Start by marking “Danielle Walker's Against All Grain: Meals Made Simple: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Paleo Recipes to Make Anytime” as Want to Read:

Beloved food blogger and New York Times bestselling author Danielle Walker is back with over 100 new Paleo recipes in her sophomore cookbook, Meals Made Simple—a collection of gluten-free, dairy-free, and Paleo-friendly recipes for easy weeknight meals.

Diagnosed with an autoimmune disease at twenty-two, Danielle Walker spent many years in and out of the hospital and on hig
Published September 2nd 2014 by Victory Belt Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Danielle Walker's Against All Grain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danielle Walker's Against All Grain

Start your review of Danielle Walker's Against All Grain: Meals Made Simple: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Paleo Recipes to Make Anytime
Jessica
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love the EIGHT weeks of meal plans... done and shopping lists created for you. She also gives you all sorts of simple tidbits on making things ahead. It's super helpful for this mama who wants it simple and doesn't want to spend a lot of time on prep but still wants to feed good, nutritious, and tasty food to her family.

I borrowed this from the library... as soon as I return it I will be purchasing it again as I want to try more recipes and want to add some to my seasonal rotations.

Another gre
Abbey
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. However, a lot of the recipes involved making food that looks like our western diet, i.e. pancakes, waffles made with alternative flours. I understand the comfort in this but it seems so difficult. if I decide to try a paleo diet I will just stick to lean meats, nuts, fruit and vegetables. No sense in making it difficult. This book has plenty of those recipes too.
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've made about half the recipes in this cookbook and every single one has been a hit. Current favorites and rotations in our meal plan: white pork chili, Italian Wedding soup, pesto stuffed prosciutto chicken, chicken tikka masala, chipotle barbacoa, smoky roasted sweet potatoes.

This is my go-to cookbook for gluten, dairy, grain free recipes. Her website is also fantastic.
Claire Sheats
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve already added this to my shopping cart because I can tell it’s going to be a helpful resource. Danielle is like my soul sister. In this book, she provides 8 weeks of meal planning and grocery lists to match, and her recipes look really delicious. She also gives cheat sheets, label reading advice, and dietary restriction guides! Because Paleo is so similar to Whole30, I’ll be able to use a lot of these.
April Mayer
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book. Though I read on kindle, I will be purchasing the hardcover version and placing it on my cookbook shelf. Can’t wait to try more recipes.
Meghan
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Made carrot cake cupcakes, pineapple chicken lettuce burger wraps, spice-rubbed sweet potatoes, and BLT salads with cherry tomatoes.
Jenny Kage
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truly exceptional recipes. I was somewhat depressed when I learned that I needed to eliminate gluten from my diet. Danielle's recipes gave me hope that delicious meals were still attainable even with a limited diet. The quality of recipes is reminiscent of America's Test Kitchen, which is my favorite culinary resource. Must-try recipes include White Pork Chili, Peruvian-style Chicken, Chipotle Barbacoa, Slow Cooker Thai Beef Stew, Mexican Burgers, Greek Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce, Maple-Di ...more
Johanna
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Better layout and organization compared to the first one. 👌🏻 I still can't use most of the recipes in here until I am farther out from my UC flare, but I hope to be able to use many of them soon! Lots of very manageable, delicious-looking options!
Vicky Shea
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
By far my favorite cookbook of all time! Almost every single recipe is fantastic. I love this book. It has flags with "Yummy" written in it numerous times.
Stephanie
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Fantastic recipes! My son called me a Master Chef after eating the Thai beef over cauliflower.
Carolyn
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
When I was about 8 years old, my doctor recommended that I go on a wheat, dairy, chocolate and sugar free diet to see if it would help my allergies and overall health. Maybe eggs too, I don't remember. Back then, that meant goats milk (which was just AWFUL!), I don't know what kind of alternative flour, carob (nothing like chocolate! especially without sugar) and honey, which was fine. It was particularly awful for me because there were several birthdays that fell in the time frame. Mom tried re ...more
Cindy
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While I have not made every single recipe in this book due to different food allergies and taste preferences, I have tried a lot and have enjoyed just about all of them! My favorites in this book thus far are the Peruvian-Style Chicken, Garlic-Herb Chicken Thighs, Pesto-Stuffed Prosciutto Chicken, Hawaiian Chicken Burgers, Ginger Chicken and Broccoli, Mexican Burgers, and her pesto sauce. I have made them multiple times for multiple families and they all rave about them! One thing I absolutely L ...more
Gleave_girl
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Contains lots of good recipes, but the majority of them contain large amounts of almond flour. While I enjoy baking with almond flour, I personally feel that large amounts of it consistently is not the best. I prefer to use a variety of different flours while baking. Most people who are utilizing gluten-free baking are doing so because of a health problem or food intolerance. Obsessively using only one type of flour, like almond flour, for all your gluten-free recipes, can actually lead to food ...more
Elaine
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danielle-walker
I bought the kindle edition and really couldn't get into it. I recently purchased both of her books. They are really nice books! I recently made buffalo chicken salad and it was amazing. My daughter had picked out the recipe and I didn't even think I would like it that much. I didn't have time to do it in a crock pot but I did follow her directions. I made it in a pressure cooker. (Instant Pot) I cooked it for 20 minutes and it was so good! I also made her Ranch Dressing. I had previously made R ...more
Kelsie
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I've made about four recipes from this book so far and they have all been delicious! My husband and I are doing a "30-day get back on track after the holidays" challenge and are following a mostly-paleo diet. We've both been feeling so much better that I can see this lasting long past 30 days.

I have been pleasantly surprised that we have both really enjoyed everything we've made out of here and I'm looking forward to trying more of her recipes. I originally checked this book out from my library
Coral
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Switching to a gluten and dairy free diet has been at times overwhelming and frustrating, but this book actually makes it simple. Included in this book is an eight week menu plan with a shopping list. I am no longer spending hours searching for recipes and creating menu plans--this book takes the guesswork out of cooking!

To see my full review, go to: http://www.thereadingretreat.com/2014...
Hoot
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I like to be as gluten and dairy free as possible but I am also low carb. If you need low carb options this is not the cook book for you.
Evelyn
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A helpful addition if you're trying to cook gluten free or paleo. I haven't tried any recipes, but I think I will. Many of them looked quite good.
Crystal
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
My teen daughter and I both enjoyed this book. She used it to help build a 4-H presentation on gluten-free eating, demonstrating how to make a bread recipe featured in this book, and she won silver at state competition two years ago. Great book with really delicious recipes, especially to be gluten free. The recipes are more expensive and time-consuming, but we found the recipes more enjoyable than most gluten-free recipes. Dietary restrictions don’t mandate us eating strictly gluten-free, but w ...more
Katy Emanuel
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great cookbook for any family kitchen. So many great recipes in this book and it is one we come back to weekly for meals.

My youngest his absolute favourite recipe from this book is the Chicken, bacon and butternut squash salad.

The stroganoff was great and we will sometimes make it with stewing beef instead and it turns out great.

The Thai beef stew was a big hit, this one I hadn't been sure how my kids would feel about it but this is one meal they do ask to add to our menu on a regular basis
Whitney
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, cookbooks
I have a ton of food allergies and I hate cooking - this book makes me hate cooking less, which is the highest praise I can give a cookbook. I am seriously picky, and there hasn't been a bad recipe yet. I'm obsessed with the chicken and "rice" (riced cauliflower) casserole, and the roasted chicken with thyme gravy. The casserole is the first "comfort food" type meal I have had in ages, and it's super healthy. Highly recommend.
Kyrie Ele
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Very meh. There were only a few recipies that stood out to me as worth trying however the majority are recipes that can be easily found online.
I will say that these recipes don't call for specialised kitchen equipment or fancy gadgets, your spice rack won't be heavily used and she does provide recipes that consider a multitude of eating programs and provides substitutions where possible but damn, this cookbook was...insipid.
Amy
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are many great recipes in this book. I however, didn't find a lot of main dishes that I could use based on dietary restrictions as: I do not eat seafood, cannot have chicken, nightshades or grains due to inflammatory markers. There still were some other amazing recipes in this book, that I think most of you will find helpful and delicious. Looking forward to making some Strawberry Rhubarb crisp, and Rosemary-lemon pork chops! Yum!
MrsMJ
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very informative and includes great staple recipes, made from basic ingredients rather than specialty ingredients. They look flavorful and amazing! I love that everything is dairy free and all-natural. I like the quick reference shopping guides and all the tips throughout the book. I like that many of the recipes overlap in a way that allows minimal meal prep for a variety of dishes. I love the photos! I look forward to trying the many recipes!
Melissa Cochran
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to give this a higher review, but the recipes I tried off and left the vegetables under cooked. She makes an effort to use the same ingredient over multiple meals, but I can’t experiment with a new meal every night so some of my ingredients were going bad before I could use the rest of it. Other than that, I love the motivation of the authors story overcoming the fatigue from her ulcerative colitis. I believe it and trying things till we find what works.
Tami Barrett
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall this is a really good cookbook. It is too intense for me as I follow a Keto lifestyle and this goes far beyond that being dairy free. Many of the recipes sounded really good, but I would be adding Keto allowed ingredients to "liven" them up to my liking. The reason for only 3 stars is the recipes do not have a nutritional breakdown of calories, fat, carbs, fiber, etc. making it extremely difficult/impossible to track macronutrients or calories.
Janine Snyder
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first paleo cookbook I bought it and I love it. I still use it and really appreciate the ease of the recipes, their deliciousness that appeals to Paleo and non-Paleo alike. And she provides nutritional info for each recipe which is something most other Paleo cookbook authors are loathe to do for some stupid reason. This a great cookbook.
Stephanie Kinsey
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
There are several good recipes in this book. The minestrone soup, modified to be vegetarian, is one of my favorites. Also good staples like taco seasoning or pesto sauce. I don't use the meal planning or all of the parts about stocking a pantry. The index is set up such that it takes several pages of the book.
Diane Fogel
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We've been eating gluten free and working toward Paleo for some time. Finding recipes to work into our menus can be challenging at times. My main problem is what's for supper tonight? We are at the point where Sunday and Thursday night is chicken. Tuesday and Friday night is pork chop night. That leaves Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Sometimes its nice to have the four nights a week I don't have to think, others times I need a change. This book offers me a few other ideas, even if its just side ...more
Alexis DeJonge
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Danielle Walker's recipes are always good and amazingly for me, always turn out. She is how I got my husband to agree to eating more of a paleo style diet. Now, if I have made something my hubby really likes, he always ask me if it is one of her recipes :)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans
  • The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom
  • Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • Ready or Not!: 150+ Make-Ahead, Make-Over, and Make-Now Recipes by Nom Nom Paleo
  • The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
  • The Whole30 Cookbook: 150 Delicious and Totally Compliant Recipes to Help You Succeed with the Whole30 and Beyond
  • Well Fed 2: More Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • The Whole30 Slow Cooker: 150 Totally Compliant Prep-and-Go Recipes for Your Whole30 — with Instant Pot Recipes
  • I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook
  • Cook Once, Eat All Week: 26 Weeks of Gluten-Free, Affordable Meal Prep to Preserve Your Time & Sanity
  • The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor
  • The 21-Day Sugar Detox: Bust Sugar & Carb Cravings Naturally
  • The Paleo Kitchen: Finding Primal Joy in Modern Cooking
  • Hashimoto's Protocol: A 90-Day Plan for Reversing Thyroid Symptoms and Getting Your Life Back
  • Real Life Paleo: 175 Gluten-Free Recipes, Meal Ideas, and an Easy 3-Phased Approach to Lose Weight & Gain Health
  • Eat the Yolks: Discover Paleo, Fight Food Lies, and Reclaim Your Health