Start by marking “Hidden Empire (The Saga of Seven Suns, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hidden Empire (The Saga of Seven Suns, #1)

Hidden Empire (The Saga of Seven Suns #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  6,711 Ratings  ·  458 Reviews
Having colonized other worlds, humans are certain the galaxy is theirs for the taking. But they soon discover the horrifying price of their arrogance when a scientific experiment awakens the wrath of the previously unknown Hydrogues and begins a war.
Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Published November 1st 2007 by Orbit (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Empire, please sign up.

José Osorio
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Felicia
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers who want a sci-fi infusion
Shelves: sci-fi
This series is the closest equivalent to an epic fantasy series in Sci-Fi form that I've read. I really really love it. The characters are really interestingly drawn, the worlds are interesting, the species are intriguing, I can't recommend it enough for the fantasy lover looking to cross over. It's a gentle transition. :)
David Sven
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A sprawling space opera. Big cast of characters, colonization of other planets, alien civilizations, FTL travel and space battles. Kevin J Anderson weaves a story of epic proportions and scope, using broad strokes to keep the plot moving forward, never allowing the multiple POVs and story arcs to get bogged down in too much detail or get sidetracked into tangents of spontaneous creativity (I’m looking at you again Hamilton).

Speaking of other scifi writers, I’m currently reading Alastair Reynold
Foomy
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of a sprawling, seven-volume space opera. It's massive, but it's important to note that Anderson planned the entire story out ahead of time, and that the entire series is complete. It's not one of those series that just keeps growing because the author wants to milk the franchise.

The first volume introduces a lot of characters and factions (seven or eight factions so far I believe). It can be tough to wrap your head around, but the story is pretty compelling.

I'm going to compare th
Colin
Sep 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for a good space opera and this sounded good. It is the first book in a long series and there seemed to be plenty of good comments on itby well-known authors inside the cover. I rarely let such one line reccommendations influence me and now I remember why.

Many of these reviwes describe the book as "richly detailed", others mentioning that the characters are "well drawn" or "complex". No one lied. It is richly detailed - the characters, the aliens, the planets, the spcaeships e
Lee
Story: 3.5/5
1: Being Vague, rambling plot with no little believable storyline
5: Ripping yarn, clever, thought provoking

I read this book years and gave it two stars, i just couldn’t get into it. So it was with some trepidation that I started again. A friend of mine was convinced that I would like this series. He recently told me to stick with Alistair Reynolds when I was on the verge of giving up and now I am a Reynolds fan. So, I tried this one again and I enjoyed it! Why? What is the differen
Josh
Sep 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kevin J Anderson gets a bad rap from the Star Wars books he wrote. Many consider them to be the worst books in the entire franchise. I was hoping that either he had improved since then, or that somehow the Star Wars books were just an aberration and here he is writing a truly epic science-fiction saga. But reading this book, I am reminded why I hated his other books and thought he was such a poor writer in the first place.

This book is almost unreadable. It's infodump after infodump. Between ever
Mike (the Paladin)
I really enjoyed this book. I've read it and the second while the third sits on my shelf waiting. I date back to the 60s and have read both good "space opera' and bad "space opera" this is good space opera. I tend to like what is called "Military Science Fiction" (though I've read some really bad examples of that). This one while it hits some slow spots here and there builds a good story.
Frostling
661 pages of space opera with all the ingredients readers are used to find in this genre: archaeological mysteries, impressive technology, exotic rogues, ancient civilizations and new alien menace. Yet this novel failed to grasp my interest. I found that everything was too predictable: the fate of Raymond Aguerra, the secret of the Klikiss robots, the discoveries made by the Colicos archaeologists. A trait that is not helped when most sections are developed in a bland manner, taking far too many ...more
Demiliam
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte
I picked this up because of all the praise on the back cover (ok, well I picked it up because one of the review snippets said it was "bursting with incidents" which, to me, seemed the book equivalent of saying a rom com is "the funniest movie of the year!" I had low expectations. I was still disappointed).

Mostly, I found this book blah. The prose is frequently patronising. If characterisation is done well I shouldn't need to be constantly reminded that someone was doing something "intelligently
Space Opera Fans : HIDDEN EMPIRE by Kevin J. Anderson 24 54 Jun 09, 2016 10:18AM
Saga of Shadows 2 22 Jul 05, 2013 02:24PM
  • In Conquest Born (In Conquest Born, #1)
  • The Seeds of Earth (Humanity's Fire, #1)
  • The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune, #2)
  • Judas Unchained
  • Conquerors' Pride (The Conquerors Saga, #1)
  • Crossing the Line (Wess'har Wars, #2)
  • Helix
  • Starship: Mutiny (Starship, #1)
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
  • Chindi (The Academy, #3)
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil Pear ...more
More about Kevin J. Anderson...

The Saga of Seven Suns (7 books)
  • A Forest of Stars (The Saga of Seven Suns, #2)
  • Horizon Storms (The Saga of Seven Suns, #3)
  • Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns, #4)
  • Of Fire and Night (The Saga of Seven Suns, #5)
  • Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)
  • The Ashes of Worlds (The Saga of Seven Suns, #7)
“We each have our lives... What matters is not how long those lives last, but what we do with them.” 17 likes