Start by marking “I Wait for the Moon: 100 Haiku of Momoko Kuroda” as Want to Read:
I Wait for the Moon: 100 Haiku of Momoko Kuroda

I Wait for the Moon: 100 Haiku of Momoko Kuroda

Momoko Kuroda (b. 1938) is a remarkable haiku spirit and a powerfully independent Japanese woman. The one hundred poems here—her first collection in English—show her evolution as a poet, her acute lyricism, and her engagement as a writer in issues central to modern Japan: postwar identity, nuclear politics, and Fukushima. Abigail Friedman's introduction and textual comment ...more
Published October 7th 2014 by Stone Bridge Press (first published September 22nd 2014)

Story Circle Book Reviews
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
We think we know haiku. It's the short-short form of poetry based on seventeen syllables in a 5/7/5 line length, usually an observation of nature. It's poetry of the moment, dashed off quickly, not serious writing.

Wrong. Haiku is so much more—which is only one of the surprises in this beautiful small volume of haiku from one of Japan's most renowned poets, Momoko Kuroda, translated with insightful commentary by Abigail Friedman, a career U.S. diplomat who studied with Kuroda when Friedman lived
Anna Gallegos
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I Wait for the Moon is a lovely compilation of Momoko Kuroda's work that can be enjoyed by haiku lovers and novices a like. Kuroda's poems are evocative, and she possess such a range in topics that she is able to bring to life in a few short lines. My favorite section of the book is "Deep Beneath the Sea," which is a sub-collection about the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake, tsunami and the Fukushima nuclear disaster. She juxtaposes the flora of Japan while capturing the heartbreak of the survivors who lo ...more
AK Mama Reads
This was one of the most beautifully put together and informative poetry collections I've ever read. The author/editor/compiler of haikus managed to explain things without taking the magic away from the original poem. Will definitely be adding this to our poetry library.
Meranda
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Goodreads Giveaway. An interesting and informative little book on Haiku's and their translations.
Crystal
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new haiku favorite, with a perfectly suited translator. We can see the original Japanese, and Abigail Friedman often explains why she made the choices she did in translating, or she gives some personal information about Momoko's state of mind when she wrote the haiku, or she offers a contrast with a classic haiku. I cried during the chapter Deep Beneath the Sea, which deals with the Great East Japan Earthquake.
Bernadette
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The mob ing and thought- provoking haiku, in both the original Japanese and translated English, are written by Japan’s premier haiku poet and translated by her friend.
The explanations and backstories provide good insight.
Elaine
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Friedman has managed not only to translate Kuroda’s work but really bring it to life in this wondrous little book! I learnt so much about Haiku, the history & culture, the language & subtleties, as well as Kuroda’s life and experiences. All alongside beautiful Haiku’s. A must-read for a lover of this art form.
Daryl
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, poetry
A Goodreads First Reads giveaway win! This is a beautiful, and beautifully put together, little collection. I've always liked haiku. These are translated from the original Japanese, and the translator (Abigail Friedman) does a marvelous job. She doesn't opt for literal translations (as one cannot do with poetry) and doesn't attempt to make the English translations fit the 5-7-5 syllable format (the Japanese generally conforms to it). How do I know all this? Because in addition to Momoko's poems, ...more
Mel
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free through a Goodreads first reader giveaway.

Haiku is such a beautiful medium, and both the poet and the translator work with it well in this collection. I very much appreciated the commentaries as well, as they helped make the poems more real and meaningful to me as a non Japanese speaker.
Liam
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
One thing I learned is that some Japanese letters have long sounds making them two syllables. A good book on an author I didn't know. Many haiku were commented on and these are worth the cost of the book.
Pam
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, poetry, 2015
Learned a lot about Haiku & Japanese Culture. The haiku written in response to the 2011 earthquake and tsunami are particularly haunting.
Connie
  • Women Poets of China
  • Dewdrops on a Lotus Leaf: Zen Poems of Ryokan
  • Stolen Air: Selected Poems of Osip Mandelstam
  • Cat Town
  • The Anchor Book of Chinese Poetry: From Ancient to Contemporary, The Full 3000-Year Tradition
  • The Sound of Water: Haiku by Basho, Buson, Issa, and Other Poets
  • The Penguin Book of Japanese Verse
  • From Sand Creek
  • Are You an Echo?: The Lost Poetry of Misuzu Kaneko
  • The Charge of the Light Brigade
  • Haiku in English: The First Hundred Years
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • The Poems