Start by marking “People I Wanted to Be” as Want to Read:
People I Wanted to Be

People I Wanted to Be

Gina Ochsner's award-winning, highly acclaimed stories have appeared in such publications as The New Yorker and The Best American Nonrequired Reading. In her eagerly anticipated new collection, Ochsner deftly examines the harrowing moments after a life or love slips away and discovers that the human heart can be large enough for anything.

A Russian couple come to accept the
Published May 11th 2005 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about People I Wanted to Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People I Wanted to Be

Kendall
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful collection of stories. There is an extraordinary amount of musicality in Gina's prose; her sentences, her words, just sing. Favorite stories: "How One Carries Another," "A Darkness Held," and "When The Dark Is Light Enough."
Illyria
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
You know that feeling when you're reading the works of a really good story-teller, the feeling that you're in good hands and are in for a real treat? Skepticism that slowly grows into trust, trust that grows into expectation, expectation that grows into anticipation?

Gina Ochsner is a good and successful example of discovery of a favorite author through recommendation. A friend recommended 'People I Wanted to Be' long ago, and I was sufficiently intrigued by the title alone to want to read it.

'P
Marieke
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
When I was little, I often fantasized about what my life would be like if I had been born Russian. Apparently Gina Ochsner also has an Eastern European soul.

Her characters are Finnish, Polish, Hungarian, Russian, Czech. Little miracles follow them around like bees.

Her stories are magical, quirky and redeeming. Everybody gets their comeuppance and the world remains just as flawed and beautifully perfect as we suspected it might be.

I loved all of these stories, but especially the very first one,
Adele
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Largely set in Eastern Europe, this tragicomic short fiction collection explores grief, love, and faith through the fascinating genre of magical realism. Ghosts sneeze and animals speak. Broken hearts are hurled over fences. Drawings come rebelliously to life. These are but a few of the enchanting happenings that propel Ochsner’s characters into unforgettable quests for redemption. Many of these stories read like modern fables — and all of them thrum with the absurd beauty of the human imaginati ...more
Ruba AlTurki
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
مجموعة قصص قصيرة، كما أُذيعت على محطة اذاعة البي بي سي ٤.
كل قصة لها سمة مختلفة وجو ووجود مختلف، ليست القصص بذاتها ما يعطيك ذاك الانطباع العميق الازرق ..الرمادي حتى.لكن بناء وتركيب الشخصيات ومحيطها فيه غرابة وتميز واختلاف.
Tammy
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
The title held such promise.
Tahni
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This collection is masterfully written, the stories full of nuance and moving between firm realism and supernatural gothic. Regardless of the tone or themes of the individual stories, they are all incredibly evocative, playing on subtle emotional exchanges, often between lovers but not always. None of the stories are repetitive, which I found remarkable, and a few are reasonably absurd and with the absurdity comes a dark kind of humor. It really is a fantastic collection with a variety of types ...more
Justin
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
I like to read and support local fiction, so I picked up this collection of short stories by Oregon writer Gina Ochsner, her second. Her first one, The Necessary Grace to Fall, I have not read, but apparently it won the Oregon Book Award.

People I Wanted to Be didn't impress me much. Ochsner writes, usually in the first person, very clear, direct prose, with little flair for physical description, despite the fact many of her stories take place in Siberia and other desolate Eastern European locale
Mark Oppenlander
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I am somewhat conflicted about this book. Gina Ochsner is a supremely gifted writer and I really liked her previous collection of stories, "The Necessary Grace to Fall," a good deal. I also have a personal connection with her, having crossed paths with her when we were both English majors at George Fox University (née College) many many years ago. So I am rooting for her to be successful. However, I simply didn't connect with these stories as strongly as I did with those in the earlier volume.

Th
Kim
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
I forced my way through this hoping I'd come upon one or two redeeming stories to make it all worthwhile. In the end, a couple of stories stood out a bit but not enough to salvage the collection for me. The prose was lyrical but the stories themselves just too detached and depressing (and I like a good tragedy). Honestly I couldn't figure out why most of the main characters hadn't just killed themselves already, and why any of them would want to bring children into their world. And what was with ...more
Pam
Jun 07, 2008 added it
Shelves: short-stories
08/03/08
TITLE/AUTHOR: PEOPLE I WANTED TO BE by Gina Ochsner
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Short Stories/2005/204

FIRST LINES: From 1st story "Articles of Faith" The ghosts of the 3 children set up residence in the kataa next to the fishing rods & burlap sacks of potatoes, behind the shovels & rakes.

COMMENTS:

06/07/08 purchase @ Discount Book Gallery (Decatur) for August discussion. Well written, the 1st story was my favorite. Not sure who of these characters the author would like to
Gerry Wilson
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
These are terrific short stories by a gifted writer! Because of the settings--several of these stories are set in Russia or Latvia, or they have Eastern European cultural influences--I thought Ochsner must be of EE origin. Not so; she's just an incredibly gifted writer who loves to research other cultures and render them in her stories. Some stories are achingly sad and funny at the same time. Almost all have a touch of magical realism, which she handles with skill.
sisterimapoet
I liked the atmosphere that Ochsner created in her stories. You were never sure quite what was happening, what was real, what was not. And yet at no point did they spin off into realms of complete fantasy or horror. It was more as if she had peeled back the sheen of normality to expose the unusual that lies beneath everyday experiences.

I'd love to see what she could do with a novel.
Heather S. Jones
Oct 25, 2007 marked it as to-read
i discovered ochsner from the nyer and captured this from one of her stories, can't remember which one: " as evening tipped into night, the moon roiled about as if cast on a fishing line. . . though i already had an infant hangover threatening to cut its teeth, i kept on drinking." vivid images, i am always impressed by such evocative writing. i can't wait to read an entire piece.
Jessie
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Read first 3 stories before the library demanded it back. So magical and unsentimentally moving. "How One Carries Another" has an odd resonance with Kieslowski's "Double Life of Veronique"--the stranger leaving clues to a truth somehow inside of the self.
Cathie
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book justifies my insistence of always reading a book through to the end. This book was a rough read until "When the Dark Is Light". From that point forward, the book was sooooo good it was worth all the torture that came before.
Ronni
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stories
This one gets a four as a way to say, no, it's not as good as Nec Grace. But that doesn't mean it isn't a 4.99...
Tuck
stories of magic and tragedy and ghoulish Slavic stoicism in the face of absurdity and pain. mmmm
Mike
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
wonderful short-stories
Adrienne
Aug 22, 2011 marked it as on-hold
actually this is one of my part reads books, all short stories but i'd to finish them and then review/rate....
Katy
Sep 14, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
i couldn't read the whole thing and gave it away..
Janet
Feb 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Read this on the way to Houston
Stephanie
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
this book had its moments of beauty but everything was so poignent and sad that it became depressing. so in the end I have to say that I wasn't a huge fan.
Estera
  • New Treehouses of the World
  • What He's Poised to Do: Stories
  • The Secret Goldfish: Stories
  • The Stories of Jane Gardam
GINA OCHSNER is the author of two collections of short stories, People I Wanted to Be and The Necessary Grace to Fall, both of which won the Oregon Book Award. Her work has appeared in The New Yorker, The Best American Nonrequired Reading, Glimmer Train, and others. She is a recipient of the Flannery OConnor Award, the Ruth Hindman Foundation Prize, Guggenheim and NEA Grants, and the Raymond Carve ...more