Start by marking “The Sleuth Sisters (The Sleuth Sisters Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sleuth Sisters (The Sleuth Sisters Mysteries, #1)

The Sleuth Sisters

(The Sleuth Sisters Mysteries #1)

In this cozy mystery, the first of a series, middle-aged sisters Faye and Barb decided to open a detective agency in Allport, their small town in northern Lower Michigan. They agree that Retta, their baby sister, will NOT be included, since she tends to take over any organization she's part of. Sweetly but firmly, Retta will tell you what you should do, could do, and will ...more
Published February 19th 2014 by Gwendolyn Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sleuth Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sleuth Sisters

Maria
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-mystery
I was surprised that I really enjoyed this book. It was a Kindle freebie, which usually results in books that are three stars or less. But this one I liked on all counts:
1. The characters were believable and not helpless morons. The sisters each had their own distinct personalities, and since I have two sisters, I know how that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. The male characters were believable, too, with distinct personalities.Some likeable, some not. They were fleshed-out, and not just
P.J. Coldren
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't know when "nice" became the kiss of death, but it's a nice mystery. Enough romance to be real, enough violence to be authentic, enough "who done it" to be satisfying, and characters that made me laugh, and reminded me that I am not the only person in the world to feel a particular emotion. I live almost in the part of Michigan where this story takes place, and Ms. Pill has a great sense of what it takes to describe this area in a way that makes it real without ma ...more
Carol Piner
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Maggie Post has knocked "The Sleuth Sisters right out of the park! The anxiety-ridden readers of most mysteries can settle back in their chairs and learn the art of a well paced novel about these not-quite, but nearing, geriatric sisters.

Barb, the grounded well enough to be buried, is the level headed one of the three. Faye, the sometimes uncertain but always surprising one, just keeps on keeping on. 'Retta is the social butterfly of this heart warming group. Rory, the new Chief of Police is the
Tamsyn J
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy books like this, you know, small towns...drama dram DRAMA!! It was really good. Maggie captures the sister dynamic perfectly and she gets you wanting certain things for the characters but she goes against the grain and it just reads like real life...well with that touch of drama of course and bordering the point of "could that really happen to me"?? And OMG there is more!!! I was most delighted when I got to the end of my Kindle and saw there were preview chapters of the next book ...more
Nancy Satterlee
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A FUN BOOK

THE STORY OF THE RELATIONSHIP AND DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE SISTERS MADE THIS AN ENJOYABLE READ. I AM ALMOST EXPECTING BARB TO CORRECT THIS. GOOD LIGHT MYSTERY WITH HUMOR.
Ishtar
La verdad es que lo he disfrutado, al principio parece un poco lento pero se animó enseguida y la última mitad la he devorado. Desde luego voy a leer el segundo libro de estas curiosas hermanas detectives.
Burke Hodgson
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Too good to be considered a cozy. The sisters, though of cozy age are sharp, grumpy, don't much like each other, and have little if any sense of humor. There isn't a whiff of spunk, impetuosity, or cutesy-poo within 50 miles of this excellent mystery.
Cheryl A Rose
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Fun adventure

Took me a bit to get into, but enjoyed. The first person way of telling the story was good. I would read more of these :)
Kathy
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun interesting book to read. Each of the three sisters has her own individual quirks and personality.
Even so, they meshed when mysterious occurrences arose. Together they solved a cold case, even getting themselves into a predicament or two. A little budding romance popped into the story as well! Book was hard to put down, as it kept you interested.
Sharon
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
An enjoyable book about the formation of a detective agency run by three very different sisters and their first case.
John
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
I suppose this one might qualify as chick-lit, although I could easily see a similar story featuring three brothers with the same family dynamics. At first, I didn't really care for the youngest sister, Retta, much at all; she seemed as though she did get far in using her looks. Barb, the oldest, came off as a tad cold, although she had her moments. As the book went on, I did feel for the middle sister, Faye, having to play "double agent" with both Barb (in terms of keeping Retta from officially ...more
FangirlNation
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
In Sleuth Sisters by Maggie Pill, Faye longs for some excitement in her life, so she convinces her older sister, Barbara, now retired, to partner with her in creating The Smart Detective Agency. The two turn down their first two prospective cases: someone convinced her "missing" brother has been kidnapped and brainwashed by Congress and a man afraid of the aliens who have infiltrated his possessions and clothing. So they are thrilled when a real case finally comes their way. A young woman wants ...more
Pam
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Sleuth Sisters is by Maggie Pill. It is a private investigator mystery and it is comical in parts. I liked it.
Barbara has moved back to Allpoint, Michigan and purchased a house that used to be apartments. She is changing it back to a one family home; but it is taking time. She is in no hurry to finish this or to find a job. She left her position as Assistant DA and her law practice. She wanted to experience more. Her sister Faye lives nearby with her invalid husband. She also wants somethin
Missi Stockwell
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Who says there is an age limit on being a detective or you cant be a woman ? Not the Smart Detective Agency or the new police chief. Sisters Faye (who is 50) and Barb (being 52) decide to try their hands at being sleuths. After some failed attempts at obtaining a real case they find themselves being hired to work a 6 year old cold case. They are asked to find a woman's brother who just happens to have disappeared after his pregnant wife and brother-in-law are found dead. And if that isnt the wor ...more
Connie
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was free for the Kindle. It is also the first book I have read by Maggie Pill.

I had a hard time with keeping the sisters straight even though each chapter was well marked in the beginning. Perhaps if the name of the sister at the top of each page would have helped. I am not sure, but the point of view changing all the time seemed tedious.

I liked the story and the way it developed and I believe it definitely falls in the cozy category. If this was a first book, then I would be intereste
Donna
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific book. The sisters are middle-aged, which is a nice change of pace. They all have their quirks and sometimes drive each other crazy but there is no doubt how much they love each other. The story flows easily with just the right amount of twists and turns. There is a potential love interest for one of the sisters. Nice to see attraction without sex on the first date. The relationship builds slow but steady. I have already bought the second book: 3 Sleuths, 2 Dogs, 1 Murder
Denise
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
'The Sleuth Sisters' is a funny and cute mystery. I enjoyed the storyline. The way it played out was interesting. The characters were great. Barb is definitely a strong lead. I liked her grammar correcting trysts, too funny. Faye is a sweet woman, but won't hold back if she's threatened. Retta is just plain funny. I love how she thinks she's helping. This was a cute story. I look forward to reading the next book. A good add for your tbr list.
Shelley Giusti
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love this book! The story was great and witty. The Sleuth Sisters by Maggie Pill was laugh out loud funny. The story was great and Faye and Barbara will win your heart. So when they open their own Detective agency, and a murder takes place, things get heated and they must find out who did it before it i to late. This book was sent to me by Maggie and I am so glad she did. It will brighten your day and make you laugh as you tag along with the sister to solve the case.
C-shaw
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Freebie Amazon Kindle book through the BookBub.com website. It's a great site for free and cheap book downloads!!
* * * * *
This was a very good P.I. murder mystery. The "sleuth sisters" were likeable and not caricatures and, although I figured out whodunnit, it wasn't a no-brainer.

Yay!! This is my 75th book finished this year, thus meeting the goal I set for myself. I'se so proud of me.
Amy Lyle
The Sleuth Sisters offers the right amount of mystery and humor. The relationship amongst the sisters was relateable and heart warming. I started listening to it while I was wrapping Christmas presents and could not wait to learn how the story was resolved. I will read or listen to the other works by Maggie Pill. I enjoyed her use of multiple narratators.
Bethany Mead
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't typically read mysteries, but I was intrigued by the premise of three sisters starting a detective agency. I thought that the author did a good job of keeping you guessing about how things were going to work out. I feel like this was a more light-hearted mystery, rather than something dark. I look forward to putting the second in the series on my shelf!
Beth Kaminske
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot! I loved the grammar police. My favorite mysteries are ones with a bit of humor and this book delivers. The three sisters are very entertaining and so different just like real sisters are. Did I have it all figured out? Yes. Because of that and the ending are the only reason I have it three stars. The writing is worth four.
Julie Hendricks
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Too many of the so-called "cozy mysteries" are simply - to be blunt - very badly written. This is an exception. Well-defined, believable and likable characters, wonderful descriptions and places, decent plotting. I liked it enough to check out the writers other publications, and I don't do that often. And who hasn't fantasized about correcting misspellings on signs?
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent who done it!

I love the sisters. They do a good job of tracking down the murderer. It's fun to figure out what Barb will do next in her quest to rid the world of bad grammar. The Chief of Police adds just a taste of romance to this mystery. I would not have guessed who the murderer was. I. Will have to read the next book too.
Allie
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good read

I gave this book four stars because it keeps you interested, it's a page turner! Very good book! I recommend it to everybody.
Anika
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting sisters. I'm curious to see what happens next installment.
Jereeq
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the writing style ... first person but the person changed in each chapter!
Kathy
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable "cozy" mystery that kept my interest going well past my bed time!
Bonnie
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The Sleuth Sisters" is Book 1 in the Sleuth Sisters mystery series by Maggie Pill. It did take me a while to get into the story, as it is written in a very unique manner, moving back and forth betwen the voices of three sisters, two of which open up a detective agency that the third one wants to join. One sister has a law background, one is a motherly people person, and one is keyed in to the social nuances and people of the community (she is also pushy and likes to micro-manage).

A young woman
Billieusa
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started with this one and then read all 5 in the series. I hope Maggie writes MORE! I loved them. Over the course of 5 books, I have grown to love the sisters.

Besides the crime element, which is the main reason why I chose to start reading this book, the interactions among the sisters are very realistic. In addition, one character, Barb, has a habit that I have too, and I have never heard of anyone else doing what (we) do, which is to correct bad grammar and spelling whenever we can, though, I
  • Murder in Midwinter (Libby Sarjeant, #3)
  • Pineapple Lies (Pineapple Port Mystery #1)
  • The Moonglow Cafe (Paige MacKenzie Mystery, #2)
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red, #2)
  • A Pie to Die for (Bakery Detectives #1)
  • Chili to Die for (Willow Crier Cozy Mystery #1)
  • The Amulet of Amser - The Case of the Mona Lisa
  • Mrs Pargeter's Principle (Mrs Pargeter, #7)
  • Murderous Muffins (Chubby Chicks Club, #2)
  • Artistic License (Maggie Kean Misadventures, #2)
  • Presumed Puzzled (Puzzle Lady #17)
  • The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1)
  • Death Comes eCalling (Molly Masters Mystery #1)
  • Dangerous Behavior
  • The Temporary Detective (Isobel Spice #1)
  • Murder on the Hill (Harley Hill Mysteries, #1)
  • The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #1)
  • All the President's Menus (A White House Chef Mystery, #8)
Maggie Pill is Peg Herring, but younger and much cooler.

Maggie and her husband love to travel to places they've never seen before, where they often hike and walk all day with a "Let's see where this leads us" approach.

The Sleuth Sisters Mysteries (6 books)
  • 3 Sleuths, 2 Dogs, 1 Murder  (The Sleuth Sisters Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder in the Boonies (The Sleuth Sisters Mysteries, #3)
  • Sleuthing at Sweet Springs (The Sleuth Sisters Mysteries, #4)
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Wary (The Sleuth Sisters Mysteries, #5)
  • Peril, Plots, and Puppies: A Sleuth Sisters Mystery (The Sleuth Sisters Book 6)
“Women who raise teenage boys develop a certain fearlessness.” 1 likes