Start by marking “Kinesis (Kinesis #1)” as Want to Read:

Kinesis

(Kinesis #1)

**Alternate cover for ASIN B006ZDPVM8**

Clarissa Chapma
Published (first published January 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kinesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kinesis

Julie Powell
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book had me hooked from the beginning! A disturbing first scene and yet a fantastic start to an interesting and intriguing idea. Seemingly set into the future (or a world a little different from the one we know), this story involves a fascinating subject - telekinesis, and what could happen to those who have such a gift (or curse).

I don't give spoilers, but it is a gripping read, believable in an intriguing way, with great characters and splendidly written, in that it pulls along the
Ethan Spier
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't the first idea I had for a novel, but it was the first I completed. The idea was originally going to be a short story but it turned into a novel without too much effort and I'm glad it did.

I've given my own book 5/5 so feel free to chuckle at that (I would).

Thanks for giving it a go and I appreciate your reviews.
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 18/01/2012
Author: Ethan Spier
Recommended for: fan's of sci-fi thrillers
Edition: Kindle

I absolutely loved this book!! it is very hard to put down you just want to keep on reading it. I am glad it was a full novel as I wanted it to last forever. It moves at an enjoyable pace that keeps it up throughout the book. I will capture your attention and draw you into the book with little effort at all. There is no doubt that Ethan Spier is an extremely talented written and he will be your new f
Melanie
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The beginning of this book was a little bit amazing. I made the mistake of starting to read it on the train, and I'm sure the first two chapters would have had me in tears if I'd been reading it at home. The first third is fast moving and intriguing, but it slows a little after this.

This is a world where psychokinesis (PK) was discovered to exist around the turn of the millennium. But there is a horrible twist, for those who develop this ability also develop incredibly violent tendencies and go
Michelle Douglas
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This books tells of a robbery and home invasion where the two criminals were found dead at the scene. They had killed Leonard Samson's six year old son and had raped his wife and were about to rape his 10 year old daughter. Leonard himself had been beaten unconscious and when h came to the perpetrators of the crimes had been ripped apart. He was arrested on suspicion of being a Kinetic and the book tells his story after his arrest. It was an interesting read which leaves a lot of unanswered ques ...more
solitaryfossil
More Thriller than Science Fiction, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. My only complaint would be that the characters were a bit thin, they could have used a little more fleshing out perhaps. But the story overall was quite interesting, and I found this to be an enjoyable thriller. And I’ll also read the two books remaining in the series. Good story.
Hege
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I like the premise for this book, and wish the execution was better. Unfortunately, the writing (and proofreading) leaves a lot to be desired.
Ginger
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different

Enjoyed the book, but not enough to purchase the next two books. This can be a stand alone book. Interesting concept.
Slytherin Rose
Genre: Thriller/Mystery
Author: Ethan Spier
Book: Kinesis
My Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Will I read I read it again? yes

Intro: When two men break into Leonard Samson’s house, beat him unconscious and murder his six-year-old son, the police arrive to a gruesome scene. But they are shocked to find the mutilated bodies of the two intruders in the front room of Leonard’s home, while he waits in the kitchen with the surviving members of his family.

Clarissa Chapman is a DCI of Psychokinetic Investigations
David Clarkson
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The idea of telekinesis has long fascinated me and to find a book exploring the subject in a real world speculative context rather than within an overblown superhero story was what attracted me to this novel. The story did not disappoint. I enjoyed the concept of the “kinetics” gradually descending into madness and the need for the role of a psych-kinetic investigator to track them down. The pacing of the plot was well done and the climax, though predictable, tied up events nicely before leading ...more
Carol
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for 99 cents so wasn't expecting too much for my money but I was hooked from the first page. Its gripping first chapter leads you into a violent scene and moves you to want to know more. There were parts of this story that seemed implausible but it never interfered with my enjoyment. I tended to relax and go along for the ride as the story makes you root for this family which is in the wrong place at the wrong time.We are led into the lives of others that are different from most ...more
Marco Oliver
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book grips you instantly and had potential to be one of my favourite books of the supernatural genre, however it fell short of the finish line.

Based on the premise that all power comes at a cost, this book keeps you guessing as to the potential outcome of the protagonist who is quite endearing. Spier was able to "make me care" about the protagonists and kept me interested enough to finish the book. However after such a fantastic start the book fell slightly flat in places which was a shame
Georgiann Hennelly
A gripping read. I was hooked from page one. Two men break into Leonard Samson's house, beat him unconsious and murder his six year old son police arrive to a gruesome scene the multilated bodies of the intruders in the front room of Leonard's house. Clarissa Chapman is a DCJ of psychokinetic investigations a new area of police work. The Samson case is brought to her she suspects Leonard is a Kinetic. All Kinetics are blessed with the ability to move objects using their mind. But it can be a hor ...more
Sean Randall
I quite enjoyed this, although despite being supposedly proofread I still gritted my teeth at grammatical errors and inconsistencies. Par for the course these days sadly.

The idea here is terrifying, especially because the whole ethos is quite plausible. There's a rather unconscionable amount of government stupidity though, and the revelation at the end would've been best left to the reader to figure out, rather than handed over. Still, a good read and one I'd enjoy seeing progress in future stor
Philip
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The concept of this tale of developing human abilities in telekinesis was very interesting with echoes of other stories in this genre. Mixed in with a police procedural and the world of kinetics was an undeveloped and meandering relationship tale. Much of the book I enjoyed but I thought the relationship either should have gone somewhere or not been included at all. Unfortunately the plot was a little too telegraphed for my liking to raise it above three stars but nonetheless I liked the story
DoodlePanda
This book started very promising (and gory). The story is interesting, a world where kinesis is normal, but where everyone with the ability to move objects with their mind are immediately place in prison as they will go crazy and use their powers to kill.

Unfortunately, for me it kinda lost interest half way through. Though I was still interested enough to finish it, the story was catchy enough to make me want to know how it all ended. Readin the last half was a little of a chore to me though, as
Star
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book a whole lot more than I thought I would. It moved along at an enjoyable pace, the character development was on point and as a whole, this book kept me on the edge of my seat. Yes, as another reviewer had pointed out, the proofreading was not perfect, but the mistakes were few and far between. I am left waiting for the second book to come out for the nook then I will gobble it up. Overall, a very good book.
Neil Robinson
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly good book with a decent story and a great premise, Kinesis bridges the gap between crime thriller and sci-fi well, a good twist on the genre. The ending is a touch predictable, having been able to guess it two or three chapters beforehand.

The rest of the book, however, is very good. Not a classic, but certainly good enough to whittle away the train to and from Scotland into nought but a breeze.
Ethan Spier
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

I've given my own book 5/5 so feel free to chuckle at that (I would).

Thanks for giving it a go and I appreciate your reviews.
Megan
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like detective fiction, and I like stories about people with telekinesis. Unfortunately, most of the books I've found that combine police work and psychics usually take 'psychic' to mean 'telepathic'. This is not the case with "Kinesis", to my delight.

Well-developed characters, strong plot, brilliant twists, and vivid descriptions make this book a rare little gem. Fully recommended!
Robbie
Excellent! Good character development; plenty of action, suspense, some twists and turns, everything you could ask for in this very well-written thriller. I rated this one 4.8 stars and will be reading more by this author. Jim rated this one 4 stars.
Jacob Prytherch
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent first novel from a talented writer. Begins with a bloody opening scene that sets the tone for the rest of the book, with the author thankfully sidestepping the easy route and making a compelling first part in what will no doubt be a very successful series.
Anne Jackson
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for FREE off Amazon!
With action, suspense, some twists and turns
telekinesis
The characters had the ability to move or deform inanimate objects by mental power and what happened to people because of their power!
A good thriller keeps you wondering
give it a go!

Tim
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on the interesting topic of being able to control objects with the mind. Kept me riveted through & had an unpredictable ending. Free on Amazon, but I will happily pay for his other books.
Tammy
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very original !

It held my interest from the first word. The story is well composed. I really loved the characters. The title tells you what it is about....how incredible it would be to move objects with one's mind!
Ann
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinesis has an interesting sci-fi plot. It falls under the heading of it could be possible. I enjoyed it and feel Mr Spier did a good job telling the story. Kinesis could have used a little better editing but it is a good read. ...more
Dan
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting concept. Intriguing reading. The ending a bit obvious, it might have been nice to have some, any, kind of twist as it wound down. Many spelling and grammatical mistakes - this book is in serious need of proofreading. Liked it, but not enough to go on to the second in the series.
Hazel Thomson
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great read. Had me gripped and made you think 'what if'. I got this book free but I'll definitely be looking out for this author in future.
Belinda in Alabama
Interesting

Interesting

This book kept my interest but was a little slow starting. I would like to have kinetic powers but not if they made me,crazy,,,crazier!!
Jan
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An original story, well developed and good characters. I was really drawn into the book and found it to be quite gripping.

• A Reason To Kill (DI Matt Barnes #1)
  • Implant
  • 48 Hours (City of London, #1)
  • The Transformed
  • The Fallen Angle (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #2)
  • Viable (Cody Doyle #1)
  • Plaza
  • River Ghosts
  • Rumors of Savages
  • Ascension Day
  • Ghost in the Machine
  • Haunted from Within (Haunted from Within #1-2)
  • No Cure For Murder
  • Project Cyclops
  • Uncaged
  • Wrongful Death: The AIDS Trial
  • Sinema: The Northumberland Massacre
  • Vs. Reality (Vs. Reality, #1)

Ethan Spier was born in the middle of England in 1980. He grew up listening to music by The Beatles and reading books by Roald Dahl. While always having an interest in writing, it wasn't until he was twelve and started reading books by Stephen King and Arthur C.Clarke that he began writing short horror and science-fiction stories.

Ethan continued to intermittently write short stories through his te

Kinesis (3 books)
  • The Kinetic (Kinesis #2)
  • Corona (Kinesis #3)