Start by marking “Mary Hades (Mary Hades #1)” as Want to Read:
Mary Hades (Mary Hades #1)

Mary Hades (Mary Hades #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  370 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
Not many seventeen year old girls have a best friend who’s a ghost, but then Mary Hades isn’t your average teenager.

Scarred physically and mentally from a fire, her parents decide a holiday to an idyllic village in North Yorkshire will help her recover. Nestled in the middle of five moors, Mary expects to have a boring week stuck in a caravan with her parents. Little does
Published May 4th 2014 by Createspace (first published April 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Hades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Hades

Mary Hades by Sarah DaltonThe Frenzy by Francesca Lia BlockThe Yearning by Kate BelleBlaze by Laurie Boyle CromptonFlicker by Kaye Thornbrugh
Hair in Face
63 books — 15 voters
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinBeautiful Creatures by Kami GarciaDaughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini TaylorClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepherd
YA Gothic
163 books — 322 voters

More lists with this book...

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Sarah Dalton and NetGalley.)

“Standing like a scarecrow in the middle of a crop field, is one of them. Its skull shines through its face, and haunting sunken eyes stare at me, dark as night. A chill passes over my body.
This is a warning.”

This was a really good ghost story, and I really enjoyed it.

I liked Mary in this story, I felt sorry for her with what she had gone through at the mental healt
Marga
Well, first of all that cover is simply gorgeous and I was in need to read a ghost book so I requested Mary Hades. I was liking the first parts of the book...

I did not get the creepiness that I expected.

The Plot:

Mary Hades had been put into a sort of mental institution since her parents find her weird. She is weird, in a way. She can see ghosts. She met a friend in the hospital, Lacey. Then an accident happened that killed Lacey. It scarred Mary, literally. She blamed herself for it. But the th
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
Mary’s been dragged to Nettleby, a small town in the north of England, for a family holiday, but when strange accidents occur that kill people around her, she discovers she’s at the centre of child ghost’s vengeance, and she has to figure out a way to keep all of her new friends – and old ones – alive so they can put the serial killing ghost to rest.

Mary Hades is a wonderful book, truly spectacular. It’s the kind of book that would be at home with a major publisher in their YA Gothic section. As
Abbie
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

Mary was an okay character, but she annoyed me a few times, so I didn't love her.
Lacey was a lot better than she was in the novella. She still had her annoying moments, but she wasn't as bad.

I did enjoy a lot of this, but there were a few parts where I felt bored. Out of this and the novella, I enjoyed the novella slightly more.

The ending was a bit disappointing, but it wasn't bad either.

Overall, An okay read.
Rebecca McNutt
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredible paranormal story, haunting and eerie with themes of friendship buried underneath the ghosts and dreary scenery.
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

Mary Hades mostly delivers on vivid descriptions when it comes to the murderous ghost, the time spent running away at night on the moors, and other scenes that are of the traditional and expected kind in such a story. I liked reading those parts, and the writing style in general, while not being exceptional, was pleasant. The novel introduced interesting ideas, too, especially the ones revolving around lacey and what she may or m
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I read My Daylight Monsters awhile ago and loved it! It was great as a novella, but I still have a few unanswered questions. So, I was ecstatic when I found out that it will be expanded into a series! And it did not disappoint! (Just so you know, it is not necessary to read My Daylight Monsters before reading this book, but if you get a chance to read it, go for it! It is a really great novella!)

Mary Hades sees creatures whene
Sherry Fundin
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mary Hades by Sarah Dalton is a creepy and fantastic tale of a girl who is able to see and communicate with the spirits, her vacation adventure that turns into a young girl’s ghostly revenge and I loved every minute I spent with her and her friends, leaving me wanting more.

To see more visit fundinmental
Jules
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is a sometimes very dark, funny, and mostly enjoyable murder mystery ghost story with a little romance.

I don't often read young adult books, but the book description caught my attention, so I thought I'd give it a go, and I'm so pleased I did.

Mary is a likeable, fairly mature teenage girl with a variety of issues. The main one being that her best friend is a ghost.

Lacey, the ghostly friend is a funny character that made me laugh on a few occasions. There are a variety of other different cha
♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
You can read this review and more on my blog:

Someone who has read fewer romances and watched almost no ghost movies, probably would have enjoyed Mary Hades more than I did.

When the book begins, it is after Mary was terrorized by her doctor and badly scarred in a fire at the mental facility she was sent to. It was like this was a sequel to
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, paranormal
This review is also on my blog: www.bookblogbird.weebly.com

I received a copy of Mary Hades in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to the author, Sarah Dalton, and Netgalley.

It's not often I go for a ghost story, but something about the blurb of Mary Hades drew me in and I'm really glad it did! It's the story of a girl, Mary Hades, who sees ghosts. Her parents think it's a psychological problem and Mary pretends to take the medication her doctors give her, but she knows the ghosts she sees
Lindsay
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.**

This is an amazing start to what I am sure will be an amazing series. This book left me breathless, and right on the edge of my seat (how cliche I know). Sarah Dalton is amazing at setting the atmosphere of a story, a way with words and characters. For any one who liked Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake you will love this book. It is decidedly creepier to me and there are some incredibly twisted dark
Princess Godoy
(I got this book from the YA Spring Fling from the author herself)

I have many problems from this book, maybe it's because I read the #0.5 of this book first and it's SO different from this one or there are many things in this book that I just can't digest.

1. Why does every guy in this book/series is perfect? and every one just likes her instantly? WTH?!?!?!
2. I don't know if my copy is missing some parts but there are a lot of scenes where I feel like it's jumping and the story is not complete.
Charlie
Feb 20, 2015 marked it as to-review
Shelves: sent-for-review
**I received a review copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley**

I read the prequal Novella to this book last week and loved it, I hope this book is as good.
Mary
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mary's NetGalley Catch-Up: 5 of 80

These are the people who lie awake at night, frightened by the stars above them, intimidated by how the world keeps turning and it doesn't matter if they live or die. These are the people who attempt to stop those thoughts by painting, or writing, or reading...anything to plug up that hole in the brain that gushes out a constant stream of consciousness.

Mary Hades is a regular girl who sees "Things." These "Things" are people with skulls, shades and shadows that
a_tiffyfit
review to come. wonderful ghost story. really enjoyed.
************
Full Disclosure: Review copy requested at Xpresso Book Tours; granted in exchange for a completely honest review.

I opened this book a couple of hours ago and read it in one sitting. Despite being a ghost story, I found the book utterly refreshing and different from other books I have been reading lately. With a touch of romance, a lot of sadness, a bit of horror, and a touch of hope, this book kept me glued to my kindle, utterly
Grammar*Kitten
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mary Hades is a fantastic continuation of where Sarah Dalton left off with My Daylight Monsters.

In this novel, we follow the exploits of our protagonist - former psychiatric patient Mary - and her best friend Lacey on holiday; the twist being that Lacey is in fact dead.

The book takes an excellent stance on what it's like for a teenager to be not quite normal; although it might not be that most teenagers are seeing ghosts, it really makes the reader examine what they would do in that situation,
Abbie
My initial thought was that this would be a Greek mythology inspired novel but it wasn't. I actually liked the story but it just lacked a bit of finesse for me.

Mary Hades, the girl with scars who sees ghosts and was diagnosed with schizophrenia. Her best friend is a ghost named Lacey and her parents are unconventional.

The race to subdue a murderous ghost named Amy from killing Seth (Mary's bf) was the primary plot of this book. This is the first book in a series so it wasn't very exciting yet. C
Kalla [A Bookish Nerd]
2/5 stars.

The romance was truly terrible.

Review to come.
Julie Powell
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable spooky story set in the atmospheric moors, where Mary encounters murder, ghosts and romance.

I do like this author's writing style, which is fast-paced and compelling. The characters are believable and realistic, despite the subject matter.

I don't give spoilers so can only say that if you love paranormal ghost stories, this book is definitely for you.

Recommended.
Holly
As some other reviewers noted, you may want to read My Daylight Monsters before reading Mary Hades. It's not strictly necessary, but this book does refer back to that one a lot and you should probably think of this one as the second in the series. Don't worry though - My Daylight Monsters is a Kindle single and can be bought for $1.99 (or for $8 or $9 physically), so it's not a huge investment.

For a self-published YA paranormal, Mary Hades is pretty solid. I honestly feel a little bad giving it
jasmine
Lindsay
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
The minute I laid eyes on this cover, I knew I had to read it. Yes, I admit I’m a cover whore. I’m guilty of judging books by their cover. One very small problem in this case… I jumped to conclusions about this book, and ended up being thrown for a loop. When I first started reading, I was expecting a mature read, dark and creepy. And while this book does have its creep factor, it also has a playful lilt to it that I wasn’t prepared for.

Something else I wasn’t prepared for… Sarah Dalton is Briti
Tiffany Michele (BookAndCoffeeAddict)
Mary Hades can see dead people. The seventeen-year-old is not only privy to ghosts, she’s also visited by “Things” – creatures with skulls visible through their flesh, who warn her of impending death and doom. These abilities led to her being hospitalized in a psychiatric unit, where tragic events resulted in the death of her best friend Lacey (you can read about all this unfolding in the prequel My Daylight Monters).

Mary Hades, book one of the Mary Hades series, takes place after My Daylight Mo
Katrina Southern
So as far as Halloween reads go, this was a pretty good one! It perfectly summed up what I love about Halloween: it's a time to scare yourself silly, but not take it too seriously. I've added a ton of Sarah Dalton's books to my TBR, but haven't read a single one of them until now. To start with, I'm pretty impressed with Dalton's writing style. There were the odd moments that it felt a little juvenile (some of the conversational banter was a tad corny, and I didn't like the huge amount of focus ...more
BookLoversLife
After the events that happened in the psychiatric hospital, Marys' parents think that what she needs is a break. They decide on a little village near the moors where they rent a caravan. To Mary, the idea of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with her parents is hell, but she knows she doesn't have a choice. Little does she know that this holiday isn't going to be a boring as she thinks.

When Mary gets to Nettleby, a little boy throws himself off the hotel roof. Mary sees his ghost and all he
Kimmy Mcloughlin
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I first came across the author, Sarah Dalton, when reviewing the first book in her series White Hart. I now have the privilege of reviewing another 2 of her books from the series Mary Hades. And yet again, Sarah's books do not disappoint. There is just something about all of Sarah's books, the covers just drawn me in immediately. Perfectly chosen for the story inside each.

After reading the first book (My Daylight Monsters), I instantly fell in love with Mary. Sarah's ability to enable us to do s
Kimber Wheaton
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

3.5 Stars

I didn't read the Kindle single My Daylight Monsters before reading Mary Hades. It's not necessary to read it first, but I think it would give the reader more insight into Mary and her ghost buddy, Lacey. I'm definitely adding it to my TBR since I'm quite curious about the events that occurred prior to this book.

Overall I enjoyed Mary Hades. Mary and Lacey are both interesting characters. The pacing is quite good, maki
Luu
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Una Mary mucho más abierta a intentar tratar con los fantasmas, pero que todavía les teme. Está Jacey como fantasma que la ayuda pero que está teniendo momentos malos que prometen ser una antagonista más adelante. También Neil y su novio que no pincho tanto como el primero, quienes son góticos y ayudaron pero no profundizaron tanto en ellos, lo que fue una lástima. Está Seth, el amor de verano de Mary quienes tenían más pinta de ser de por vida por el amor que se tenían en tan poco tiempo. Me gu ...more
C.
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a fan of ghost stories, and I don't like horror, but I really liked Sarah Dalton's "Mary Hades". I got sucked in because I liked the cover. This is a story about a young woman who sees "things"--I'm not certain if they are literal "in the flesh" things, or if they are visual representations of her ability to sense soon to happen deaths, doesn't matter ... great either way. Also, her best friend is a ghost.

This is one of those rare books that hits all the emotional notes right, was never
  • Playing With Fire (The 1st Freak House Trilogy, #2)
  • Sin
  • The Rose Master (The Rose Master, #1)
  • Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea  (A Narwhal and Jelly Book #1)
  • MARY: Unleashed (Bloody Mary, #2)
  • Summerlong
  • A Magic Dark and Bright (The Asylum Saga, #1)
  • The Ring of Lost Souls
  • The Crooked House: The Lilith Chronicles Book I
  • The Heartless City (The Gold and Gaslight Chronicles #1)
  • Suitcase of Stars (Enchanted Emporium, #1; La Bottega Battibaleno, #1)
  • Delete (Shift, #3)
  • The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse
  • Grave Possession (Wraith, #3)
  • Thirteen (Dark Carousel, #0.5)
  • Lost (Heart Search #1)
  • Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga, #1)
  • In Darkling Wood
Sarah grew up in the middle of nowhere in the countryside of Derbyshire and as a result has an over-active imagination. She has been an avid reader for most of her life, taking inspiration from the stories she read as a child, and the novels she devoured as an adult.

Sarah mainly writes speculative fiction for a Young Adult audience and has had pieces of short fiction published in the Medulla Liter
More about Sarah Dalton

Mary Hades (6 books)
  • Spirals (Mary Hades #0)
  • Possess (Mary Hades #2)
  • Nocturnes (Mary Hades #3)
  • Messenger (Mary Hades #3.5)
  • Haunt Me (Mary Hades #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Others wonder about the possibilities. Maybe the princess cheated on her prince with a dashing knight, ran away with him to live in the wilds, cheated on him with a neighbouring farmer and ended up working the fields for the rest of her life. These are the people who lie awake at night, frightened by the stars above them, intimidated by how the world keeps turning and it doesn't matter if they live or die. These are the people who attempt to stop those thoughts by painting, or writing, or reading... anything to plug up that hole in the brain that gushes out a constant stream of consciousness.” 2 likes
“Where does the story end? That's what it's all about. It's what we all want to know.” 2 likes