Jump to ratings and reviews

Fast Track #8

Final Lap

Switching into high gear……

At a friend’s lavish wedding, Harley McLain and her twin sister, Charity, meet sexy stock-car driver Cooper Brickman. The more reserved Harley is immediately smitten—until he hits on her twin. But Harley has had enough of being the “nice” girl, and after trading dresses with Charity, she seduces Cooper for a night of wild sex.

……ready for a hot lap.

What was supposed to be a one-night fling gets complicated when Cooper needs a nanny to look after his kid sister—and is convinced sweet, dependable Harley would be perfect for the job. She can’t resist the money—or Cooper’s hot bod. But when her deception is revealed, will it destroy her dependable image—or will he finally realize how sexy sweet can be?

304 pages, Paperback

First published October 7, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Erin McCarthy

164 books4,757 followers
USA Today and New York Times Bestselling author Erin McCarthy sold her first book in 2002 and has since written over seventy novels and novellas in teen fiction, new adult, and adult romance. Erin has a special weakness for high-heeled boots, beaches and martinis. She lives in Ohio with her family, two grumpy cats and a socially awkward dog.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
67 (4%)
1 star
21 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 29 of 129 reviews
Profile Image for ♥Rachel♥.
1,823 reviews834 followers
October 11, 2014
I’m a big fan of Erin McCarthy’s new adult series,True Believers , so I jumped at the chance to read one of her adult romances. Ms. McCarthy doesn’t disappoint in Final Lap and all the things I love about her writing are present in this story as well. It was heartfelt, realistic, fun and sexy!

Harley McLain is the sensible, steady twin while her sister Charity is known as the saucy, seductive flirt of the two. Usually this doesn’t bother Harley much, but at a friend’s wedding she meets her racing idol Cooper Brickman and for once she’d like to be seen as the hot temptress. Instead as soon as Cooper finds out Harley is a nanny, he talks her ear off about his pre-teen sister who is now living with him and all the troubles he’s having raising her. He doesn’t seem to see her as an attractive woman, a fact that is underscored when he catches sight of Charity and immediately starts drooling.

Seriously, Harley got him telling her about his concern over her sister’s impeding puberty, and Charity got flirty Cooper? What the hell was fair about that? They looked exactly the same. They were identical twins.

Charity is having her own romance drama, really exactly the opposite of Harley, so the two decide to do a switch of dresses and identities and Harley ends up sleeping with Cooper. She feels bad about the deception but she figures she’ll never see him again. Never say never, lol!

It’s an awkward situation when circumstances force Harley to accept Cooper’s job as his sister’s nanny. Now she must act like she never had Cooper’s body and lips all over hers! Worse, she’s crushing and falling harder for him every day that goes by.

Cooper is confused when “Charity” runs after an awesome night of hot sex. She doesn’t even leave her contact info giving him the ultimate brush-off. When Cooper hires Harley, he feels like a real jerk, because he’s becoming more and more attracted to her, developing serious feelings even though he slept with her sister. Harley is sweet, caring, and stands up to him. She has a backbone he didn’t see when she patiently listened to all his woes the night he slept with “Charity”.

Identity swap romances are usually something I avoid, because I’m usually stressed out wondering when the secret will come out and ruin anything good established. Somehow it slipped my notice that Final Lap was one of those. I needn’t have worried. When Harley goes to live with Cooper it’s more about them getting to know each other, and Cooper waking up to see what an amazing, sexy woman Harley is. As his respect for her grows, so does his attraction, and before they even lock lips with her as Harley, Cooper has already fallen hard.

I must say, even though I was a little miffed that Cooper didn’t see Harley that first night, he was an awesome guy. He was giving and thoughtful, and the fact that he was trying to do what was right for his sister won me over even more. As for Harley, when she was in her element as a nanny her strengths came shining through, and I was happy she started to have more confidence to be more assertive with Cooper personally, as well. She was the best thing to come into Cooper and his little sister’s life.

Erin McCarthy’s portrays characters with emotions and insecurities that feel very real to life, ones I have felt myself, so it’s really easy to immediately connect with them. I was swept up and away with Harley and Cooper’s sweet, sensual and satisfying romance! Now I want to backtrack and read the rest of the series!
Profile Image for Dee.
1,475 reviews157 followers
December 29, 2015
3.5 Stars

I was really into this book and was thinking I was gonna give it 4 Stars but the ending left a lot to be desired so downgraded to 3.5. I just felt it was all wrapped up really quickly and the business of the mother arriving back on the scene after abandoning her child and then threatening for custody etc etc was a real waste of time/page space and cannot understand why it was written that way :/
Profile Image for Simply Love Book Reviews.
6,916 reviews820 followers
October 10, 2014
Rosalie‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

5 STARS

Review copy provided for an honest review

A great read that shows how the good girl doesn’t always finish last.
The opportunity to switch places with your completely identical, but also completely opposite, sister, in gorgeous Asheville proves to be too much to pass up for Harley and Charity McLain. The normal and timid Harley agrees to switch places with the ever so sexy Charity, and talks it up with her long time from afar crush, Cooper. Given the opportunity to play the part of the sexy vixen she wishes she had the confidence to be, nabbing Cooper proves to lead to many interesting things!!
Harley starts working for Cooper as his younger sister’s live-in nanny, the reality of her feelings and the one night stand with Cooper is thrust into reality. Watching the relationship between the two, Cooper begins to wish that the “Charity” he slept with and the sweet, sensible Harley were one in the same. How the two traverse life together is what makes this book incredibly enjoyable. Seeing a super famous character be brought down to earth and learn that love isn’t a one night stand is refreshing. The descriptions put you right there in the scenes being played out, feeling Cooper’s tormenting sexual actions through Nicholas’ words.
Profile Image for Christa.
2,214 reviews419 followers
June 7, 2015
While I am very sad to see this great series conclude, I loved this final book in the series. Harley was a wonderful and nurturing character, and Cooper was an appealing man and protective older brother. The two of them were great together, and I liked the way they took care of Mary Jane together. The twins changing places storyline was entertaining, and I enjoyed watching it all play out.
Profile Image for Nadia.
387 reviews1 follower
April 19, 2019
It was okay until the weird ending. Didn't understand the motive behind the weird drama.
Profile Image for Helyce.
578 reviews6 followers
October 9, 2014
Reviewed here first: http://smexybooks.com/2014/10/review-...

Cooper Brickman’s racing season is going downhill fast. Saddled with his much younger half-sister, 13 year old Mary-Jane, he’s finding it difficult to balance life as he knew it. His driving is off, he’s down on points and in the standings and it’s been months since he’s been with a woman. The thing is, he really loves his sister. Intelligent beyond her years, bright and beautiful, she’s definitely not your typical 13 year old. She needs attention and she needs some strict monitoring, and Cooper thinks he’s found the perfect nanny when he meets Harley McLain at a fellow driver’s wedding.

Harley McLain is smitten in a big way when she sees Cooper Brickman at Ty and Imogen’s wedding. When she steps out onto the balcony to get some air and Cooper strikes up a conversation and goes on and on about the woes of his younger sister, Harley instantly falls into nanny mode. This is a conversation she is comfortable with having worked as a nanny for years. Harley loves kids and is great at her job. Chatting it up with Cooper Brickman is just icing on the cake!

When Imogen calls for all the single girls to come out to catch the bouquet, Harley’s identical twin, Charity, yanks her onto the floor. Harley did not miss Cooper’s hot perusal of her sister. Though identical, Charity oozed sex while Harley simply did not. After Charity catches the bouquet, all the single men line up and it’s no surprise when Cooper catches the garter. He then makes sure that Charity knows he’s interested when he places the garter much higher than necessary on her thigh.

But Charity has had it with men assuming she’s easy and stomps off the floor to find her sister Harley. Harley saw the exchange and is equally upset that men seem to see her as the maternal type and are just not interested in her sexually. She and Charity are identical and just because she doesn’t flaunt her boobs doesn’t mean that she isn’t interested in getting busy with a hot guy like Cooper Brickman.

On a whim, Charity and Harley decided to swap dresses and pretend to be each other for just one night. Charity wants to be seen as the intelligent woman that she is for a change and not just a hot piece of ass while Harley wants very much to be that hot piece and she wants to melt all over Cooper Brickman.

Whew! Much longer set up than I usually like to use in a review, but it’s the basis for the whole story, which had its moments but was disappointing at the same time. As this is the final book in McCarthy’s Fast Track series, I expected more from it and it simply did not deliver.

My first issue is that while the focus is almost solely on Harley and Cooper, there is, in the background, Charity’s huge crush on Jeff Sterling. At the wedding, when Harley and Charity switch dresses, we get the play by play of what happens between Cooper and Harley (pretending to be Charity), and we get just a teeny tiny scene where we know that Charity, pretending to be Harley, has struck up a conversation with Jeff. Jeff is much older, late 40’s I think to Charity’s 27 and he’s also her boss. Yet Charity makes it clear that she is done with boys and wants a man and she’s set her sights on Jeff. While I understood that this was to be Cooper and Harley’s story, it was clear to me from the beginning that the author was setting up Jeff and Charity as well, yet we get next to nothing on them until the last few pages.

Secondly, twins are generally close-identical twins even more so. Harley and Charity have been in previous books and they are as close as sisters can be. So I didn’t buy that Harley would not tell her sister the details of her night with Cooper. Especially since she DID have amazing sex with Cooper, but tells Charity that they just “made out”. So, for much of the book Cooper is confused and uncomfortable and feeling like a pervert because he develops feelings for Harley but feels awful because he thinks he slept with her sister. I get that this was the basis for the main plot of this story, the whole switcheroo thing, but if this was the case than I would have expected more awkward moments between Cooper and Charity.

Conflict is introduced in the form of Cooper and MJ’s mother who blows into town with her current boy toy and causes trouble for Cooper and Harley. I really disliked this. I feel it could have been left out entirely and the story would not have been lacking at all. I felt that the issue of Harley and Charity switching identities would have been more than enough to cause a little grief at an appropriate time in the story, but in this book it is handled a bit too easily and everyone is forgiven for their deception and we get two HEAs instead of just one.

Having said all of that, if I look at this as just the next book in this series, the story of Harley and Cooper is well done. McCarthy does an awesome job with the character of Mary Jane (aka MJ), Cooper’s little sister. She is older beyond her years and the fact that she has been left to her own devices with nearly unlimited funds makes for some very humourous moments. We see many sides to MJ after Harley moves in to be her “nanny”. We also see a different side of Cooper. He too has much character growth as the responsibility of having his sister with him makes him see what was missing from his life. He enjoys the domesticity of having someone to come home to at the end of the day. He enjoys simple things like grocery shopping and making a meal together. In short, he realizes what is really important and he wants Harley in his life.

As a final book in a series, this book fails in my opinion. I would have expected much more in the way of previous couples getting some page time and a “where are they now” look into their lives. To be fair, there is a bit of this. The story starts with Ty and Imogen’s wedding, so all previous characters are in attendance and we do get updates via their conversation, I just wanted more details.

I struggled with what to rate this book because as a stand alone, I enjoyed it-but as a finale, not so much. If this was just a story about Cooper and Harley, I’d easily give it a B–but it wasn’t. Charity and Jeff’s story is barely on the periphery and left me wanting. I didn’t feel that sense of closure, having a good idea of all our previous couples still floating in that cloud of happily ever after. I did love Cooper and Harley and MJ and I’ll miss this series, so I’m splitting it down the middle.
Profile Image for Laura.
724 reviews49 followers
August 27, 2019
This series went out with a bang. I loved this one so much! This was so hilarious featuring the classic identical twin switcheroo gone awry. Cooper hooks up with the wrong twin at a wedding who is really the right twin who turns into being the nanny etc etc. This was hysterical. Cooper coming clean to Harley but digging himself into a deeper mess when he really wasn’t even at fault in the first place was the funniest thing I’ve read in a long time. Great ending to a great series.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
1,475 reviews83 followers
August 28, 2015
FINAL LAP by Erin McCarthy: Twin Turbo Action

For me, an important aspect of sport-based romance novels/series is whether the premise and story are sport specific. Could any sport, or activity even, be swapped in for whatever the sport in the book/series is? If not, then the series might just be cashing in on a trend.

In this instance, the truth is that while I know very little about NASCAR, the story feels as if it is specific to the sport. The way the racers travel, work in teams, seem related or family-based, do a lot of sponsor-based work and in this case, how the race works too, seems very well-researched.

And, it is also a foil for romance and family issues.

Here we have identical twins, one shy and one more extroverted. And we have Cooper a driver who is attracted to one, but who thinks he has slept with the other. Both women are sort of baby sitters: Harley, the shy sister, is a nanny and Charity, the more overtly sexy sister is a rookie-driver-handler for the race team.

Cooper is a guy who has managed to keep himself clear of relationships. His mother’s behavior would scare any man away from marriage. She’s even left him with his teen-aged sister who is a very precocious, sometimes naughty, home-schooled blogger. He’s not home enough to watch her and keep her on the straight and narrow, or at least keep her out of the pit.

Harley ends up being a great family therapist, more than a nanny for his sister — basically helping him see that he can’t really help his sister without making her a priority.

At the same time the fling he thinks he had with her twin, and that she kept it all a secret, makes the feelings they have for each other very difficult for them to not feel guilty. When his mom re-enters the picture, it gets really messy. Secrets and lies are the main trope on which the story relies: her having lied about her identity and his having had a secret liaison (he thinks) with her twin.

I found McCarthy’s portrayal of the NASCAR drivers and their families as well-educated, well-cultured, family-oriented playing against type. I had no idea the teams and drivers made the kind of money necessary for the type of lifestyle and accouterments she puts into the book!

The men, at least, drink more than enough to cause alcohol poisoning. This always bugs me, but it is common to the genre.

This was a fast, fairly enjoyable, and untaxing read with well-done relationship dynamics. I read one of the other books, but this one has enough of its own story to be able to stand alone. And you don’t have to be a racing aficionado to get it.
Profile Image for Cindy.
2,226 reviews133 followers
October 9, 2014
A last revisit of where the previous characters are at in life along with a romance of racecar driver Cooper Brickman and Harley McLain make up this final book in the series.

I enjoyed all the previous books in the series and at one time the last book was supposed to be Eve Monroe’s but two more books have come since then. My honest feelings are it should have ended two books ago. If it wasn’t for the filler of weddings and charity events which included the previous characters this book would have bordered on boring. And believe me I hate saying that as I loved the previous books.

I know this author mainly writes paranormal but I hope one day she starts a new contemporary series as she has a knack for writing humorous situations and great characters.
Profile Image for Heather.
722 reviews1 follower
November 21, 2014
I think Mj stole the show in this book. she needed a good spanking a few times, but I liked her a lot. I really enjoyed this one and am sad that it is the end of the series.
Profile Image for Audrey.
1,270 reviews79 followers
February 19, 2021
It's rare I get to tag any book nanny so thank you, Erin Mccarthy. ALSO, I JUST FINISHED ANOTHER SERIES!!! Yay for me! On a side note, I'm starting to hate series because then I feel guilty for not finishing them. I probably wouldn't have read this book had it not been the last in the series.

Plot: At Ty & Imogen's wedding (I know, they finally got married!), Harley meets the racer she's had a crush on from seeing him on TV: Cooper Brickman. Cooper tells her all about his problems and frustrations with his 12-year-old sister and calls Harley "maternal". Harley wants him to see her as sexy, so for shits and giggles, she and her twin sister Charity (what's up w these names? I would like some explanation please) do a twin swap and exchange each other's clothes. Being Charity for the night gives Harley, the shy, more reserved one, the confidence, and sexiness she normally lacks, and she and Cooper hit the sheets together. Cooper thinks he's slept with Charity.
Finally, Harley agrees to be the live-in babysitter for Cooper's 12-year-old sister.

I tagged this dual romance because there was a bit of another romance with Charity's sister. Before reading this book, I was wondering if Charity was going to get somebody because there were no other books in this series. Sure enough, she gets someone.

I felt like Harley was a little bit boring, especially in the beginning, but I guess that was the point. She just seemed to say what anyone else would say and do in the situation, and besides her being really skilled at being a babysitter, she didn't seem to have too much personality.

I also felt that the conflict at the end was a little bit cock-assed. It was nice how we got 2 blogs as a kind of epilogue, but I would have liked a 10 Years Later Epilogue so we could see what happened with all the characters. For example, did Hunter became a female driver? What about Eve? Evan? Did the Monroe driving dynasty continue? etc. I would have just liked a little more there.
Profile Image for Mazmum.
1,334 reviews11 followers
February 7, 2017
It's always bittersweet saying goodbye to a series you have loved, which is why I pretty much waited three years to read this final piece.

Whilst I loved some of this book, mainly being focused around the relationship between Harley and MJ (because Cooper's sister was an awesome character), I'll admit other things didn't work so well for me.

Cooper was a douche in my eyes to sleep with 'Charity' and then start to feel something for MJ, then throw a teenage strop and kiss Charity when his ego was bruised. As much as the twin swap thing amused me, I didn't really buy into that she wouldn't tell her sister what really happened that night, especially as it had potential repercussions on her. I never got personally invested in them as a couple and felt like a passenger whilst reading, where often, I'm there with them every step of the way, feeling what they are feeling.

Mainly, my reason it was only a like and not a love book though, is that it was just too overly romantic for me. I need some sass with my sopp and I struggled to find it here. It's a complete reflection of my personal tastes, but hey this is my personal review - my friend Zoe would love it for example!

Still the fast track series has been an awesome bumper ride and I'd still recommend it and Erin McCarthy to my friends in a heartbeat if they are looking for a series that doesn't take itself too seriously.
2,033 reviews104 followers
July 31, 2021
Four and a half stars

Final Lap is the last in Erin McCarthy’s Fast Track series, and is a fun, funny, tender, satisfying close to an absolutely delightful set of stories set in the racing universe.

Harley McLain has crushed on driver Cooper Brickman for a while, never really expecting anything to come of it. When she and her twin pull a swap at their friends’ wedding just for funsies, Harley decides to take advantage of that to enjoy Cooper’s attention for just one night. As for Cooper, he ends up needing Harley’s help as a nanny for his teen sister, and can’t figure out what to do about his growing feelings for his hired help.

Erin McCarthy does a terrific job with giving these two just enough rope to make a bit of a mess for themselves and then we can enjoy watching them figure their way back out. Well-written characterizations and amazing world building continue in Final Lap, making this another keeper in this fantastic series.
Profile Image for Shelby.
2,618 reviews79 followers
June 14, 2022
While this is mostly Harley and Cooper's story, it was nice to see everything wrapped up in and Charity getting her happily ever after as well. Of course since it's the twins this was going to be a case of them flipping places and issues to ensue. I felt for Cooper as he wasn't sure which twin he was really attracted to since he thought he slept with Charity, but couldn't help himself being drawn to Harley and the life she was helping create for him and his sister.

I liked Harley, but admittedly I kept waiting for her to come clean with Cooper as they're relationship got closer and closer. She was really wonderful with Cooper's sister, he nurturing nature was clear. It was obvious it was all going to come to an explosive head eventually. And of course it was going to drag in Charity and her feelings for Jeff as well.

This was a satisfying conclusion to this series. Everyone's found their place and are settled into their futures. This wasn't my favorite in the series, but it did wrap everything up nicely. Charity's relationship was a little rushed since it was combined into this story, but I would have hated her not getting her HEA if it hadn't been included.
Profile Image for Kennedy.
300 reviews17 followers
May 24, 2017
Guilty pleasure series. I've enjoyed every book. They aren't earth shattering but it's a fun and easy read. It's a fictional group of people I'd love to hang out with. Recommend when you want something quick and a little dirty. ;)
Profile Image for Doley.
125 reviews
August 31, 2017
The twin thing was fun and I love when Harley could let go, good end to a series I enjoyed reading.
563 reviews
July 3, 2018
Library Book. This was the worst book. I couldn't even finish it. The storyline was stupid (what little story it had).
Profile Image for Karen.
5,226 reviews54 followers
November 27, 2018
I loved the premise and how even though you thought book was over, a twist occurs.
It has a few dozen lessons or layers, which I also loved. Quite right!!
Profile Image for Marielle Authier.
570 reviews7 followers
June 2, 2019
**½
The first 4/5 (or so) were very good a solid ****½, but the totally non essential drama toward the end just ruined everything for me, I skimmed most of it *sigh*
Profile Image for ~ addy ~.
93 reviews
October 31, 2022
it was cute. i did not like the 90% breakup scene cause it was 100% there just cause the author needed the main couple to break up before getting together.

Profile Image for Jessica .
2,044 reviews13k followers
February 29, 2016
While I haven't read any of the seven books that come before Final Lap, I was definitely excited to see what Erin McCarthy had in store for us readers in her latest contemporary sports romance release. I've read some of her new adult books and really enjoyed them, so I couldn't wait to pick up Final Lap and see how things would heat up both on and off the race track…

Harley McLain is used to being the sensible, quiet twin while her sister Charity is the confident, sexy one who isn't afraid to put herself out there. But when Harley's crush and stock-car racer Cooper Brickman hits on her sister after telling Harley she's a motherly woman, Harley decides to switch places with her sister to gain some confidence for once and finally go after Cooper. After seducing Cooper and having the night of her life, the last thing Harley expects is for Cooper to hire her as the real Harley, not as the Charity he slept with, to nanny his 13-year-old sister. Harley can't say no to the money Cooper has to offer the position and soon finds herself becoming attached to Cooper and his sister, despite their dysfunctional relationship and struggle to understand each other. Cooper starts to fall for Harley's caring and subtle ways, but if he finds out that Harley deceived him on the night of the wedding, will he ever be able to forgive her?

From the start, I immediately connected with Harley's character and how she's always been the one to fly under the radar while her sister got all of the male attention from her confident and sexy demeanor. Harley has such a crush on Cooper but any time she tries to flirt, she fails miserably and has no idea how to gain that kind of attention from a man, let alone a man as hot and notorious as Cooper. Her one night with Cooper was definitely hot, but he has no idea he was with the sweet and safe Harley, not her firecracker twin sister. Little does he figure out that Harley is a firecracker herself. It was fun seeing Harley put herself out there with Cooper, only to pretend the entire night hadn't happened with her when she goes to work for Cooper. There was definitely a lot of drama and miscommunication in their relationship, as well as Charity's relationship with her own crush, that make this one a very entertaining read.

The romance and drama were awesome, but so was the whole plot line with Harley taking care of Cooper's sister. Mary Jane is definitely a wild thing herself and there is nothing more foreign to a 35-year-old male than a 13-year-old girl. Mary Jane's character was so interesting with her online shopping sprees (including purchasing a pet llama) and online fashion/gossip blog and I could definitely see how Cooper had no idea how to handler her. I loved how Harley really connected with Mary Jane as her nanny and helped Cooper attempt to have an actual relationship with his sister. The only thing I was missing in this book, though, was more of the sports storyline. We know that Cooper is a racer and he's constantly away at work, but we didn't really get any of the action of him actually in his element racing. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of sports in general, but I would have liked more detail of Cooper actually racing and Harley watching rather than summarized time going by where Cooper had been racing but was on to doing something else.

Overall, this book was just so much fun. I loved how Harley was a twin and how we got to see her close relationship with her sister, despite the fact that they were completely opposite kinds of people. The whole switching places plot line was the perfect engaging introduction to suck the reader into Harley's life. Cooper is so yummy and I loved seeing who Harley could tame such a notorious lady's man. While not as detailed in the sports plot line as I wanted it to be, Final Lap is a sweet romance that gives you a little drama and spice between a sweet girl and a stock-car driver who may have just find what he didn't even know he was looking for...
Profile Image for Sandy S.
6,296 reviews158 followers
October 16, 2014
4 stars

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date October 7, 2014

Switching into high gear……

……ready for a hot lap.

~~~~~

REVIEW: 4 stars--FINAL LAP is the eight and final installment in Erin McCarthy’s contemporary, adult Fast Track romance series focusing on the men and women of NASCAR. This is race car driver Cooper Brickman and Harley McLain-a woman Cooper hires to ‘nanny’ his younger sister-thirteen year old MaryJane. Although this is the eighth book in the series, it can be read as a stand alone without any difficulty; some of the previous storyline characters play secondary roles but any important information from the prior stories is imparted where necessary.

The premise follows Cooper and Harley’s building relationship-one that has been predicated on a bit of a lie. Having met both Harley and her flamboyantly identical twin sister Charity at a mutual friend’s wedding, Cooper found himself attracted to both sisters but with different intentions in mind. Charity is the sexy, in your face sister who goes for what she wants; Harley considers herself the more quiet and demure of the twins. After a one night stand with the woman he believed was Charity McLain, Cooper sets out to hire Harley as his sister’s live in nanny. What he never expected was to develop feelings for Harley- a woman who is all too familiar-but for reasons he is unable to understand. The twins had pulled a switch-a-roo and it was Harley to whom Cooper made love the night of the wedding.

Harley has had a crush on Cooper for a number of years but when his eye finds Charity, Harley is brokenhearted. Switching places with her twin finds Harley in bed Cooper knowing the man believes he is in bed with someone else. Harley and Cooper’s relationship begins on a professional level but our couple soon begin to develop feelings for one another. Cooper and Harley dance around one another for a good portion of the storyline knowing that eventually they will end up together-one way or another. Harley is the perfect nanny for Cooper’s younger sister but when Mary Jane’s mother comes back into the picture, words are said in anger when an offer is made that Harley cannot refuse.

The secondary characters include many of the previous storyline couples. There is a small side romance developing between Charity McLain and her boss Jeff Sterling. Cooper’s sister Mary Jane is a thirteen year old whose online blog reveals to the world everything and anything about the gossip side of racing. The world building continues with the race car circuit trials and events, as well as the comararderie between Cooper’s on track competition and fellow drivers.

With Final Lap Erin McCarthy brings the Fast Track series to an end. The wedding celebration and fund raisers see most if not all of the previous characters reunited for their final goodbye. With the next generation of family growing fast, who knows if Erin has made any decision about a spin off or if we have finally seen the end of the Fast Track drivers and the women they love.

Copy supplied by the publisher through Netgalley.

www.thereadingcafe.com
Profile Image for Deb Lester.
617 reviews19 followers
October 13, 2014
Erin McCarthy takes readers back to the track in her final Fast Track novel, Final Lap. Fans of the series will enjoy a last look into the lives of some of the previous characters in the series, as well as, a "switched" up romance that is sexy, funny and most importantly... hot! McCarthy does a fantastic job of showcasing the racing industry and keeps readers interested with a sweet romantic connection. A good final book to wrap things up with the series!

What I liked:

I wasn't sure I was going to go for the twins doing the whole switcheroo thing. But, fortunately Erin McCarthy knew what she was doing. I liked the fact that both sisters, Charity and Harley, were having issues with how they were being perceived. Harley wanted to be more sexy. She wanted to be seen as woman and Charity wanted to be taken seriously. How switching places for one night was going to bring that about, I wasn't too sure. It got the story rolling though, and I found it quite enjoyable.

Cooper had been Harley's racing idol for a long time and getting to talk to him at the wedding was supposed to be amazing, but he spent their time together obsessing over his issues with raising his kid sister and then hits on Harley's sister. Not exactly hero materiel in my mind, but he does redeem himself quite well. After Harley and Charity switch, Cooper ends up sleeping with Charity, who is really Harley. Are you lost yet? I didn't like him right off the bat, because he seemed a little irresponsible doing the one night stand thing, but after Harley goes to work for him as his sisters nanny, things start to get a little better.

Cooper begins to show signs that maybe he isn't this celebrity hot shot racer who gets what he wants when he wants it, including women. Readers start to see him as a guy who wants the best for his troubled sister, someone who is under a lot of pressure at home and on the track. When he starts having feelings for Harley that are based on more than just sex, he starts to grow on ya. And little by little I started to like him. It was nice to see how he treated Harley with such respect and dignity. How he cared for his sister and wanted to give her every chance he could. Not a bad hero, even if he started out as a real jerk.

Harley goes from being shy and timid with Cooper to really speaking her mind and trying to help him. As a live in nanny, she and Cooper start to spend a lot of time together and readers start to see a side to Harley that was not apparent in the beginning. She shows her spontaneous side, as well as, how much she genuinely cares about her job and Cooper's sister. I liked this different side to her. She had some spunk and she was still intelligent and thoughtful. A great character!

What I didn't like:

I wasn't sure one night of switching identities was going to change how either Harley or Charity felt about themselves. In fact I felt like in Harley's case it was probably a pretty bad idea. It did get the story headed in the direction the author was going and created a significant amount of conflict.

Bottom Line:

This was a pretty good book. The premise was probably a little far fetched, but if Coop didn't know either girl beforehand, and he was drinking, he might have mistaken them for each other. The sex was steamy as usual with an Erin McCarthy book and that was a plus. After I decided that Cooper wasn't a jerk and Harley was stronger than I first thought, the book took off and gave readers a sweet romance that ended the series on a good note.
Displaying 1 - 29 of 129 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.