Start by marking “Én på katapulten” as Want to Read:
Én på katapulten

Én på katapulten

Alan Parker er 21 år og læser filosofi på Universitetet i Maine. En dag får han besked om, at hans mor er blevet indlagt på hospitalet med et slagtilfælde. Han tager straks af sted til sin hjemby - på tommelfinger.

Den første der tager ham op, er en gammel mand, hvis bil stinker forfærdeligt. Den kørelejlighed forlader Alan så hurtigt, han kan. Han begiver sig ud ad en land
Published 2000 by Egmont

To ask other readers questions about Én på katapulten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Én på katapulten

Start your review of Én på katapulten
Rebbie
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is a novella that's super fast to listen to on audio- approximately 2 hours, so if you're pressed for time but still want to enjoy a great story, give this a go.

The gist is this: a young male college student hitchhikes (that word looks like it should be separated, btw) to see his mother after she went into the hospital from having a stroke. The men who pick him up change his life forever, including with how he looks at himself as a person.

It's not a horror story even though it's got some s
Carol
"FUN IS FUN AND DONE IS DONE"

Stephen King's RIDING THE BULLET is a creepy little ghost story with an eerie graveyard you should not enter, and a ghoulish spirit with a fast ride who delivers a deadly ultimatum.

Scary business "riding the thumb."

UPDATE: August 16, 2018 - Thought the movie version of the nighttime 100 mile hitchhike confronting demons both living and dead was awesome! Lots more to the plot compared to what I remember of the novella. Watch this Halloween for a thrilling ride!

Marie
Hitchhiking is dangerous now days as you don't know what kind of a person is behind the wheel of the vehicle, but it is more dangerous if you are reading about it in a Stephen King book!

A college student is trying to get home as he finds out that his mother is dying and he decides to hitchhike to get there faster. His first ride is twilight zone weird (what do you expect as you are in a King book), but his next ride makes him go cold and shivery as the man behind the wheel is supposed to be dead
★★★½
Riding the Bullet is a horror novella written by Stephen King. This short-story does not contain the typical blood, gore, and blatant suspense that you may expect when you think of horror, but it offers the subtle, f*ck with your head variety. It's a story about making an impossible choice, and those types of themes most always prompt self-reflection. That's where the horror comes in play. What would you do in a similar predicament?

They don't call Stephen King the king of horror for nothing
Matt
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A short story by Stephen King is a treat like no other, particularly one that pulls the reader into the middle of an exciting tale. As I needed to fill some time before my next major reading adventure, I turned to one of these short pieces. Alan Parker is a student at the University of Maine. He receives a troubling call that his mother is in the hospital after having a stroke. Without a vehicle of his own and worried about his only living parent, Alan makes the decision to hitchhike down to see ...more
Peter
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Absolutely loved this story. Hitchhiker, lonesome street, ghosts, classic car, a secret... great storytelling. You certainly get goosebumps by reading this novella!
Sumit RK
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is neither a out and out ghost story nor a psychological mystery. The first half has really creepy moments & keeps you hooked but the second half and the ending disappoints. Still a good fun read. ...more
Shannara
I finished this a while ago and forgot to actually mark that I was done. That was kind of how it left me feeling. I was very into the beginning and the creepiness factor was spot on. But then that tingling at the back of your neck fades into nothing. Not that the ending was bad, it certainly wasn’t. It was just a little underwhelming after the awesome feels of the first part of the story. I like it, but not one of my favorites.
Doreen Petersen
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Delightful short and story. Just when you think you know what's going to happen things turn around and you're stunned. Absolutely loved it! If you like Stephen King this is a book for you.
Kenneth McKinley
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A short and sweet ghost story that Stephen still excels at. As the calendar turned into the 1990s, it's no secret that his novels became more and more bloated. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy them. I simply happen to miss the days where he did more with less and I think that's why I like Riding the Bullet. While the story might not be original,mI'm positive we've all heard some variation at summer camp when we were kids, it's King's delivery that makes it so good. Throw in a moral dilemma t ...more
Lou
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent creepy story once you ride the bullet time is of the essence!

“ I’d hitchhike down to Lewiston, then out to our little house in Harlow if it wasn’t too late. If it was, I’d snooze in one of the hospital lounges. It wouldn’t be the first time I’d ridden my thumb home from school. Or slept sitting up with my head leaning against a Coke machine, for that matter. ”

" Not a single light out there except for the moon. The trees rushed by, writhing like spontaneous dancers at a tent-show revi
Stinky Girl
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An other good scarey short story by the master Stephen King.
Cande ♡
Good audiobook but I don’t know how I feel about the story. It was suspenseful enough to keep me reading (listening? Whatever) but the ending was a bit disappointing. I’m usually not a big fan of short stories anyway so 🤷🏻‍♀️
Brenna
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
One of Stephen King's notably shorter single works (more of a novella than anything else), Riding the Bullet provides the same manner of psychological torment as found in many of his short stories (such as in a handful of the latter tales within Hearts in Atlantis , for instance, or The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon).

That is to say, the creeps and chills are of a less visceral sort. This serves not only to make the book more accessible to the more squeamish amongst us, but to - in a sense - turn off
Sam Quixote
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young university student finds out his mother has had a stroke and so rushes home to see her, hitch-hiking as his car is in the shop (no mention of possible buses or trains he could alternately use), and he is picked up... by a dead man.

This is standard Stephen King fare with his interest in all manner of ghosties and ghoulies, and the encounter with the dead guy isn't that great but what saves the story is the man's reminiscences of his mum. He looks back at his childhood, his mum's sacrifice
Erika
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
I read this book back when I was fifteen or sixteen and I've been recommending it to people ever since, especially to those who are not such advanced readers. I just used it for a Literature class with sixteen year-olds and it did okay with them, considering they had never read a whole book before. I think Stephen King is the author to go to when working with younger readers (teenagers and up, of course) 'cause his writing is not over complicated, it's got some gore, some supernatural and lots o ...more
Marianne
"I RODE THE BULLET AT THRILL VILLAGE, LACONIA."

When Alan Parker learns that his mother has suffered a stroke, he drops everything to get to her side in time. Soon, however, he finds himself trapped in a car with a ghostly apparition who offers him an ultimatum. Someone's going to have to ride the bullet. The question is... Who?

Riding the bullet is a creepy little story,but thankfully not one of Stephen King's gory reads. If mindfuckery is your thing, this novella might be just what you need. It
Samama Reza
I listened to the audiobook version of this book and it was actually quite fun. I listened to it while straightening my hair, or while waiting for something or simply while doing house chores. Not because I had nothing better to hear, but because the story genuinely intrigued me. I’m keeping this review short. So in conclusion: if it’s a Stephen King book, it OUGHT to be worthy!

I am giving this book a 3 out of 5 stars

ElphaReads
Even though I went through a significant Stephen King tear in middle school with a few revisits in high school, he is such a prolific writer that I feel like I'm always discovering new things by him. When I was looking for a new book to listen to in the car, I stumbled upon RIDING THE BULLET. A little research told me that this was the first of his works to be released as an eBook exclusively at first, which is probably I wasn't aware of it. It was short and it sounded intriguing, so I decided t ...more
Carlos Emilio
Riding the bullet is the well known ghost story with a twist.

Though I would not call the book bad by any means it must be noted that it is not exceptional. The narrative is well written and does not bore. The pace is worked in such a manner that it keeps you entertained. Overall the style of the book is good and does not fail to deliver.

The characters show little depth due to the shortness of the story but all their dimensions required for the story are there to enjoy.

I think the biggest flaw is
Madiha
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
King at his creepy/horror best as always.
Amit
What to say, this short fiction of course will definitely worth your time. Must read book...

Alan lacking of vehicle of himself need a ride to go visit his mother in the hospital after a stroke. So he tried to hitchhike a car. So when in the 1st car he being picked up the driver was old man who repeatedly tugs at his crotch in a car that stinks of urine. Eventually frightened and glad to escape the vehicle, Alan starts walking, thumbing his next ride. Coming upon a graveyard, he begins to explore
D.G. Driver
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook of this novella. I highly recommend that version, for the narration was terrific! The story itself was fun and eerie. A good ghost story. It didn't have a big scare factor like some of King's other books. It had some rich descriptions that I enjoyed, and it intensified my fear of hitchhiking or hitchhikers. Worth a listen. I'd recommend it for 13 and older. Has some language.
Joel
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
3.5*

This is Stephen King at his finest

… At least the first half.

The narrative is fine and king’s prose is fantastic in this one. In the first half we can really feel Alan’s fear, while in the second half we can feel his guilt.

The story is very soulful and it’s going to touch us and make us wonder what would we do if…?

In the end, this is a Stephen King’s book and that means that the ending is horrible. Bad. Disappointing. Yet, this is a short story so if you are bored and you have an extra 45
Tgordon
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I had to read this short twice to understand. It about a son who in effect left his mom to go to college. She gets sick and he has to hitchhike to her side. Never hitchhike, that’s what your mom told you.
itchy
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
20october2019

read as part of the collection everything's eventual, most probably back in 2008, after 3april.
Mwrogers
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Short audio book. Would have been better if it were 20% shorter and with about 60% less angst on the narrator’s part. Not as scary as I had hoped.
Mike
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You pick up a book by King and you know it’s going to scare you, or make you think... usually both, just each time the mixture is different. Too different to know what to expect, nor what’s coming. The ride goes by quick though, and your heart doesn’t stop beating... and that strangers car you got in to drops you roughly at the end of that road.
Anna K. Amendolare
Loved it! If you're a Stephen King fan, this one doesn't disappoint. Everything you want in a terrific ghost story.
Frank
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This offering from Stephen King is sold as a stand alone short story (it is part of a short story collection, but the name escapes me, Everything's Eventual perhaps.) The plot is sort of a straight foreward ghost story. But, in classic Stephen King style, he makes it anything but straight foreward.

Over the course of a mere 35 pages (eBook version anyway), the story takes more twists and hairpin turns then you could imagine could fit into such a short story. In the end King leaves you even questi

• Throttle
  • Thumbprint: A Story
  • Wolverton Station
  • ماري كوري: حياة ملؤها الإنجازات والتضحية
  • The Long Walk
  • BRILLE, tant que tu vis!: Le roman de la seconde chance
  • Todos deberíamos ser feministas / Querida Ijeawele. Cómo educar en el feminismo