Start by marking “Invincible Days” as Want to Read:
Invincible Days

Invincible Days

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This collection of short stories forms a singular narrative that reveals the tiny moments when you realize you are at the precious end-days of youth. Calling on memories from his own childhood as well as those gathered from friends and family, author and artist Patrick Atangan’s work blends stories with strong psychological elements and insight with simple artwork evocativ ...more
Published September 1st 2014 by NBM Publishing (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Invincible Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invincible Days

Lola
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a collection of short stories, with animal-shaped characters that meditate on childhood, family, friendship and loss. It’s wonderfully-honest and bittersweet.

It also puts you in such a quiet, nostalgic mood. I read it slowly, because I couldn’t imagine rushing through the stories. Blasphemy! As I read it, I kept thinking of my own childhood.

I’ve said it before, but I’m actually an immigrant. I was not born in Canada. So, like the characters in this book, there are things I went through a
Peter Derk
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Don't read this if you're contemplating your own death.

But maybe you're like me and kind of think about that all the time anyway since you were like 5, so I guess you'll just have to read it on a day when you're feeling pretty alright.

It's a really great book, and I like how it mixes personal and other peoples' stories. Also, adorable animals in place of people really provides an interesting answer to the oft-discussed issues of representation in comics.
David Schaafsma
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Filipino American artist Atangan has done a lot to advance Western understanding of Asian worlds, including Chinese, Japanese, and Indian, work on myth and history, all collected in a series called Songs of Our Ancestors, all done with a meticulous classical Asian style, informed by his own personal touch. This volume of short stories are based in Atangan's own life and drawn about stories friends have told him, but not done in any classical format but instead with cute little animals representi ...more
Robin
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and bittersweet...the stories about his grandmother especially resonated with me.
Andrea Mullarkey
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
This is the best thing I have read in a very, very long time. I was attracted to it immediately for its sweet Sanrio-style drawings with a pastel color palette and infantilized animal protagonists. I picked it up off my colleague's desk wondering what a teen librarian was doing with a little kid's book. But then she told me a bit about it: a book she had ordered for teen but decided was far too mature and so it was getting reclassified into the adult section. She described it as "sad" or "dark" ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lovely collection of vignettes by the author of his memories, mostly of his childhood in the eighties. Though the author presents as a Catholic Asian immigrant, the tales can, for the most part, be nostalgic to anyone who remembers the complexities of being a child. These vignettes are often bittersweet and there is a morose air throughout the book especially when midway the topics start to focus on the stroke and eventual death of his 97 year old grandmother. In fact death is a main theme thr ...more
Alicia
An odd combination of childish and mature, Atangan tells the story of his childhood and the loss of childhood through animal characters and situations that his friends shared and he remembers. I admit it's not the easiest to follow at times with a tiny font size and light pastels for colors, but the idea of the story is a bit dark though explores life in a 'thinking out loud' sort of way.

Thoughtful but odd.
Jason
I can't remember if this is a collection of stories that were previously published or not. It might be that some of the repetition of certain themes leaves the impression that each story was meant to stand on its own as opposed to as part of a whole. I enjoyed its originality (the use of different cute animals was interesting) and it dealt honestly with serious subjects and was enlightening in how it portrayed being a child from another culture in America.
Kim
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute animals are used to write about some realistic stories, mostly about the experiences of the author, of Filipino descent, and of others of diverse backgrounds. Some of the topics aren't pretty, but they are definitely realistic.
Cristen
There were some poignant bits, and the art was well done, but overall it felt more like a collection of comic strips than a fluid grahpic novel.
Ava
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Melancholy and beautiful. Not what I had expected.
Loren