ireland. This book never let us down in its suggestions. Where to stay, eat and see without spending too much or getting too touristy. I am convinced that I will never need to read another series of guidebooks when going to Europe.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ireland (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • France
  • Scotland
  • Ireland: A Terrible Beauty
  • Top 10 London (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Beyond Belfast: A 560 Mile Journey Across Northern Ireland On Sore Feet
  • Jaywalking with the Irish
  • 44: Dublin Made Me
  • Germany
  • The Red-Haired Girl from the Bog: The Landscape of Celtic Myth and Spirit
  • Lonely Planet Ireland (Travel Guide)
  • The Complete Book of Food Counts
  • 501 Must-Visit Destinations
  • Top 10 Paris (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • A Secret History of the IRA: Gerry Adams and the Thirty Year War
  • Stroll: Psychogeographic Walking Tours of Toronto
  • Fodor's Travel Intelligence London 2012
  • Great Britain
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
“Call your debit- and credit-card companies to let them know the countries you’ll be visiting, to ask about fees, request your PIN code (it will be mailed to you), and more. See here for details.” 0 likes