Start by marking “If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tail” as Want to Read:
If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tail

If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tail

If you give in to temptation and give a bored little mouse your iPhone, even for ten minutes, he’s probably going to beam to some faraway place beyond time, space, and the sound of your pleading voice. And if he’s that far gone, he won’t have any idea what’s going on around him, and he might end up missing out on all the real fun.

From the New York Times-bestselling author
Published October 21st 2014 by Blue Rider Press

To ask other readers questions about If You Give a Mouse an iPhone, please sign up.
Kerrikoala It's a parody. It's not meant to add a negative take on children's literature. In fact, it's the opposite; kids should put down their electronics and …moreIt's a parody. It's not meant to add a negative take on children's literature. In fact, it's the opposite; kids should put down their electronics and notice the world around them, and/or read a book every once in a while. The parody books are likely meant to get kids interested in the original books. At the end of Goodnight iPad they are reading Goodnight Moon. How is that negative?(less)

Start your review of If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tail
Melki
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Yeah, I admit it's a pet peeve of mine, seeing someone surrounded by other people, friends, loved ones and strangers...yet, that person is oblivious to it all because they're staring down at a tablet or phone. The peeve morphs into pure ire when I see parents ignoring their children in favor of more important happenings online. As the mother of grown sons I can tell you - your kids are only there for a short while.

PAY ATTENTION TO THEM!

In this cautionary tale, a little mouse's total absorption
Bill
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A funny and effective warning about too much screen time.
Krissy
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-tristan
My son really enjoyed this. He especially loved that Applesauce was playing minecraft since that is one of my son's favorite games. We had a lot of fun with this book :)
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book book was such an cute fluffy read. I was so interested in the story and what happen if you give a mouse an iPhone. The book is for my niece for Christmas. It’s true the book, people get so involved in their phone they never pay attention to anything around them, not even a mouse. This book is fun for all ages even me. Happy Reading!!
Yvonne Mullen
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a fun twist on a very familiar book. I like the repetition of language for beginning to transitional readers. The story could easily be read to beginning readers and then they would be able to "read" the story back. That is how many students begin reading.

The story could easily be used for:
*teaching predictions
*using technology purposefully
*adding dialogue through speech bubbles (great way to teach k-2 student about *dialogue and then transition into using quotation marks)
*using different
PopcornReads
Book Review & Giveaway: Award-winning children’s picture book author and illustrator David Milgrim has a secret identity, Ann Droyd. But, ssssh, don’t tell anyone! In addition to his children’s books, David Milgrim wrote Siri & Me: A Modern Love Story. Ann Droyd has written a delightful bestselling parody, Goodnight iPad, and has just published a new tech parody, If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tale.

This is a very different book from the ones we normally review but I couldn’t resist
Adira
Parody of my favorite childhood book, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie and I absolutely loved it. I read it in the bookstore aisle, but would recommend it for the new age toddler who will probably be able to understand Mouse's struggles and adventure with astounding clearly. ...more
Jovita
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical! Unfortunately, it's reality. This is why I refuse to get a smart phone. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book.
Runa
Mar 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Ugh, technophobic book playing into the idea that kids become mindless when they're given "screen time" no thank youuuu!
Jeremy
Fun.
Lisa
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This demonstrates that you miss out on life when you are engrossed in screen time. Ann Droyd captures the essence of If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.
Rebecca McNutt
The fact that a book like this one even exists, makes me lose hope in humanity. Once again it's further proof that Generation X has become far too addicted and immersed in their stupid electronic toys - nowadays going so far as to use digital technology as a babysitter and spreading the disease to their children.

On the other hand, this book does still send a powerful message to parents who may be thinking of giving their children a Kindle, iPhone or whatever other new garbage they have out on t
Clacie
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love parodies. Even parodies of something that I love, so when I saw this parody of a fave story of 7 year old me, I picked it up right away. I really identified with the kid (basically me) in the story who just wanted his oblivious mouse Applesauce (basically any of my 4 kids) to get his nose out of his device for a while and enjoy what's happening around him. I read it to Jesse last night and the message may have been lost on him, who knows. He seemed to think about for a bit afterwards, whi ...more
❤Marie Gentilcore
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, first-reads
I was very happy to receive this nice hard back picture book from Goodreads First Reads. The kids (girl 8 and boy 9) and I read it today and they both gave it 5 stars! They each took a turn reading it and then I read it too. It is a parody of the "If you give a mouse a ..." books and it had a good message about the consequences of too much screen time. The illustrations were colorful and fun and the kids loved reading the character's speech bubbles as well as the story. 5 stars for all 3 of us.
Nancy Kotkin
Clever parody. I can't help wondering if the people who don't like this book are the same people I see glued to their phone while out with friends, crossing the street, DRIVING...

Personally I think this is a critically important message for today's electronically-saturated world. Very realistic how the mouse is initially given a time limit, but then the addiction takes over, causing him to lose control and common sense.
Jan Polep
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Perfect book for the baby to dead crowd...which means all of you. Put the phone down once in awhile or you will miss zoo animal escapes, fall in the sea, and wind up having a meltdown when you wind up on a desert island with no electricity. Play outside...read a book...lunch with friends...live a little. And check out the author's name.
Allison Hawn
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up while wandering around Hastings looking for Christmas gifts. This is a very cute spin on a children's classic ("If You Give a Mouse a Cookie").

I would highly suggest this book for parents wanting to explain to their kids why they shouldn't get a cell phone right away.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
I could not love this book more. It is a great story about how technology can take over and put children in a trance where they miss out on so much around them. I read this book to my boys and they also loved it. What a great spin on our new world of technology. 5 stars
kristen
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Fantastic! Everyone, please get off your iPhones and read this book :-)
Brittany
Sep 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was TOTALLY let down by this book. You can't just make me think it will be like the Laura Numeroff books and then drop the ball like that. Geez!
Jasmine Cardenas
Jan 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
What is this? Worse book ever
Steve Holden
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I spent September 22 enjoying a PD day at my school, and I attended a workshop of a colleague of mine who presented on digital citizenship. She ended her presentation with a list of books to be used with kids that promote digital citizenship and have a technology theme in them. She had some of the books on hand, and I enjoyed reading them. This will begin a run of a new theme for the remainder of my September books to catch up on!

This one is a hysterical parody of the classic tale, and it certai
Callie Ammons
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you give a mouse an iPhone is about a mouse who is given an iPhone to play with. It distracts him so much that he goes on crazy adventures without even realizing it. His owner talks to him and he doesn’t hear it. He even takes him on a surprise trip to an amusement park. The mouse is so caught up on the phone that he flew off of a roller coaster and gets taken by an alligator to the sea where he ends up on an island. When the phone battery finally dies, the mouse freaks and begs for a charger ...more
Erin
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is about a mouse who's friend gives him an iPhone for the day. Because the mouse is so engrossed in the phone, the mouse doesn't have any idea what is going on in the world around him. He doesn't hear a word that his friend says, he unknowingly helps animals escape from the zoo, and he eventually ends up on an island in the middle of the ocean; however, what happens when the battery dies?

This might be one of my new favorite children's books! I love that this book is so relevant to toda
Kelsey Rice
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
This book is about a mouse who plays on an iPhone so he will leave the boy alone. Once the mouse is on the iPhone, he has no idea what is going on around him and misses out on several things. The story keeps escalating until they are on a island by themselves. The phone ends up needing to be charged but the mouse does not know how he got to the island.

I thought this book was so accurate. I think a lot of the time we get on our phones and do not realize what is going on around us so we miss some
Braelyn Carwile
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
Bethany Corkran
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dr-smith-s-class
In this fiction picture book, Applesauce the mouse is given an iphone, just for ten minutes. He successfully ignores his surroundings, even when he is taken on an adventure! They go to a carnival, and he doesn't even realize that he is on a roller-coaster! He also falls off of the rollercoaster and ends up on a deserted island, where the iphone finally runs out of battery. He soon forgets all about it and finally has fun with his friend! I loved this story because of the message it brings to its ...more
Debra
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, picture-book
A oh-so-true tale of how you can miss out on things when you are glued to your iphone.
A take off on Laura Numeroff's "If you give a mouse a ....." Froyd moves us into the modern world with ipads and iphones. Just like the parents this boy gives his little mouse friend his iphone to keep him occupied while he makes himself lunch. It's only for 10 minutes!! But mouse will not surrender his phone and misses out on a well planned adventure to a zoo and the-best-nachos-ever. He is also unaware of the
Lauren Dooley
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is about a boy and his mouse named Applesauce. In the beginning of the story the mouse is annoying the boy with all of the things that he wants and needs, but the boy was busy and decided to let him play on his iPhone. This leads to a series of events that causes a lot of things to go wrong. In the end, the iPhone dies and he forgets everything that had happened to him and only cares about enjoying time with his owner. This book is hilarious. I loved it and I know that a young classroo ...more
Gretchen
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A parody on the very popular "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" series, this book looks at the obsession that so many kids, and probably an equal amount of adults, have with their digital phone. They are so lost in the digital world they forget to look at the real world and experiences around them. I myself have witnessed many a dinner out in a restaurant when I look over at another table and no one is talking to anyone, they are all simply looking at and interacting with their phones. Yes, digital ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • Chicken Clicking
  • Mount Olympus Basketball
  • If You Give a Mouse a Brownie
  • Nerdy Birdy Tweets (Nerdy Birdy, #2)
ANN DROYD is the author of Goodnight iPad, and is also the pseudonym for David Milgrim, an IRA/CBC Children’s Choice winner who has written and illustrated more than twenty-five picture books for young readers, as well as Siri & Me. Milgrim, who studied graphic design at Parsons, lives with his family in Massachusetts. ...more

News & Interviews