Start by marking “Haatchi & Little B: The Inspiring True Story of One Boy and His Dog” as Want to Read:
Haatchi & Little B: The Inspiring True Story of One Boy and His Dog

Haatchi & Little B: The Inspiring True Story of One Boy and His Dog

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  838 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews
#1 International Bestseller

When Owen met Haatchi, the lives of one adorable little boy and one great, big dog were destined to change forever.

Owen-known to his family as "little buddy" or "Little B"-has a rare genetic disorder that leaves him largely confined to a wheelchair. Before being united with Haatchi, Little B was anxious and found it difficult to make friends.

Haat
Published July 1st 2014 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 1st 2014)

Colleen Drummond
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Being part of the story I admit to being rather bias with my rating. Having read most of the reviews I was concerned to see several people stating they would have liked to have seen pictures. I can only assume that if you received a free copy it came without them as I can assure you there are definitely pictures in it as I took most of them!!!!!!! The Kindle edition also has the pictures at the very end so it is important to scroll through the acknowledgement in order to reach them. Our goal fro ...more
Carol  MacInnis
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won this book from a contest on Goodreads.

A defenseless five month old Anatolian Shepherd had been clubbed over his head into unconsciousness and was tied to railroad tracks to end it's life. But, by a miracle of God, this amber eyed puppy was found and taken to RSPCA's Harmsworth Memorial Animal Hospital. Hid tail and left rear paw were mangled and the vet removed both the tail and the whole leg. Even with the immense cruelty this young pup had endured by a human, he was happy to greet any an
Katie
Jun 06, 2014 rated it liked it

I was really excited to win this book on Goodreads Giveaways. I did like this book, but I had higher expectations for it. I did enjoy reading the story, and I appreciate the difficulties of writing about animals, but I think the narrative style fell flat for me.

One reviewer on Goodreads faulted the book for having too much detail. I fault it for not having enough (I guess you can't please everyone). For me, the book lacked imagery and I felt Holden was simply "telling"the story instead of "showi
Lori
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was a goodreads firstreads winner of this wonderful heartwarming book. If you love dogs and kids this is a perfect match. Get ready to have a hanky on hand. Haatchi, an Anatolian Shepherd was abandoned on a train rail track. he was beaten by a cruel "sub human" and left to die. he was hit by the train and it destroyed his back leg and tail. he was only five months old. He was rescued. had surgery that removed his back leg and tail. He was named Haatchi in honor of another dog who made history ...more
Natalija
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some people here do claim of too many details or lack of details, flat style of writing etc.
I would agree on the fact that the language (although my English is not my native, but still I can differentiate ;) )could be more interesting and the sentences not so simple, BUT.
I would really state that this book -and maybe it's just a period in my life and mind it fitted very well to right now - is one of the best STORIES I have ever read.
How little do we have stories about those dogs, rescued from sh
Christine
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book about sweet Owen, who has a rare genetic disease, and his dog Haatchi. These two overcame many odds to be together, and it was great to read about how they found each other. Owen and Haatchi had many struggles, but they worked through them and are a great team.

The only small problem that I had with this book was that it could be a bit choppy at times, and at others it seemed to ramble on a bit. Even so, I appreciated that there were so many important pieces to this st
Kristy
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy of this book from First Reads in exchange for an honest review.

This book was very powerful for me. I have an intense love for my dogs and think of them as my furbabies. In addition, I have a stepdaughter who is special needs so I understand things from Colleen's point of view.

That being said, the author does a wonderful job laying the story out for Haatchi & Little B's meeting with fate and their inspiring friendship. This book will make you feel a variety of emot
Bruno
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Dou 5* pelos hérois e super especiais Haatchi e Owen, mas pelo livro dou 3* porque é mais documentário do que romance.
June Churchill
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very touching story, I hope to be continued.
Wendy
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the most inspiring and heartwarming novels of 2014 is "Haatchi and Little B" which I won from Goodreads Giveaways. It begins in 2010 in London, England when a severely injured five month old Anatolian Shepherd tied to tracks on a railway line is rescued. In critical condition after the amputation of a hind leg and part of his tail, this young survivor named Haatchi, the namesake of a loyal and steadfast Japanese dog, faces being put to sleep if foster care cannot be found. With the help ...more
Mary
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!!
Haatchi & Little B: The Inspiring True Story of One Boy and His Dog is such an incredible story of love, devotion, courage, sacrifice, healing, and forgiveness. It's an inspiring true story of heroic people that refuse to be defeated by the inhumane cruelty of man, about those willing to go the extra mile and a half to save a soulful Anatolian Shepherd, found dying on a railway track and facing certain death. Haatchi & Little B: The Inspiring True Story of One Boy and His Dog is a magica ...more
Nancy
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won this inspiring book through First Reads. I like many I'm sure never heard of Schwartz-Jampel syndrome. This book will help get the word out about this rare syndrome. I felt so much for this family while reading about their struggles and was cheering them on through their triumphs. The bond of Owen and Haatchi was so heartwarming. I have worked in nursing homes that had let animals visit the residents there. I have seen the reactions the residents have when they have contact with them. The ...more
Sara
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book free through Goodreads first reads for an honest review.

Wow, what an inspirational book. What both Haatchi and Little B have been through so far in their lives and are still happy. Haatchi got hit by a train and ends up losing one of his back leg and most of his tail and Little B has an extremely rare genetic disorder which causes his muscles to permanently tense. This book is about their very special bond.
Little B was very shy and kept to himself until Haatchi came into hi
Gayle Line
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
My advance copy of this book was obtained through First Reads.

One might think the story of a three legged dog and a physically handicapped boy might be treacly. Or even depressing. I did not find it so. It was an enjoyable story and a pleasant read. Ultimately I found it uplifting. Despite the cruelty of whoever first hurt Haatchi as a pup, the book showcases the goodness of the people and organizations who rally around Owen (Little Buddy or Little B) and his huge Anatolian Shepherd. The resilie
Donna
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Those who said money can't buy happiness, forgot about puppies."

I loved this book. It was a tenderhearted story for being non-fiction. Sometimes when the stars align and all the pieces fall into place, it is beautiful. That is how this sweet little story felt. This friendship between dog and boy was heartwarming and not only brought out the best in themselves but it also brought out the best in those around them and even beyond.

Sometimes we have to roll up our sleeves and get to work because w
Lillian
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Thank you Goodreads for the opportunity to win an advanced copy of this book. I was drawn to the story immediately because I absolutely love dogs and I also have a great empathy for children with disabilities and their families.I found this book to be both heart wrenching and heart warming, inspirational in many ways,informative in a medical sense and an overall very genuine with it's insights into this special boy/dog/family dynamic . It really is a true life story that merits being shared with ...more
Allie
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
A heartwarming story of a brave little boy and his family who save a fantastic dog after he had suffered the most appalling cruelty.
Owen Howkins was struggling with his disabilities when Haatchi was introduced to the family. The little boy instantly became attached to the big dog, despite both of them undergoing operations and treatments. They support each other and despite the hardships they have both faced, neither of them complain. This is a lovely story, simply told. Nice illustrations. Rea
Deena Mayhew
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love animals and especially dogs for their unconditional love and loyalty. The true story of Haatchi and Little B was very heart-warming in that both received back even more than they gave in love, companionship and inspiration. The story is really about a family - no a community - of people that give their best to make the world - especially in the world around them - a better place. I sincerely hope that the story of Haatchi & Little B continues on and on as they both achieve good health ...more
Alexandra
Shelves: free
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads.

What a heart-tugging novel. The idea that so many have been helped from one pup and one special kid is an amazing story to hear in great detail and I liked that the author spared no extra word unsaid.
The bravery and strength of the whole family is encouraging and shining a light on this rare disease and animal cruelty with one fell swoop but with such admired zest from all really keep the tone uplifting and positive.

We should all be so blessed.
Joanne
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received "Haatchi & Little b" as a Goodreads First-reads giveaway winner. I am a dog lover & adore children, but neither was necessary to my enjoyment of this book. I was sucked in from the very first page. In 200 quickly-read pages, I experienced so many emotions, which constitutes a good read for me. It's a story about human kind - the worst, but more importantly, the very best. I highly recommend this book to everyone. I cannot imagine anyone reading the story wthout being "moved."
Indy
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
i won this book from the goodreads giveaway and i really enjoyed this book! i am a HUGE animal lover and my heart belongs to dogs so this was a HUGE roller coaster ride for me. i couldn't put it down because i just wanted to know what happened next. this was also a little different for me because it was all based off of 110% fact, stuff that really happened. usually, the books that i read aren't completely real, so finishing this book with a smile, definitely made me feel good.
Noena Hallig
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is a heartwarming story about a family, a boy and an adopted dog. I am not a pet person but this is quite an eye-opener on the plight of dogs and I assume, other pets also. It pictures a wonderful relationship where boy and pet seem to give strength and healing to each other. It raises awareness of Little B's condition as well as about animal cruelty. There's much to learn in this love-filled story.
Devyn
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Goodreads.
This is an extremely heartwarming read! I instantly fell in love with Haatchi and Owen. Their story and their accomplishments are just amazing. Being a dog-lover I am keenly aware of the bonds formed between animal and human and reading about Haatchi and Little B gave me warm fuzzy feelings!
I highly recommend this book to anyone <3
Kelly
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was a goodreads first reads winner of this delightful heartwarming book. I had never heard of Schwartz-Jampel syndrome before reading this. It always amazes me the relationships between a dog and their owners and the powers to heal. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a story to make you smile.
Airi Chan
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I received a advance copy thanks to Goodreads. When I started reading this book I can't put it down till I was finish with it. I had so much emotion in me while I was reading it. After I finih it I had to cuddle with my dog.
Ellen
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The true story of an English boy born with Schwartz-Jampel Snydrome and a rescued 3-legged Anatolian Shepherd and how the two of them and their family face the challenges with joy, hope and love. Good story. Now i have to go and hug my dogs and son.
Sarah Johnson
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was such a a sweet story. These two overcame a lot to be where they are today. The beginning is a little hard to read/listen to if you are really sensitive to hearing about animal abuse, but if you can get through that part it's a very heartwarming story.
Jennifer Siddiqui
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and found the story heart warming. Both the dog and boy helped each other overcome obstacles. I also learned alot about health problems that human and dogs face. I highly recommend this book to people who enjoy reading about animals.
Kristen Duever
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you thought the YouTube video was inspiring, wait till you read the book. There is so much more to the story of haatchi and little b.

The book is extremely engaging, often reading like a novel. Beautiful in every way.

Would have been nice if there were a few pictures though.
ℳarie-ℰve
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's a good heartwarming story that gave me a new perspective of what love is between a child and a dog and how having a dog can really helps sometimes . I won this and as soon as it came in i started reading it and couldn't put it down . Very well written and very touching story . I loved it :)
  • The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew At His Side
  • A Letter to My Cat: Notes to Our Best Friends
  • An Eagle Named Freedom: My True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • A Dog Named Boo: How One Dog and One Woman Rescued Each Other--and the Lives They Transformed Along the Way
  • It's All About Treo: Life And War With The World's Bravest Dog
  • The Great Grisby: Two Thousand Years of Literary, Royal, Philosophical, and Artistic Dog Lovers and Their Exceptional Animals
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
  • Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls-- One Flying Disc at a Time
  • Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship
  • The Second-Chance Dog: A Love Story
  • The Divinity of Dogs: True Stories of Miracles Inspired by Man's Best Friend
  • Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, And 3 RVs On Our Canine Cross-Country Adventure
  • The Stolen Dog: A True Story
  • Iris Grace
  • ABC ZooBorns!
  • Success Journal: Meet Your Goals One Page at a Time
  • Experiencing Spirituality: Finding Meaning Through Storytelling
  • Travels with Casey
Wendy Holden, also known as Taylor Holden, is an experienced author and novelist with more than thirty books already published, including two novels. She has had numerous works transferred to radio and television.

A journalist for eighteen years, ten on the Daily Telegraph of London, her first novel THE SENSE OF PAPER was published by Random House, New York, in 2006 to widespread critical acclaim.
More about Wendy Holden...
“Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has ordained that you shall live.’ Marcus Aurelius” 0 likes