Start by marking “The Legend of Sleepy Harlow (League of Literary Ladies #3)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Sleepy Harlow (League of Literary Ladies #3)

The Legend of Sleepy Harlow

(League of Literary Ladies #3)

It takes more than a lurid legend to scare off the League of Literary Ladies…

For Halloween, the Literary Ladies have chosen to read Washington Irving’s spooky classic, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, with its infamous headless horseman. But South Bass Island has its own headless legend—of a Prohibition bootlegger named Charlie “Sleepy” Harlow. Decapitated by rival rumrunners
Published October 7th 2014 by Berkley

James
3 stars to Kylie Logan's The Legend of Sleepy Harlow, the third in the "League of Literary Ladies" series about a woman who moves to the midwest to open a B&B after some mysterious troubles in NYC. Since this is a good Halloween ghost story that ties together an incident from 300 years ago to the present on quiet South Bass Island on the Great Lakes, it's worth a read, but I needed a little more complexity in the story to push it up to a 4.

Story
A supernatural ghost hunting group who call t
Jonathan
Really this is a very good "new" cozy-mystery series that I hope will continue for awhile.

I really love the characters Bea, Chandra, Luella, and Kate. They are all different but so much fun. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the things Chandra said and nodding in agreement at other times to Luella. I also loved that the tension between Levi and Bea was resolved in this book, I found it kind of tiring.

The only really bad part in this book was the end. I felt that the killer was kinda o
Tari
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a perfect slightly-spooky cozy for the Halloween season. I am not a fan of really spooky stories or horror, so books like this suit me just fine when I'm in the mood for some Halloween reading.

Bea had a B&B full of ghost hunters that were looking for the ghost of Charlie "Sleepy" Harlow, a rum runner from prohibition days. The leader of the group, Noreen, supposedly had footage of him from last year, and they wanted to include it on their reality ghost hunting series. Since no one
Melodie
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Calling this one 3.5 stars. I like this series okay, but I don't love it. This one was better than the 2nd, which is good. I like the Halloween time frame and Sleepy's side story was good. I just don't care much about Bea one way or the other. And Levi is still too much of an enigma. Give us a little more info on him, already! I'll read the next one of these, but if it's not a whole lot better, and there's not some more information on Levi, don't know if I'll continue after that.
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
It's almost Halloween time and the Literary Ladies of South Bass Island, had chosen to read the spooky classic The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. But even South Bass Island carries its own legend of a headless Prohibition bootlegger named Charley Sleepy Harlow who possibly comes out on Halloween searching for his treasure.

When EGG (Elkhart Ghost Getters) show up at Bea's B and B to film yet another episode for their show. The leader has only one mission and that's to enter Kate Wilder's winery and get
LORI CASWELL
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
Dollycas’s Thoughts

That darn Jerry Garcia, Chandra’s cat, would be on his 9th life if he lived around me – but he does give this story quite a start.

That is until the EGG (Elkhart Ghost Getters) show up with all their ghost busting and filming equipment. That is when we find out about The Legend of Sleepy Harlow. We also find out this is NOT the EGG’s first visit to South Bass Island and everyone is not happy about their return. In fact Kate is screaming mad they are back in town but would she
Ronna
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Books written around other books are some of my favorite reading. In this third book of the League of Literary Ladies Mysteries, the book fits right into the season, as they are reading The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow. These ladies were first brought together by court order because they couldn't stop bickering and verbally fighting with one another. They began a book group and now that they've also solved a couple of murders in their town, they are great close friends.

Their town has it's own legenda
Dharia Scarab
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing

4 sta
Cari
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: the author is a friend, and she was kind enough to give me a copy after I helped her Skype with a few book groups at my library. I was so pleased to receive this title along with Death by Devil's Breath (from the Chili Con Carnage series). I loved this book! I love the main character, Bea, and the Halloween exploits along with the ghost hunters in the story make it perfect for the season. You'll want to read all the books in the series - they don't have to be read in order, but ...more
Kimberly
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 75-books-in-2017
Fantastic cozy!
I had not read any previous books in the series, so as a standalone for me, it was just fine. I didn't feel I was missing anything as the author did a great job filling you in when appropriate. Just enough info each time and not dragging it out.
I loved the town, its people and the amateur murder investigation.
I would love to read more in the series!
This was a great Halloween read!
Sheila
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun read in homage to The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. I liked the bootlegging angle in the mystery. I also enjoyed finding the "truth" behind the ghost hunters. I did not see who the murderer was until the end when it was explained. I love these ladies and Jerry Garcia. A perfect read for these cold nights.
Gail
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the cozy mystery story and the headless ghost. I have always enjoyed the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and enjoyed all the referrals to it in the book. I am really getting to know the Literary Ladies and they are a fun loving group of ladies that trouble seems to find.
Janet Schaffner
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun read - - ghost hunters, a headless ghost and a murder - - who dunnit?
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Ghost story lovers really want to find a legend that is real. None so much as the EGG-heads. A reality based group on television has returned to South Bass Island, north of Ohio, to try and recapture the apparition they caught the year before...The headless Sleepy Harlow.

Staying at Bea & Bees, Bea's bed and breakfast, the team is pretty overwhelming. Not just the overbearing head of the group but even the poor overlooked intern that has to stay at neighboring Chandra's house.

The League of Li
Mystereity Reviews
A great seasonal read, a murder, ghost hunters, a headless ghost, a devious cat and Chandra. Halloween in a nutshell!

It was difficult to rate this one, so I'll settle on 3.5 stars. This one was on par with the first book of the series, once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. Light and entertaining, there's just something irresistible with this series.

The plot wanders a bit in the middle or so, especially the secondary plot (which I guess isn't so secondary, since it takes most of the book.
❂ Jennifer
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent! Still not as good as the first book, but an excellent read nonetheless. I thought the murderer was telegraphed early on, so in spite of a large number of suspects, the reveal wasn't a surprise. But the sub-plot involving Sleepy Harlow's life more than made up for any deficiencies in the murder plot. My only real complaint is the author is being too stingy with Levi's details. I appreciate stringing out the tension, but it's going to backfire if there aren't some satisfying details sha ...more
Kim
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun Halloween read. Wonderful contemporary of Sleepy Hollow. I usually read Sleepy Hollow every Halloween but this year I read Sleepy Harlow. I really loved this spin on the classic tale.
Alise HARRIS
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: halloween
I'll give this 3 stars since it was about Halloween, but other than that I wasn't impressed. The main character is a major chump. A neighbor's cat pees on a manuscript she's proofreading, so she decides to completely rewrite the book on her own instead of telling her. It's not her fault it got ruined and that the idiot didn't save a backup.
Kelly
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better and better. I absolutely adore the setting and characters. They feel so so vivid and real me. The mystery is personal to the League of Literary Ladies since Kate is the main suspect. The mystery also reveals the history behind one of their legends, which adds another unique touch to the story.
Diana Petty-stone
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A cat named Jerry Garcia, 3 women who were sentenced to form a book group because they could not get along and a headless ghost. Did I mention they are reading The Legend of Sleep Hollow?
Amanda
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fun book in this series. Even though the ladies weren't reading Agatha Christie in this book, the ending was Poirotesque in nature. Again, the story partially mirrored they book they are reading, so the island has a "headless" ghost of a dead gangster/bootlegger. Nice surprise to Sleepy's story at the end. The moral is - chasing fame can get you killed.
Jessica Robbins
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Vilia
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
This review was originally posted on Backchatting Books

The League of Literary Ladies have picked the classic tale The Legend of Sleepy Hollow to read and life soon starts to imitate art with the South Bass Island equivalent, bootlegger Charlie "Sleepy" Harlow making his presence felt. Bea Cartwright gets drawn into the drama when a particularly unpleasant member of the Elkhart Ghost Getters (EGG) gets herself murdered and fellow literary lady, Kate, becomes a suspect.

The emphasis is very squarel
Anam Cara
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Another delightful book by Kylie Logan.

This time the group is reading the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and so of course, there is a headless ghost!

It is close to Halloween and the Elkhart Ghost Getters (EGG) are on the island in search of the ghost of Sleepy Harlow who was beheaded in 1930. Sleepy had run liquor from Canada to Ohio during Prohibition and gotten on the wrong side of organized crime and was beheaded. The EGG group is staying at Bea's B & B after having come to the island a year bef
Amee.21
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I like this series, I follow them but truth be told I haven't fallen in love with them.

I really liked the first book it was really entertaining. This book kinda hit a plateau as far as the life of the characters beyond the actual mystery. Chandra is still umm... quirky and slightly certified insane; Bea host's the enemy unknowingly, is still awkwardly denying a relationship/mutual attractions to Levi and says she won't but will solve a case ;Kate is still her lovely self although she goes throu
Skeetor
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozies
This is the third installment for the "League of Literary Ladies" series. I enjoyed the first in the series, Mayhem at the Orient Express, and got the next two based upon that experience. I was not as thrilled with the second, A Tale of Two Biddies and this one. I suppose I miss the humorous bickering between the book club characters. Also, the plots in the second two were a lot more predictable. However, I still do like the premise of the book club’s selection and the mystery being connected s ...more
Susan
The new guests at Bea's bed and breakfast turn out to be ghost hunters, who are looking for sightings of Put in Bay's most famous gangster, Charles "Sleepy" Harlow, killed and beheaded in 1930. When the bossy, control freak Noreen, leader of the ghost hunters, is murdered, Bea's friend Kate is one of the leading suspects. Meanwhile, Bea is trying to salvage a manuscript given to her to proofread after the neighborhood cat --um--has an all-too-deliberate accident on the sole copy. The topic: None ...more
Maryellen
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
The Elkhart Ghost Getters are back on Put-in-Bay much to the horror of the islanders. This doesn't
Deter their nasty leader,Noreen. Hellbent on finding the ghost of headless Sleepy Harlow it is Noreen who turns up dead. Fun read with some interesting twists. Bea, the headstrong owner of Bea and Bees, is a solid character. There were a few things that bothered me about repetitiveness and over sharing that I didn't give it four stars. But I would read more of the series for the main character. For
chrisa
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I kind of enjoyed this book. The ghost hunting aspect at Halloween was fun, and I love seasonal mysteries.

I did have a few quibbles. The idea that she could reconstruct an academic manuscript and Marianne wouldn't notice was absurd. Also, I thought it was pretty sleazy that she went into the rooms of her guests looking for things and then later put cameras into their rooms. I found all of that a bit problematic. The ends don't justify the means IMHO.

Lastly, I thought the dramatic reveal at an i
Kathleen
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
An excellently crafted mystery. The author does a great job with the primary plot but also keeps a number of minor plots going as well, keeping the reader fully entertained. Great humor throughout the book, especially about Jerry Garcia (who provides a very unique and amusing opening to a mystery!), while also debunking many popular ghost-buster TV shows along the way (without debunking the possibilities of ghosts).
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Wolfe Widow (Book Collector Mystery #3)
  • Stirring the Plot (Cookbook Nook Mystery, #3)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Night of the Living Thread (Threadville Mystery #4)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Mewer (Paws and Claws Mystery, #2)
  • Cover Story (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery, #3)
  • Death By Pumpkin Spice (Bookstore Cafe Mystery, #3)
  • The Spook in the Stacks (Lighthouse Library Mystery #4)
  • Death Is Like a Box of Chocolates (A Chocolate Covered Mystery #1)
  • We Wish You a Murderous Christmas (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery #2)
  • A Batter of Life and Death (A Bakeshop Mystery, #2)
  • Cat Among the Pumpkins
  • Well Read, Then Dead (A Read 'Em and Eat Mystery, #1)
  • The Candy Cane Cupcake Killer (Fresh-Baked Mystery, #10)
  • Death of a Pumpkin Carver (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #8)
  • The Purrfect Halloween Prank (Beatrice Young Cozy Cat Mysteries, #4)
  • Cat With a Clue (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #5)
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
A pseudonym used by Constance Laux.

League of Literary Ladies (5 books)
  • Mayhem at the Orient Express (League of Literary Ladies, #1)
  • A Tale of Two Biddies  (League of Literary Ladies #2)
  • And Then There Were Nuns (League of Literary Ladies #4)
  • Gone with the Twins (League of Literary Ladies #5)
“Chandra shivered and the witch on the front of her sweater did the hoochie-koochie.” 0 likes