Start by marking “Zack's Choice” as Want to Read:
Zack's Choice

Zack's Choice

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  21 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Zack's Choice is a crime/heist/mystery novel. Zackery Gresham has his life all planned. His mother is a lawyer; his father is a federal judge; and he is Pre-Law at Yale, with Harvard Law School to follow before he joins his mother’s prestigious law firm. He plans to marry his high school and Yale girlfriend once he graduates from Law School. During a school break Zack take ...more
Published February 17th 2014 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Zack's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zack's Choice

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Zack's Choice
Tony
Mar 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
“You, a highly intelligent student at Yale University and the son of two well-respected attorneys, one of whom is a federal judge, claim you were persuaded to commit a criminal act of this magnitude within a few days of meeting this young woman? Do you really expect me to buy that? Just how dumb do you think I am?”

Not as dumb as the author expects us to be, it seems. The plot repeatedly stretches credulity well beyond breaking point, without offering even the flimsiest of lifelines to readers
Glen
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: firstreads, neo-pulp
I won this book in a goodreads Firstreads drawing.

A shallow book that doesn't really live up to its potential.

A college boy, on a motorcycle ride across America picks up a hitch-hiker. He thinks the hitcher is a young boy, but it turns out to be a girl, who convinces him she is the Chosen One by God to steal a religious artifact from a museum and save the world.

From there the college boy finds himself in all kinds of problems.

The book could be impr
Hazel
May 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I received a free copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

The first few chapters actually annoyed me as they were so totally unbelievable that I nearly gave up but I persevered.

It did get better as the story moved on but remained unbelievable and, at times, laughable by it being so unrealistic but I did like the style and pace of writing and although it took me a while to get to like Zack, I did eventually although his naivety astounded me.
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
(I received this book for free as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaways).

(This review may contain spoilers).

Ideally, I would have given this book 3.5 stars. It was an entertaining read, but I did feel that there was a bit too much telling rather than showing.

I did like Zack as a character, despite the fact he was a bit too innocent. He did come across as one of the nice guys and there were times I did feel a bit sorry for him.

The title could have
Mollie Waters
This review was published on Bookkaholic on March 31. You can see the article at http://www.bookkaholic.com/what-shoul....

Harry Gilleland, Jr., is the author of several collections of poetry and five books of prose, including A Wandering Warrior which was released in 2013. In early March of this year, Gilleland published a new book titled Zack’s Choice. A short novel at only 175 pages, the book is a fast-paced study of the consequences of choices.

The forces of evil are threatening to destroy the world, but God’s Chosen One
M.C.
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Zack's Choice is a fun read because the author had me completely discombobulated for the first few chapters. I am just as soundly conned as the main character, and that hooked me quickly into finding out what really happened. With a concise, one-event-after-another style, Mr. Gilleland
accommodates my need to know in spades and I pretty much inhaled the tale in short order.

Zackery Gresham is living a planned yet perfect life. Pre-Law at Yale, with a beautiful girlfriend whom he has known since high s
Katherine
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“The best laid plans…” is an often-used expression that describes the plot in Harry Gilleland’s book, Zack’s Choice perfectly. Zack plans to marry his high school sweetheart and follow in his parents’ footsteps in the legal world. First, though, he decides to take a motorcycle trip through the south. In New Mexico his trip turns into a not-to-be believed adventure. He meets a young hitchhiker who convinces him to help save the world.

“Zack’s Harley headed into the late-afternoon sun as he glid
Moon
Zack's Choice is a brilliantly written book about a young man named Zack who is going home for the holidays from Yale. Driving his motorcycle across America to see the sights has always been something he wanted to do. Picking up a hitchhiker, he decides to help the boy, with a bed in his hotel and a hot meal ... only to discover he has been stolen from in the morning... when he runs into the boy later he hears an apocalyptic tale and a dire need of help in saving the world that literally changes ...more
Britt
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Zack's Choice by Harry E. Gilleland, Jr was an amazing action, drama, growing up read. I truly enjoyed this novel and could not put the book down. Young Zack just wants to live his life and have a little cross country adventure before buckling down and going to law school at Yale. He never expected to meet and get mixed up with the likes of Robbie. Gilleland gives you the adventures of Zack and Robbie, what starts out as as weird mission turns into way more than Zack can hope or dream about. Gil ...more
Harry Jr.
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Zack's Choice has received its first review: 5-stars,
Reviewed by Jack Magnus for Readers' Favorite

Excerpt: "Harry E. Gilleland's contemporary fiction novel, Zack's Choice, is a first-rate adventure tale. The plot is fast-paced and very entertaining. ... There's a lot of humor ... Zack's Choice is literate, fun, and entirely unpredictable, and I enjoyed it immensely."

http://readersfavorite.com/book-revie... for full review

Another
Rebecca
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Zack's Choice is a fun, fast-paced adventure. His life had been planned out, as he embarks on a once-in-a-lifetime motorcycle trip. Zack was going to marry his high-school sweetheart, finish law school, and then work in his mother's law firm. The series of events and choices on this trip permanently altered the course of his life. We all know sometimes life will change direction. At the time it may seem for the worse. In retrospect, you may be grateful because it opened the door for something be ...more
Jocelyn Sanchez
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story was very interesting. From the start it had me guessing at what was going to happen next and every time, my guess was wrong and I was keep in suspense. I love that this book wasn't predictable.

Zackery Gresham, the main character, was interesting to read about because he was so rational at times. He made everything feel real and his skepticism was refreshing. Many character I've read about before are always so open-minded and self-assured about anything that occurs in their life, it w
Melissa
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won
I won this book in a goodreads Firstreads drawing.

I enjoyed the book. I saw some people said it was far fetched to have this prelaw Yale student to pick up a hitchhiker and go along with what happens, but I went along with it and enjoyed where the author took the story. I found it interesting to see what one encounter with a stranger completely changes how the main character was supposed to live his life.

I would recommend this, the book moved along quickly and kept my interest.
Gene LaViness
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed this book. It is a well paced easy read.

I gave the book four stars instead of five because part of the story was a re-telling of what had happened. It was essential to the story line though and well written.
ApuciKislanya
Kim Coomey
Carolyn
Amanda Moore
Mar 15, 2014
Harry Edward Gilleland, Jr. is passionate about writing. His poetry has appeared on numerous Internet poetry forums, in several poetry e-zines, in three multi-author print anthologies of poems and short stories, and now in four of his own published books. Harry has also published five works of prose -- a novella and four novels.

Harry is retired from a career as Professor of Microbiology at LSU He