Start by marking “The Golden Widows” as Want to Read:
The Golden Widows

The Golden Widows

Two young women on opposing sides find their lives wrecked by battle...can they be restored by love?

As sister to Warwick the Kingmaker and cousin to the new young
King Edward IV, Kate Neville finds herself on the winning side of the latest bloody battle of the War of the Roses — and under pressure to marry again. Kate’s family want to ensure her new husband will be someone
Published August 1st 2014 by Harlequin MIRA

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Widows, please sign up.
Asteropê Doesn't look like there's a hardback edition for it. There's a paperback, though. No idea what country you are in (FYI, it helps to know this to…moreDoesn't look like there's a hardback edition for it. There's a paperback, though. No idea what country you are in (FYI, it helps to know this to direct to the correct vendors). For Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Widows-I... - PB for $34(less)

Brenda
At only eighteen years of age, Kate Neville was nevertheless a young married woman with a beautiful daughter Cecily; her young husband William Bonville was fighting in the battle of the War of the Roses. Living with her mother-in-law Lady Bonville was a chore in itself; Lady Bonville was “Queen of Shute” and had been for many years – her domination of the household and surrounding district was strong. When Will was lost in battle, Kate was desolate…

Elysabeth Woodville loved her husband Sir John
Rachael McDiarmid
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved it! What a great idea to write about Kate Neville, sister to the Kingmaker, and Elizabeth Woodville (although Isolde uses the Elysabeth spelling). The two stories weave around their lives pre each second marriage. And what they endured after their first husbands died in the battles of what we now refer to as the war of the roses, Elizabeth's husband was deemed a traitor after fighting for Lancaster so what she had to do to turn her fortunes around, for her son Tom in particular, was charac ...more
Mystica
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story dealing with two women from opposing camps was a good one. The very famed Elysabeth and the actual story of how she engineered a meeting with the King is a story of legend. Kate on the other hand is on the winning side - a Neville and a young widow to boot, a pawn in the game of politically advantageous marriages and under severe pressure to marry.

Both women need the protection of good men but during such a period of strife in Britain can such men be found. Elysabeth is penniless, fig
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews

*I wish to thank Goodreads and the publisher, Harlequin Australia, for a copy of this book, which I won in a giveaway.

It is a pleasure to read a book about British history and a topic I have been interested in for a number of years, the War of the Roses written by an Australian author. The Golden Widows is a historical fiction fused with romance novel that brings together the stories to two high profile female players in the famous War of the Roses. The first of these two women on oppos
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
I received a copy of The Golden Widows from the publisher through the Goodreads giveaway. (Thank you!)

I haven't read much historical fiction - aside from what Phillippa Gregory has written - so The Golden Widows felt like new territory to me. As someone who has practically no knowledge of British history, The Golden Widows was difficult to start and keep up (it took me several months to finish, but that's a fault of mine, not the book's), but closer to the end, I enjoyed it. This was especially
Sheree
I was introduced to Isolde Martyn with Mistress to the Crown, which I enjoyed and her latest novel The Golden Widows, even more so. I seriously can't get enough of the historical players in the War of the Roses, whilst I'm well-read on the history, Isolde Martyn's uniquely fascinating perspective made for a refreshing read.

The story sashays back and forth between Yorkist widow Kate Neville (cousin to King Edward IV and sister to the influential Richard Neville, known in history as Warwick the K
Kimberly
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Golden Widows by Isolde Martyn was a fantastic piece of historical fiction. Once I started I found it impossible to put down! I love historical fiction that gives me a new perspective on the lives of people I have read about previously. This novel let me look at what Elizabeth of York’s life might have been like BEFORE she met King Edward IV. All of the other novels that I have read that she has been a part of have been about her life when she first met the king or after she met him. They in ...more
Melisende d'Outremer
The story of two women, widows during the period of English history known as the war of the Roses - one a Yorkist (Kate Neville, sister of Warwick the Kingmaker) and the other a Lancastrian (Elizabeth Woodville).

The lives of these two women are told in parallel, and the events of the Wars of the Roses are seen through the eyes of these women on opposing sides. Eventually their lives intersect at the crowning of Edward of York as King of England.

Whilst the subject matter was of interest and this
Leslie
I have read a lot of nonfiction about this era,'the wars of the roses', so am familiar with the two main characters. It is a delight to have them come to life on the page with the imagined details of their personal lives as young women from opposite sides politically and the challenges they face to make lives for themselves after being widowed. Life sounds incredibly complicated and dangerous for women of the time, and makes me think I would have failed to survive within such strictures, not bei ...more
Sally Archer
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice change to see the female view on the War of the Roses.
Monique Mulligan
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it

I’m a bit partial to the War of the Roses/Tudor era, so I was keen to get stuck into this one … it didn’t disappoint. Like Mistress to the Crown, this novel is well-researched and engaging, particularly with the insights to life at the time. What really stands out is the description of what it was like to be a woman at this time. No matter how intelligent, how resourceful, women were still expected to marry and produce heirs in order to advance their family – they were pawns in families
Rachael
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I was given this book by the publisher. It is some considerable time since I have read an historical romance. I did enjoy this. The characters were believable and the situation interesting. It must have been an horrific time to be a woman - really the only way to get anything was through looks and marriage. The author does a good job of placing in this time and giving historical detail without bogging down the story.
Cathy
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to this book as I love Isolde's writing style. Unfortunately, there just was not sufficient substance to this story to hold my interest throughout. And to be brutally honest, I prefer Isolde's earlier novels - this new 'historical fiction' route is not to my liking. It is far too restrictive and leaves no scope for exciting story lines, such as in 'The Silver Bride'.
Rachel
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: history-books
The book is slow to get into (and for someone who doesn't know a lot about English history, there were a lot of names and details to keep track of!), and the ending felt much faster (almost rushed) in comparison.
Helen
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This a great story really well written and I fell into it from the first page I loved learning about the lives of past Kings and their advisers and their Ladies and how it was to live in these times. Loved reading about Elysabeth and Kate and what they went through to find love.
Maria
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love historical fiction especially about the time period of the War of the Roses. Isolde Martyn did not disappoint. One thing I particularly liked is that the author portrayed Elizabeth Woodville in a kinder light than a lot of historical fiction writers often do.
Lyn Barton
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book. Well crafted, historically believable, endearing plot. It inspires me to read more from this author.
Alicia
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I just couldn't get into this book to start with. It was pretty slow and I just didn't find it overly interesting to start with. It started to get better but then the ending seemed very rushed.
Shona
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww2015, historical
I really enjoyed this. It's great to read history from a woman's perspective. I liked that it also mentioned the death, losses the scars that the surviving soldiers had to live with.
Carol
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read. If you like reading of lives of women & men in early times.
Krista C
Cyber
Jul 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Colours of Gold
  • Outback Blaze (Bunyip Bay, #2)
  • Dust of the Land
  • The Silk Thief (Convict Girls #3)
  • Our Kind of Love (Boys of Summer, #3)
  • Luna Tango (Wandering Skies #1)
  • Burnt
  • Her Rebel Heart
  • The Brewer's Tale
  • Time Will Tell
  • Unforgivable
  • Right As Rain
  • Through the Cracks
  • Driftwood
  • Beyond The Sunset (The Swan River Saga, #2)
  • My Brother-But-One
Isolde is a lady with an absolute passion for history, and writing historical fiction is a wonderful way to share her enthusiasm.

Her debut novel THE MAIDEN AND THE UNICORN won a Rita for 'Best First Novel' in the US and the inaugural 'Romantic Book of the Year Award' in Australia.

Isolde has a History Honours degree from the University of Exeter, UK, with a specialization in Yorkist England, a lif