Start by marking “Come un romanzo” as Want to Read:
Come un romanzo

Come un romanzo

I Diritti Imperscrittibili Del Lettore

I. Il diritto di non leggere II. Il diritto di saltare le pagine III. Il diritto di non finire un libro IV. Il diritto di rileggere V. Il diritto di leggere qualsiasi cosa VI. Il diritto al bovarismo (malattia testualmente contagiosa) VII. Il diritto di leggere ovunque VIII. Il diritto di spizzicare IX. Il diritto di leggere a voce alt
Paperback, Universale economica, 144 pages
Published September 18th 2013 by Feltrinelli (first published February 4th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Come un romanzo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come un romanzo

John
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya
First line: "You can't make someone read. Just as you can't make them fall in love or dream..." First U.S. edition of an eloquent defense of (among other things) the right to dip, skip and flip reading choices---available for many years in the UK, due out on this side of the Pond in November (but there are galleys).

Quentin Blake supplies both illustrations and an introduction. The latter includes a passage I'm still thinking about: "Am I just imagining it, or is there, behind all the tests and t
Lauren
This book is a gem. Something that any reader will hold close to their heart. The essays are translated from the original French work by the educator Daniel Pennac. The book is full of amazing quotes. Some of my favorites:

Time to read is always time stolen. Stolen from what? From the tyranny of living.

I particularly loved Part 3 - "The Gift of Reading" where he describes a classroom of high school students - the ster
Michael Finocchiaro
Daniel Pennac is a really interesting writer. He is a master of intertextuality in post-modern French literature. This book about writing reading including a reader's manifesto is a collection of four humorous and thought-provoking essays that was a real pleasure to read. I would highly recommend this one, but don't miss his more humorous books in La Saga Malaussène such as the hilarious The Happiness of Ogres or the Fairy Rifle.
Nikki
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Obviously, in many ways this book isn’t applicable to me because I’m not a parent, educator, or even involved much with children at all. I sometimes see them in the library when I’m on duty, but otherwise they have one world and I have mine, and never the twain meet (thankfully, since I’m dreadful with children). It also doesn’t apply to child-me: I read voraciously, exhaustively, incessantly, and my parents really did have to wonder not how to get me to read, but how to stop me. So it’s difficu ...more
GraceAnne
I am thinking of adding this to my children's and young adult literature class. It is such a profound paean to the joys of reading. John's review says it all.

I did add it, and here's something I wrote to my online students:

We need to look at Pennac's words from both sides: reading is indeed one of the most private of activities, but it is also one of the most shared. We take the story the writer gives us and it becomes something else in our heads or hearts or ears, because the tale is filtered t
Dorothea
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book.

Some of it is not quite for me. Those parts are about how to help a child or teenager who doesn't like to read. I was never that child or that teenager so I can't guess firsthand if the advice is good.

But I loved those parts anyway, because what this book is also about is simply loving to read. It's about loving to read if you are a child or teenager whose school is more interested in test results than real education, but it's also about loving to read if you aren't.

There are so
Janessa
Feb 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With wit, humor and passion, Pennac takes teachers and parents from the early years of a reader’s life through adulthood, mapping out all of the pitfalls the reader may encounter on the road to reading, and arguing that in the end, if our children do not read it is because we, their adults, have robbed them of the enjoyment of it. He develops ten rights that every reader should possess, and expresses the importance of these rules chapter by chapter, with anecdotes and examples. Quentin Blake’s q ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

THE RIGHTS OF THE READER is translated from French, which Daniel Pennac wrote in 1992. Pennac was an inner-city teacher in Paris. He believes that we need to promote reading for pleasure in order to get our young ones to read.

He relates many stories from his own time spent growing up and teaching. He believes in the power of the story. He thinks that when children are asked to answer comprehension questions when learning to read, all their love of
Nikki
Every parent, teacher, librarian, and person who works with kids should read this book. I wish we could get every administrator to read this book and really think about HOW and WHY we want kids to read (hint: it is not to prepare them for the end of the year test) and discuss how some of our efforts in the past decade have really eliminated the joy of reading and become too prescriptive and sterile. This book reinforced a lot of what I already believe, but has also given me a lot to think about ...more
Ann
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are many books that bemoan the fact that so many children don't like to read, and often various remedies. But these approaches so often turn reading into yet another chore (Track your reading ! Write down why you liked or didn't like the book). This book takes the other way around, and starts with the love of stories that all children have. When do they lose it? How do they lose it? And how can they regain it?

This book should be considered as a series of small essays rather than a how-to-
Claudia
Just when I was feeling pretty low about teaching in general, Pennac's book reminded me of the passion I have for helping students become the readers they need to be.

This is told in stories, in short essays, all surrounding the need for authentic, passionate reading. He begins with the sadness a parent feels when he realizes that child who used to love stories, and reading, and books is now struggling to read a required book for a report. The agony parents and child feel is something we can all
Sam
This is a superbly delicious book that delves into the heart of a read and puts it on show for all to see (and read) while also looking out how us bookworms, parents and teachers manage to ruin the reading passions without even realising it. Pennac delves right to the core of the issue and uses his own experiences as reader, parent and teacher to show where things are going a little wrong and how we can all put it right. This is a book for all, readers and non-readers, parents, singletons and th ...more
Andrea
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pennac brilliantly pleas against dogma and the sacredness of texts. You, the reader, can skip passages and not like a book. You don't have to read such-and-such which everybody must read. You might need to wait some years before tackling that BIG NOVEL on your shelves (personal recommendation: Life & Fate from Vasily Grossman). And more importantly, us readers USE books in all their materiality. They are underlined, folded, with coffee stains, and crumpled after falling in the bathtub.

This b
Marina Sofia
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much common sense in this book - we kill the joy of reading with reading comprehension (I can see its destructive effects currently on my two boys), with snobbery, with fads and fashions. I love the 10 Commandments of Reading. This is a polemical essay, rather than a collection of stories about reading (which is what I was expecting somehow), but there are examples given along the way.
I think I stuck with my love of reading in spite of school, rather than because of it. No teacher came close
Madame
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody!
This book is a source of laughs and beautiful thoughts about books and reading in general. It is beautiful, it made me smile so much! And I learnt a lot of French reading it, so double points for Pennac.

I recommend this to everybody. I have to warn you, though, about the spoilers of classic books that it contains. I was a bit upset when I read a spoiler of War and Peace, another book I'm currently reading.

But overall, it was an amazing book and a great company during my commutes and boring class
Courtney Louise
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was simply brilliant! I just started my book club and this book really opened my eyes and motivated me! I believe any book club leader, English teacher, and parent should read this book and really understand reading.

I randomly picked this book up at the library, not knowing what was in store for me. I read it in less then a day! I am impressed and recommend this book to anyone and everyone!
Walter
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who want some one to tell them they are right to be the reader they are
A core book in my life and work, and perhaps the book from which I quote the most. This is a book you will dog-ear, underline, and highlight passages so that you can read them to friends and co-workers. You will buy five copies to give away--I have given away dozens!

Really, if you haven't read this and you are participating in a forum such as this, why on earth not?
Amy Heno
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For all my Book Love teachers: this is a must read that will reinforce your own love of reading and how we think about and approach teaching reading; or more appropriately, how we share our love of reading with our students. Thank you Ari for this treasure.
Kirsti
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years ago, and it has still stuck with me. Here is a simplified, illustrated version of Pennac's Reader's Bill of Rights: http://bookriot.com/2012/11/28/the-re...
Elena
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This man is a genius.
MEGAN C
Nov 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Okay, so let kids read out loud and don't make them talk about what they feel so much. I can get behind that.
Speranza
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what it is about the French, but I am starting to develop an addiction. They challenge and mesmerize me like no other.

This little book will appeal to anyone who loves reading.
Kim Clifton
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and poetic love letter to reading. My favorite excerpt:

"By making time to read, like making time to love, we expand our time for living. If we had to think of love in terms of our busy schedule, who'd risk it? Who's got time to fall in love? But have you ever seen someone in love not finding time for it? I've never had time to read, but nothing's ever stopped me from finishing a novel I loved." (116)

And in case that isn't adorable enough, it's also got illustrations by the same guy w
Kritika Narula
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It had been so long since I fell in love with a book. I tried everything: reading the most obscure books, reading the ones topping the bestsellers charts, recommendations from friends, old favorite reads. Nothing worked. For a while I thought that reading Harry Potter had ruined me for other books. Nothing could match the magic. And then, when I least expected, this book came along while I was searching for a textbook. I finished reading it within the 4 hours of having met. It told me that "The ...more
Angela
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dead-tree-book
Sweet, humanistic, often moving. Similar vibes to Etre et Avoir, the documentary of French schoolchildren. Read this in one sitting and FELT VERY REFRESHED.
Anastasiaadamov
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
Amazing testimony to reading experience. I only wish I can find a copy of this book someday! It is definitely a book I would like to come back to and read bit by bit.
Melissa Bennrup
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend
"We go on and on about it. Good grief, it's unbelievable the kid hasn't understood those fifteen lines! “lf that's the way you want it, there'll be no television!"
Oh, yes!
Television given the status of reward...and reading reduced to a chore. What a brainwave."

As a parent on the brink of the tween/ teenage years l read this with the hope of shoring up my weaponry for the anticipated battles ahead. For this purpose it was an amusing, helpful and hopeful read. As an educator l would almost go as
Peter
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
If you are a writer for children you should read this book. It talks about how we learn to read, through being read to and how the magic of words fosters a love of reading. How education targets and school set texts that require essays can destroy that, and how we can re-foster a love of reading at anytime, simply by allowing ourselves to read what we like, when we like, allow ourselves to read out loud, to skip bits, to give up on a book, to re-read beloved books. All the things that help banis ...more
L.H. Johnson
Fiery, passionate and beautiful, vividly eloquently so, Pennac's fine book on the rights of the reader should be mandatory. I've read a lot of it before in extracts, or in the very fine poster that's available which features the ten rights of the reader, but I've never read the whole thing. Which is a shame, really, but it's something that I've rectified and I would urge you, if you have any interest in reading or pedagogy or cultural attitudes towards literacy, to not hold off in getting a copy ...more
Virginia Jacobs
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
This is hands down, my new favorite book, which is saying something because I haven't had a new favorite book since 1996 when I first read The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara.

This book is a delightful, whimsical treatise on the love of reading. I read entire chapters aloud to my husband because I could not contain my enthusiasm for this book.

Among the highlights of the book are the following passages:

What we need to understand is that books weren't written so that young people could write essa
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Club littéraire p...: Dîner littéraire du 21 janvier 2018 à 19h30 3 5 Jan 20, 2018 06:56AM

• Spiriti
  • Il matematico impertinente
  • Phantoms on the Bookshelves
  • El superhombre de masas: Retórica e ideología en la novela popular
  • In Praise of Reading and Fiction: The Nobel Lecture
  • The Complete Polysyllabic Spree
  • Un peu plus loin sur la droite (Les Evangélistes, #2)
  • Making the Match: The Right Book for the Right Reader at the Right Time, Grades 4-12
  • Macno
  • Oriana Fallaci intervista sé stessa - L'Apocalisse
  • A Reader on Reading
  • Non avevo capito niente
  • Le Choc Amoureux
Daniel Pennac (real name Daniel Pennacchioni) is a French writer. He received the Prix Renaudot in 2007 for his essay Chagrin d'école.

After studying in Nice he became a teacher. He began to write for children and then wrote his book series "La Saga Malaussène", that tells the story of Benjamin Malaussène, a scapegoat, and his family in Belleville, Paris.

His writing style can be humorous and imagin
“A well-chosen book saves you from everything, including yourself.” 219 likes
“Time spent reading, like time spent loving, increases our lifetime. ” 165 likes